"Sinatra Duets" TV specia

Martin Schildkret

Nov 27, 1994, 12:17:00 AM11/27/94
Subject: "Sinatra Duets" TV specia

>łTo me, Frank Sinatra was the greatest interpreter of songs who
łever lived. I don't need fawning endorsements from Bono, Jon
łSecada, and others enjoying their 15 minutes of fame to confirm
łthat. Now that Mr. Sinatra has reached the December of his
łyears, it's time for him to retire and let us continue to
łappreciate his artistry through his fabulous records and TV
łspecials.

Very well said Leo! Having listened to man for about 40 years and
having a ton of his releases. It is indeed an embarrassing thing to see
him make a fool of himself in IMHO. Give me back the Capitol Years!...

Steve Albin

Nov 27, 1994, 9:06:35 PM11/27/94
In article <5f.12109.2...@runningb.com>,
martin.s...@runningb.com (Martin Schildkret) wrote:

> To me, Frank Sinatra was the greatest interpreter of songs who ever
> lived. I don't need fawning endorsements from Bono, Jon Secada, and
> others enjoying their 15 minutes of fame to confirm that. Now that Mr.
> Sinatra has reached the December of his years, it's time for him to
> retire and let us continue to appreciate his artistry through his
> fabulous records and TV specials.
>

> Subject: "Sinatra Duets" TV specia
>

> Very well said Leo! Having listened to man for about 40 years and having
> a ton of his releases. It is indeed an embarrassing thing to see him make
> a fool of himself in IMHO. Give me back the Capitol Years!...

Oh yes, and give me back the fifties too. How nice to go back in time!

Too bad, but time marches on and Sinatra is 79. This is what we have.
He has given me so much pleasure over the years and he continues to do
so. One reason is that I am not expecting him to sing today like he did
on the Wee Small Hours album.

I listen to Sinatra the way I used to go to Yankee Stadium in '68 and
watch Mickey Mantle in his last year as a player. Occasionally he would
hit a home run, but more often it would be a fly out. I was ecstatic
from the home runs but I didn't curse the fly outs. Sinatra still hits
a few home runs and the rest of the stuff is mediocre to bad, but bad in
only the way Sinatra can do it. (Wow, am I seeing the glass half full :)

I've seen Sinatra live twice in the past few years. I would have loved
to be able to have seen him in his prime but it wasn't meant to be. I
am happy for what I have.

As far as todays stars "fawning" over Sinatra - well what the hell else
should they do? I am glad they are doing it. It keeps Sinatra current.
We expect the old timers to rave about him. When the MTV generation
does it, we should be glad they can recognize quality.

I hope we get more of Frank on tv. I also hope he does another solo
album before he calls it a career, again. :)

I'm glad for Frank Sinatra. If he is enjoying himself singing, and I
think he is, then I hope he continues. He'd be making a fool of himself
if he didn't. To bad we all can't live to 79 and enjoy what we are
doing.

Steve Albin
ste...@ritz.mordor.com

--