Google Groepen ondersteunt geen nieuwe Usenet-berichten of -abonnementen meer. Historische content blijft zichtbaar.

Haydn Cello Concertos

635 weergaven
Naar het eerste ongelezen bericht

FePe

ongelezen,
25 mei 2006, 08:47:1725-05-2006
aan
Hello from a new poster. I hope that I'm welcome.

I have three versions of the Haydn cello concertos in C major (Hob
VIIb:1) and D major (Hob VIIb:2): du Pré/Barenboim, Han-Na
Chang/Sinopoli and Gautier Capucon/Harding. I like them all, but are
most fond of the modern interpretation by Capucon. I want some more
versions as I like the concertos very much.

Can you recommend some recordings?

-FePe

wkas...@comcast.net

ongelezen,
25 mei 2006, 09:04:3925-05-2006
aan

FePe wrote:

> Can you recommend some recordings?

Wispelwey on Channel is probably my favorite. If you don't mind the
strange cadenzas (written by Britten, I believe), Rostropovich/Britten
in the C major is fantastic.

Bill

MrT

ongelezen,
25 mei 2006, 09:33:1425-05-2006
aan

Miklos Pérenyi is tops (on Laserlight, very cheapo).

Best,

MrT

Gerard

ongelezen,
25 mei 2006, 09:47:1025-05-2006
aan
wkas...@comcast.net wrote:
> FePe wrote:
>
> > Can you recommend some recordings?
>
> Wispelwey on Channel is probably my favorite.

Seconded.
But I like the recording by Suzuki and La Petite Bande (Kuijken) on DHM too.

Matthew Silverstein

ongelezen,
25 mei 2006, 09:47:0225-05-2006
aan
On Thursday, May 25, 2006, wkas...@comcast.net wrote:

> Wispelwey on Channel is probably my favorite.

This is my favorite as well. A wonderful characterful and energetic
performance played on period instruments.

Matty

Simon Roberts

ongelezen,
25 mei 2006, 09:31:3025-05-2006
aan
In article <4475a752$0$15790$1472...@news.sunsite.dk>, FePe says...

Wispelwey/Channel Classics (period instruments).

Simon

FePe

ongelezen,
25 mei 2006, 09:50:2525-05-2006
aan

Thank you for the recommendation. I'll try to buy this.

Matthew Silverstein

ongelezen,
25 mei 2006, 09:52:4125-05-2006
aan
On Thursday, May 25, 2006, FePe wrote:

> Thank you for the recommendation. I'll try to buy this.

You're welcome. And welcome to the group!

Matty

Bericht is verwijderd

Norman M. Schwartz

ongelezen,
25 mei 2006, 11:20:0525-05-2006
aan

"Mark K." <markk-...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> FePe <fe...@NOSPAMfepe.dk> wrote on 25 May 2006:
>
>> Can you recommend some recordings?
>
> There is a recording by Arto Noras with the Slovak Chamber
> Orchestra/Warchal, which I find quite enthralling, not because of the
> orchestral contribution but because of Noras' wonderful playing. It
> was, and may still be, available on various ultracheap labels.

Music for you AND your Dog (if there be such):
http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=1834912&title=A+Day+in+the+Life+of+Lucky+-+Music+for+You+and+Your+Dog

> Mark K.

Bericht is verwijderd

Matthew B. Tepper

ongelezen,
25 mei 2006, 12:00:1025-05-2006
aan
"Norman M. Schwartz" <nm...@optonline.net> appears to have caused the
following letters to be typed in news:KWjdg.293$ac....@fe10.lga:

"Answers to the name of 'Lucky'."

I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made. ~ FDR (attrib.)

Sam

ongelezen,
25 mei 2006, 12:10:4325-05-2006
aan
On Thu, 25 May 2006 14:47:17 +0200, FePe <fe...@NOSPAMfepe.dk> wrote:

>Can you recommend some recordings?

Can somebody enlighten me as to what the differences are between
Haydn's original version of #1 and the Gevaert edition? Are there any
versions of the latter, currently available.

Vaneyes

ongelezen,
25 mei 2006, 16:08:3825-05-2006
aan

Mork Clo Cti cw Tetzlaff Vln Cti (Virgin 2CD).

Regards

Michael Schaffer

ongelezen,
25 mei 2006, 16:12:4325-05-2006
aan

If you like period performances, you could also try Coin/AAM/Hogwood.
That is one of my all-time favorite discs. I din't know the recording
recommended by the other posters, so I can't make any comparisons.

Vaneyes

ongelezen,
25 mei 2006, 16:15:0025-05-2006
aan

Mark K. wrote:

> "Norman M. Schwartz" <nm...@optonline.net> wrote on 25 May 2006:
>
> > > There is a recording by Arto Noras with the Slovak Chamber
> > > Orchestra/Warchal, which I find quite enthralling, not because of the
> > > orchestral contribution but because of Noras' wonderful playing. It
> > > was, and may still be, available on various ultracheap labels.
> > >
> > Music for you AND your Dog (if there be such):
>
> http://www.classicalnotes.net/columns/cheapweb.html

Yep, a lotta dog food.

Regards

Bericht is verwijderd

Vaneyes

ongelezen,
25 mei 2006, 17:13:5025-05-2006
aan

Gerd Ranja wrote:
> "Vaneyes" <van...@excite.com> on 25 May 2006 13:15:00 -0700:

> > Yep, a lotta dog food.
>
> Isn't that what you eat?

Manure fer Gerd.

John Wiser

ongelezen,
25 mei 2006, 17:49:2825-05-2006
aan
"Sam" wrote:

> Can somebody enlighten me as to what the differences are between
> Haydn's original version of #1 and the Gevaert edition?

There is no Gevaert Edition of No. 1 in C, which turned up decades after
Gevaert fell off the twig. As for No. 2 in D, I cannot offer chapter and
verse of the
differences between Gevaert and Urtext, but the piano reduction of G.'s
edition
is available from Elibron for a mere $6.00
http://www.elibron.com/english/music/

> Are there any versions of the latter, currently available.

Presumably you mean recordings. There are probably others, but here's an
attractive one:

(Tahra) Tah 566 - Inédits Pierre Fournier
Josef Haydn: Cello Concerto No. 2, Op. 101 (Gevaert version)
(Sinfonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks, Eugen Jochum - Live,
24.I.1952) - Claude Debussy: Cello Sonata - Igor Strawinsky: Suite italienne
(Pulcinella) - Piano: Francis Poulenc - RAI Torino, 26.III.1953

Sorry, I don't have one of these for sale!

best

--
John Wiser
cee...@frontiernet.net

Jicotea Used Books & Music
33 Newton Drive / PO Box 136
Howells NY 10932 0136 USA
845 386 2824

Thomas Wood

ongelezen,
25 mei 2006, 19:45:1325-05-2006
aan

"Matthew Silverstein" <msil...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Speaking of HIP performances, I like Anner Bylsma with Lamon/Tafelmusik on
Harmonia Mundi, but I admit I haven't heard that many others (apart from
Rostropovich/Marriner/EMI, which I also enjoy). Bylsma's recording is
coupled with a concerti by Anton Kraft, who was for a long time thought to
be the composer of the Haydn concerto in D.

Tom Wood

Satid S.

ongelezen,
26 mei 2006, 01:44:3126-05-2006
aan

FePe wrote:
> I have three versions of the Haydn cello concertos in C major (Hob
> VIIb:1) and D major (Hob VIIb:2): du Pré/Barenboim, Han-Na
> Chang/Sinopoli and Gautier Capucon/Harding. I like them all, but are
> most fond of the modern interpretation by Capucon. I want some more
> versions as I like the concertos very much.
>
> Can you recommend some recordings?

I used to listened to Steven Isserlis at the cello with Chamber
Orchestra of Europe under Norrington on BMG which I enjoyed. The two
cello concerti are coupled with Sinfonia Concertante for Violin, Cello,
Oboe, and Bassoon (IIRC). All these are fine performances in HIP
influenced style. A good buy.

Satid S.

Wiener Sänger

ongelezen,
26 mei 2006, 02:04:2426-05-2006
aan
I purchased Wispelwey's Cello Concerto boxed set of concertos on
Channel Classics just for the Haydn Concerti, and had it autographed by
him in Sydney. The other concertos are actually very good performances
indeed, though the orchestras and conductors are not huge names

gggg...@gmail.com

ongelezen,
6 apr 2016, 04:01:5206-04-2016
aan
Recent list of recommended recordings:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/mwi-recommends.htm

wkasimer

ongelezen,
6 apr 2016, 10:21:5006-04-2016
aan
On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 4:01:52 AM UTC-4, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:

> Recent list of recommended recordings:
>
> http://www.musicweb-international.com/mwi-recommends.htm

Another foolish list. None of the reviewers recommend Wispelwey's recording? The only ones on the MW list that's remotely competitive are Queyras and Du Pre.

And Rostropovich on "Decca/Warner"? These are two very different recordings; the one on Decca is with Britten conducting the English Chamber Orchestra, not ASMF. Did any of the reviewers actually listen to the recordings, or did they just see the name Rostropovich and recommended him? The Decca one is certainly excellent - the EMI/Warner one isn't.

Oscar

ongelezen,
6 apr 2016, 11:50:3706-04-2016
aan
Anner Bylsma & Tafelmusik's 1989 recording for deutsche harmonia mundi is the one to get, according to Mr. Wiser and me.

cooper...@gmail.com

ongelezen,
6 apr 2016, 17:42:3006-04-2016
aan
On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 11:50:37 AM UTC-4, Oscar wrote:
> Anner Bylsma & Tafelmusik's 1989 recording for deutsche harmonia mundi is the one to get, according to Mr. Wiser and me.

Naah: http://www.amazon.com/Haydn-Cello-Concerto-Symphony-no/dp/B000003UYX

AC

Gerard

ongelezen,
7 apr 2016, 06:12:0207-04-2016
aan
wrote in message
===============================

Try Suzuki:

http://www.amazon.com/Haydn-Concertos-Pour-Violoncelle-Suzuki/dp/B0000665YH/

Available between $5,98 and $217,68:

http://www.amazon.com/Haydn-Concertos-Violoncelle-Kuijken-2002-06-04/dp/B01ABAQP7U/

Frank Lekens

ongelezen,
7 apr 2016, 16:44:3207-04-2016
aan
Gerard schreef op 7-4-2016 12:11:
I also very much like Wispelwey's recording. It was the version I first
got to know these works by and it's still my favourite.
But I think I also like Bijlsma. Don't really know any others.

This week I was pleasantly surprised early one morning by a live
recording of Heinrich Schiff as soloist *and* conductor of the Swedish
Radio Orchestra. Very different conception (non-HIP), but rather nice
and distinctive cello playing, it seemed to me. Less generic (or smooth,
or whatever) than his recording with ASMF.
It's still online, it's at the very end of this very long programme:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b075pdcm
But the individual recordings are neatly indexed by the BBC, so it's
easy to start playing the file at this particular concerto.

(Incidentally: it's preceded in the programme by a Hummel clarinet
quartet, with Martin Frost and others. Nice too.)

As to other recordings: I haven't heard it yet, but I'd expect Queyras
with the Freiburger Barockorchester to be a strong contender in the
Haydn concertos as well.
And how is Coin/Hogwood?

--
Frank Lekens

http://fmlekens.home.xs4all.nl/

Gerard

ongelezen,
8 apr 2016, 05:59:4608-04-2016
aan
"Frank Lekens" wrote in message
=========================

I don't know these recordings by Queyras, or Schiff, or Coin.
There's another candidate, not on that Musicweb list:
Quirine Viersen with De Vriend:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001RKW4VU

wkasimer

ongelezen,
8 apr 2016, 10:17:2408-04-2016
aan
On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 4:44:32 PM UTC-4, Frank Lekens wrote:

> And how is Coin/Hogwood?

For a long time, this was the only easily available HIP recording. Compared to what's come since (especially Wispelwey's), Coin/Hogwood is pretty tame and anemic.

Frank Lekens

ongelezen,
9 apr 2016, 05:03:0809-04-2016
aan
Gerard schreef op 8-4-2016 11:59:
That's on Spotify as well. Sounds nice -- as indeed does Queyras!

AB

ongelezen,
9 apr 2016, 15:09:1709-04-2016
aan
anybody mention Feurmann D major from the 30s......

AB

Al Eisner

ongelezen,
11 apr 2016, 20:23:4711-04-2016
aan
Feuermann's performance is to my mind a miracle of cello playing,
and should not be missed.

The orchestra (under Sargent, as I recall) isn't very good, however,
although easy to ignore. Also, I'm not sure to what extent the
edition used is similar to what might be used today.
--
Al Eisner

Frank Berger

ongelezen,
11 apr 2016, 22:29:3311-04-2016
aan
Agree about Feuermann. Mark Obert-Thorn's transfers on
Naxos are an improvement from earlier releases.

Ricardo Jimenez

ongelezen,
12 apr 2016, 10:36:3312-04-2016
aan
On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 17:23:45 -0700, Al Eisner
<eis...@slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

>> anybody mention Feurmann D major from the 30s......
>
>Feuermann's performance is to my mind a miracle of cello playing,
>and should not be missed.
>
>The orchestra (under Sargent, as I recall) isn't very good, however,
>although easy to ignore. Also, I'm not sure to what extent the
>edition used is similar to what might be used today.
>--
> Al Eisner

Until the 1960s IIRC, this concerto was often performed with an
extended orchestral accompaniment that included flutes and clarinets.
I believe the arranger's name was Gevaert. Is that what was used in
the Feuermann performance? Are there any recorded modern performances
of this version?

Frank Berger

ongelezen,
12 apr 2016, 11:00:5712-04-2016
aan
Quite the contrary. Feuermann apparently used what may me
have been an original edition of the score, before it was
tarted up by Gevaert and others.

Al Eisner

ongelezen,
12 apr 2016, 17:27:3612-04-2016
aan
I have the 4-CD Heritage set, which consists of 3 English Columbia CD's
(licensed from Pearl) plus one CD of earlier Parlophone recordings
(perhaps also Pearl?). Sorry to get slightly off-topic, but I see
that that Naxos CD also includes the Dvorak concerto from Parlophone
(1928-9). While I find the sound on the Haydn in my set acceptable,
the Dvorak is another matter: with its fuller and more important
orchestral part, I find it rather difficult to listen to. So I'd
be interested to know how well the Dvorak works out in M. O-T's
version. Thanks.
--
Al Eisner

Frank Berger

ongelezen,
12 apr 2016, 18:32:3312-04-2016
aan
I doubt any amount of re-mastering will improve the
accompaniment on the Dvorak.

AB

ongelezen,
12 apr 2016, 19:49:4512-04-2016
aan
your not listening for the orchstral part. concentrate on Feurmann. When I listen to Kreisler, I don't worry about the piano....

AB

Al Eisner

ongelezen,
13 apr 2016, 17:11:2613-04-2016
aan
> your not listening for the orchstral part. concentrate on Feurmann. When K
> I listen to Kreisler, I don't worry about the piano....

Easy to ignore the orchestra in the Haydn, more difficult in the
Dvorak; and the cello sound itself isn't great. Damn, why didn't
Feuermann (note spelling) record this (and much more) again? Of
course he didn't know how little time he would have....
--
Al Eisner
Bericht is verwijderd

gggg...@gmail.com

ongelezen,
12 nov 2017, 02:43:2612-11-2017
aan
The EMI/W. was just uploaded on Youtube on 11/11 and has already generated several comments. So far, none of them have been negative.

wkasimer

ongelezen,
13 nov 2017, 09:46:5313-11-2017
aan
On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 2:43:26 AM UTC-5, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:

> The EMI/W. was just uploaded on Youtube on 11/11 and has already generated several comments. So far, none of them have been negative.

Is that supposed to matter to me, or to anyone else?

gggg...@gmail.com

ongelezen,
15 nov 2017, 14:15:4815-11-2017
aan
Shouldn't it matter to those who have a high opinion of themselves and who feel that they don't have to listen to anybody?

By the way, that Youtube upload has now been viewed close to 5 thousand times and now has 11 comments--none of them negative.

wkasimer

ongelezen,
15 nov 2017, 15:27:5515-11-2017
aan
On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 2:15:48 PM UTC-5, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > The EMI/W. was just uploaded on Youtube on 11/11 and has already generated several comments. So far, none of them have been negative.
> >
> > Is that supposed to matter to me, or to anyone else?
>
> Shouldn't it matter to those who have a high opinion of themselves and who feel that they don't have to listen to anybody?

It only matters to people who have no opinions of their own and simply regurgitate those of others. I listen for myself and make up my own mind.

> By the way, that Youtube upload has now been viewed close to 5 thousand times and now has 11 comments--none of them negative.

Again, why should I care about a bunch of anonymous Youtube "critics"?

gggg...@gmail.com

ongelezen,
2 dec 2017, 16:59:4502-12-2017
aan
- Quick condemnation...of views with which we disagree, of ideas that do not attract us, is the sign of a narrow mind, of an uncultivated intelligence.

Annie Besant

markhax

ongelezen,
3 dec 2017, 12:03:5603-12-2017
aan
Annie Besant? Co-Author of "Thought Forms"? Surely a first in this forum! I'm impressed!

wkasimer

ongelezen,
3 dec 2017, 22:56:2003-12-2017
aan
On Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 4:59:45 PM UTC-5, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:

> - Quick condemnation...of views with which we disagree, of ideas that do not attract us, is the sign of a narrow mind, of an uncultivated intelligence.

Pretty lame, considering that your original posting indicates that you were unaware that there are two commercial recordings of MR playing the Haydn concerti.

And my condemnation was hardly quick. I've owned the Rostropovich/Marriner recording for many years, not to mention virtually every commercial recording, and numerous broadcasts. I'm going to hazard a guess that you've actually never heard the recording in question, and are simply using this thread as a pretext to quote someone else as a substitute for actual thought.

gggg...@gmail.com

ongelezen,
4 dec 2017, 00:28:5804-12-2017
aan
- You can disagree without being disagreeable.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg

wkasimer

ongelezen,
4 dec 2017, 06:07:2504-12-2017
aan
On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 12:28:58 AM UTC-5, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:

> - You can disagree without being disagreeable.

You might try that sometime.
Bericht is verwijderd

gggg...@gmail.com

ongelezen,
23 dec 2017, 00:41:1323-12-2017
aan
In a little over a month, it has garnered over 20 comments with 14 thousand views and counting:

- It is my conviction that the public always shows itself more honest in its spontaneity than do those who officially set themselves up as judges of works of art.

Igor Stravinsky

wkasimer

ongelezen,
26 dec 2017, 21:37:1326-12-2017
aan
On Saturday, December 23, 2017 at 12:41:13 AM UTC-5, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:

> In a little over a month, it has garnered over 20 comments with 14 thousand views and counting:

You know what? I still don't like the recording. Live with it.

> - It is my conviction that the public always shows itself more honest in its spontaneity than do those who officially set themselves up as judges of works of art.

You mean, like the folks at MusicWeb International?

gggg gggg

ongelezen,
5 sep 2021, 17:35:0205-09-2021
aan
On Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 5:47:17 AM UTC-7, FePe wrote:
> Hello from a new poster. I hope that I'm welcome.
> I have three versions of the Haydn cello concertos in C major (Hob
> VIIb:1) and D major (Hob VIIb:2): du Pré/Barenboim, Han-Na
> Chang/Sinopoli and Gautier Capucon/Harding. I like them all, but are
> most fond of the modern interpretation by Capucon. I want some more
> versions as I like the concertos very much.
> Can you recommend some recordings?
> -FePe

(Recent Y. upload):

Haydn - The Cello Concertos Nos.1,2 (reference recording: Jacqueline Du Pré, Daniel Barenboim)
0 nieuwe berichten