Brahms Clarinet Quintet, Charles Draper/Lener

Frank Forman

Dec 11, 2015, 1:34:16 PM12/11/15
Brahms Clarinet Quintet, Charles Draper/Lener
2015.12.11

For the Lener Quartet playing the Brahms Quartets and the Clarinet Quintet
with Charles Draper (which I mentions in my last UPLOAD message on
December 8), it's on

EMI 66422 (2) Lener Brahms Q and ClQn (Draper)

It's in Chamber 2.zip.
Go to this folder:
http://www.filefactory.com/folder/e506defe41134d59
(It has gotten 102 downloads.)

or download it directly at:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/1wjpef9xa7nd/Chamber%201.zip

For the booklet, get it from
http://www.filefactory.com/file/1advg8rzrtaj/EMI%2066422%20%282%29%20Lener%20Brahms%20Q%20and%20ClQn%20%28Draper%29.pdf
It has never been downloaded.

I stated:
"Wlach's performance is gripping and devastating, while the VKQ is very
good. On the other hand, the recording by Charles Draper and the Lener
Quartet, has Draper's not as moving playing, while the Lener Quartet has a
subtle agitation that the VKQ lacks. I have placed MCA MCAD 80093, a
short-lived CD, which has the Mozart followed by the Brahms, on the folder
http://www.filefactory.com/folder/6363eb77dd9ed413 (Name is "Wlach Moz _
Brahms CD")."

I am generally not a fan of the Leners (not enough individuality), but I
know of no better performers of the Brahms string quartets (thinking about
Budapest and Busch). I regard them as the least of all the Brahms chamber
music, and it took me many *decades* to appreciate them. I haven't heard
the Lener Brahms Piano Quintet, but I doubt that anyone will do better
with this great work than Bauer/Flonzaley, not until designer children
come along.

I need to work up a list of Transcendental Recordings of Transcendental
Music. All 32 Beethoven piano sonatas will be there, not because each one
is fabulous, but because they all belong to the great journey. Let's see:
Schnabel for most of them, but

4. Backhaus stereo, for the lift into the Empyrean in the last two
minutes.
18. Robert Silverman, the only pianist who has convinced me about this
work.
21. Kempff mono
23. Gould, even if you hate me for this.
28. Robert Silverman, who makes Beethoven's most enigmatic work (along
with Quartet 13, both finales) even more enigmatic.
29. Backhaus, for being so authoritative (as opposed to authoritarian).

Of course, I can't give any fresh evaluations since my cohlear implant in
2007 has rendered it next to impossible to hear music. However and oddly,
my opinions on compositions and performances continues to change. Schumann
has gone down, because I find his instrumental music to be excellent but
without some works towering over others and standing out individually,
like Beethoven and Brahms do. One test: if a movement from one work get
substituted into another one, would you likely know the difference? Think
Haydn.

Mahler has gone up. Wagner continues to go down.

What is also striking is how certain composers write only a small number
of great works: Franck and Bartok come to mind. Franck the sonata,
quintet, and symphony. Bartok the quartets and the American works (never
did manage to love his viola concerto, though). Shostakovich? Very hard to
say. Bruckner? 4, 5, 8, 9 but not 7. All Abendroth, of course.
Tchaikovsky? I'll think about it.

But just generally, I'd rather have those three Franck works than all
Italian operas put together. I am not sure that a full restoration of my
hearing and an honest effort to rethink opera would change my opinion.
What I most miss, by way of changing my mind, is an ability to come to
personal grips with Elgar.

Meanwhile, give me your opinion of Draper/Lener vs. Wlach/VKQ on the
Brahms clarinet quintet.