Re: Hurwitz reviews Karl Böhm later recordings box on DG

Message has been deleted

Ricardo Jimenez

Jan 10, 2017, 5:27:02 PM1/10/17
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 13:25:57 -0800 (PST), Oscar
<oscaredwar...@gmail.com> wrote:

>3. Haydn and Mozart. These two composers belong together because Böhm’s approach was much the same: relaxed, genial, graceful, “big band” classical. They couldn’t be less stylish by today’s standards, but again, the performances have aged well if only for the care and integrity that characterize the interpretations. I have never found them dull if you focus on phrasing and articulation rather than just tempo. You get Haydn Symphonies Nos. 88-92 plus the Sinfonia concertante (check out the wonderful and rarely heard No. 90), and Mozart’s Symphonies Nos. 29, 35, 38-41, Eine kleine Nachtmusik, the Sinfonia concertante K297b, the Masonic Funeral Music, and a first rate account of the Requiem (the quartet of soloists led by Edith Mathis)–all with the Vienna Philharmonic.

Too bad they didn't include his account of "The Seasons". Still the
No. 1 pick despite much HIP competition.

Randy Lane

Jan 10, 2017, 6:32:28 PM1/10/17
The Seasons is in the follow-up collection similarly packaged and due for European release Feb. 2017

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/karl-boehm-great-recordings-1953-1972/hnum/5645203

87go...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2017, 9:03:01 PM1/14/17
On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 4:25:59 PM UTC-5, Oscar wrote:
> From Classics Today:

Oscar:

I don't want to make a big issue of this, but this is copyrighted material, kept behind a paywall. I can't stop anyone from sharing or posting it, but placing it here is a pretty flagrant act and, effectively, stealing. There is plenty of free content on the site that people can share as they please, but I would appreciate your respecting our rights of those of our subscribers. Alternately, you can contact us to ask permission to post content and we can discuss it. But just taking it like that without permission really isn't cool.

Thank you for your understanding.

Dave H
CT.com

Oscar

Jan 14, 2017, 9:27:23 PM1/14/17
On Saturday, January 14, 2017 at 6:03:01 PM, Dave Hurwitz wrote:

> But just taking it like that without permission really isn't cool.

Oy. I thought subscribers were permitted to post one Insider review on any site of their choosing during the week of their renewal? Lookit, I am not posting every review you or David or Jed write; it was a one-off. It happens to be, therefore, that I thought it was an innocent "repurposing", that I'm _helping_ your site by contributing a free advertisement and tacitly enjoining others to talk about it. But you can be sure that was the last time. Because, I am not a crook. (And I don't want Lebrecht coming on here next upbraiding me.)

Herman

Jan 15, 2017, 4:17:51 PM1/15/17
On Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 3:27:23 AM UTC+1, Oscar wrote:

> Because, I am not a crook.

Famous last words

Oscar

Jan 15, 2017, 4:37:09 PM1/15/17
On Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 1:17:51 PM, herman wrote:

> > Because, I am not a crook.
>
> Famous last words

If you like yr doctor you can keep yr doctor.