Recommendation, Tchaikovsky Sym. No.4

Sung Hoon Cho

Jun 29, 1993, 9:11:10 PM6/29/93
My first choice is
Concertgebouw Orchestra, Amsterdam conducted by Bernard Haitink (Philips)
Unfortunately, this does not seem to be available on CD.

Then the second choice would be
Berlin Philharmonic conducted by Herbert von Karajan (DG)
This is Galleria series (Mid price) and coupled with Capriccio Italian.

Sorry. I haven't found such good performances as above two in DDD recordings.

Rob Holzel

Jun 30, 1993, 11:16:58 AM6/30/93

Jansons on Chandos?

K P Lee

Jul 1, 1993, 8:23:14 AM7/1/93

In article <1993Jun30.1...@progress.com>, hol...@progress.COM (Rob Holzel) writes:
|> sh...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Sung Hoon Cho) writes:
|>
|> >My first choice is
|> > Concertgebouw Orchestra, Amsterdam conducted by Bernard Haitink (Philips)
|> > Unfortunately, this does not seem to be available on CD.

Take a look at Philips 426 797-2, a 4-CD set: Tchaikovsky's Symphonies
Nos. 4, 5 & 6 "Pathetique", Piano Concerto No. 1, Violin Concerto,
Overture solennelle "1812", Nutcracker Suite, Capriccio italien,
Serenade for Strings, Slavonic March.

Claudio Arrau, Salvatore Accardo, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra,
Amsterdam, Bernard Haitink. I don;t know if this is the one you have
in mind.

--

K.P. Lee Philips Laboratories
(914) 945-6249 345 Scarborough Road

David Martland

Jul 1, 1993, 12:24:29 PM7/1/93
Rob Holzel (hol...@progress.COM) wrote:

: Jansons on Chandos?

Mravinsky on DG.
Jansons on Chandos.

Personally I'd avoid Karajan, and any version which gets all 3 of the last
symphonies on 2 CDs with one of them split over 2 CDs. Unfortunately that might
also hit the DG Mravinsky - although there may also be a version by him on Olympia.

Dave M

--
David Martland, Dept. of Computer Science, Brunel University, United Kingdom
email: David.M...@brunel.ac.uk

Haibin Jiu

Jul 1, 1993, 12:50:00 PM7/1/93

The best I have heard is a set of Tchaikovsky symphonies played by the
Leningrad Symphony Orchestra under the direction of a famous (now late)
Soviet conductor. It's on the Deutsche Grammaphon label.

hbJ

Anil Trivedi

Jul 2, 1993, 5:56:43 AM7/2/93
I would heartily recommend Claudio Abbado's DG *budget* disc;
it contains Tchaikovsky Sym. 2 + Sym. 4 .

-----

Rob Holzel

Jul 2, 1993, 8:11:58 AM7/2/93
>>>Sorry. I haven't found such good performances as above two in DDD.
>>Jansons on Chandos?

>The best I have heard is a set of Tchaikovsky symphonies played by the
>Leningrad Symphony Orchestra under the direction of a famous (now late)
>Soviet conductor. It's on the Deutsche Grammaphon label.

Yes, this is an acknowledged great performance. The Jansons came to
mind because it is DDD; the original posting lamented the lack of great
Fourths in DDD.

Boris Cournede

Jul 2, 1993, 6:35:25 PM7/2/93
There are two excellent recent recordings :

- Karajan with the Vienna Philharmonic in 1987 by DG
- E. Mravinsky with the Leningrad Philharmonic in 1984 by Erato

These are DDD(if you really need perfect technical quality, don't
buy Mravinsky's : it's a live and it's a little bit noisy).

Boris Cournede

Pablo Vogel Rosenbluth

Jul 3, 1993, 12:05:19 PM7/3/93

>>The best I have heard is a set of Tchaikovsky symphonies played by the
>>Leningrad Symphony Orchestra under the direction of a famous (now late)
>>Soviet conductor. It's on the Deutsche Grammaphon label.

The conductor is Yevgeny Mravinsky and is very good, the recordings are
in the begining of the 60's. Generaly speaking Mravinsky is very famous
but there is not much recorded material of him so is hard to find.

Pablo Vogel
pvo...@dcc.uchile.cl

gggg...@gmail.com

May 15, 2016, 7:03:19 PM5/15/16