Edin Karamazov

RT

Jan 24, 2008, 1:28:52 PM1/24/08

David Raleigh Arnold

Jan 24, 2008, 2:01:19 PM1/24/08

That is one of the few renaissance lute pieces that IMO sounds much
better played on a guitar. Unlike most pieces of that class it doesn't
have the fiery work on the first string that was usually featured which
sounds too sweet on guitar. Instead the busy parts are on inside strings
so they profit from the better clarity and balance of the guitar. IMO.
IAC it's a wonderful piece whatever the instrument. daveA

--
Playing "as written" is paying attention, not being a fanatic.
email: darn...@cox.net (put "poisonal" anywhere in subject)

lut...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2008, 2:46:33 PM1/24/08
On 24 jan, 20:01, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:

> That is one of the few renaissance lute pieces that IMO sounds much
> better played on a guitar.

Yes, played like this, it is easyer to play better on the guitar...
Listen to Paul O'Dette version...
Edin is doing "n'importe quoi" (make your own translation...) because
of the caution of Sting.... and making a lot of money with (well good
for him to take...) But for me he is not an example of lute playing
(even if he have some skills)
In fact I do prefer Rolf Lislevand transgressions...
Perhaps Edin should work some of your scales DRA ?
;-)
(don't take me serious as I'm not...)
Val

David Raleigh Arnold

Jan 24, 2008, 5:16:23 PM1/24/08
On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 11:46:33 -0800, luthval wrote:

> On 24 jan, 20:01, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
>
>> That is one of the few renaissance lute pieces that IMO sounds much
>> better played on a guitar.
>
> Yes, played like this, it is easyer to play better on the guitar...

Not at all easier, harder actually, but better. I didn't mean to
comment on the performance at all. It speaks for itself. :-) daveA

Alain Reiher

Jan 24, 2008, 6:50:47 PM1/24/08

"RT" <vze2...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Remarquable! Exhibit a full comprehension of this fairly new medium
(Youtube), demonstrate a high conception of drama through an unorthodox
approach (finally) of the musical and decor content. The climax is extremely
well built and the last minor chord is brought to express clearly its somber
closing meaning.
Over all, one of the best archaic youtube production up to date.

Alain

Robert Crim

Jan 24, 2008, 7:21:13 PM1/24/08

In a short word........crap.

Robert

JorgeM

Jan 24, 2008, 8:26:30 PM1/24/08
In article <EN4mj.6008$Yl.3656@trnddc01>, "RT" <vze2...@verizon.net>
wrote:

Thanks for that link!

This is my favorite performance of this mysterious harmonically-way
-ahead-of-its-time piece. So expressive and the way Edin phrases
everything and brings out the structure, it's really great. I have Paul
O'Dette's recording of the FHF and it's technically very good,
perfectly phrased and clean sounding but positively sterile emotionally
compared to Karamzov's.

Also Karamazov has extra bass strings on his Baroque lute/Theorbo
(whatever instrument it is, anybody know?) that give the piece added
depth, resonance and dimension. O'Dette ends the piece on a final
picardy 3rd major chord while Karamazov keeps the minor chord and it's
much more effective and tragic.

This video excerpt comes from Sting's film about Dowland "The Journey
and The Labyrinth" that was shown on PBS in stunning HD, In fact I still
have it saved on my DVR because the picture and sound is of much higher
quality than the DVD they have at Netflix.

http://tinyurl.com/2cb7b8

This YouTube transfer doesn't do Karamazov justice,the sound is so
beautiful on the video, full and spacious with a beautiful natural
reverb from the space/room he recorded this piece in.

The whole film is a very classy production, informative and educational
as well. People knock Sting for doing this Dowland project but the truth
is I wish he would put this kind of money into more films about great
composers, they all deserve this kind of beautiful tribute.

I highly recommend Karamazov's recording "Come Heavy Sleep" which
features a stunning performance of Britten's Nocturnal on the lute (in
the last section the Passacaglia bass line is played in octaves with the
extra bass strings-very effective and of course when the song Come Heavy
Sleep comes in at the end it's much more authentic-sounding on the lute
than the guitar) and the entire Bach D minor Partita #2 with Chaconne on
the lute as well - gorgeous expressive playing, poetic lyrical phrasing
and beautifully recorded.

http://tinyurl.com/3atw54

Alain Reiher

Jan 24, 2008, 10:30:07 PM1/24/08

"JorgeM" <sgy...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Well said! I thought so too.
Thanks for the links.
I do not know why ... sometimes I have the feeling that people freely
criticize out of jealousy.

Alain

Dice...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2008, 10:50:25 PM1/24/08
On Jan 24, 7:30 pm, "Alain Reiher" <rei...@telus.net> wrote:
> "JorgeM" <sgy...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > In article <EN4mj.6008$Yl.3656@trnddc01>, "RT" <vze25...@verizon.net>

Alain,

They're only ever happy when they're the ones on stage. Luteman and
David Arnold are mindnumbingly dumb.

David

Jez

Jan 24, 2008, 10:54:40 PM1/24/08

<Dice...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Typical fucking roadies.

Jez

Jan 24, 2008, 10:55:50 PM1/24/08

"Jez" <iced_...@nodamnspamdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message

> <Dice...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Jan 24, 7:30 pm, "Alain Reiher" <rei...@telus.net> wrote:
>>> "JorgeM" <sgy...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Well said! I thought so too.
>>> Thanks for the links.
>>> I do not know why ... sometimes I have the feeling that people freely
>>> criticize out of jealousy.
>>>
>>> Alain
>>
>> Alain,
>>
>> They're only ever happy when they're the ones on stage.
>
> Typical fucking roadies.

shit...my sig didn't work.

--
Jez, MBA., Country Dancing and Advanced Astrology, UBS.
'Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.'-Zappa

Guitarwhisperer

Jan 24, 2008, 11:31:40 PM1/24/08
On Jan 24, 5:21 pm, Robert Crim <fritzg...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 18:28:52 GMT, "RT" <vze25...@verizon.net> wrote:
> >http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWvfnGpF-Y
>
> >'nuf said.
> >RT
>
> In a short word........crap.
>
> Robert

I agree total crap..... I'm going to write Sting and offer him my
services.
MT

Jez

Jan 25, 2008, 12:39:02 AM1/25/08

"Guitarwhisperer" <michae...@starband.net> wrote in message

On Jan 24, 5:21 pm, Robert Crim <fritzg...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 18:28:52 GMT, "RT" <vze25...@verizon.net> wrote:
> >http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWvfnGpF-Y
>
> >'nuf said.
> >RT
>
> In a short word........crap.
>
> Robert

**I agree total crap..... I'm going to write Sting and offer him my
**services.
**MT

Don't write from the Himalayas...he'll only try to teach you Tantric sex.

Alain Reiher

Jan 25, 2008, 1:15:15 AM1/25/08

"Guitarwhisperer" <michae...@starband.net> wrote in message

If he was playing on one of your Dresden guitar ... would you say the same
thing?
You have the Police look ... you'll have no problem replacing Andy summers!
have a good trip M. The Alchimiste! (Paulo Coelho)

www.paulocoelho.com/engl/index.html

http://bookreviews.nabou.com/reviews/thealchemist.html

Alain

Andrew Schulman

Jan 25, 2008, 1:36:49 AM1/25/08
On Jan 24, 8:26 pm, JorgeM <sgy...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> This is my favorite performance of this mysterious harmonically-way
> -ahead-of-its-time piece. So expressive and the way Edin phrases
> everything and brings out the structure, it's really great.

Aryeh,

I agree with you about this performance although my lute (and Dresden)
friends will now flame me for saying so. I don't have a lute players
perspective about this, maybe you don't either. But I do find it to
be a very expressive and clear performance. Nice candles too.

I met Sting a few years ago, my group played at a wedding for a friend
of his; we played Bach, Mozart, and Sting (Fields of Gold/Every Breath
You Take) among others. We spoke to him for a while, before and after
we played, and all of us felt he was a genuine person, not a phony
celebrity, and that he really loved music; not all professional
musicians let alone celebrity musicians do.

Andrew

Guitarwhisperer

Jan 25, 2008, 2:19:03 AM1/25/08
On Jan 24, 10:39 pm, "Jez" <iced_sp...@nodamnspamdsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> "Guitarwhisperer" <michaeltha...@starband.net> wrote in message

> On Jan 24, 5:21 pm, Robert Crim <fritzg...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 18:28:52 GMT, "RT" <vze25...@verizon.net> wrote:
> > >http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWvfnGpF-Y
>
> > >'nuf said.
> > >RT
>
> > In a short word........crap.
>
> > Robert
>
> **I agree total crap..... I'm going to write Sting and offer him my
> **services.
> **MT
>
> Don't write from the Himalayas...he'll only try to teach you Tantric sex.

I'll go for Trudy.....
MT

Guitarwhisperer

Jan 25, 2008, 2:19:38 AM1/25/08
On Jan 24, 11:15 pm, "Alain Reiher" <rei...@telus.net> wrote:

Guitarwhisperer

Jan 25, 2008, 2:34:40 AM1/25/08
On Jan 24, 11:15 pm, "Alain Reiher" <rei...@telus.net> wrote:
> "Guitarwhisperer" <michaeltha...@starband.net> wrote in message

> On Jan 24, 5:21 pm, Robert Crim <fritzg...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 18:28:52 GMT, "RT" <vze25...@verizon.net> wrote:
> > >http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWvfnGpF-Y
>
> > >'nuf said.
> > >RT
>
> > In a short word........crap.
>
> > Robert
>
> I agree total crap..... I'm going to write Sting and offer him my
> services.
> MT
>
> If he was playing on one of your Dresden guitar ... would you say the same
> thing?

Probably not! But really, the bass line which is so central to the
piece was so unclear, wouldn't you say? Once you hear O'Dette play
it, nothing else will do.

> You have the Police look ... you'll have no problem replacing Andy summers!
> have a good trip M. The Alchimiste! (Paulo Coelho)

And I used to play the drums in " ALOTA " bands too.

My wife and I have a long standing prenuptial agreement. The only
other man she can sleep with is Sting, and for me it's Lucinda
Williams..... there is something about those trashy southern women I
find irresistible!

Thanks for the good wishes for my trip..... be on the look out for a
postcard to the barnyard from somewhere over there, I'm bring my
laptop and video camera. Maybe a few Indian guitarists?

MT

> www.paulocoelho.com/engl/index.html
>
> http://bookreviews.nabou.com/reviews/thealchemist.html
>
> Alain

Andrew Schulman

Jan 25, 2008, 11:31:30 AM1/25/08
On Jan 25, 2:19 am, Guitarwhisperer <michaeltha...@starband.net>
wrote:

>    I'll go for Trudy.....

Good idea, she's a babe.

Andresito

Robert Crim

Jan 25, 2008, 12:25:09 PM1/25/08
On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 22:36:49 -0800 (PST), Andrew Schulman
<abac...@panix.com> wrote:

>I agree with you about this performance although my lute (and Dresden)
>friends will now flame me for saying so. I don't have a lute players
>perspective about this, maybe you don't either. But I do find it to
>be a very expressive and clear performance. Nice candles too.

No "flames" from me. Go to
http://play.rhapsody.com/nigelnorth/dowlandlutemusicvol1/7fantasiesno2forlornhopefancyp2
and listen to Nigel North play it. If you still like Karamazov's
better.......................

Robert

RT

Jan 25, 2008, 12:44:59 PM1/25/08
I don't think yoú'll get past his secretary.
RT

RT

Jan 25, 2008, 12:48:17 PM1/25/08
THis one lute-player's perspective is that Edin is PHENOMENAL.
It is not an uncommon perspective either.
RT

"Andrew Schulman" <abac...@panix.com> wrote in message

Andrew Schulman

Jan 25, 2008, 3:06:07 PM1/25/08
On Jan 25, 12:25 pm, Robert Crim <fritzg...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> No "flames" from me.  Go tohttp://play.rhapsody.com/nigelnorth/dowlandlutemusicvol1/7fantasiesno...

> and listen to Nigel North play it.  If you still like Karamazov's
> better.......................

Just listened to both with the score.

I think these are 2 excellent players with very different approaches.
I like some things better in each. I prefer Karamazov's steady pulse,
didn't like North's unsteady rhythm, especially in the beginning, but
in other places as well.

In some ways I liked North's sound a little more, more subtle and
graceful, but that's always a tough call with internet recordings,
tough if not actually impossible.

But generally I found Karamazov to pull me into the piece more. And I
found the sound he got in m.'s 17-22, the very nasal tone, to quite
interesting and enjoyable.

BTW, Aryeh mentions that he prefers the minor chord ending by
Karamazov; I don't, and the score does have the picardy third, i.e., a
major chord ending which is how North plays it.

Andrew

Robert Crim

Jan 25, 2008, 3:52:49 PM1/25/08

Interesting take on it. I have always considered the trick to playing
Dowland's fantasies is to bring out the melody lines without letting
the chord structure cloud them up. North does that in this one by
rolling those chords to pull out the note. That sometimes causes the
pulse become unsteady.

Karamazov plays this one as if it were a set of chords connected by
single lines (not very cleanly played, IMO). I can't find the melody
line at all. I had the same problem with the Sting stuff he did as
well.

Technically, I found Karamazov's sound to be raspy and thin where it
should have been rich and full. In some places the lute could barely
be heard.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. I won't be tossing
out my copies of North or O'Dette though.

I appreciate your taking the time to do an evaluation. It is helpful
to have another view.

Robert
PS: it is not considered kosher to mess with Dowland's notes. All of
his minor fantasies end on major chords.

Andrew Schulman

Feb 8, 2008, 2:51:26 PM2/8/08
On Jan 25, 3:52 pm, Robert Crim <fritzg...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.  I won't be tossing
> out my copies of North or O'Dette though.

Just got O'Dette's "Dowland Vol. 3" and listened to his version. I
like it the best of the 3.

Andrew

Robert Crim

Feb 8, 2008, 7:10:04 PM2/8/08

Why?

Robert

Alain Reiher

Feb 8, 2008, 7:59:39 PM2/8/08

"Robert Crim" <frit...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Now, that is a good question.

Alain

Andrew Schulman

Feb 9, 2008, 1:55:47 AM2/9/08
On Feb 8, 7:10 pm, Robert Crim <fritzg...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >Just got O'Dette's "Dowland Vol. 3" and listened to his version.  I
> >like it the best of the 3.
>
> >Andrew
>
> Why?

Why not!

Just kidding. There are several reasons why I prefer O'Dette. The
first is - and this brings something in from another thread - I can
relax when I listen to him in a way I can't with the other two.

What do I mean by relax in this context? First and foremost, his
sense of rhythm. There is a driving sense to Karamazov's playing that
I don't feel suits the piece as well. It is after all music
expressing Forlorne Hope. But North goes too much the other way; I
get a little anxious listening to his version because there is no
steady pulse when needed, in the opening for instance where I feel
lost instead of feeling that I am in the beginning of a journey.

I think O'Dette gets this aspect just right. It is a Fancy, or
Fantasy if you will, not a dance, but from the start he is clear about
where he is and where he's going. So, someone is in the driver's seat
taking me on a trip in a way that enables me to relax and follow his
lead.

Then there is the question you brought up about the melody/harmony
aspect. O'Dette rolls the chords when appropriate in the right way,
the top note lands on the beat. So he brings out the melody but keeps
the rhythmic flow moving forward in a clear manner.

There is also a greater logic, or what I'd call musicality to the
phrasing in general, a clear "hierarchy of notes" with O'Dette. A
great aspect of interpretation is when there is an inevitability to
the phrase structure and for me he has that.

I do like his sound more, nicely rounded, but it is always hard to
make that judgement from mp3's and videos.

Finally, just a point that I don't recall whether anyone has mentioned
and it is nearly 2AM so I am NOT looking it up - Karamazov has
transposed the piece to Eb minor, the other two play it in Gm, the
original key (and as mentioned before, they end on the major chord as
written, Karamazov ends with an Eb minor, bad boy, but after all he's
Sting's player). Sounds good in Eb minor! Of course depending on how
big the lute was and how it was strung and probably several other
factors, Dowland may have played it lower than G minor too.

Anyway, just a few thoughts, and glad you asked as I listened to all 3
versions a bit more and I must say I respect all 3 of these musicians,
maybe I'll listen some more and change my mind all over again.

Andrew

Alain Reiher

Feb 9, 2008, 10:50:23 AM2/9/08

"Andrew Schulman" <abac...@panix.com> wrote in message

Andrew

Now, that's an excellent answer.
[;o)

Alain

Andrew Schulman

Feb 9, 2008, 12:33:25 PM2/9/08
On Feb 9, 10:50 am, "Alain Reiher" <rei...@telus.net> wrote:
> Now, that's an excellent answer.
> [;o)

Merci beaucoup!

Andrew

Robert Crim

Feb 9, 2008, 3:20:49 PM2/9/08
On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 15:50:23 GMT, "Alain Reiher" <rei...@telus.net>
wrote:

>Now, that's an excellent answer.

Excellent indeed. I know I can count on Andrew for some keen insight.
I kind of like to hear a good non-lute player's opinions.

I still prefer Nigel's "tension" though.

Robert

Andrew Schulman

Feb 9, 2008, 3:51:31 PM2/9/08
On Feb 9, 3:20 pm, Robert Crim <fritzg...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I still prefer Nigel's "tension" though.

I would say it's the most elegant sound of the three. These are smart
guys, they know what they are doing. I would assume North's response
to the fact it's a Fantasy was to keep the rhythm free, and no one
knows whether Dowland heard it that way or not.

Andrew

Alain Reiher

Feb 9, 2008, 7:57:07 PM2/9/08

"Robert Crim" <frit...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

I have not heard the Gelni and the Dette'O version ... but I am sure that if
I were to have the opportunity (and it might come one day, but to late to
continue threading in this post) I am sure that I would change my opinion.
Especially after hearing Vozamraka' version of Bach's flute sonata on the
arch top electric ... not very impressive

Alain

Robert Crim

Feb 9, 2008, 9:10:39 PM2/9/08

I think you nailed it without knowing it. Of the three, Nigel would
be considered the most elegant. O'Dette is the most basic and Edin K.
is just.....weird. All IMHO, of course.

I enjoy Nigel's version because I don't always know what is coming
next and when. O'Dette's is too predictable 'cause I know what is
next before we get there. Edin K.? I have no idea where he is going
or why.

Robert

Andrew Schulman

Feb 10, 2008, 12:02:48 AM2/10/08
On Feb 9, 9:10 pm, Robert Crim <fritzg...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I think you nailed it without knowing it.  Of the three, Nigel would
> be considered the most elegant.  O'Dette is the most basic and Edin K.
> is just.....weird.  All IMHO, of course.

The 3 players can be listened to as examples of what is sometimes
called "willful" as opposed to "natural".

O'Dette is a "natural" player. Karamazov and North are "willful"
although very different types.

In their heyday Segovia was considered "willful", the pianist Arthur
Rubenstein was considered "natural".

So, good choices for people to listen to to get a sense of very
different styles.

Andrew

Robert Crim

Feb 10, 2008, 8:42:04 PM2/10/08
On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 21:02:48 -0800 (PST), Andrew Schulman
<abac...@panix.com> wrote:

>The 3 players can be listened to as examples of what is sometimes
>called "willful" as opposed to "natural".
>
>O'Dette is a "natural" player. Karamazov and North are "willful"
>although very different types.

I'm assuming the terms "willful" and "natural" have to do with how the
player approaches the music. A willful player would try to make the
music say what he/she wants it to say where a natural player would
just let the music say what it will without a lot of extra forcing.

Am I right?

If so, I must confess to also being a willful player, and I know Nigel
is also. I have often tried, sometimes well, sometime not, to push
the music to sound the way "I" wanted it to sound. Weiss is a
particular example. If you just let that music go without some
pushing, it can get pretty dull, IMO........a lot like bad Bach.

Thanks for a nice response.

Robert
PS: which are you?

Andrew Schulman

Feb 10, 2008, 9:23:56 PM2/10/08
On Feb 10, 8:42 pm, Robert Crim <fritzg...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I'm assuming the terms "willful" and "natural" have to do with how the
> player approaches the music.  A willful player would try to make the
> music say what he/she wants it to say where a natural player would
> just let the music say what it will without a lot of extra forcing.
>
> Am I right?

Yes, that is how the terms are used; I'd add that the natural player
doesn't want any "forcing". Doesn't mean a lot of dynamics and
details aren't there, just means that the inherent aspects are brought
out, whereas the willful player superimposes.

> If so, I must confess to also being a willful player, and I know Nigel
> is also.  I have often tried, sometimes well, sometime not, to push
> the music to sound the way "I" wanted it to sound.

There are great players from both types.

>  Weiss is a particular example.  If you just let that music go without some
> pushing, it can get pretty dull, IMO........a lot like bad Bach.

This gets pretty tricky as to the willful vs. natural, certainly
worthy of a RMCG thread that could go into the hundreds. But I'd say
neither willful or natural will be dull if the music is very good and
the player has the chops as well as a deep understanding of what is
going on in the piece.

> Thanks for a nice response.

But ef coors...

> PS:  which are you?

Naturally willful, but occasionally willfully natural.

I think of myself fitting into the "natural" category, but have been
told sometimes I'm "willful". Like I said, tricky subject and of
course totally subjective. Again, the classic examples as described
to me by my old professors back in college was that Segovia was
"willful", Rubinstein was "natural".

Point being made was that personal temperament yielded different
styles but both could be great.

Andrew

Magicon Inc.

Feb 11, 2008, 9:15:25 AM2/11/08
in article d588af79-64c6-418d...@l1g2000hsa.googlegroups.com,
Andrew Schulman at abac...@panix.com wrote on 2/10/08 7:23 PM:

>> A willful player would try to make the
>> music say what he/she wants it to say where a natural player would
>> just let the music say what it will without a lot of extra forcing.
>>
>> Am I right?

> Yes, that is how the terms are used;

So the ultimate willful player would be Segovia, then?

Paul Magnussen

Andrew Schulman

Feb 11, 2008, 12:07:17 PM2/11/08
On Feb 11, 9:15 am, "Magicon Inc." <magicon...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> So the ultimate willful player would be Segovia, then?

Here is what I wrote, "In their heyday Segovia was considered

"willful", the pianist Arthur
Rubenstein was considered "natural"."

What I wrote doesn't make any statement about "ultimate". Do you
think Segovia was the ultimate "willful" player?

Andrew