Monteux - LSO - Egmont

Jerry

May 8, 2008, 1:46:44 PM5/8/08
For many years I had assumed that the Egmont Overture included in the
Decca/London
Double Set (443 479-2) was actually the Szell - VPO recording
misattributed
to Monteux - LSO. That was the claim made in the otherwise excellent
Discography
included in John Canarina's book "Pierre Monteux, Maitre." I had
never bothered to
even listen to it.

Well, I've compared the Monteux - LSO (attributed) performance on 443
479-2
to two other CD issues of the Szell - VPO Egmont (Decca Classic Sound
448 593-2 and a Japanese Decca issue UCCD-7036) and they're quite
different in total timings (9:00 for the Monteux "attributed" and 8:22
for
both Szell-VPO CDs plus other audible differences).

To my ears, the performance on 443 479-2 is NOT Szell - VPO and,
absent any other documentation, is probably Monteux - LSO as claimed.

Is it possible that earlier pressings of 443 479-2 were incorrect, as
Maestro Canarina claims, and that this was corrected in later issues?

wade...@hotmail.com

Jan 15, 2015, 10:49:08 AM1/15/15
My ripped copy of the Monteux set with the Egmont has a track length of 8:34 but the actual music concludes at 8:19 or 8:20

gggg...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2015, 4:04:32 PM1/27/15