Norman Lebrecht "A conductor on five continents has died"

Steve de Mena

Sep 14, 2014, 12:27:34 PM9/14/14
http://slippedisc.com/2014/09/a-conductor-on-five-continents-has-died/

Were my comments inappropriate?

Steve

Just in case they get deleted:

A CONDUCTOR ON FIVE CONTINENTS HAS DIED
September 14, 2014 by norman lebrecht
9 comments.
We are sad to report the death of Peter Sandor Er�s, a much-liked
conductor whose flight from Hungary in 1956 led to the most
international of careers. Peter, who was almost 82, was immediately
accepted in Amsterdam as associate conductor of the Concertgebouw
orchestra, moving on to a similar position with Georg Szell at the
Cleveland Orchestra.
He was music director of the Malm� Symphony Orchestra(1966�69) in
Sweden, with the Australian radio orchestras orchestras (1967�69,
1975�79), the San Diego Symphony and La Jolla CO and the Aalborg
Symphony (1982�89) in Denmark. In addition, he made nine tours of
South Africa, conducted the Israel Philharmonic and established a
foothold in the Far East. Peter was truly international.
A gifted teacher, Peter�s Amsterdam students included the Dutch
conductors Hans Vonk and Edo De Waart.
peter eros2
PREVIOUS ARTICLE
SHARE THIS:
COMMENTS (9)
STEVE SAYS:
September 14, 2014 at 3:39 pm
Never heard of him. Doubt others have either or you would have put his
name in the headline.
REPLY
MAX GRIMM SAYS:
September 14, 2014 at 4:00 pm
I had never heard of him either but not every person can have
celebrity status.
Here are some more details on his life.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Er%C5%91s
REPLY
STEVE SAYS:
September 14, 2014 at 4:20 pm
It�s �link bait� when you say a �conductor on 5 continents has died�.
It makes you think it�s someone you know, was famous, or care about,
not a filler story for a slow news day that needs a misleading
headline to get us to click on it.
�News is stuff you haven�t heard of before�. But I�d like it to be
something that remotely interests me.
REPLY
NORMAN LEBRECHT SAYS:
September 14, 2014 at 4:21 pm
Don�t like? Leave the site.
REPLY
ROBERT HOLM�N SAYS:
September 14, 2014 at 4:05 pm
News is stuff you haven�t heard of before.
REPLY
STUDENT SAYS:
September 14, 2014 at 4:50 pm
Steve, you might want to just crawl back into that little egocentric
hole you came out of�the many musicians, students and concert goers
who had the pleasure of knowing this fine conductor and teacher
appreciate this short announcement of his passing�obviously not every
bit of news is interesting or relevant to all readers�
REPLY
STEVE DE MENA SAYS:
September 14, 2014 at 5:20 pm
If he was so well known why wasn�t his name in the headline of the
story? I�m against link bait headlines, which are common here. I had
no problems with the story itself.
I searched Amazon.com and couldn�t find a single listing for this
�eminent conductor�.
REPLY
NORMAN LEBRECHT SAYS:
September 14, 2014 at 5:21 pm
You have been banned from the site before for persistent whingeing.
You are about to be banned again.
REPLY
STEVE DE MENA SAYS:
September 14, 2014 at 5:23 pm
Great way to handle criticism of link baiting headlines. Don�t bother
to defend it or deny it.
You�re a laughing joke in the classical music world. Ban away.
REPLY
LEAVE A REPLY
- See more at:
http://slippedisc.com/2014/09/a-conductor-on-five-continents-has-died/#sthash.LJcqEUBe.dpuf

operafan

Sep 14, 2014, 1:33:55 PM9/14/14
He was never an associate conductor of the Cleveland Orchestra. He was a Kulas Foundation Fellow--not the same thing.

Herman

Sep 14, 2014, 1:43:35 PM9/14/14
On Sunday, September 14, 2014 6:27:34 PM UTC+2, Steven de Mena wrote:
> http://slippedisc.com/2014/09/a-conductor-on-five-continents-has-died/
>

> Were my comments inappropriate?

yes, they were.

Ed Romans

Sep 14, 2014, 1:53:40 PM9/14/14
On Sunday, September 14, 2014 5:27:34 PM UTC+1, Steven de Mena wrote:
> http://slippedisc.com/2014/09/a-conductor-on-five-continents-has-died/
>
> Were my comments inappropriate?

Well to my (British) taste your first comment comes across as unbelievably rude in a public forum (even if it is factually correct).

But aside from that, many of the reports on Lebrecht's website are news items of orchestral players, or agents or other obscure people in the industry. So if you go there to read stuff, I don't see how you can complain anyway.

Ed

Christopher Webber

Sep 14, 2014, 2:08:10 PM9/14/14
On 14/09/2014 18:53, Ed Romans wrote:
> Well to my (British) taste your first comment comes across as unbelievably rude in a public forum (even if it is factually correct).

Seconded. I'm not surprised at the outcome, frankly, given the
circumstances.

tomdeacon

Sep 14, 2014, 3:34:28 PM9/14/14
Actually I think not. Unknown musician to all but a few students.

The term "link bait" is new to me. Many here do it too. Indeed, they use a
link bait headline, then post a link and nobody realizes that the
story/recording/artist is of no interest whatsoever.

I refuse to follow such links.
--
TD

Christopher Webber

Sep 14, 2014, 3:37:29 PM9/14/14
On 14/09/2014 18:53, Ed Romans wrote:
> Well to my (British) taste your first comment comes across as unbelievably rude in a public forum (even if it is factually correct).

And it wasn't even that. Here are three recordings at least which Mr de
Mena missed on Amazon.com, where he claimed "not to be able to find a
single listing". Hmm. I found them with a swift search on the
conductor's name.

http://www.amazon.com/Piano-Concerto-Giardino-Magico-Lieder/dp/B000009K53

http://www.amazon.com/Wayditch-Caliphs-Magician-Jesus-Before/dp/B000003LKO

http://www.amazon.com/Nystroem-Ishavet-Arctic-Ocean-Sinfonia/dp/B000000UGB

Perhaps Mr de Mena might consider buying these, out of respect for the
departed man.

Gerard

Sep 14, 2014, 3:38:16 PM9/14/14

"Ed Romans" wrote in message

On Sunday, September 14, 2014 5:27:34 PM UTC+1, Steven de Mena wrote:
> http://slippedisc.com/2014/09/a-conductor-on-five-continents-has-died/
>
> Were my comments inappropriate?

Well to my (British) taste your first comment comes across as unbelievably
rude in a public forum (even if it is factually correct).

====================

That's what he considers "appropriate".

tomdeacon

Sep 14, 2014, 4:02:32 PM9/14/14
I would advise against it.

I repeat: nobody really knew this man except his students, who are no doubt
grieving the enormous loss.

Lebrecht was simply filling space. Or his many minions were doing it for
him, as I doubt very much he has anything to do with that blog.
--
TD

tomdeacon

Sep 14, 2014, 4:06:30 PM9/14/14
Moreover, rudeness in a public forum. H-E-L-L-O! That's the norm in public
fora. The ruder the better. Perhaps Christopher thinks Lebrecht's blog is
sacred? Or a tea party? The guy made his reputation by slogging most of
today's active musicians. He doesn't like it, however, when the tables are
turned and it is himself and his bloody blog that is being attacked.
--
TD

Herman

Sep 14, 2014, 4:17:26 PM9/14/14

> Moreover, rudeness in a public forum. H-E-L-L-O! That's the norm in public
>
> fora. The ruder the better.

It's a simple idea. Don't start a polemic over an obituary. Just try, for once, to imagine your ego is not the centre of the world. It might even make you feel better.

Two. Just because someone is not famous in America, doesn't mean he or she isn't interesting.

Christopher Webber

Sep 14, 2014, 4:29:36 PM9/14/14
On 14/09/2014 21:06, tomdeacon wrote:
> Moreover, rudeness in a public forum. H-E-L-L-O! That's the norm in public
> fora. The ruder the better. Perhaps Christopher thinks Lebrecht's blog is
> sacred?

Just because it might be the "norm" does not - repeat, does not - make
it acceptable. And increasingly it is likely to lay people open to legal
action, in Europe at least.

The word is that you yourself are capable of considerable charm face to
face - how could it be otherwise, for someone who has made the excellent
career you have? - and I for one find your demonic forum persona
disquieting, to say the least.

Nothing is gained by personal nastiness on any forum (though we've all
been guilty of it when provoked). Speaking for myself, I feel upset and
unclean after any such spats: they achieve nothing, not even temporary
relief.

(I loathe Lebrecht and all his works, by the way.)

Willem Orange

Sep 14, 2014, 4:34:20 PM9/14/14
Lebrecht is a worthless liar and cheat

tomdeacon

Sep 15, 2014, 5:27:04 AM9/15/14
HaHaHaHaHa

That's rich.
--
TD

tomdeacon

Sep 15, 2014, 5:27:04 AM9/15/14
Christopher Webber <zarz...@zarzuela.invalid.net> wrote:
> On 14/09/2014 21:06, tomdeacon wrote:
>> Moreover, rudeness in a public forum. H-E-L-L-O! That's the norm in public
>> fora. The ruder the better. Perhaps Christopher thinks Lebrecht's blog is
>> sacred?
>
> Just because it might be the "norm" does not - repeat, does not - make it
> acceptable. And increasingly it is likely to lay people open to legal
> action, in Europe at least.

Just because people in Europe may be offended - and I repeat, MAY be
offended - is no reason Steve should not declare his lack of interest in or
knowledge of this musician. I agree with him, by the way: unknown.

One might well ask the question what happens to people when they join a
forum. Why the pretentious lecturing on mores? Why the presumption that
everyone else is a dumb bunny or a total boor?

Perhaps it is in the water in the UK? Last time I was there I had to spit
it out. Foul stuff.

Have a Scotch and just relax.

TD

tomdeacon

Sep 15, 2014, 5:27:05 AM9/15/14
Correct. Now, if ONLY this lamented (great.) conductor was known elsewhere.

--
TD

Willem Orange

Sep 15, 2014, 5:28:51 AM9/15/14
Yes your answer to life's problems - problem is if you drink too much you can get the shakes (as you know when trying to type)

Willem Orange

Sep 15, 2014, 5:29:42 AM9/15/14
On Monday, September 15, 2014 5:27:04 AM UTC-4, tomdeacon wrote:
The senile laugh at lots of things

John Wiser

Sep 15, 2014, 7:22:53 AM9/15/14
"Christopher Webber" <zarz...@zarzuela.invalid.net> he write

[awfully big snip]

> (I loathe Lebrecht and all his works, by the way.)

He is a particularly crappy novelist, fully as bad as the late Brown Meggs.

jdw

Ed Romans

Sep 15, 2014, 8:16:44 AM9/15/14
On Monday, September 15, 2014 10:27:04 AM UTC+1, tomdeacon wrote:

> Just because people in Europe may be offended - and I repeat, MAY be
> offended - is no reason Steve should not declare his lack of interest in or
> knowledge of this musician. I agree with him, by the way: unknown.

I am not personally offended since I did not personally know this conductor. I had also never heard of him. What I find "rude" is to interject in front of whoever might be reading the Lebrecht blog an immediate, agressive and attacking point that is essentially a side issue, even if true. Even if you don't like Lebrecht or his writing style, it's a basic courtesy to other readers. The Lebrecht blog is after all not a complete talking shop like this forum, even if it allows people to comment.

I should add that although Steve often points out factual inconsistencies or woolly thinking on this forum, I have never seen him take this tone before, so maybe he was just having a bad day.

Ed

Andrew Clarke

Sep 15, 2014, 9:46:46 AM9/15/14
On Monday, September 15, 2014 3:33:55 AM UTC+10, operafan wrote:
> He was never an associate conductor of the Cleveland Orchestra. He was a Kulas Foundation Fellow--not the same thing.

He was never chief conductor of the Sydney, Melbourne or Western Australian Symphony Orchestras either.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

tomdeacon

Sep 15, 2014, 11:40:53 AM9/15/14
Seems as though he wasn't much of anything Lebrecht or his minions said he
was. Steve's comment is looking more and more a propos.

--
TD

Matthew B. Tepper

Sep 15, 2014, 3:53:45 PM9/15/14
I've never heard of him either, but the fact that he was the teacher of Hans
Vonk and Edo De Waart makes him not-a-nobody in my book.

The headline, yes, was click bait. I remember twenty years ago, when I was
still bothering to watch television news, a talking head said, "Coming up
next: An actor known for having played The Joker has died."

Naturally, some people would have assumed the actor was Jack Nicholson, who
had played that character in the "Batman" movie five years before, but no, it
was Cesar Romero.

Now, THAT is bait-and-switch.

How did Lebrecht announce the deaths of Abbado and Maazel?

I hope you won't take this too badly, but Steve -- you're acting like me.

--
Matthew B. Tepper: WWW, science fiction, classical music, ducks!!
Read about "Proty" here: http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/proty.html

John Wiser

Sep 15, 2014, 5:06:23 PM9/15/14
"Matthew B. Tepper" <oy�@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I've never heard of him either, but the fact that he was the teacher of Hans
> Vonk and Edo De Waart makes him not-a-nobody in my book.
>
> The headline, yes, was click bait. I remember twenty years ago, when I was
> still bothering to watch television news, a talking head said, "Coming up
> next: An actor known for having played The Joker has died."
>
> Naturally, some people would have assumed the actor was Jack Nicholson, who
> had played that character in the "Batman" movie five years before, but no, it
> was Cesar Romero.
>
> Now, THAT is bait-and-switch.
>
> How did Lebrecht announce the deaths of Abbado and Maazel?
>
> I hope you won't take this too badly, but Steve -- you're acting like me.

Steve isn't half the jerk you are.

jdw

tomdeacon

Sep 15, 2014, 5:17:07 PM9/15/14
"John Wiser" <jic...@frontiernet.net> wrote:
> "Matthew B. Tepper" <oyþ@earthlink.net> wrote in message
Now, John. Try to be charitable. Perhaps marriage has softened MBT's edges.
(Or addled his mind?)

--
TD

Ed Romans

Sep 15, 2014, 7:20:44 PM9/15/14
On Monday, September 15, 2014 8:53:45 PM UTC+1, Matthew B. Tepper wrote:

> The headline, yes, was click bait. I remember twenty years ago, when I was
> still bothering to watch television news, a talking head said, "Coming up
> next: An actor known for having played The Joker has died."

I don't like to admit this to you, but I'm sure I'd have thought of the TV series first and read the article!

I also don't like to admit that I've never heard of the phrase "click bait" before this thread. It doesn't particularly bother me. What annoys me far more is the trend for new style (Win 8?) websites like Lebrecht's where something clumsily pops up every time you move your mouse.

Ed

Steve de Mena

Sep 15, 2014, 11:21:34 PM9/15/14
He gets money based on the number of hits to his site, so it is to his
benefit to get as many people to click on a link to his site as
possible. Many of his headlines, which are posted on Twitter and
Facebook, provide no further information. Naturally I was curious to
read about "A conductor on five continents has died".

Steve

Steve de Mena

Sep 15, 2014, 11:26:38 PM9/15/14
I searched on the name in Lebrecht's article and Amazon told me:

Your search "Peter Sandor Er�s" did not match any products.

Period.

Why didn't his headline say "Conductor Peter Sandor Er�s has died"
instead of "A conductor on five continents has died"?

Simple - he would have received fewer hits ($$$). This is what I
object to, his constant use of link baiting.

Steve

Steve de Mena

Sep 15, 2014, 11:28:41 PM9/15/14
For the 47th time, my objection was to link baiting. Not to the
obituary. Put his name in the headline, not "A conductor on five
continents has died".

Steve

Steve de Mena

Sep 15, 2014, 11:32:32 PM9/15/14
I've posted many times on Lebrecht's forums, typically pointing out
many factual inconsistencies. He's never retracted one statement, and
in fact banned me from commenting for a year or so.

I don't read the forums directly. I find out about his posts from
Twitter messages or Facebook posts he (or one of his staff) post,
which just include the headline. Too often they are misleading.

Steve

Steve de Mena

Sep 15, 2014, 11:37:53 PM9/15/14
On 9/15/14, 12:53 PM, Matthew B. Tepper wrote:
> I've never heard of him either, but the fact that he was the teacher of Hans
> Vonk and Edo De Waart makes him not-a-nobody in my book.
>
> The headline, yes, was click bait. I remember twenty years ago, when I was
> still bothering to watch television news, a talking head said, "Coming up
> next: An actor known for having played The Joker has died."
>
> Naturally, some people would have assumed the actor was Jack Nicholson, who
> had played that character in the "Batman" movie five years before, but no, it
> was Cesar Romero.
>
> Now, THAT is bait-and-switch.
>
> How did Lebrecht announce the deaths of Abbado and Maazel?

With their names.

"Prepare to mourn: Claudio Abbado is dead"

"Hard to believe: Lorin Maazel is dead"

Steve

Steve de Mena

Sep 15, 2014, 11:40:13 PM9/15/14
Ed,

How do you normally find out about stories on Lebrecht's site? If you
visit it directly, "link bait" is not an issue. But if you see them
posted elsewhere, such as Twitter and/or Facebook, and specifically
click on the headline to read the story, and it turns out misleading,
you've wasted your time and made money for Mr. Lebrecht.

Steve

Ed Romans

Sep 16, 2014, 1:48:56 AM9/16/14
On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 4:40:13 AM UTC+1, Steven de Mena wrote:

> How do you normally find out about stories on Lebrecht's site? If you
> visit it directly, "link bait" is not an issue. But if you see them
> posted elsewhere, such as Twitter and/or Facebook, and specifically
> click on the headline to read the story, and it turns out misleading,
> you've wasted your time and made money for Mr. Lebrecht.

I usually go to the site every few days or so by searching for "Norman Lebrecht" in the google toolbar in firefox and choosing the direct result for the site. This is probably how I navigate to 99% of sites I visit, even ones with obvious names or that I use frequently every day. I don't follow news on twitter, etc.

I understand your point that there is a hidden world of links and payments that I am obviously oblivious to. I was only commenting on your initial question as a casual reader of Lebrecht's site, that your comments seemed out of place in the comments to his post.

In the previous version of his site (a year or so ago) I corrected him on minor factual points and he re-edited the article.

Ed

Herman

Sep 16, 2014, 1:52:31 AM9/16/14
It was an obituary just the same. You don't start a fight over an obituary, it's that simple - also because you seem to have anger enough to start a fight over another Lebrecht problem.

Your basic objection boils down to "I've never heard of this Eros guy" which is a rather rude thing to say in resonse to an obituary. But maybe you go to funerals a lot to tell people the deceased didn't mean anything to you.

I have as many problems with Lebrecht as anybody, but this was rude, and you seem to be very proud of it.

wanwan

Sep 16, 2014, 2:37:33 AM9/16/14
Given Norman's reputation as Fleet Street Tabloider, why get upset about his using linkbait? It's not worth getting your BP up for.

------------
Eric

Gerard

Sep 16, 2014, 6:31:05 AM9/16/14

"Steve de Mena" wrote in message
==================

What's the problem with that?

Bob Harper

Sep 16, 2014, 9:26:13 AM9/16/14
Said the pot to the kettle :)

Bob Harper

Sep 16, 2014, 9:50:42 AM9/16/14
In article <QMWdnU66iLMjMYrJ...@giganews.com>, Steve de
Much as I hate to be a defender of M. LeBrecht, in many print
publications, the columnists don't write the headlines, editors do.
LeBrecht's article may have also appeared in print, or whatever
facsimile print magazines are using now.

-Owen

Steven Bornfeld

Sep 16, 2014, 11:51:45 AM9/16/14
On 9/14/2014 12:27 PM, Steve de Mena wrote:
> http://slippedisc.com/2014/09/a-conductor-on-five-continents-has-died/
>
> Were my comments inappropriate?
>
> Steve

You were once banned for "persistent whingeing"??
I must strongly object to this offensive characterization. I'm guessing
this is a Brit synonym for "whining"--totally unnecessary, and totally
offensive.
I shall never take anything that malodorous spambot flatulates seriously
again.
Your comments inappropriate? This is the web--he should GTFU.

another Steve

Steve de Mena

Sep 16, 2014, 11:52:20 AM9/16/14
Does anyone really believe he didn't write the headlines on
Slippedisc? They're very much in his writing style.

Steve

Steven Bornfeld

Sep 16, 2014, 11:58:12 AM9/16/14
On 9/15/2014 3:53 PM, Matthew B. Tepper wrote:
> I've never heard of him either, but the fact that he was the teacher of Hans
> Vonk and Edo De Waart makes him not-a-nobody in my book.
>
> The headline, yes, was click bait. I remember twenty years ago, when I was
> still bothering to watch television news, a talking head said, "Coming up
> next: An actor known for having played The Joker has died."
>
> Naturally, some people would have assumed the actor was Jack Nicholson, who
> had played that character in the "Batman" movie five years before, but no, it
> was Cesar Romero.
>
> Now, THAT is bait-and-switch.
>
> How did Lebrecht announce the deaths of Abbado and Maazel?
>
> I hope you won't take this too badly, but Steve -- you're acting like me.

See, I would have thought Cesar Romero. We're about the same age, are
we not? Jack Nicholson--he was that guy in "The Shining", wasn't he?
It was Cesar Romero--he was unknown before and after.

Next you'll be telling me the Riddler was someone other than Frank
Gorshin--geez.

Steve

Herman

Sep 16, 2014, 1:04:57 PM9/16/14
On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 5:52:20 PM UTC+2, Steven de Mena wrote:

> Does anyone really believe he didn't write the headlines on
>
> Slippedisc? They're very much in his writing style.

Maybe you want to sleep with him.

tomdeacon

Sep 16, 2014, 6:23:32 PM9/16/14
Puh-Leeze!
--
TD

Al Eisner

Sep 16, 2014, 7:48:07 PM9/16/14
On Mon, 15 Sep 2014, Steve de Mena wrote:

> I searched on the name in Lebrecht's article and Amazon told me:
>
> Your search "Peter Sandor Erös" did not match any products.

Try searching for "Peter Eros".
--
Al Eisner

Matthew B. Tepper

Sep 16, 2014, 10:48:58 PM9/16/14
Steve de Mena <st...@demena.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:-_SdnUyDkecMLYrJ...@giganews.com:
I forgot to ask -- how about Fr�hbeck?

And have you considered the possibility that Peter Sandor Er�s was a
personal friend of Lebrecht? I mean, even T*m D**c*n claims that Nelson
Freire is a friend of his, so things like that actually happen sometimes.

Steve de Mena

Sep 17, 2014, 6:41:54 AM9/17/14
Yes I was banned. I wasn't whining. Typically I would point out
factual errors he had made in a blog post.

I have stopped following him on Twitter so I won't see notifications
of new posts on his blog. If it is truly important I will hear about
it here, or from another Twitter post.

Steve

p.s. Just had Part 1 of my quarterly deep cleaning done yesterday. Wee!

Steve de Mena

Sep 17, 2014, 6:42:39 AM9/17/14
What gave it away? I thought I hid my carnal desires pretty well.

Steve

Steve de Mena

Sep 17, 2014, 6:46:34 AM9/17/14
On 9/16/14, 4:48 PM, Al Eisner wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Sep 2014, Steve de Mena wrote:
>
>> I searched on the name in Lebrecht's article and Amazon told me:
>>
>> Your search "Peter Sandor Er�s" did not match any products.
>
> Try searching for "Peter Eros".

Thanks. That brings up some CDs, but of esoteris repertoire, nothing
that I could listen to and judge his conducting abilities.

Does anyone here actually possess any Peter Eros CDs that they would
recommend?

Steve

Steve de Mena

Sep 17, 2014, 6:50:24 AM9/17/14
On 9/16/14, 7:48 PM, Matthew B. Tepper wrote:

>>> How did Lebrecht announce the deaths of Abbado and Maazel?
>>
>> With their names.
>>
>> "Prepare to mourn: Claudio Abbado is dead"
>>
>> "Hard to believe: Lorin Maazel is dead"
>>
>> Steve
>
> I forgot to ask -- how about Fr�hbeck?

"Sad news: Spain�s greatest maestro has died"
http://slippedisc.com/2014/06/sad-news-spains-greatest-maestro-has-died/

> And have you considered the possibility that Peter Sandor Er�s was a
> personal friend of Lebrecht?

No, the thought of Lebrecht having friends did not occur to me.

> I mean, even T*m D**c*n claims that Nelson
> Freire is a friend of his, so things like that actually happen sometimes.

He's friends with Nelson, I don't doubt that.

Steve

Steve de Mena

Sep 17, 2014, 6:53:58 AM9/17/14
I would have thought Cesar Romero too. (I was born in 1961)

Yes, Jack Nicholson starred in Kubrick's "The Shining". Great movie,
and even better book.

Steve

Steven Bornfeld

Sep 17, 2014, 12:02:21 PM9/17/14
On 9/17/2014 6:41 AM, Steve de Mena wrote:
> I have stopped following him on Twitter so I won't see notifications of
> new posts on his blog. If it is truly important I will hear about it
> here, or from another Twitter post.
>
> Steve
>
> p.s. Just had Part 1 of my quarterly deep cleaning done yesterday. Wee!

Periodontists (so they say) are like dermatologists. Their patients
seldom die, and they seldom get well. That's the breaks.

Steve

Steve de Mena

Sep 17, 2014, 12:49:58 PM9/17/14
I recently joked that I deserve my own reserved parking space in the
parking lot.

But I have a good periodontist and an excellent hygienist who has
really worked at it to find the right locations for the injections so
I don't feel anything. For anyone in the Los Angeles area:
http://burbankperio.com

Steve

Herman

Sep 17, 2014, 12:55:38 PM9/17/14
On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 12:41:54 PM UTC+2, Steven de Mena wrote:

> Yes I was banned. I wasn't whining. Typically I would point out
>
> factual errors he had made in a blog post.

No big deal, but whiners always think they're not whining.

Steve de Mena

Sep 17, 2014, 1:50:26 PM9/17/14
And the Lebrechts of the world think they are journalists.

Steve

Al Eisner

Sep 17, 2014, 3:35:32 PM9/17/14
"The Shining"? Think "Easy Rider", 11 years earlier, and close
to contemporary with the Batman TV series.
--
Al Eisner

Matthew B. Tepper

Sep 17, 2014, 4:21:49 PM9/17/14
Steve de Mena <st...@demena.com> appears to have caused the following letters
to be typed in news:Ro-dnYAMeMB5VITJ...@giganews.com:
There are worse things -- magazines that claim to be the record (so to speak)
of the music industry which pretty much ignore classical.

Matthew B. Tepper

Sep 17, 2014, 4:21:48 PM9/17/14
Steve de Mena <st...@demena.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:GdidneKU1uft-oTJ...@giganews.com:

>>> With their names.
>>>
>>> "Prepare to mourn: Claudio Abbado is dead"
>>>
>>> "Hard to believe: Lorin Maazel is dead"
>>>
>>> Steve
>>
>> I forgot to ask -- how about Fr�hbeck?
>
> "Sad news: Spain�s greatest maestro has died"
> http://slippedisc.com/2014/06/sad-news-spains-greatest-maestro-has-died/

OK, fair enough; when they are what folks like us would consider household
names, they get their name in the headline. The absence of a recognizable
name in the headline should be a clue to you in the future.

>> And have you considered the possibility that Peter Sandor Er�s was a
>> personal friend of Lebrecht?
>
> No, the thought of Lebrecht having friends did not occur to me.
>
>> I mean, even T*m D**c*n claims that Nelson Freire is a friend of his, so
>> things like that actually happen sometimes.
>
> He's friends with Nelson, I don't doubt that.
>
> Steve

Well, there it is.

Sep 17, 2014, 4:43:52 PM9/17/14
In article
<alpine.LRH.2.00.1...@iris03.slac.stanford.edu>, Al
In addition, "Five Easy Pieces" which has the clip of him telling the
waitress to put the chicken between her knees, a clip that's often used
when he's profiled. Also, the Witches of Eastwick, where he plays the
devil, or reasonable facsimile thereof. He appeared in the very first
Little Shop of Horrors as the masochist dental patient, and Terms of
Endearment, a romantic comedy. He was also in a ton of pretty bad
movies.

-Owen

Oscar

Sep 17, 2014, 5:05:28 PM9/17/14
On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 8:51:45 AM, Steven Bornfeld wrote:

> Your comments inappropriate? This is the web--he should GTFU.

I concur.

Oscar

Sep 17, 2014, 5:07:08 PM9/17/14
On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 8:52:20 AM, Steven de Mena wrote:

> Does anyone really believe he didn't write the headlines on Slippedisc? They're very much in his writing style.

Slipped Disc/Norman Lebrecht Enterprises has a staff of one. All from his pen.

Oscar

Sep 17, 2014, 5:16:18 PM9/17/14

On February 20, 2013, 9:30 am, Herman wrote:

> Obviously I don't despise Obama. I admire him. He's one of the smartest people in power anywhere anytime.

And sooo dreamy: http://tinyurl.com/pl7sp4c

Christopher Webber

Sep 17, 2014, 5:20:44 PM9/17/14
On 17/09/2014 22:05, Oscar replied to somebody or other:
>> Your comments inappropriate? This is the web--he should GTFU.
> I concur.

If "growing up" means sitting schtum through every gobbet of ill-bred,
bully-boy tosh that gets spat over the web, then I for one hope Mr
Lebrecht remains a child.

This was a clear case of vulgar, smart-assed discourtesy to a dead
musician, and it's Mr de Mena who needs to "man up" and admit he made a
faux pas, which fully deserved the ban he got from a decent forum. I'd
like to think a little corner of him can faintly perceive that - unless
his original post about it here was intended as a piece of childish,
playground bragging.

The brutal truth is, that we need the rude comments of Mr de Mena and
his kind far less than we need the relatively obscure, but worthwhile
artistic and teaching endeavours of Mr Er�s.

Steven Bornfeld

Sep 17, 2014, 5:48:50 PM9/17/14
On 9/17/2014 4:43 PM, O wrote:

> In addition, "Five Easy Pieces" which has the clip of him telling the
> waitress to put the chicken between her knees,

That's "HOLD the chicken..."

Sep 17, 2014, 6:25:51 PM9/17/14
In article <c7uc9c...@mid.individual.net>, Christopher Webber
<zarz...@zarzuela.invalid.net> wrote:

> On 17/09/2014 22:05, Oscar replied to somebody or other:
> >> Your comments inappropriate? This is the web--he should GTFU.
> > I concur.
> >

> If "growing up" means sitting schtum through every gobbet of ill-bred,
> bully-boy tosh that gets spat over the web, then I for one hope Mr
> Lebrecht remains a child.

I don't believe there's much fear he'll grow up anytime soon. LeBrecht
is the TMZ of classical music.

> This was a clear case of vulgar, smart-assed discourtesy to a dead
> musician, and it's Mr de Mena who needs to "man up" and admit he made a
> faux pas, which fully deserved the ban he got from a decent forum. I'd
> like to think a little corner of him can faintly perceive that - unless
> his original post about it here was intended as a piece of childish,
> playground bragging.
>
> The brutal truth is, that we need the rude comments of Mr de Mena and
> his kind far less than we need the relatively obscure, but worthwhile
> artistic and teaching endeavours of Mr Er�s.

I think thou doth protest too much. This is hardly the stuff of major
quarrels. Mr. Er�s never got more lines of prose than he has just had
here. When I read the five continents headline, I thought he did all
five at the same time, straddling the Earth like a Colossus of Rhodes
Island.

-Owen, If this is Antarctica, then it must be Schumann

Al Eisner

Sep 17, 2014, 7:46:30 PM9/17/14
And at least one great one: "Chinatown".
--
Al Eisner

Steve de Mena

Sep 18, 2014, 12:07:35 AM9/18/14
*Plonk*

Christopher Webber

Sep 18, 2014, 4:00:11 AM9/18/14
On 18/09/2014 05:07, Steve de Mena wrote:
> *Plonk*

The prosecution rests.

Christopher Webber

Sep 18, 2014, 4:01:50 AM9/18/14
On 17/09/2014 23:25, O wrote:
> This is hardly the stuff of major
> quarrels.

I agree that it is not worth wasting too many more words on Mr de Mena's
internet politesse.

John Wiser

Sep 18, 2014, 4:09:41 AM9/18/14
"Christopher Webber" <zarz...@zarzuela.invalid.net> wrote in message
> On 18/09/2014 05:07, Steve de Mena wrote:
>> *Plonk*
>
> The prosecution rests.

It seems quite likely
that Steve de Mena learned his usenet manners
at the pudgy knee of Matthew B. Tepper.

jdw

Gerard

Sep 18, 2014, 4:23:09 AM9/18/14

"Steve de Mena" wrote in message
================

HAHAHAHA.
Soooooooooooooooooo predictable !

tomdeacon

Sep 18, 2014, 7:14:32 AM9/18/14
> artistic and teaching endeavours of Mr Erös.

What a sententious remark. Bullshit has that ability, it seems.

--
TD

Christopher Webber

Sep 18, 2014, 7:33:17 AM9/18/14
On 18/09/2014 12:14, tomdeacon wrote:
> What a sententious remark.

As you know, Tom, sententiousness is sometimes the right response. Mr de
Mena has on this occasion overstepped the bounds of common courtesy to
the dead, and deserves a verbal finger-wagging.

tomdeacon

Sep 18, 2014, 11:17:12 AM9/18/14
>> artistic and teaching endeavours of Mr Erös.
>
> *Plonk*
>
> ================
>
> HAHAHAHA.
> Soooooooooooooooooo predictable !

Well, although I don't belueve in that decision, I certainly don't blame
Steve. CW is obstinately high-handed, not to say officious and
argumentative here. Another self-styled know-it-all in the manner of
Michael whatshisname. In person he would be seen as an offensive boor.but
you can always ignore such Internet creeps if you choose to do so. No need
for mechanisms in order to ignore someone.

--
TD

tomdeacon

Sep 18, 2014, 11:18:15 AM9/18/14
Common courtesy is just that, common.

If you choose to be common, by all means do so on your own nickel.
--
TD

Christopher Webber

Sep 18, 2014, 11:25:16 AM9/18/14
On 18/09/2014 16:17, tomdeacon wrote:
> Well, although I don't belueve in that decision, I certainly don't blame
> Steve.

Nor do I. Indeed, I thank him.

It will be a relief not to have to wade through his senescent Shafts of
Wit (if you'll pardon the spoonerism) in response to my own glowing
jewels of sententiousness.

Willem Orange

Sep 18, 2014, 11:49:40 AM9/18/14
Nickel???? you have about 5 dollars of common. A real low life

Willem Orange

Sep 18, 2014, 11:51:53 AM9/18/14
Chris scares you - he has more intelligence, wit and knowledge allied to a discernment that is totally beyond your low life personality - he's just another in the long line of personal threats to you that have shown up here - you pathetic little man

Christopher Webber

Sep 18, 2014, 11:54:55 AM9/18/14
On 18/09/2014 16:18, tomdeacon wrote:
> If you choose to be common, by all means do so on your own nickel.

Tom, thank you! You have made my day. I've been trying without success
to be common for many decades, but it seems that I have finally made the
cut. I only wish I had a nickel to frank the accolade.

Willem Orange

Sep 18, 2014, 12:00:36 PM9/18/14
We should all be so common.

Norman Schwartz

Sep 18, 2014, 12:39:40 PM9/18/14
That reminds me. I've been watching parts Ken Burns' films on The Roosevelts
on my local PBS station. It was pointed out that FDR made a special effort
to appear 'common' in order to appeal to his electorate. In fact actual
photos of him were shown with his chin held up high and nose up in the air
as if he was 'looking down his nose' at the world. So sometimes common,
'good'.
(http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-roosevelts/)

Gerard

Sep 18, 2014, 1:11:51 PM9/18/14
"tomdeacon" wrote in message
=============

Sorry Tom, No one is like that Michael (M Forever).
Compared to him everyone is like a .... likable guy.
(Almost everyone - a few exceptions of course ;-) )

tomdeacon

Sep 18, 2014, 1:20:42 PM9/18/14
You're probably right. Another friend of little Dickey, our local opera
queen. He sure does pick'em.

--
TD

tomdeacon

Sep 18, 2014, 1:20:43 PM9/18/14
Willem Orange <ivanm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, September 18, 2014 11:17:12 AM UTC-4, tomdeacon wrote:
>> "Gerard" <ghe-nospa...@live.com> wrote:

>>> *Plonk*
>>

>>> ===============>
>>>

>>> HAHAHAHA.
>>
>>> Soooooooooooooooooo predictable !
>>

>> Well, although I don't belueve in that decision, I certainly don't blame
>>
>> Steve. CW is obstinately high-handed, not to say officious and
>>
>> argumentative here. Another self-styled know-it-all in the manner of
>>
>> Michael whatshisname. In person he would be seen as an offensive boor.but
>>
>> you can always ignore such Internet creeps if you choose to do so. No need
>>
>> for mechanisms in order to ignore someone.
>>

>> --
>>
>> TD
>
> Chris scares you - he has more intelligence, wit and knowledge allied to
> a discernment that is totally beyond your low life personality - he's
> just another in the long line of personal threats to you that have shown
> up here - you pathetic little man

When you're talking to the gutter, gutter language is tge only thing they
really understand.

Viz. cumrag.

--
TD

Willem Orange

Sep 18, 2014, 1:27:02 PM9/18/14
"Tge" only thing????

tomdeacon

Sep 19, 2014, 7:26:41 AM9/19/14
Tge only tging tgat is tgue is tgat gou age a DORK!!!

(Just keeping you busy. Jump, Spot, jump!)
--
TD

Andrew Clarke

Sep 19, 2014, 10:39:06 AM9/19/14
On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:51:45 AM UTC+10, Steven Bornfeld wrote:

> You were once banned for "persistent whingeing"??
>
> I must strongly object to this offensive characterization. I'm guessing
>
> this is a Brit synonym for "whining"--totally unnecessary, and totally
>
> offensive.

It's actually an Australianism which has entered British English through Australian soap operas like "Neighbours", just like "No worries" or "No prob(lem)s".

Australians tend to characterise the Brits as champion whingers, but if the Brits were matched against Australians who went to London and didn't like it, there'd be no contest.

"The newspapers were terrible. There was nothing about Australia ..."

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Jonathan Ellis

Sep 19, 2014, 3:06:09 PM9/19/14