Fake conductors and the Symphonie Fantastique

benjo maso

Jul 8, 2002, 5:48:09 PM7/8/02
What have the recordings of Nanut/SORadio Ljubljana, George Randoph
Warren/New Classical Philharmony, Alberto Lizzio/Süddeutsche Philh., Alfred
Scholz/London Festival Orch., Jean Gardinon(!)/Paris Festival Orch., Loic
Bertrand/Orch. Symphonique du Festival and Henry Adolph/Philhar. Slavonica
in common?
Answer: they are one and the same.
Perlea/Bamberg Symph. and Leonardo Scotti/Rome Symph. Orch. are also the
same. So are Pinchas Steinberg/CSR SO Bratislawa and Iwan Svetlanow(!)/OS de
Montréal.
I got these data from a friend of mine who hoped he had 170 recordings of
the Symphonie Fantastique, but has discovered he has to make do with only
162.

Benjo Maso

Paul Goldstein

Jul 8, 2002, 6:07:54 PM7/8/02
In article <agd1t6$kpaaf$1...@ID-75468.news.dfncis.de>, "benjo says...

Nanut is a real person. Scholz is a real charlatan. Perlea, of course, was a
fine opera conductor,admired by Toscanini for one, whose Vox recordings (of
which this is one) are presumably legitimate. (Can anyone comment on the
quality of those Vox recordings?) P. Steinberg is most definitely real, as
recently discussed in another thread - someone has apparently bootlegged his
Naxos Sym. Fantastique (which I haven't heard). Incidentally, Steinberg and the
Koelner Rundfunkorchester (IIRC) did an excellent Leroy Anderson disc that is or
was on LaserLight. It is idiomatic, beautifully played, and superbly recorded.
I like it a lot more than his leaden Flying Dutchman.

Paul Goldstein

Thomas Muething

Jul 8, 2002, 6:54:02 PM7/8/02
benjo maso wrote:

Your listing doesn't make any sense. There are enough real people
involved here to make the argument that they "recorded" one and the same
SF seem ridiculous. Maybe your friend owns a stereo that MAKES all
recordings sound the same ;-)

Thomas

Thomas Muething

Jul 8, 2002, 7:03:08 PM7/8/02
Paul Goldstein wrote:

>Scholz is a real charlatan.

Please elaborate.

Thomas

benjo maso

Jul 8, 2002, 7:01:59 PM7/8/02

"Thomas Muething" <tmue...@t-online.de> wrote in message

The first seven are the same. They have not only the same timings, but also
the same groaning and extraneous noises at the same passages. Steinberg is
different, but the same as Swetlanow, Perlea is the same as Scotti. That
some of the names involved are from real conductors is irrelevant. Mahler's
second symphony has been released under the names Nanut and Horvath (both
are real people), Mahler's sixth symphony under the names Nanut and Haenchen
(real persons as well).

Benjo Maso

Matthew B. Tepper

Jul 8, 2002, 8:15:23 PM7/8/02
"benjo maso" <Benjo...@chello.nl> wrote in

My condolences.

Top 3 worst UK exports: Mad-cow; Foot-and-mouth; Charlotte Church

Paul Goldstein

Jul 8, 2002, 8:39:14 PM7/8/02
In article <3D2A1A2C...@t-online.de>, Thomas says...

>Paul Goldstein wrote:
>
>>Scholz is a real charlatan.
>>
>Please elaborate.

His exploits used to be described in detail on the Naxos website. He is the
person supposedly responsible for the "Vienna Masters, " "Point," and other old
cheapo lines. He is said to have attributed many recordings by real conductors
such as Horvath and Melles to himself.

Paul Goldstein

Joseph Vitale

Jul 8, 2002, 9:56:28 PM7/8/02
"benjo maso" <Benjo...@chello.nl> wrote in

> What have the recordings of Nanut/SORadio Ljubljana, George Randoph

I sure hope Perlea is real. I have fond memories of growing up with his
various Vox recordings as a kid. As they were all on vinyl and have long
since been tossed, I could not answer as to their musical worth today.

JV

Samir Golescu

Jul 8, 2002, 10:01:44 PM7/8/02

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Joseph Vitale wrote:

> I sure hope Perlea is real.

He is "realer" than most!! ( :

A remarkable conductor -- exiled from the communist Romania, he made a
tardive but highly applauded in Bucharest comeback shortly before dying
(it was in 1969, I think?) and conducted only with the left hand (he lost
the use of his right arm).... and with his eyes.

regards,
SG

Matthew B. Tepper

Jul 8, 2002, 10:04:31 PM7/8/02
Samir Golescu <gol...@uiuc.edu> wrote in

Didn't he die the same day as Szell and Barbirolli?

Eric Grunin

Jul 9, 2002, 12:04:18 AM7/9/02
On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 23:48:09 +0200, "benjo maso" <Benjo...@chello.nl>
wrote:

>What have the recordings of Nanut/SORadio Ljubljana, George Randoph
>Warren/New Classical Philharmony, Alberto Lizzio/Süddeutsche Philh., Alfred
>Scholz/London Festival Orch., Jean Gardinon(!)/Paris Festival Orch., Loic
>Bertrand/Orch. Symphonique du Festival and Henry Adolph/Philhar. Slavonica
>in common?
>Answer: they are one and the same.

Wow!

Nanut, Scholtz, and Adolph are all credited with recordings of the
'Eroica', I wonder if they're the same, too. I've only laid eyes on
the Nanut, whose case listed a first-movement time of 14:36.

Anyone have the others?

Regards,
Eric Grunin
www.grunin.com/eroica

David Gideon

Jul 9, 2002, 12:14:04 AM7/9/02
<< What have the recordings of Nanut/SORadio Ljubljana, George Randoph
Warren/New Classical Philharmony, Alberto Lizzio/Süddeutsche Philh., Alfred
Scholz/London Festival Orch., Jean Gardinon(!)/Paris Festival Orch., Loic
Bertrand/Orch. Symphonique du Festival and Henry Adolph/Philhar. Slavonica
in common?
Answer: they are one and the same.

I have not heard Nanut, who as far as I know is a real person. But I have heard
the Lizzio (on a Point Classics CD) and it is identical to an LP conducted by
Hans Swarowsky. It is an unusual performance in that in the final movement it
sounds like he uses not only chimes, but also piano and gong! (That also makes
it easy to identify under its aliases.)
dg

CD issues of long-unavailable classic performances from Scherchen,
Stokowski, Paray, Steinberg, and more, exclusively at:
http://members.aol.com/rediscclassics

Steve Molino

Jul 9, 2002, 6:21:02 AM7/9/02
Thomas Muething <tmue...@t-online.de> wrote in message news:<3D2A180A...@t-online.de>...

Whether it is 162 or 170, maybe your friend should seek therapy!

Joshua Kaufman

Jul 9, 2002, 6:56:10 AM7/9/02
David Gideon wrote:

> << What have the recordings of Nanut/SORadio Ljubljana, George Randoph
> Warren/New Classical Philharmony, Alberto Lizzio/Süddeutsche Philh., Alfred
> Scholz/London Festival Orch., Jean Gardinon(!)/Paris Festival Orch., Loic
> Bertrand/Orch. Symphonique du Festival and Henry Adolph/Philhar. Slavonica
> in common?
> Answer: they are one and the same.
> >>

> I have not heard Nanut, who as far as I know is a real person. But I have heard
> the Lizzio (on a Point Classics CD) and it is identical to an LP conducted by
> Hans Swarowsky. It is an unusual performance in that in the final movement it
> sounds like he uses not only chimes, but also piano and gong! (That also makes
> it easy to identify under its aliases.)
> dg

Piano and gong eh? Maybe it's worth the $3...

-Joshua
--
AOL-IM: TerraEpon ICQ: 5404138

Edward A. Cowan

Jul 9, 2002, 11:06:10 AM7/9/02
Matthew B. Tepper <o...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Didn't he die the same day as Szell and Barbirolli?

Perlea, Szell, and Barbirolli died on the same day, 29 July 1970.

--E.A.C.

sch...@gefen.cc.biu.ac.il

Jul 9, 2002, 12:10:08 PM7/9/02
In article <1ff1pt6.1wknwf0k6gpf0N%eac...@anet-dfw.com>, Edward A. Cowan <eac...@anet-dfw.com> wrote:

: Matthew B. Tepper <o...@earthlink.net> wrote:

:> Didn't he die the same day as Szell and Barbirolli?
:
: Perlea, Szell, and Barbirolli died on the same day, 29 July 1970.

And in all this time, no one has accused the CIA?

-----
Richard Schultz sch...@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
It's a bird, it's a plane -- no, it's Mozart. . .

Simon Roberts

Jul 9, 2002, 1:36:18 PM7/9/02
On Tue, 9 Jul 2002 16:10:08 +0000 (UTC), sch...@gefen.cc.biu.ac.il
<sch...@gefen.cc.biu.ac.il> wrote:
>In article <1ff1pt6.1wknwf0k6gpf0N%eac...@anet-dfw.com>, Edward A. Cowan <eac...@anet-dfw.com> wrote:
>: Matthew B. Tepper <o...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>:> Didn't he die the same day as Szell and Barbirolli?
>:
>: Perlea, Szell, and Barbirolli died on the same day, 29 July 1970.
>
>And in all this time, no one has accused the CIA?

No-one expects such competence of the CIA.

Simon

Samir Golescu

Jul 9, 2002, 2:30:34 PM7/9/02

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002 sch...@gefen.cc.biu.ac.il wrote:

> : Perlea, Szell, and Barbirolli died on the same day, 29 July 1970.
>
> And in all this time, no one has accused the CIA?

It's obvious one who thinks that didn't happen is a brainwashed simpleton
who doesn't read the "alternate media".

regards,
SG ( :

Dan Koren

Jul 11, 2002, 4:36:19 AM7/11/02
Samir Golescu <gol...@uiuc.edu> wrote in message news:<Pine.GSO.4.31.02070...@ux10.cso.uiuc.edu>...

It must have been a conspiracy of the HvK Brigades :)

dk