Carmen Transcriptions

S. Muraki

Oct 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/17/00
I´m making a list of the Transcriptions and Fantasies from excerpts of Bizet´s Carmen by composers for Piano, Violin & Piano, Flute & Piano, and any other combination.
(The reason is the next 125th anniversary of the Premiere of Carmen at the Comique Theatre in Paris (March 3rd, 1875)

At first sight I can remember the following:
PIANO SOLO
1.- Moszkowsky´s Variations on a theme by Carmen
2.- Horowitz´s Variations on a theme by Carmen (this is an re-arrangement of the above mentioned one)
3.- Busoni´s Sixth Sonatina (which is a Carmen´s Transcription)
VIOLIN AND ORCHESTRA (OR PIANO)
1.- Sarasate´s Carmen Variations
FLUTE AND PIANO
1.- Doppler (I think)
ORCHESTRA
1.- Rodion Schedrin´s Carmen (ballet music)

any other titles I will apreciate.

Regards

Peter T. Daniels

Oct 17, 2000, 11:34:23 PM10/17/00

For what it's worth, the index to Leslie Howard's Liszt set indicates
that he _didn't_ do any.
--
Peter T. Daniels gram...@worldnet.att.net

S. Muraki

P.T.Schmidt-Hansen

Oct 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/18/00
Kaikhosru Sorabji (1892-1988)
has written :

Pastiche on the Habanera from "Carmen" by Bizet [No. 2 of "Trois Pastiches"]
for Piano Solo.

It has been recorded with Carlo Grante on the label Altarus Records Inc. 1993, AIR-CD-9098

Peter Thede Schmidt-Hansen

sch...@gefen.cc.biu.ac.il

Oct 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/23/00

I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned the Tschaikowsky Violin
Concerto, the first theme of which is stolen, note for note, from "Carmen."

-----
Richard Schultz sch...@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
It's a bird, it's a plane -- no, it's Mozart. . .

lbo...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2017, 8:57:45 AM8/8/17
A little bit late answer but here are some other transcriptions:

Bizet himself made a suite transcription of Carmen.
Al di Meola and Horgas Eszter Budapest concert 2008
Lagoya - Carmen Dances (guitar and orchestra)
Waxman - Carmen' Fantasy

Thanks for the other sugestions.

László.