Scarlatti from 29 year old Michelangeli - Rare

JohnGavin

Dec 25, 2007, 3:05:07 PM12/25/07
Here is a rare film from 1949, Michelangeli playing Scarlatti Sonata
in D which he never commercially recorded. Fantastic playing!!

To skip Italian introduction move slide to 2:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm2p0AKAfWs&feature=related

Rugby

Dec 26, 2007, 8:16:00 AM12/26/07

Thanks, and here's Martha in Scarlatti : www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcsRl_LIJHA&feature=related

Rugby

Rugby

Dec 26, 2007, 8:17:27 AM12/26/07
On Dec 25, 2:05 pm, JohnGavin <dagd...@comcast.net> wrote:

And the rest form 1949:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXHUIpNCu2k

Rugby

Matthew B. Tepper

Dec 26, 2007, 10:27:46 AM12/26/07
Rugby <steve...@gmail.com> appears to have caused the following letters
to be typed in

Goodness, those repeated notes!

War is Peace. ** Freedom is Slavery. ** It's all Napster's fault!

Paul Ilechko

Dec 26, 2007, 11:39:38 AM12/26/07
JohnGavin wrote:
> Here is a rare film from 1949, Michelangeli playing Scarlatti Sonata
> in D which he never commercially recorded. Fantastic playing!!

The same Sonata is in the Aura box set, but it's a 1943 recording.

EM

Dec 26, 2007, 3:42:14 PM12/26/07

JohnGavin

Dec 26, 2007, 4:31:45 PM12/26/07
On Dec 26, 3:42 pm, EM <emmemmmemnmme...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rugby <steveha...@gmail.com> - Wed, 26 Dec 2007 05:16:00 -0800 (PST):

> > Thanks, and here's Martha in Scarlatti
>
> More Scarlatti:
>
> <http://www.stage6.com/user/opus3863aa/video/1880822/IVO-POGORELICH-pl...>
>
> <http://www.stage6.com/user/opus3863aa/video/1830946/CZIFFRA-RECITALS-...>
>
> <http://www.stage6.com/user/opus3863aa/video/1767517/HOROWITZ-IN-LONDO...>
>
> <http://www.stage6.com/user/opus3863aa/video/1752958/Horowitz-A-Televi...>
>
> EM

I have never seen the Cziffra before - he seems to be particularly
enjoying the Scarlatti - wonderful stuff!

Rugby

Dec 26, 2007, 11:35:32 PM12/26/07
On Dec 26, 2:42 pm, EM <emmemmmemnmme...@gmail.com>

> More Scarlatti:
>
> <http://www.stage6.com/user/opus3863aa/video/1880822/IVO-POGORELICH-pl...>

Bravo !! Thanks,

Rugby

Message has been deleted

Paolo Pesenti

Dec 27, 2007, 6:26:21 PM12/27/07
On Dec 26, 11:39 am, Paul Ilechko <pilec...@patmedia.net> wrote:
> JohnGavin wrote:
> > Here is a rare film from 1949,Michelangeliplaying Scarlatti Sonata

> > in D which he never commercially recorded. Fantastic playing!!
>
> The same Sonata is in the Aura box set, but it's a 1943 recording.

The only other ABM version of the Sonata in D L461 Kk 29 is the Arezzo
1952 (Aura 226 or Tahra 537). There are several versions of the Sonata
in b L449 Kk27, starting from the commercial Telefunken 1943.

JohnGavin

Dec 27, 2007, 6:30:58 PM12/27/07
On Dec 27, 6:26 pm, Paolo Pesenti <paolo_pese...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 26, 11:39 am, Paul Ilechko <pilec...@patmedia.net> wrote:
>
> > JohnGavin wrote:
> > > Here is a rare film from 1949,Michelangeliplaying Scarlatti Sonata
> > > in D which he never commercially recorded.  Fantastic playing!!
>
> > The same Sonata is in the Aura box set, but it's a 1943 recording.
>
> The only other ABM version of the Sonata in D L461 Kk 29 is the Arezzo
> 1952 (Aura 226 or Tahra 537).

Yes, and I believe that is a radio broadcast of a recital??

Paolo Pesenti

Dec 27, 2007, 6:43:51 PM12/27/07
On Dec 27, 6:30 pm, JohnGavin <dagd...@comcast.net> wrote:

> > The only other ABM version of the Sonata in D L461 Kk 29 is the Arezzo

> > 1952 (Aura 226 or Tahra 537).
>
> Yes, and I believe that is a radio broadcast of a recital??

Indeed, and one of his best: 1952 12 Feb Arezzo (Teatro Petrarca)
RAVEL --- Valses nobles et sentimentales / BEETHOVEN --- Sonata No.3
in C, Op.2 No.3 / CHOPIN --- Sonata No.2 in B flat, Op.35 / BRAHMS ---
Variations on a theme by Paganini, Op.35 / SCARLATTI --- Sonata in b
Kk27 L449 / Sonata in D Kk29 L461 / Sonata in A Kk322 L483

Charles Milton Ling

Dec 28, 2007, 3:58:51 AM12/28/07

Frightening. I can hardly breathe when I hear this.
I am in awe, and not sure whether I want to hear it again.
Dammit, I *so* wish he wouldn't have cancelled all the three concerts
for which I had tickets. Then, I might have had a heart attack and you
would be spared my musings.

Greetings to all,
Charley

--
Charles Milton Ling
Vienna, Austria

Rugby

Dec 28, 2007, 7:33:52 AM12/28/07
On Dec 28, 2:58 am, Charles Milton Ling <cml...@teleweb.at> wrote:
> > Frightening.  I can hardly breathe when I hear this.

Charles, the Pogorelich's noted above are also wonderful, and perhaps
not quite as dangerous for your heart.

Rugby

JohnGavin

Dec 28, 2007, 10:05:59 AM12/28/07
On Dec 28, 3:58 am, Charles Milton Ling <cml...@teleweb.at> wrote:

> Frightening.  I can hardly breathe when I hear this.
> I am in awe, and not sure whether I want to hear it again.
 Then, I might have had a heart attack and you
> would be spared my musings.
>
> Greetings to all,
> Charley

That is a good description of my frequent reaction to Richter's
playing.