The Hugh Box of YoYo-Yo Ma: Who or how many do you think buy this one?

Junnich

Sep 13, 2009, 11:32:56 AM9/13/09
Yo-Yo Ma's BOX ! No one would not have expected such a huge box
as an individual artist recording collection. The pre-ordered price
at <amzon,com> is incredibly higher than that at <amazon.co.jp>.
Is he much more popular in Japan? I don't think so. But $160 would
be the sum of money one could afford to purchase a collection box of
classical music recordings.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IC10Y8/ US$789.00
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B002IC10Y8/ ¥14,568 (approximately US$160)

Matthew�B.�Tepper

Sep 13, 2009, 7:12:53 PM9/13/09
Junnich <jun...@brown.plala.or.jp> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:e76fc0ac-280c-4d2b-8179-74eb90e76498
@m3g2000pri.googlegroups.com:

Note that Amazon's US page refers to it as an "[IMPORT]," while the
Japanese page says "[Import][from US]"! And that price discrepancy is
really something, isn't it?

I'm still curious to know what's on those two "bonus" CDs?

Read about "Proty" here: http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/proty.html
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers

Steve de Mena

Sep 13, 2009, 7:32:13 PM9/13/09

The price for the Japanese listing (of the exact same SKU) is probably
incorrect.

Steve

Steve de Mena

Sep 13, 2009, 7:39:04 PM9/13/09
Matthew B. Tepper wrote:

> I'm still curious to know what's on those two "bonus" CDs?

The first of the two bonus discs includes the first release in any
format of John Williams's Suite from Memoirs of a Geisha for Cello and
Orchestra, a six-movement work Williams created for Ma - drawn from
his Oscar-nominated score for the 2005 film Memoirs of a Geisha - and
recorded in 2008 with the cellist and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

The second bonus disc features the first CD release of Williams's "Air
and Simple Gifts," written for Ma to perform with violinist Itzhak
Perlman, pianist Gabriela Montero and clarinetist Anthony McGill at
the inauguration of President Barack Obama. Also included on the disc
are 11 tracks that have appeared only as exclusive bonus material on
previous compilations of Ma's recordings or special releases.

Steve

Randy Lane

Sep 13, 2009, 8:16:15 PM9/13/09

If "remastered with DSD technology" why not SACD?

Mort

Sep 13, 2009, 9:29:05 PM9/13/09

I ordered one box from Japan, and the price was as you quoted it. I
printed out their order confirmation as proof, in case a problem arises.
The price difference does make one wonder. Perhaps the more expensive
one has additional elements, e.g. DVDs, book, etc. We'll see.

Mort

Steve de Mena

Sep 14, 2009, 12:43:02 AM9/14/09

Same SKU number (ASIN), so there is no difference in packaging.

Steve

Matthew�B.�Tepper

Sep 14, 2009, 2:27:00 AM9/14/09
Steve de Mena <st...@stevedemena.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:zemdnWyii_UEHzDX...@giganews.com:

Thanks.

jrsnfld

Sep 14, 2009, 2:33:07 AM9/14/09
On Sep 13, 4:39 pm, Steve de Mena <st...@stevedemena.com> wrote:
> Matthew B. Tepper wrote:
> > I'm still curious to know what's on those two "bonus" CDs?
>
> The first of the two bonus discs includes the first release in any
> format of John Williams's Suite from Memoirs of a Geisha for Cello and
> Orchestra, a six-movement work Williams created for Ma - drawn from
> his Oscar-nominated score for the 2005 film Memoirs of a Geisha - and
> recorded in 2008 with the cellist and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

By the way, that performance of the Williams Suite is quite worth
having; one of the better things I've heard Ma do in the past couple
decades.

--Jeff

Junnich

Sep 14, 2009, 11:42:35 AM9/14/09
On 9月14日, 午後1:43, Steve de Mena <st...@stevedemena.com> wrote:

> Steve wrote:
> Same SKU number (ASIN), so there is no difference in packaging.

According to his official site(?), the huge box for the price of
$789 limited to 200 in number includes a personalized letter from Yo-
Yo Ma himself and an autographed photo print shot by acclaimed
photographer Michael O'Neil if you purchase it on the following page
of the site.

http://yoyoma.skyroo.com/se/view/music/index.html

On the other hand, amazon.com don't refer to such offerings.
Therefore, amazon.com is likely to price the box for $160 or so after
the 200 exclusively numbered boxes are sold out. You don't have to
place an order to <amazon.co.jp.> in a hurry. You only have to wait
for a while.

Randy Lane

Sep 14, 2009, 12:58:11 PM9/14/09

The info on the URL you provide the link says if order from/through Yo-
YoMa.com, not retailers.

Steve de Mena

Sep 15, 2009, 12:03:21 AM9/15/09

No, you read that wrong. They are offering the special things
(letter, autograph) for the first 200 or so copies just as an
incentive. The price won't change for the copies after the first 200.

Steve

Junnich

Sep 16, 2009, 10:30:43 AM9/16/09

Tower,com have listed the title for the price of $157.50. So will
amazon,com price it down around $160 in the near future, I guess.
http://www.tower.com/30-years-outside-box-ma-cd/wapi/113569530

wkasimer

Sep 21, 2009, 10:36:58 AM9/21/09
On a related note, are there any of Ma's many recordings that people
would recommend? I've heard a few of them over the years, and I can't
think of one that stood out. In fact, looking at my collection, the
only Ma recordings I currently own are a couple where he is a
participant in a chamber music work (e.g. Schubert's "Trout"
Quintet).

Anything that I shouldn't miss?

Bill

JAC

Sep 21, 2009, 3:43:45 PM9/21/09
On Sep 21, 10:36 am, wkasimer <wkasi...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On a related note, are there any of Ma's many recordings that people
> would recommend?

I've missed a great deal that he has recorded (to put it mildly), but
of those I know and own, two concerto-type CDs stand out for me.

One contains Strauss's DON QUIXOTE and Schoenberg's Concerto (after
Monn), with Ozawa conducting the Boston SO. The Strauss is a very
lingering elegaic sort of reading, but I find it beautiful and
compelling; and it is the only one I've heard (there may be others I
haven't) that balances the cello as part of the section, as Strauss
wrote it. (Even recordings that used the section principal as the
score specifies give the player an excessively close balance.) The
same balance is not so appropriate for the Schoenberg, in which he is
at his most cavalierly impractical -- double-stop harmonics in
sixteenth notes? sure, it'll balance against a full orchestra -- but
it's still the most complete realization of this marvelously
preposterous piece in my experience.

(The Strauss had no internal tracking on the early CDs. I would like
to think that this has been remedied since then but I bet it hasn't.)

The other is a coupling of the Britten Cello Symphony with the Barber
Concerto. Zinman conducts the Baltimore SO. This rendition is pretty
much the equal of the Rostropovich/Britten for the Symphony (high
praise), and I love having alternative performances available for this
brooding unique work. I'm not so familiar with alternatives for the
Barber, but it sounds convincing to me.

So there are my two.

JAC

Randy Lane

Sep 21, 2009, 8:07:13 PM9/21/09

Amazon Japan is no longer taking pre-orders (click on the link and see
for yourselves).
Hmmm. Wrong price? Will they "honor" orders already placed at the $160
price? We'll have to wait and see.

Sol L. Siegel

Sep 21, 2009, 10:41:27 PM9/21/09
wkasimer <wkas...@comcast.net> wrote in news:260b152e-6faf-4955-95d7-
bc1855...@k26g2000vbp.googlegroups.com:

> On a related note, are there any of Ma's many recordings that people
> would recommend?

1. The Finzi concerto - for Lyrita, before he signed with CBS!

2. The "premieres" disc with Zinman/Philly: Danielpour, Rouse and the
recently-departed Kirchner. I especially liked the Danilpour, which has
echoes of Schelomo and, oddly (or perhaps not so oddly), Feldman.

--
- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA

Bob Harper

Sep 21, 2009, 10:58:05 PM9/21/09
The Finzi Concerto on Lyrita.

Bob Harper

Matthew�B.�Tepper

Sep 22, 2009, 1:45:10 AM9/22/09
"Sol L. Siegel" <vod...@aol.com> appears to have caused the following letters
to be typed in news:Xns9C8DE6CF652...@130.133.1.4:

> wkasimer <wkas...@comcast.net> wrote in news:260b152e-6faf-4955-95d7-
> bc1855...@k26g2000vbp.googlegroups.com:
>
>> On a related note, are there any of Ma's many recordings that people
>> would recommend?
>
> 1. The Finzi concerto - for Lyrita, before he signed with CBS!

I agree enthusiastically!

Matthew�B.�Tepper

Sep 22, 2009, 1:45:10 AM9/22/09
Bob Harper <bob.h...@comcast.net> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:23Xtm.38217$Hw....@en-nntp-08.dc1.easynews.com:

> The Finzi Concerto on Lyrita.

I agree enthusiastically. (Didn't I just say that somewhere else?)

Randy Lane

Sep 24, 2009, 8:30:29 PM9/24/09

The Amazon Japan price is now 72,841 YEN (about $800 at today's
exchange rate).
It is still the same ASIN, so presumably those who pre-ordered at the
lower price will still get it for that price.

Randy Lane

Oct 1, 2009, 7:05:41 AM10/1/09
On Sep 24, 5:30 pm, Randy Lane <randy.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 21, 5:07 pm, Randy Lane <randy.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sep 13, 8:32 am, Junnich <junn...@brown.plala.or.jp> wrote:
>
> > >    Yo-YoMa'sBOX !   No one would not have expected such a huge box

> > > as an individual artist recording collection.  The pre-ordered price
> > > at <amzon,com> is incredibly higher than that at <amazon.co.jp>.
> > >    Is he much more popular in Japan?  I don't think so. But $160 would
> > > be the sum of money one could afford to purchase a collection box of
> > > classical music recordings.
>
> > >http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IC10Y8/  US$789.00http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B002IC10Y8/ ¥14,568 (approximately US$160)
>
> > Amazon Japan is no longer taking pre-orders (click on the link and see
> > for yourselves).
> > Hmmm. Wrong price? Will they "honor" orders already placed at the $160
> > price? We'll have to wait and see.
>
> The Amazon Japan price is now 72,841 YEN (about $800 at today's
> exchange rate).
> It is still the same ASIN, so presumably those who pre-ordered at the
> lower price will still get it for that price.

Amazon Japan cancelled my order at the $160 price today. They say
doing so is permissible under their "Terms of Service".

Junnich

Oct 1, 2009, 12:31:56 PM10/1/09
>Randy wrote

> Amazon Japan cancelled my order at the $160 price today. They say
> doing so is permissible under their "Terms of Service".- Hide quoted text -

What are the results of those who placed an order for the title at
tower.com?
Has 'Tower' also cancelled all the orders at the $158 price? I'm eager
to know
the full account.

Randy Lane

Oct 1, 2009, 7:30:41 PM10/1/09

I see that Tower.com says it is no longer available to be ordered.
I would not be surprised if they never send it.
I was delighted to find them offering the Naxos Tintner Bruckner box a
few months ago and instantly ordered it. Since then, they've marked it
as unavailable, but my order is still sitting there, and they've never
sent me an update about it.

Junnich

Oct 27, 2009, 10:53:19 PM10/27/09
> > >Randy wrote
> > > Amazon Japan cancelled my order at the $160 price today. They say
> > > doing so is permissible under their "Terms of Service

Sorry to delay to reply to your message. I appreciate your account on
this matter.
Amazon.co.jp has shipped the title at the price of JPY22,000
(approximately US$240) to the limited number of shoppers who placed an
order for that price during the pre-ordering period.
It seems that the whole sale price of the title is around $240.

Randy Lane

Oct 27, 2009, 11:07:50 PM10/27/09

How did that happen for some and not for others?

Below is the full text of their message to me (72,000 yen is a far cry
from 22,000 yen)
Are you in the USA? You location may have something to do with it.

***
News from Amazon.co.jp

Thank you for your patronage Amazon.co.jp always, Thank you very
much.

Sorry very possible that a notice regarding the following items from
your order Thank you.

Yo-Yo Ma: 30 Years

The above item was changed from the wholesaler's purchase price.
Therefore, your order will be found Amazon.co.jp Terms of Service,
"product prices" in accordance with paragraph, we have indeed been
canceled at hand with this site. Because our current catalog
information has been corrected, but very sorry, check on the
information that has been corrected in the following link, thank you
again you for your order in our study.

Yo-Yo Ma: 30 Years [Best of] [Box set] [Import] [from US]
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B002IC10Y8/

Old price: 14,568 yen (tax included)
New price: 72,005 yen (tax included)

Also using at Amazon.co.jp, and we look forward.

※ Sorry, for here can not accept E-mail messages and contact address
is only for our delivery. If you contact the customer service from the
URL below please contact us by E-mail.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/contact-us/

Amazon.co.jp Customer
Amazon.co.jp Customer Service.