Famous People with Perfect Pitch

Premise Checker

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99
I learned later that Bernstein does not have perfect pitch.

http://members.wbs.net/homepages/c/a/n/cancrians/index.htm

FAMOUS PEOPLE WITH PERFECT PITCH

What is Perfect Pitch? In music, perfect pitch (also known as "absolute
pitch") is the
ability to distinguish and identify a given note without any musical or
tonal support.
For a more detailed explanation, see this definition.

Why make a site like this? Basically, to evaluate the effects of perfect
pitch through
the musical activity of famous possessors. In composers, the data presented
here
can help to determine whether their music is of a different quality,
complexity, etc.
than that of non-perfect pitch musicians. In performers, it can be used to
see if
perfect pitch plays a significant role in intonation, interpretation,
improvisation, etc.
Additionally, the site can also be helpful for doing research on a
particular individual,
since the possession of perfect pitch can serve to explain his musical
development.

So, in general, Famous People with Perfect Pitch is not intended to prove a
specific
thesis; its aim is to provide evidence that can be eventually used for
different purposes.

How can you help? If you know of any famous person with this ability please
add him. All the information shown here has been proven to a reasonable
degree.
If you find a mistake, don't hesitate to tell me.

Note on classical composers: It is said most of them had perfect pitch.
However,
the existence of important composers that DID NOT have perfect pitch
(Wagner,
Berlioz, Schumann, Stravinsky, Ravel, etc.) should prevent us from posting
incorrect
information. Therefore we must limit ourselves to include documented (books,

magazines, television interviews, etc.) information exclusively.

CODE

? = Uncertainty: I'm not completely sure that the individual has PP. Click
on artist for more details.

B/L = Born or Learned: determines if the individual was born with perfect
pitch or has learned the ability during lifetime. I only specify when I'm
sure someone was not born with PP (L); otherwise I leave the field in blank,
which does not mean that I'm sure that he or she was born with it. In most
cases, however, that's the most probable thing.

?*
B/L*
Name
Occupation
Nationality

Andrews, Julie
Actress, singer
England

Argerich, Martha new!
Pianist
Argentina
?

Bach, Johann Sebastian
Composer, organist, clavier player
Germany

Bartók, Béla
Composer
Hungary

Beethoven, Ludwig van
Composer, pianist, conductor
Germany

Beiderbecke, Bix
Jazz musician
USA

Bennett, Richard Rodney
Composer
England

Bernstein, Leonard
Composer, conductor, pianist
USA

Bey, Andy
Singer, pianist
USA

Blackmore, Ritchie
Guitarist, rock musician
England

Boulez, Pierre
Composer, conductor
France

Burge, David L.
Creator of the Perfect Pitch SuperCourse
USA

Caamaño, Roberto
Pianist, composer
Argentina

Cabjolsky, Klaus
Pianist, teacher
Germany

Chopin, Frédéric
Composer, pianist
Poland

Cole, Nat King
Singer, pianist
USA
?

Craft, Robert
Conductor, writer
USA

Dale, Jimmy
Pianist, composer
UK

Dolina, Alejandro jr.
Pianist
Argentina
?

Du Pre, Jacqueline
Cellist
England

East, Nathan
Bassist
USA

Farrow, Mia
Actress
USA
?

Fitzgerald, Ella
Singer
USA

García, Charly
Rock musician, keyboardist
Argentina

García Mendy, Gustavo
Composer
Argentina

Gelber, Bruno new!
Pianist
Argentina

Gould, Glenn
Pianist
Canada

Händel, George Frideric
Composer
Germany

Heifetz, Jascha
Violinist
USA

Hindemith, Paul
Composer, violist
Germany
?

Horowitz, Vladimir
Pianist
Russia

Johnson, Eric
Guitarist, rock musician
USA

Lupo Pasini, Alessandro
Composer, organist, teacher
Italy

Ma, Yo-Yo
Cellist
China
?

Mae, Vanessa
Violinist
England

Malmsteen, Yngwie
Guitarist, rock musician
Sweden

Mars, Tommy
Rock/jazz musician, keyboardist
USA
?

Menuhin, Yehudi
Violinist
USA

Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus
Composer, pianist
Austria

Napravnik, E. F.
Conductor
Russia

Peterson, Oscar
Pianist
Canada

Previn, André
Composer
Germany

Primrose, William
Violist
Scotland

Renzi, Mike
Pianist
USA

Richter, Sviatoslav
Pianist
Russia

Rimsky-Korsakov, Nikolay
Composer
Russia

Rockmore, Clara R.
Theremin player
Russia

Rubinstein, Arthur
Pianist, composer
Poland

Shaffer, Paul
Entertainer
Canada

Simon, Agahte
Organist, conductor, pianist
France

Sinatra, Frank
Singer
USA

Streisand, Barbra
Singer, actress, producer
USA

Stewart, Slam
Bassist
USA

Tatum, Art
Pianist
USA

Tebar, Ximo
Jazz musician, guitarist
Spain

Toscanini, Arturo
Conductor, composer
Italy
?
Vai, Steve
Rock musician, guitarist
USA

Weber, Jon
Pianist
USA

Wenger, Win
Writer
USA

Wonder, Stevie
Musician
USA

Yanni
Musician
Greece

Site created, managed and maintained by Pablo Stafforini

Sander Verheule

Nov 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/20/99
It all seems to be equal to twenty, or is that my problem?

Sander.

Matthew B. Tepper

Nov 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/20/99
In article <Pine.GSO.4.05.99111...@shell.clark.net>,
che...@clark.net is reputed to have iterated as follows...

>I learned later that Bernstein does not have perfect pitch.

Well, these days, as the song goes, he ain't got no body.

"Compassionate Conservatism?" * "Tight Slacks?" * "Jumbo Shrimp?"

Owen Hartnett

Nov 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/20/99

> FAMOUS PEOPLE WITH PERFECT PITCH

Pedro Martinez

(Apologies to those unacquainted with American baseball or this year's AL
Cy Young Award winner. No apologies to Yankee fans!)

-Owen

Robert H. Risch

Nov 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/20/99
On Sat, 20 Nov 1999 15:29:18 -0500, ow...@ids.net (Owen Hartnett) wrote:

>> FAMOUS PEOPLE WITH PERFECT PITCH
>

>Pedro Martinez
>
>(Apologies to those unacquainted with American baseball or this year's AL
>Cy Young Award winner. No apologies to Yankee fans!)
>
>-Owen

I seem to remember reading that President Clinton has perfect pitch and was
offered a music scholarship as a result. Can anyone confirm or contradict?

vladimir

Nov 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/20/99

Robert H. Risch wrote in message ...

>On Sat, 20 Nov 1999 15:29:18 -0500, ow...@ids.net (Owen Hartnett) wrote:
>

>>> FAMOUS PEOPLE WITH PERFECT PITCH
>>

>>Pedro Martinez
>>
>>(Apologies to those unacquainted with American baseball or this year's AL
>>Cy Young Award winner. No apologies to Yankee fans!)
>>
>>-Owen
>
>I seem to remember reading that President Clinton has perfect pitch and was
>offered a music scholarship as a result. Can anyone confirm or contradict?

I can only express my deep sorrow from being denied the chance to listen to
his professional recordings.

- Phil Caron

Matthew B. Tepper

Nov 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/20/99
In article <s3e58f...@corp.supernews.com>, vlad...@vermontel.com is
reputed to have iterated as follows...

Me too (and I voted for him twice).

jan winter

Nov 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/20/99
On Sat, 20 Nov 1999 15:32:56 -0500, Robert H. Risch <r...@us.ibm.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Nov 1999 15:29:18 -0500, ow...@ids.net (Owen Hartnett) wrote:
>

>>> FAMOUS PEOPLE WITH PERFECT PITCH
>>

>>Pedro Martinez
>>
>>(Apologies to those unacquainted with American baseball or this year's AL
>>Cy Young Award winner. No apologies to Yankee fans!)
>>
>>-Owen
>

>I seem to remember reading that President Clinton has perfect pitch and was
>offered a music scholarship as a result. Can anyone confirm or contradict?

He certainly has the perfect bitch :-)

--
regards,

jan winter, amsterdam
(j.wi...@xs4all.nl)

music is the healing force of the universe
(Albert Ayler)

Bob Lombard

Nov 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/20/99

>>>I seem to remember reading that President Clinton has perfect pitch and
>>>was offered a music scholarship as a result. Can anyone confirm or
>>>contradict?
>>
>>I can only express my deep sorrow from being denied the chance to listen
>>to his professional recordings.
>>
>>- Phil Caron
>
>Me too (and I voted for him twice).
>
>--
>Matthew B. Tepper

I can only express my deep suspicion that he would have been a straight
version of Liberace (maybe not so many glissandos).

bl

ManrayHawk

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99

VIrtually every "name" composer of any stature had perfect pitch. Wagner was a
rare exception.

-david gable

Brendan R. Wehrung

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99

Hey, give the guy a chance. Maybe he'll get a day job as a sax player
after he leaves office.

Brendan

Jeremy Cook

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
In article <owen-20119...@192.168.0.2>,

ow...@ids.net (Owen Hartnett) wrote:

> > FAMOUS PEOPLE WITH PERFECT PITCH
>
> Pedro Martinez
>
> (Apologies to those unacquainted with American baseball or this
> year's AL Cy Young Award winner. No apologies to Yankee fans!)

I seem to recall that it was David Cone of the Yankees who pitched a
*perfect* game this year. But hey, I can't blame you Red Sox fans for
being bitter... after all, your team had a *dreadful* century. :-D

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Matthew B. Tepper

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
Jeremy Cook wrote:

> In article <owen-20119...@192.168.0.2>,
> ow...@ids.net (Owen Hartnett) wrote:
> > >
> > > FAMOUS PEOPLE WITH PERFECT PITCH
> >
> > Pedro Martinez
> >
> > (Apologies to those unacquainted with American baseball or this
> > year's AL Cy Young Award winner. No apologies to Yankee fans!)
>
> I seem to recall that it was David Cone of the Yankees who pitched a
> *perfect* game this year. But hey, I can't blame you Red Sox fans for
> being bitter... after all, your team had a *dreadful* century. :-D

Some of my friends wonder why, with my interest in statistics and
failures, I don't follow the Dodgers. Well....

Actually, the reason I no longer attend baseball games is simple. The
last time I went, I saw Koufax pitch. Why spoil that?

Andrys D Basten

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99

Premise Checker <che...@clark.net> wrote:
>I learned later that Bernstein does not have perfect pitch.

hmmm? As the site says, documentation?

I remember an old, printed interview with him, during which he
stopped when he heard a truck making some noise, and said
something like "C# minor"... Jeff Kahane, a pianist-conductor
with PP once listed Bernstein (on a Compuserve forum) as one of
the conductors having PP. Ozawa's another one. Can't prove
such a thing, but when we sang under him it was just accepted
that he did. Supposedly it was instrumental in his learning
scores so easily that he very often conducted without the score
in front of him.

Why are you listing everyone who's listed on the site?

By the way, Argerich may be a 'painist' to some but perhaps
you might change your description for the clicked-on description :)

>B/L = Born or Learned: determines if the individual was born with perfect

??? It's generally thought that many (if not most) people are
born with the capacity for it but only if someone starts their
training early enough (5-6) will it jell.

- A

--
Andrys Basten, CNE http://www.andrys.com/ PC Network Support
http://www.andrys.com/books.html - Classical-Music Searches on one page

Robert H. Risch

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
On 21 Nov 1999 19:08:49 GMT, and...@netcom.com (Andrys D Basten) wrote:

>In article <Pine.GSO.4.05.99111...@shell.clark.net>,
>Premise Checker <che...@clark.net> wrote:

>>I learned later that Bernstein does not have perfect pitch.
>

> hmmm? As the site says, documentation?
>
> I remember an old, printed interview with him, during which he
>stopped when he heard a truck making some noise, and said
>something like "C# minor"... Jeff Kahane, a pianist-conductor
>with PP once listed Bernstein (on a Compuserve forum) as one of
>the conductors having PP. Ozawa's another one. Can't prove
>such a thing, but when we sang under him it was just accepted
>that he did. Supposedly it was instrumental in his learning
>scores so easily that he very often conducted without the score
>in front of him.

I've seen so many contradictory things said on the subject of absolute
pitch that I am wondering if I can believe anything. I remember an
interview with Lorin Maazel in the NYTimes where he said that he won't
consider anyone for an assistant conductorship in Cleveland unless they
have absolute pitch. He said that you cannot conduct atonal music
otherwise. Another article I read said that some of the leading singers in
such music like Jan DeGaetanti didn't have absolute pitch. I wonder if all
atonal composers have it?

One musician told me that Beethoven definitely had it since otherwise he
wouldn't have been able to imagine some of the things in his last quartets.
I don't understand why very good relative pitch wouldn't be enough. I've
read in many places that Schumann didn't have it even though he was a
wunderkind, composing music when he was 5. Does anyone know the source of
information for his lack of this ability?

Robert R.

"And gladly wolde he lerne, and gladly teche".
Chaucer on the "Clerk of Oxenford".

Marc Perman

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
"Matthew B. Tepper" <o...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Jeremy Cook wrote:

>> > Pedro Martinez
>> >
>> > (Apologies to those unacquainted with American baseball or this
>> > year's AL Cy Young Award winner. No apologies to Yankee fans!)
>>
>> I seem to recall that it was David Cone of the Yankees who pitched a
>> *perfect* game this year. But hey, I can't blame you Red Sox fans for
>> being bitter... after all, your team had a *dreadful* century. :-D
>
>Some of my friends wonder why, with my interest in statistics and
>failures, I don't follow the Dodgers. Well....
>
>Actually, the reason I no longer attend baseball games is simple. The
>last time I went, I saw Koufax pitch. Why spoil that?

You've missed a of good baseball in the last 33 years, though if there
was ever a time to bail on the Dodgers, it is now: the Murdochs don't
have a clue as to how to run a sports franchise.

Marc Perman

Dr.Matt

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
In article <422h3sgpeco94eeov...@4ax.com>,

Robert H. Risch <r...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>I've seen so many contradictory things said on the subject of absolute
>pitch that I am wondering if I can believe anything.

Ummm, no, I don't think you can.

> I remember an
>interview with Lorin Maazel in the NYTimes where he said that he won't
>consider anyone for an assistant conductorship in Cleveland unless they
>have absolute pitch. He said that you cannot conduct atonal music
>otherwise.

Truly a strange notion. If you know the sound of a viola's open C string,
atonality won't dash it. If you don't, tonality won't help.

> Another article I read said that some of the leading singers in
>such music like Jan DeGaetanti didn't have absolute pitch. I wonder if all
>atonal composers have it?

About half of what I write is deeply atonal, and I've never had it.

>One musician told me that Beethoven definitely had it since otherwise he
>wouldn't have been able to imagine some of the things in his last quartets.

Beethoven had wonderful imagination---plus he worked very hard to achieve
his results (see the sketchbooks, in which a lot of rather good music is
crossed out).

>I don't understand why very good relative pitch wouldn't be enough.

Beethoven lived before the widespread acceptance of A=440. I think absolute
pitch is a nice parlor trick and probably would be helpful occasionally, but
it's really not as important as focus and drive.

--
My CD "Kabala": http://www-personal.umich.edu/~fields/cd.html
Matt Fields, DMA http://listen.to/mattaj TwelveToneToyBox http://start.at/tttb

David Cleary

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
In rec.music.classical Jeremy Cook <jerem...@my-deja.com> wrote:
: In article <owen-20119...@192.168.0.2>,
: ow...@ids.net (Owen Hartnett) wrote:
:> >
:> > FAMOUS PEOPLE WITH PERFECT PITCH
:>
:> Pedro Martinez

:>
:> (Apologies to those unacquainted with American baseball or this
:> year's AL Cy Young Award winner. No apologies to Yankee fans!)

: I seem to recall that it was David Cone of the Yankees who pitched a
: *perfect* game this year. But hey, I can't blame you Red Sox fans for
: being bitter... after all, your team had a *dreadful* century. :-D

It started off pretty well, though. If I remember correctly, the Red Sox
won 5 World Series, though the last occurred in 1918.

All in all, not an entirely dreadful century for the Red Sox, I'd say.

Dave

Bill Jackson

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99

Dr.Matt wrote in message .
(clipped for brevity)

>Beethoven lived before the widespread acceptance of A=440. I think absolute
>pitch is a nice parlor trick and probably would be helpful occasionally,
but
>it's really not as important as focus and drive.

Part of a larger (rhetorical) question: how much do specific talents
correlate with artistic potential? Does being a "quick study" in the
rudiments imply the depth necessary to excell at higher levels?

ManrayHawk

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99

According to Robert Craft, one of the two singers who participated in his
recording of the complete works of Webern had perfect pitch while the other did
not. One of the singers was Marni Nixon, the other's name escapes me at the
moment. I can't remember which had perfect pitch either.

-david gable

Dr.Matt

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
In article <81g2pm$55o$1...@news.junction.net>,