shakespeare operas

Lehn Mathias

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

I am writing my musicology doctorate on some operas composed after
Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream". I would be very interested in
any information (composer's biography, opera history, recordings, casts)
about the following operas :

Marek Alaszewski Ein Sommernachtstraum
Zigmas Aleksandravicius Vasarvidzio nakties sapnas
Alexandre Aliabiev Volshebnaya noch'
Giuseppe Allegra Il Sogno di una notte
Gaetano Andreozzi The Fairy Tale
Michael Arne The Fairy Tale
Thomas Arne The Fairy Prince
Dennis Arundell A Midsummer Night's Dream
Theodore Aylward A Midsummer Night's Dream
John Barnett Queen Mab
Hermann Berens En Sommarnattsdršm
Vincenzo Bernabei Gli Equivoci d'Amore
Rick Besoyan Babes in the Wood
Francesco Bianchi Piramo e Tisbe
Sir Henry R. Bishop A Midsummer Night's Dream
Neely Bruce Pyramus and Thisbe
Thomas Busby The Fair Fugitives
Robert Convery Pyramus and Thisbe
Thomas S. Cooke Oberon, or The Charmed Horn
Geoffrey Cummings-Knight Midsummer Night's Dream
Auguste De Boeck Een Winternachtsdroom
Marcel Delannoy Puck
Jaroslav Doubrava Sen noci svatojanske
Marion Elliston Six Musical Episodes
from Shakespeare with
Original Setting for
Children
Alfonso II Ferrabosco Oberon
Charles Fox Midsummer Night's Dream
François Francoeur
et François Rebel Pyrame et Thisbé
Francesco Gasparini Gl'equivoci d'amore e d'innocenza
Joaquin Gaztambide y Garbayo El Sueño de una noche de
verano
René Gerber Le Songe d'une nuit d'été
Federico Ghisi Piramo e Tisbe
Georg Christoph Grosheim Titania, oder Liebe durch Zauberei
Johann Adolf Hasse Piramo e Tisbe
Georges Hüe Titania
Friedrich Ludwig A. Kunzen Holger Danske oder Oberon
James Kurtz Bottom's Dream
John Frederick Lampe Pyramus and Thisbe
Ruggero Leoncavallo Songe d'une nuit d'été
Ray Leslee A Hollywood Midsummer Night's Dream
Richard Leveridge Pyramus and Thisbe
José Lloret Nochecita de San Juan
Edward James Loder Robin Goodfellow or the Frolics of Puck
Mihovil Logar Cetiri scene iz Sekspira
Luigi Mancinelli Sogno di una notte d'estate
Giuseppe Manusardi Un Sogno di primavera
Steven Margoshes Midsummer Night's Dream
Judith Martin Midsummer Night's Dream
Luca Mosca Il Sogno di Titania
Edouard Marie E. Noël Le Songe d'une nuit d'été
Jacques Offenbach Le Rêve d'une nuit d'été
Carl Orff Ein Sommernachtstraum
Mauro Pagani Sogno di una notte d'estate
Venanzio Rauzzini Piramo e Tisbe
Jean-Baptiste Rochefort Pyrame et Thisbé
Ugo Roti Il Sogno d'una notte d'estate
Gaston Serpette Le Songe d'une nuit d'été
Elie Siegmeister Night of the Moonspell
Stanley Silverman The Midsummer Night's Dream Show
John Christopher Smith The Fairies
Franz von Suppé Ein Sommernachtstraum
Randolph Tallman Midsummer Night's Dream
Ambroise Thomas Le Songe d'une nuit d'été
Edouard Tremisot Pyrame et Thisbé
David Francis Urrows Midsummer Night's Dream
Joaquin Valverde El Sueño de una noche de verano
Jimmy Van Heusen Swingin' the Dream
Pavel Vranicky Oberon, König der Elfen
Victor Vreuls Un Songe d'une nuit d'été
Lars Johan Werle En Midsommarnattsdröm
Ernst Wilhelm Wolf Die Zauberirrungen, oder Die Irrtürmer der
Zauberei

Many thanks to anyone who can help !!!!

--
Mathias LEHN, Paris, France, math...@worldnet.net

Falparsi

Oct 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/14/97
to Lehn Mathias

Lehn Mathias wrote:

> I am writing my musicology doctorate on some operas composed after
> Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream". I would be very interested in
> any information (composer's biography, opera history, recordings, casts)
> about the following operas :
>
> Marek Alaszewski Ein Sommernachtstraum
> Zigmas Aleksandravicius Vasarvidzio nakties sapnas
> Alexandre Aliabiev Volshebnaya noch'
> Giuseppe Allegra Il Sogno di una notte
> Gaetano Andreozzi The Fairy Tale
> Michael Arne The Fairy Tale
> Thomas Arne The Fairy Prince
> Dennis Arundell A Midsummer Night's Dream
> Theodore Aylward A Midsummer Night's Dream
> John Barnett Queen Mab
> Hermann Berens En Sommarnattsdršm
> Vincenzo Bernabei Gli Equivoci d'Amore
> Rick Besoyan Babes in the Wood
> Francesco Bianchi Piramo e Tisbe
> Sir Henry R. Bishop A Midsummer Night's Dream
> Neely Bruce Pyramus and Thisbe
> Thomas Busby The Fair Fugitives

[snip rest of long list]
> --

Unless I've missed it you have left out one of the most successful:
Benjamin Britten's opera.

Jim Dunphy

Matthew B. Tepper

Oct 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/14/97

Falparsi wrote:

> Lehn Mathias wrote:
> >
> > I am writing my musicology doctorate on some operas composed after
> > Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream". I would be very
> > interested in any information (composer's biography, opera history,
> > recordings, casts) about the following operas :

[snip entire list]

> [snip rest of long list]
> > --
>
> Unless I've missed it you have left out one of the most successful:
> Benjamin Britten's opera.
>
> Jim Dunphy

I get the feeling that he had all the documentation he needed for the
Britten opera, and merely didn't list it because he wanted to find out
about all the others.

My personal home page -- http://www.deltanet.com/~ducky/index.htm
My main music page --- http://www.deltanet.com/~ducky/berlioz.htm
And my science fiction club's home page --- http://www.lasfs.org/

The Melsons

Oct 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/15/97

On 13 Oct 1997 14:55:13 GMT, "Lehn Mathias" <math...@worldnet.fr>
wrote:

>I am writing my musicology doctorate on some operas composed after
>Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream". I would be very interested in
>any information (composer's biography, opera history, recordings, casts)
>about the following operas :

I reviewed classical music for the Shreveport (Louisiana) Times when
Elie Siegmeister's "Night of the Moonspell" was premiered by the
Shreveport Symphony (which commissioned the work). I remember little
about it except that it was an adaptation of the Shakespeare set in
south Louisiana's cajun country. I also wrote a review for Musical
America which appeared a few months after the premiere (which was in
1975 or 1976 - it was part of a trilogy of Siegmeister works
commissioned for the US Bicentennial).

I suggest you check Musical America for that period as well as the
Shreveport Times. Your best bet would be to contact the retired
conductor of the Shreveport Symphony, John Shenaut, who is still alive
and would probably be glad to talk to you about it. Try to reach John
through Shreveport directory assistance (area code 318) or through the
Shreveport Symphony office.

Good luck,

Mark Melson