What are the best recordings of Schubert's String Quartet No. 15?

Andrew Knippenberg

Mar 31, 2014, 11:48:50 PM3/31/14
I have recordings by the Busch Quartet and Quartetto Italiano. While I'm quite fond of both, and enjoy their different styles, are there any other performances I'm missing?

Herman

Apr 1, 2014, 1:55:29 AM4/1/14
On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 5:48:50 AM UTC+2, Andrew Knippenberg wrote:
> I have recordings by the Busch Quartet and Quartetto Italiano. While I'm quite fond of both, and enjoy their different styles, are there any other performances I'm missing?

Alban Berg Quartett is a must have.

Terry

Apr 1, 2014, 1:58:39 AM4/1/14
In article <50e0a8c7-3b43-4f53...@googlegroups.com>,
The Belcea Quartet. They seem to me to have an uncanny empathy for
Schubert. Beautifully recorded. Comes as a 2-CD set, coupled with
excellent performances of the String Quintet and the D810 Quartet. The
only slight disadvantage is that #15 is split over the two CDs. I
thought that this would annoy me, but it hasn't. The playing is so
wonderful, I could forgive anything.

Herman

Apr 1, 2014, 5:18:13 AM4/1/14
On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 7:58:39 AM UTC+2, Terry wrote:

> The Belcea Quartet. They seem to me to have an uncanny empathy for
>
> Schubert. Beautifully recorded. Comes as a 2-CD set, coupled with
>
> excellent performances of the String Quintet and the D810 Quartet. The
>
> only slight disadvantage is that #15 is split over the two CDs. I
>
> thought that this would annoy me, but it hasn't. The playing is so
>
> wonderful, I could forgive anything.

I like the Belcea's Quintet better than the G major quartet. Somehow the first mvt doesn't quite cohere IMO, it's one of the pitfalls of taking this music as a sort of symphony for string quartet, with huge dynamic contrasts. The gentle bits (the siciliano-like theme) are taken so soft and recessed that they don't seem to belong to the same structure.

Taking the exposition repeat doesn't help either, perhaps.

Christopher Webber

Apr 1, 2014, 5:24:31 AM4/1/14
On 01/04/2014 10:18, Herman wrote:
> Taking the exposition repeat doesn't help either, perhaps.

Taking Schubert's repeats rarely does help, in my opinion - he's an
exception (to my rule at least, which is "if they're written, do them"!)

mrs...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2014, 6:24:22 AM4/1/14
On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 5:48:50 AM UTC+2, Andrew Knippenberg wrote:
> I have recordings by the Busch Quartet and Quartetto Italiano. While I'm quite fond of both, and enjoy their different styles, are there any other performances I'm missing?

Alban Berg Quartet's first recording (sans exp. repeat)

wkasimer

Apr 1, 2014, 9:23:02 AM4/1/14
On Monday, March 31, 2014 11:48:50 PM UTC-4, Andrew Knippenberg wrote:
> I have recordings by the Busch Quartet and Quartetto Italiano. While I'm quite fond of both, and enjoy their different styles, are there any other performances I'm missing?

If you can find it (it's OOP), the Hagen Quartet on DG.

Bill

Sol L. Siegel

Apr 2, 2014, 7:12:02 PM4/2/14
Andrew Knippenberg <aknip...@gmail.com> wrote in

> I have recordings by the Busch Quartet and Quartetto Italiano. While
> I'm quite fond of both, and enjoy their different styles, are there
> any other performances I'm missing?

Brandis Quartet: Their first version, on Orfeo. They dig very
deep here. But avoid their distressingly bland Nimbus remake
like the plague. The Orfeo, FWIW, includes the first-movement
repeat; Nimbus doesn't.

Also Budapest, never mind that it's LOC, mono and lacks the
repeat. It just speaks to me every time I hear it. On CD, I've
only seen it in the 2-disc Biddulph set with 13, 14 and Trout.

- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA

cooper...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2014, 7:36:28 AM4/3/14
I agree with Sol's recommendations as well as the Busch and Hagen (the latter is op but available via SymphonyShare). Among historicals I'd also recommend the Kolisch (Symposium CD) and among newer recordings the Neues Leipziger SQ (MD&G). Is it safe to assume that the great 1962 Juilliard recording (Epic LP BC 1260) remains in LP limbo?

AC

Edward A. Cowan

Apr 3, 2014, 10:25:06 AM4/3/14
Re: "the two CDs"

It would seem that silver discs may very soon become double-sided. I have a BD of "Das Boot" (the film), and it's a double-sided disc. --E.A.C.

MELMOTH

Apr 3, 2014, 3:00:41 PM4/3/14
Ce cher mammifère du nom de Andrew Knippenberg nous susurrait, le mardi
01/04/2014, dans nos oreilles grandes ouvertes mais un peu sales tout
de même, et dans le message
<50e0a8c7-3b43-4f53...@googlegroups.com>, les doux
mélismes suivants :

> I have recordings by the Busch Quartet and Quartetto Italiano. While I'm
> quite fond of both, and enjoy their different styles, are there any other
> performances I'm missing?

*Juilliard* (Sony)...
*WienerKonzertHaus* (Universal)...
*Cherubini* (EMI)...
*Amadeus I* (DG)...

--
Car avec beaucoup de science, il y a beaucoup de chagrin ; et celui qui
accroît sa science accroît sa douleur.

Terry

Apr 4, 2014, 11:31:08 AM4/4/14
In article <c971afc7-3270-4cfb...@googlegroups.com>,
Well, I guess there's not much difference between turning a CD over,
versus replacing one CD with another in your player.

(I believe I read somewhere that whilst the first movement of this
quartet was played in Schubert's lifetime, the remaining movements
didn't see the light of day until about 30 years later. So one doesn't
have to run to the CD player in all that much of a hurry.)

howie...@btinternet.com

Apr 4, 2014, 12:07:06 PM4/4/14
Has anyone enjoyed the Schubert from Cuarteto Casals?

wkasimer

Apr 4, 2014, 1:01:10 PM4/4/14
On Thursday, April 3, 2014 10:25:06 AM UTC-4, Edward A. Cowan wrote:

> Re: "the two CDs" It would seem that silver discs may very soon become double-sided. <

Double-sided DVD's have been around for years.

Bill

jrsnfld

Apr 4, 2014, 1:31:27 PM4/4/14
On Friday, April 4, 2014 9:07:06 AM UTC-7, howie...@btinternet.com wrote:
> Has anyone enjoyed the Schubert from Cuarteto Casals?

I'm glad you mentioned it, because I didn't realize they'd recorded this piece.

I've actually been listening to a live performance of Cuarteto Casals playing this piece, from September 2012, while considering the options presented in this thread. I love the performance--they take their time, they take the repeats, they're stylish and varied with phrasing and vibrato; they're rock solid technically and musically. As far as I'm concerned, they could play forever and I wouldn't want it to stop. That's how Schubert ought to be played. I hope the CD is the same.

I'll second the mention of the Amadeus Q, while I'm at it. They are of an earlier school, but the glow of their tonal palette and the incisive, lively rendering of rhythms is the standard by which I judge others in this music. Again, the music should never end.

I also listened recently to the Lindsays, and while inevitably they're a little more square, rhythmically, than the Amadeus, their hearty (somewhat beefy) approach is very effective, too.

A Juilliard Q recording of this piece was my favorite for a while. I'm looking forward to trying it again.

--Jeff

Steve Emerson

Apr 4, 2014, 2:07:21 PM4/4/14
In article <32e830c1-cf70-449b...@googlegroups.com>,
I believe so, presumably along with the Taneyev Quartet's even more
vital recording. Plus one on the rest, with possible exception of
Kolisch; will have to revisit. At this point, frankly, I could get along
on the Leipzig and Taneyev, the Busch, and one of the fierce ones such
as Juilliard or ABQ analog.

A Petersen Quartet live performance that turned up on Symphonyshare is
one more highly arresting, superbly played take of the fierce variety.

I would urge the OP to pick up the Leipzig, for something in marked
contrast with what he has.

SE.

jrsnfld

Apr 5, 2014, 2:34:50 AM4/5/14
On Friday, April 4, 2014 11:07:21 AM UTC-7, Steve Emerson wrote:
> I would urge the OP to pick up the Leipzig, for something in marked
> contrast with what he has.
> SE.

What do you think of the Hugo Wolf Quartet's recording? I've only heard the first movement, but it's formidably well played, relatively spacious. Of the recent-ish recordings I've heard, this one and the Cuarteto Casals (assuming that's anything like the live performance I've been listening to) seem capable of superceding anything I've heard since the live ABQ. I admit I'm not so fond of the quicker, fiercer recordings lately, but I suppose my mood could change.

There's also a incisive (and well played) live performance by the Prazak Quartet on YT that is worth hearing.

--Jeff

howie...@btinternet.com

Apr 5, 2014, 3:52:22 AM4/5/14
On Saturday, 5 April 2014 07:05:59 UTC+1, dk wrote:
> On Monday, March 31, 2014 8:48:50 PM UTC-7, Andrew Knippenberg wrote:
>
> > I have recordings by the Busch Quartet and Quartetto Italiano. While I'm quite fond of both, and enjoy their different styles, are there any other performances I'm missing?
>

> The Strub Quartet, mid/late 1930s performance
>
> issued (I believe) by Electrola.
>

> dk

I once started a discussion about this but no-one could trance it. Do you actually have it? It would be great if there was a way you could let us hear it, if you've made a transfer.

howie...@btinternet.com

Apr 5, 2014, 3:54:41 AM4/5/14
On Friday, 4 April 2014 19:07:21 UTC+1, Steve Emerson wrote:

> I would urge the OP to pick up the Leipzig, for something in marked
>
> contrast with what he has.
>

> SE.

Do the Leipzig Quartet take the first movement repeat?

cooper...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2014, 7:54:44 AM4/5/14
How could I have forgotten to mention the Taneyev! All of their Schubert is marvelous, and I have heard most of it thanks to Steve's generosity. Does anyone know if this site is on the level: http://stlballoonjam.com/cbin/fr/FLAC-Taneyev-Quartet/m16008/ ? Clicking on a download yields an executable, which I am loath to run.

AC

howie...@btinternet.com

Apr 5, 2014, 9:59:11 AM4/5/14
I just tried to download a Louis Couperin CD from that site, Alan, and it directed me to a screen where you have to pay to sign up to a server, so my guess is it's a scam.

The Taneyev Quartet recordings they list are on spotify and so I suppose they're all easy to find.

Steve Emerson

Apr 5, 2014, 4:40:24 PM4/5/14
In article <a985c9ab-3aa5-4b5f...@googlegroups.com>,
Yes, absolutely they do. This was Vol. 1 of their Schubert cycle and
they got off on the right foot. Very likely it was the first of their
many MDG recordings, as well (1995).

21:33 for the first movement. They do the first-movement repeat in the
quintet as well.

SE.

Steve Emerson

Apr 5, 2014, 9:23:04 PM4/5/14
In article <7fa7c978-ce23-4955...@googlegroups.com>,
That sounds promising. I like their D. 804 and D. 810 on Praga. Have not
heard the Hugo Wolf or the Casals. The Casals have tended to rub me the
wrong way but the Schubert might easily be a different story.

SE.

Andrej Kluge

Apr 6, 2014, 9:04:14 AM4/6/14
For me: Panocha Quartet (1991), hand down. No other recording comes close.
YMMD.

Ciao
AK

Edward A. Cowan

Apr 6, 2014, 1:01:02 PM4/6/14
Whatever... This DVD (Das Boot film) is the first double-sided DVD I have ever encountered. Can you name a few others, please? --E.A.C.

jrsnfld

Apr 6, 2014, 3:12:42 PM4/6/14
On Saturday, April 5, 2014 6:23:04 PM UTC-7, Steve Emerson wrote:

> > There's also a incisive (and well played) live performance by the Prazak
> > Quartet on YT that is worth hearing.

> That sounds promising. I like their D. 804 and D. 810 on Praga. Have not
> heard the Hugo Wolf or the Casals. The Casals have tended to rub me the
> wrong way but the Schubert might easily be a different story.

You might the Casals too fussy for your tastes. (I'm guessing about the CD and about your tastes, but speculations is fun, no?).

--Jeff

dab...@nytimes.com

Apr 6, 2014, 10:53:34 PM4/6/14
On Monday, March 31, 2014 11:48:50 PM UTC-4, Andrew Knippenberg wrote:
> I have recordings by the Busch Quartet and Quartetto Italiano. While I'm quite fond of both, and enjoy their different styles, are there any other performances I'm missing?

Thanks for asking this question --- the various responses have made me realize how many recordings I haven't heard (yet). My personal favorites fall into two categories: 1) the super-tight, proto-Stravinskyesque modernist approach: the Hagen, the (analog EMI) Alban Berg Quartet, the marvelous 60s Julliard/Epic LP --- and 2) the relaxed and wayward gemultich approach i.e. the second (stereo 60s) Amadeus recording, the Tanayev and the Kolisch. I'll be searching out the Strub and Leipziger and relistening to the first Brandis recording based on the suggestions in this thread. And the Casals!

I've always found the Busch Quartet Schubert recordings suffer from the constricted sound in a way that their Beethoven recordings don't, but I'm sure that's just me ...

howie...@btinternet.com

Apr 7, 2014, 3:06:48 AM4/7/14
On Saturday, 5 April 2014 21:40:24 UTC+1, Steve Emerson wrote:

> > Do the Leipzig Quartet take the first movement repeat?
>

> Yes, absolutely they do. This was Vol. 1 of their Schubert cycle and
>
> they got off on the right foot. Very likely it was the first of their
>
> many MDG recordings, as well (1995).
>

> 21:33 for the first movement. They do the first-movement repeat in the
>
> quintet as well.
>

> SE.

I listened to to Leipzig Quartet. I thought it was the most confidential, refined, intimate interpretation I can remember hearing. The first violinist is totally disarming in his candor. I enjoyed their voicing, especially when the cello becomes prominent. They tell a good story -- I loved the way they express internal turbulence rather than extrovert drama. Beautifully recorded.

It felt so strange to enjoy a Schubert quartet again, after spending so long listening pretty well exclusively to baroque keyboard music, where the interest is mainly contrapuntal.

Johannes Roehl

Apr 9, 2014, 5:11:55 AM4/9/14
Am 01.04.2014 05:48, schrieb Andrew Knippenberg:
> I have recordings by the Busch Quartet and Quartetto Italiano. While I'm quite fond of both, and enjoy their different styles, are there any other performances I'm missing?

Many good ones have been mentioned.
I wonder if anyone compared the two recordings by the Auryn Quartet. The
one on TACET was their Debut (or at least one of their first recordings)
and is regarded very highly, but I only know their later recording in
the cpo Schubert complete quartets which is very good, but not so
extraordinary. Still, I am not sure I want to shell out for the Tacet disc.

An interesting recording with a very bleak and slow first movement is
the one from the 80ties by Kremer/Philips/Kashkashian/Ma on CBS/Sony.
For some reason this does not seem very well known.

---

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Herman

Nov 19, 2020, 3:40:04 AM11/19/20
On Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 10:42:35 PM UTC+1, dk wrote:

> I don't have it. I heard it from a tape transfer in the music section of
> the national library of a small European country. I would definitely
> kill for a copy! None of the other performances I heard come even
> close. I recently found however on YT a performance in a similar
> vein by the Doric String Quartet. Give it a try:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW8PI2Xa8eA
>
> dk

There are so many good and exciting recordings of this quartet, it's really hard to go wrong.
The notion that a good performance is a once-in-a-century thing, and you would have to go to "small European countries" to check out a unique recording is a parody of the connoisseur myth (conferring prestige on the connoisseur for knowing about things other people are not familiar with).
The Doric quartet is a fine ensemble (there are literally dozens of excellent string quartets these days) and I guess the reason why this one appeals to DK is there is a woman with long straight hair on the viola here. A blonde Lim.

Gerard

Nov 19, 2020, 5:03:16 AM11/19/20
Op 2020-11-19 om 09:40 schreef Herman:
> On Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 10:42:35 PM UTC+1, dk wrote:
>

>> I don't have it. I heard it from a tape transfer in the music section of
>> the national library of a small European country. I would definitely
>> kill for a copy! None of the other performances I heard come even
>> close. I recently found however on YT a performance in a similar
>> vein by the Doric String Quartet. Give it a try:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW8PI2Xa8eA
>>
>> dk
>
> There are so many good and exciting recordings of this quartet, it's really hard to go wrong.
> The notion that a good performance is a once-in-a-century thing, and you would have to go to "small European countries" to check out a unique recording is a parody of the connoisseur myth (conferring prestige on the connoisseur for knowing about things other people are not familiar with).

It is the usual grotesque dk exaggeration.

> The Doric quartet is a fine ensemble (there are literally dozens of excellent string quartets these days) and I guess the reason why this one appeals to DK is there is a woman with long straight hair on the viola here. A blonde Lim.

Wasn't (or isn't) there a Lim lookalike as well?
http://doricstringquartet.com/biography/

It seems that the group has not always the same members.
https://www.amazon.com/Korngold-String-Quartets-Doric-Quartet/dp/B0040JEWOW/

Herman

Nov 19, 2020, 5:21:02 AM11/19/20
Youngish string quartets tend to have member changes. It's a rather hard life, really, living out of a suit case, compared to being in an orchestra.
Message has been deleted

Frank Berger

Nov 19, 2020, 3:56:44 PM11/19/20
On 11/19/2020 2:39 PM, dk wrote:
> On Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 4:40:04 PM UTC+8, Herman wrote:
>> On Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 10:42:35 PM UTC+1, dk wrote:
>>

>>> I don't have it. I heard it from a tape transfer in the music section of
>>> the national library of a small European country. I would definitely
>>> kill for a copy! None of the other performances I heard come even
>>> close. I recently found however on YT a performance in a similar
>>> vein by the Doric String Quartet. Give it a try:
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW8PI2Xa8eA
>>>
>> There are so many good and exciting recordings of this quartet, it's
>> really hard to go wrong.
>
> Matter of opinion.
>
>> The notion that a good performance is a once-in-a-century thing,
>
> I heard plenty of other people say the same about Strub's D.887.
>
>> and you would have to go to "small European countries" to check
>> out a unique recording
>
> I did not suggest anything like it, and I provided the recording
> information so anyone can look them up in their university,
> local, regional or national libraries. The fact I mentioned the
> circumstances of my first encounter with this spellbinding
> performance should not be taken as a suggestion to repeat
> my journey. Incidentally, I spent 6 months listening to this
> performance EVERY DAY, and this was not too long after
> hearing the Julliard (Carlyss/Adam) perform 12-15 live.
> As riveting as they were in 12-14, to my ears they fell
> flat in D.887.
>
>> is a parody of the connoisseur myth (conferring prestige on
>> the connoisseur for knowing about things other people are
>> not familiar with).
>
> Acting out again your paranoid obsessions?
>
>> The Doric quartet is a fine ensemble (there are literally dozens of
>> excellent string quartets these days) and I guess the reason why
>> this one appeals to DK is there is a woman with long straight hair
>> on the viola here. A blonde Lim.
>
> Ridiculous! FWIW I have listened to all D.887 recordings I could
> lay my hands on -- LPs, CDs, YT, live performances -- and none
> have come as close to Strub's as the Doric. I couldn't care less
> about the identities and genders of the rowers.
>
> dk

FWIW, Hurwitz gives a review for the Doric's Haydn op. 33
quartets that could not be worse. I think he uses the
expression barf-worthy.

Mandryka

Nov 19, 2020, 4:05:56 PM11/19/20
On Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 7:39:29 PM UTC, dk wrote:
> On Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 4:40:04 PM UTC+8, Herman wrote:
> > On Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 10:42:35 PM UTC+1, dk wrote:
> >

> > > I don't have it. I heard it from a tape transfer in the music section of
> > > the national library of a small European country. I would definitely
> > > kill for a copy! None of the other performances I heard come even
> > > close. I recently found however on YT a performance in a similar
> > > vein by the Doric String Quartet. Give it a try:
> > >
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW8PI2Xa8eA
> > >
> > There are so many good and exciting recordings of this quartet, it's
> > really hard to go wrong.
> Matter of opinion.
> > The notion that a good performance is a once-in-a-century thing,
> I heard plenty of other people say the same about Strub's D.887.
> > and you would have to go to "small European countries" to check
> > out a unique recording
> I did not suggest anything like it, and I provided the recording
> information so anyone can look them up in their university,
> local, regional or national libraries. The fact I mentioned the
> circumstances of my first encounter with this spellbinding
> performance should not be taken as a suggestion to repeat
> my journey. Incidentally, I spent 6 months listening to this
> performance EVERY DAY, and this was not too long after
> hearing the Julliard (Carlyss/Adam) perform 12-15 live.
> As riveting as they were in 12-14, to my ears they fell
> flat in D.887.
> > is a parody of the connoisseur myth (conferring prestige on
> > the connoisseur for knowing about things other people are
> > not familiar with).
> Acting out again your paranoid obsessions?
> > The Doric quartet is a fine ensemble (there are literally dozens of
> > excellent string quartets these days) and I guess the reason why
> > this one appeals to DK is there is a woman with long straight hair
> > on the viola here. A blonde Lim.
> Ridiculous! FWIW I have listened to all D.887 recordings I could
> lay my hands on -- LPs, CDs, YT, live performances -- and none
> have come as close to Strub's as the Doric. I couldn't care less
> about the identities and genders of the rowers.
>
> dk

Well I for one am pleased you posted the link. I often have trouble enjoying the first movement of this quartet, especially when the repeats are taken. But this was a pleasure to hear. The balance, the textures, are clear enough to let me hear dialogue, drama coming from within the voices. And that makes it animated. . .
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Frank Berger

Nov 19, 2020, 4:38:37 PM11/19/20
On 11/19/2020 4:26 PM, dk wrote:
>> FWIW, Hurwitz gives a review for the Doric's Haydn op. 33
>> quartets that could not be worse. I think he uses the
>> expression barf-worthy.
>
> I could not care less what Hurwitz or anyone else thinks about it.
> Remember music reviewers and record reviewers are reviewers
> because they are prolific, aggressive writers, not because they
> have better taste or hearing or musical knowledge.
>
> dk

Definitely partly true.