Questions on Robert Heger

Paul Haebler

Dec 21, 2009, 3:54:28 PM12/21/09
Hello, friends!

I would like to set pair of questions concerning this conductor.

1. Where it is possible to find its discography?

2. Whether he wrote down Beethoven (symphonic)? If yes, where it is
possible to find and download?

Dontait...@aol.com

Dec 21, 2009, 5:05:39 PM12/21/09

Heger (1886-1978) was a pupil and disciple of Bruno Walter. I have
never seen a detailed discography devoted to him. It would be large,
because he made many recordings for decades after about 1928. There is
a listing of titles he recorded, with companies and years in some
cases, in "Conductors on Record" by John L. Holmes (Greenwood Press,
1982). The listing is immense, but no Beethoven symphonies are listed
and I have never heard of any.

Don Tait

Jeff

Dec 21, 2009, 7:03:09 PM12/21/09

Hi Don,

I believe there was a live Heger-conducted Beethoven Ninth from the
1960s on the Canadian bootleg label Maximas. I haven't heard it, but I
do have the Maximas CD of Heger's excellent live Bruckner Fourth with
the "Berlin Festival Orchestra" (a. k. a Berlin Philharmonic). Heger
made a very fine sutdio account of the Schumann "Rhenish" in the early
1960s with the Bamberg Symphony. The latter first appeared on a
Eurodisc LP; it's currently available on CD in a multi-disc Schumann
set from Concerto Royale.

Jeff Lipscomb

Sol L. Siegel

Dec 21, 2009, 9:26:15 PM12/21/09
Jeff <jeffli...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:20e1eab5-0f5e-4703-bb99-
190325...@w19g2000pre.googlegroups.com:

> I believe there was a live Heger-conducted Beethoven Ninth from the
> 1960s on the Canadian bootleg label Maximas. I haven't heard it, but I
> do have the Maximas CD of Heger's excellent live Bruckner Fourth with
> the "Berlin Festival Orchestra" (a. k. a Berlin Philharmonic).

The Bruckner appears to be available for download here:

http://www.abruckner.com/Downloads/downloadofthemonth/April08/

--
- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA

Rene Gagnaux

Dec 22, 2009, 1:53:18 AM12/22/09
On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 12:54:28 -0800 (PST), Paul Haebler
<phae...@gmail.com> wrote:

>1. Where it is possible to find its discography?

There is something like this at
http://stadien.tchost.de/stskonno/heger-dis.htm, but the presentation
is... special... Background pink, white writing, difficult to read ;-)

Salut
Ren�
--
Adresse � laquelle on peut toujours m'atteindre:
reneonnews<aroba>renegagnaux<point>ch

www.renegagnaux.ch

Dontait...@aol.com

Dec 22, 2009, 3:58:37 PM12/22/09

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for this information and your reply. I didn't know that there
was a live Heger-conducted Beethoven Ninth on the Canadian bootleg
label you cited, and after a quick reading of John Holmes's Heger
recordings listing I don't see it there either. So that's added
knowledge and I stand corrected.

I have to modify my comments further about there apparently being no
recorded Beethoven conducted by Heger, too. Looking upon my shelves I
just found Mercury MG 10055 (mono LP), which contains Beethoven's
Namensfeier Overture and the "Jena" Symphony, the piece concocted by
someone named Witt and passed off for years as Beethoven juvenilia.
Robert Heger conducting the Munich Philharmonic Orchestra. (The rest
of the record contains Beethoven's Consecration of the House Overture
with the Bamberg Symphony Orchestra conducted by Gotthold Epraim
Lessing.)Mercury's MG 10000 series is a treasure trove of interesting
German radio tapes of this sort. Another of them involving Heger is

Mercury MG 10075 Schubert: Symphony no. 9, in C -- Bamberg
Symphony Orchestra/Robert Heger.

I haven't played the last in many years and don't remember much
about it. Thanks again.

Don Tait

Jeff

Dec 22, 2009, 5:20:38 PM12/22/09
>   Don Tait- Hide quoted text -

Hi Don,

I also still have that ancient Mercury LP. Lessing apparently was a
pseudonym for Rosbaud. That SAME performance has appeared on a
Grammofono CD (with added reverb!) titled "Hans Rosbaud in Berlin
1940." As for Heger's Jena, I've always preferred the rival version by
Werner Janssen that was once on a Camden LP (coupled with an utterly
colorless Beethoven First by Ormandy). Heger also recorded three Haydn
Symphonies late in life with the Austrian Radio Symphony. Those
appeared on a stereo Point Classics CD.

Jeff

Bill Anderson

Dec 22, 2009, 9:46:18 PM12/22/09
On Dec 22, 4:20 pm, Jeff <jefflipsc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

" I've always preferred the rival version by Werner Janssen that was
once on a Camden LP"

Hi Jeff -

If you are interested, I transferred the Witt 'Jena' with Janssen -
from a very clean set of 78's. It can be downloaded here, and includes
the first recording of Barber's School for Scandal overture, also
conducted by Janssen :

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jltyyw2nizj

- Bill

Jeff