Most annoying classic rock song ever

Raja, The Great

Oct 13, 2010, 10:04:33 AM10/13/10
America - A Horse With No Name

Who agrees?

Eric Ramon

Oct 13, 2010, 10:19:48 AM10/13/10
On Oct 13, 7:04 am, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> America - A Horse With No Name
>
> Who agrees?

I'd say "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin

iarwain

Oct 13, 2010, 10:41:59 AM10/13/10
I remember reading in Shakey, the Neil Young biography, that Young
thought that A Horse With No Name was a direct ripoff of his style,
specifically Heart of Gold. I guess he thought he was the only one
who was allowed to strum an Am on an acoustic guitar at the time.
Personally, I like the song. Not their best, but it's all right.

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I've always found Wild
Thing by the Troggs incredibly annoying. I'm sure there are worse, I
just can't think of one off the top of my head right now.

richforman

Oct 13, 2010, 11:03:36 AM10/13/10
On Oct 13, 10:04 am, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> America - A Horse With No Name
>
> Who agrees?

Not even remotely close.

richforman

Raja, The Great

Oct 13, 2010, 11:35:35 AM10/13/10

Piss off.

Raja, The Great

Oct 13, 2010, 11:36:19 AM10/13/10

Wow... there is no accounting for taste. Wild Thing is one song I
incredibly like... a garage classic!

Ray

Oct 13, 2010, 11:36:37 AM10/13/10

Can't be worse than the white-boy-tries to play reggae tripe of "dyer-
maker".

marcus

Oct 13, 2010, 11:38:11 AM10/13/10
On Oct 13, 10:04 am, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> America - A Horse With No Name
>
> Who agrees?

"American Pie" is the worse IMHO.

Raja, The Great

Oct 13, 2010, 11:38:33 AM10/13/10

That wasnt true reggae anyway. The Zeps were just having some fun. Too
bad you have no sense of humour. The Police were black, I guess?

Raja, The Great

Oct 13, 2010, 11:39:02 AM10/13/10

Oh yeah... that one sucks incredibly.

Ray

Oct 13, 2010, 11:51:12 AM10/13/10
On Oct 13, 10:04 am, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> America - A Horse With No Name
>
> Who agrees?

I have always found the lyric content of America's songs to be
wretched. (Ventura Highway is worse IMHO: Alligator Lizards in the
air? Never should have taken all that acid boys.) But anyone can be
annoyed by a band they hate. The more interesting question is: What
are the most annoying songs by bands you otherwise enjoy?

Like this:

Emerson Lake and Palmer : Toccata - The main reason drum synths took a
long time to catch on. Grotesque ugliness.

Genesis: More Fool Me - Phil Collins foreshadows just how bad this
band was going to get once the main talent split.

George Harrison - Ding Dong Ding Dong - I don't even know where to
start with this one, jeebus.

The Who - Pretty much everything after "Who Are You" (and half of
that).

R.E.M. - no songs in particular, but Mikey Stipe, what a douche.

Ray

Oct 13, 2010, 11:55:14 AM10/13/10

Funny story about American Pie and Don Mclean. A young comdey folk
singer named Any Breckman (later went to writing for TV, most notably,
Monk) was hired to open for him on a tour. After weeks of not being
spoken to, getting shitty sound, and just general abuse at the hands
of the headliner, he closed his set one night with American Pie. He
told DM that he figured he must be tired of singint it after so long.

He lost his job, but I think he made his point.

Jeff

Oct 13, 2010, 12:03:11 PM10/13/10
On Oct 13, 9:04 am, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> America - A Horse With No Name
>
> Who agrees?

The song was called "Victim of Love"? (sp?)
The guy died a few years back. The song
made me wanna puke.

Donna

Oct 13, 2010, 12:04:34 PM10/13/10
marcus wrote:

> On Oct 13, 10:04 am, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > America - A Horse With No Name
> >
> > Who agrees?

I don't. I like that song a lot.

> "American Pie" is the worse IMHO.

Oh, I agree 100%, Marcus. The second I hear it on the radio, I change
the station. It's one of the few songs that I truly dislike.

rwalker

Oct 13, 2010, 12:36:16 PM10/13/10

Stairway to Heaven. I like Zeppelin, but can't stand this one.

rwalker

Oct 13, 2010, 12:36:54 PM10/13/10
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 12:04:34 -0400, Donna <tom....@ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

That's how I feel about Stairway to Heaven.

Ray

Oct 13, 2010, 1:43:11 PM10/13/10

The police had possibly the most skilled drummer in the history of
rock and / or roll. They could pretty much play anything.

richforman

Oct 13, 2010, 1:48:23 PM10/13/10

There was an Eagles song and also, I'm pretty sure, an Elton John
song, by that name but you must be referring to another one. I like
the "different-songs-same-name" game, especially when you can find a
"triple" like this one apparently is - I can think of two other
triples - "Do It Again" (Beach Boys, Steely Dan, Kinks), and "Girls
Girls Girls" (I think there's an Elvis Presley song by that name? -
and of course there's one by I guess it's Def Leppard? or one of those
big 80's hair bands; and another one by one of my favorite artists,
Marshall Crenshaw).

richforman

rwalker

Oct 13, 2010, 2:06:30 PM10/13/10
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 10:48:23 -0700 (PDT), richforman
<rfor...@msn.com> wrote:

>There was an Eagles song and also, I'm pretty sure, an Elton John
>song, by that name but you must be referring to another one. I like
>the "different-songs-same-name" game, especially when you can find a
>"triple" like this one apparently is - I can think of two other
>triples - "Do It Again" (Beach Boys, Steely Dan, Kinks), and "Girls
>Girls Girls" (I think there's an Elvis Presley song by that name? -
>and of course there's one by I guess it's Def Leppard? or one of those
>big 80's hair bands; and another one by one of my favorite artists,
>Marshall Crenshaw).
>
>richforman

If I'm recalling correctly, there are two "Hold Me Tight"s, at least:

Beatles
McCartney.

And two "Love Me Do"s:

Beatles
Badfinger.

Kind of incestuous.

moonpie

Oct 13, 2010, 2:17:44 PM10/13/10
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 10:43:11 -0700 (PDT), Ray <6sicks...@gmail.com>
wrote:

That wasnt remotely an attempt at reggae. If anything, it was a
throwback to the 50s. There were a couple of old tunes that used a
very similar staccato guitar line like that, but, I cant remember what
they were.

EltonJohn had an old song Crocodile rock, itself a throwback to the
50s, where guitarist Davey Johnson used a very similar staccato
technique.

iarwain

Oct 13, 2010, 2:40:07 PM10/13/10
>Wild Thing is one song I incredibly like... a garage classic!

More like garbage classic.

The only Led Zeppelin song I don't like is Black Country Woman.

Phred

Oct 13, 2010, 2:53:58 PM10/13/10
On Oct 13, 10:04 am, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> America - A Horse With No Name
>
> Who agrees?

===========

What an idiot. HORSE WITH NO NAME a rock song?

Look, kid. You should go out in the fresh air at recess instead a
farting around on RMB from the computer lab.

WeReo_BoY

Oct 13, 2010, 2:53:53 PM10/13/10
"Raja, The Great" <zepf...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> America - A Horse With No Name
>
> Who agrees?

Excuse me, Raja, The Great, but what the fuck is a classic rock song?

Only fools discuss this subject, and I see a lot of fools posting to this
thread. Beginning with you.

Raja, The Great

Oct 13, 2010, 2:57:59 PM10/13/10
> rock and / or roll. They could pretty much play anything.- Hide quoted text -

Not more skilled than Bonham, Moon, Bruford, Peart etc. The Police
could play pop/rock+reggae thats about it. They were one the most one-
dimensional band to become that popular. I still like them.

Raja, The Great

Oct 13, 2010, 2:59:48 PM10/13/10

I like that too. I do not like Walters Walk and Ozone Baby from Coda.
Those are probably the only 2 of the 84 songs they made, that I don't
like.

Raja, The Great

Oct 13, 2010, 3:00:19 PM10/13/10
On Oct 13, 1:53 pm, Phred <appeyr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Oct 13, 10:04 am, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > America - A Horse With No Name
>
> > Who agrees?
>
> ===========
>
> What an idiot.  HORSE WITH NO NAME a rock song?

Then why is it played on classic rock radio?

Jeff

Oct 13, 2010, 3:08:31 PM10/13/10

All their early stuff..."going to make you sweat
going to make you groove". Puke. I wanted to
puke first time I ever heard it. The song is
about sweaty armpits. :-)

Jeff

Oct 13, 2010, 3:09:18 PM10/13/10

It's is awful. Sounds dated.

Jeff

Oct 13, 2010, 3:11:41 PM10/13/10
On Oct 13, 10:38 am, marcus <marcus...@yahoo.com> wrote:

It's just better than an average song, IMO,
with too many lyrics. It goes on for too
long.

Jeff

Oct 13, 2010, 3:12:49 PM10/13/10
On Oct 13, 10:51 am, Ray <6sickstri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 13, 10:04 am, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > America - A Horse With No Name
>
> > Who agrees?
>
> I have always found the lyric content of America's songs to be
> wretched. (Ventura Highway is worse IMHO: Alligator Lizards in the
> air? Never should have taken all that acid boys.) But anyone can be
> annoyed by a band they hate. The more interesting question is: What
> are the most annoying songs by bands you otherwise enjoy?
>
> Like this:
>
> Emerson Lake and Palmer : Toccata - The main reason drum synths took a
> long time to catch on. Grotesque ugliness.
>
> Genesis: More Fool Me - Phil Collins foreshadows just how bad this
> band was going to get once the main talent split.
>
> George Harrison - Ding Dong Ding Dong - I don't even know where to
> start with this one, jeebus.

I love the horn section though.

Jeff

Oct 13, 2010, 3:14:05 PM10/13/10

I can't stand that group except for 2 songs.

Ray

Oct 13, 2010, 3:15:48 PM10/13/10
On Oct 13, 2:17 pm, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 10:43:11 -0700 (PDT), Ray <6sickstri...@gmail.com>

> wrote:

> >> That wasnt true reggae anyway. The Zeps were just having some fun. Too
> >> bad you have no sense of humour. The Police were black, I guess?
>
> >The police had possibly the most skilled drummer in the history of
> >rock and / or roll. They could pretty much play anything.
>
> That wasnt remotely an attempt at reggae. If anything, it was a
> throwback to the 50s. There were a couple of old tunes that used a
> very similar staccato guitar line like that, but, I cant remember what
> they were.
>
> EltonJohn had an old song Crocodile rock, itself a throwback to the
> 50s, where guitarist Davey Johnson used a very similar staccato
> technique.- Hide quoted text -

Well, they seemed to think it was, the title a bastardization of the
work Jamaica, but you knew that, right?

Ray

Oct 13, 2010, 3:16:08 PM10/13/10
> dimensional band to become that popular. I still like them.- Hide quoted text -

There you go flaunting your ignorance again. It's tiresome.

Jeff

Oct 13, 2010, 3:17:12 PM10/13/10

None of those. He had a corny video with a bunch of female singers
dancing with him. It was a very basic rock song.

Jeff

Oct 13, 2010, 3:20:21 PM10/13/10
On Oct 13, 1:40 pm, iarwain <iarwai...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Wild Thing is one song I incredibly like... a garage classic!
>
> More like garbage classic.

No offense to the gays here, but he sings like it.
"Wild Thing". Actually, my father came up with
that...and after thinking about, I agreed.

Jeff

Oct 13, 2010, 3:22:59 PM10/13/10
On Oct 13, 1:53 pm, "WeReo_BoY" <scottamer...@ixpres.com> wrote:
> "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:6d0eb0da-7767-4c71...@o34g2000vbl.googlegroups.com...

> > America - A Horse With No Name
>
> > Who agrees?
>
> Excuse me, Raja, The Great, but what the fuck is a classic rock song?

About what the rest of us discuss here except for you.

> Only fools discuss this subject, and I see a lot of fools posting to this
> thread. Beginning with you.

Beginning with the rest of us except for you. You're in the minority.

John_Sick_Of_It

Oct 13, 2010, 4:17:10 PM10/13/10
> dancing with him. It was a very basic rock song.- Hide quoted text -

I think you are thinking of Robert Palmer

John_Sick_Of_It

Oct 13, 2010, 4:18:49 PM10/13/10
> I think you are thinking of Robert Palmer- Hide quoted text -

oops Robert Palmer did addicted to love, sorry

richforman

Oct 13, 2010, 4:19:30 PM10/13/10
On Oct 13, 2:06 pm, rwalker <rwal...@despammed.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 10:48:23 -0700 (PDT), richforman
>
> <rforma...@msn.com> wrote:
> >There was an Eagles song and also, I'm pretty sure, an Elton John
> >song, by that name but you must be referring to another one.  I like
> >the "different-songs-same-name" game, especially when you can find a
> >"triple" like this one apparently is - I can think of two other
> >triples - "Do It Again" (Beach Boys, Steely Dan, Kinks), and "Girls
> >Girls Girls" (I think there's an Elvis Presley song by that name? -
> >and of course there's one by I guess it's Def Leppard? or one of those
> >big 80's hair bands; and another one by one of my favorite artists,
> >Marshall Crenshaw).
>
> >richforman
>
> If I'm recalling correctly, there are two "Hold Me Tight"s, at least:
>
> Beatles
> McCartney.

Yes, that's a favorite "special-case" of mine, don't know too many
cases of two completely different songs, same title, from the same
writer.

> And two "Love Me Do"s:
>
> Beatles
> Badfinger.

I didn't know about that one. That seems like an odd choice for a
title to recycle! Anyway, the game is an easy one, there are millions
of songs in this category. (How about "Rock''n'Roll Fantasy," one by
the Kinks, one by Bad Company.)

Other song title games I've made up in my head (all can go on easily
for days). Songs with "double" titles like "Sugar Sugar," "Mony
Mony," "Monday Monday," Steppenwolf's "Sookie Sookie," etc. Or triple
titles, that's slightly more interesting and harder to come up with,
"Girls Girls Girls," Genesis' "Tonight Tonight Tonight," "Yummy Yummy
Yummy," think of any other ones? Rhyming titles, "Hanky Panky,"
"Helter Skelter," "Hocus Pocus," there you go. Titles have to fit the
category exactly with no additional intervening words or anything, so
"Bungle in the Jungle" doesn't count!

Raja if you are reading this, you are disqualified and not allowed to
play.

richforman

richforman

> Kind of incestuous.

Raja, The Great

Oct 13, 2010, 4:37:48 PM10/13/10

Yeah your posts are not really worth reading. I deserved to be
punished.

moonpie

Oct 13, 2010, 4:52:33 PM10/13/10
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 12:15:48 -0700 (PDT), Ray <6sicks...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Oct 13, 2:17�pm, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:

they never said it was reggae... and it sure as hell doesnt sound like
reggae to me

Jones, I heard your wife went on vacation

Yes thats right

Jamaica?

No, she went on her own accord

moonpie

Oct 13, 2010, 4:54:05 PM10/13/10

admit it.

you dont like anybody that has a guitar player who can play fast.

moonpie

Oct 13, 2010, 4:54:36 PM10/13/10

LOL! like 9/10s of the Beatles catalog DOESNT sound dated.

topaz

Oct 13, 2010, 5:05:05 PM10/13/10
On Oct 13, 10:04 am, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> America - A Horse With No Name
>
> Who agrees?

It is not a classic in my book but to me the song I disliked the most
which got alot of airplay at the time was "Leroy We Gotta Git You a
Woman".

rwalker

Oct 13, 2010, 5:23:35 PM10/13/10
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 13:19:30 -0700 (PDT), richforman
<rfor...@msn.com> wrote:

>On Oct 13, 2:06�pm, rwalker <rwal...@despammed.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 10:48:23 -0700 (PDT), richforman
>>
>> <rforma...@msn.com> wrote:
>> >There was an Eagles song and also, I'm pretty sure, an Elton John
>> >song, by that name but you must be referring to another one. �I like
>> >the "different-songs-same-name" game, especially when you can find a
>> >"triple" like this one apparently is - I can think of two other
>> >triples - "Do It Again" (Beach Boys, Steely Dan, Kinks), and "Girls
>> >Girls Girls" (I think there's an Elvis Presley song by that name? -
>> >and of course there's one by I guess it's Def Leppard? or one of those
>> >big 80's hair bands; and another one by one of my favorite artists,
>> >Marshall Crenshaw).
>>
>> >richforman
>>
>> If I'm recalling correctly, there are two "Hold Me Tight"s, at least:
>>
>> Beatles
>> McCartney.
>>

>Yes, that's a favorite "special-case" of mine, don't know too many
>cases of two completely different songs, same title, from the same
>writer.

I agree. I can't think of any other examples like that.

>> And two "Love Me Do"s:
>>
>> Beatles
>> Badfinger.
>
>I didn't know about that one. That seems like an odd choice for a
>title to recycle! Anyway, the game is an easy one, there are millions
>of songs in this category.

It was on Badfinger's "No Dice" album. Very strange considering that
they were on the Beatles' label, and were often accused of simply
being Beatles clones. Good album, none-the-less.

Raja, The Great

Oct 13, 2010, 5:54:46 PM10/13/10
> work Jamaica, but you knew that, right?- Hide quoted text -

Everyone knows that.

Raja, The Great

Oct 13, 2010, 5:55:54 PM10/13/10
On Oct 13, 3:54 pm, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 12:09:18 -0700 (PDT), Jeff
>
> <yourimageunre...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> Piss off.
>
> >It's is awful. Sounds dated.
>
> LOL! like 9/10s of the Beatles catalog DOESNT sound dated.

Whole Lotta Love is a heavy metal monster and hardly sounds dated.

WeReo_BoY

Oct 13, 2010, 6:50:09 PM10/13/10
"Jeff" <yourimag...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I am the only one who matters in music. For instance, I did the concert that
was bigger and better than Woodsotck, the 1974 California Jam. I got the
biggest write-up ever for that.

To me, the inventor? Just a mere bag of shells, my boy.

RichL

Oct 13, 2010, 7:22:00 PM10/13/10
"Raja, The Great" <zepf...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> America - A Horse With No Name
>
> Who agrees?

It's not a bad song melody and chord-progression-wise but the lyrics are, I
agree, horrific.
Like three college frat guys struggling mightily to be "hip".
My ex used to like it :-)

WeReo_BoY

Oct 13, 2010, 7:33:36 PM10/13/10
"topaz" <topaz...@gmail.com> wrote in message

And you ppl go for this shit ...

globular

Oct 13, 2010, 8:11:05 PM10/13/10
Raja, The Great wrote:
> America - A Horse With No Name
>
> Who agrees?

Definitely not. I have a soft spot for early 70s songs.
Dobbie Brothers, What A Fool Believes wins, not the early 70s for those
who have no memory of that time.

Jeff

Oct 13, 2010, 8:50:09 PM10/13/10

Yeah, that's the name of the artist and song.

Puke.

Jeff

Oct 13, 2010, 8:54:53 PM10/13/10
On Oct 13, 3:54 pm, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 12:08:31 -0700 (PDT), Jeff

Oh.

Jeff

Oct 13, 2010, 8:56:19 PM10/13/10
On Oct 13, 3:54 pm, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 12:09:18 -0700 (PDT), Jeff
>
> <yourimageunre...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> Piss off.
>
> >It's is awful. Sounds dated.
>
> LOL! like 9/10s of the Beatles catalog DOESNT sound dated.

depends on who you talk to.

Nil

Oct 13, 2010, 8:57:57 PM10/13/10
On 13 Oct 2010, "RichL" <rple...@yahoo.com> wrote in
rec.music.beatles:

> It's not a bad song melody and chord-progression-wise but the
> lyrics are, I agree, horrific.

They were probably overcome by the heat, 'cause it was so hot.

Jeff

Oct 13, 2010, 8:58:19 PM10/13/10
On Oct 13, 5:50 pm, "WeReo_BoY" <scottamer...@ixpres.com> wrote:
> "Jeff" <yourimageunre...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Next.

Jeff

Oct 13, 2010, 8:57:45 PM10/13/10

It does if you heard it when it was first released....40 years ago.

marcus

Oct 13, 2010, 9:16:13 PM10/13/10
On Oct 13, 12:04 pm, Donna <tom.r...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> marcus wrote:

> > On Oct 13, 10:04 am, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > America - A Horse With No Name
>
> > > Who agrees?
>
> I don't.  I like that song a lot.
>
> > "American Pie"  is the worse IMHO.
>
> Oh, I agree 100%, Marcus.  The second I hear it on the radio, I change
> the station.  It's one of the few songs that I truly dislike.

I have the same reaction...and it all stems from the hype and
overplaying of it during the Fall of 1971 when it first came out.
Radio stations played it once or twice an hour, and had their own
deejays probe the lyrics for its "deep" content and "what it really
means".

Tripe.

marcus

Oct 13, 2010, 9:17:10 PM10/13/10
On Oct 13, 12:36 pm, rwalker <rwal...@despammed.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 08:03:36 -0700 (PDT), richforman

> <rforma...@msn.com> wrote:
> >On Oct 13, 10:04 am, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> America - A Horse With No Name
>
> >> Who agrees?
>
> >Not even remotely close.
>
> >richforman
>
> Stairway to Heaven.  I like Zeppelin, but can't stand this one.

Oddly enough, I only like it for the guitar break, but of all their
songs, that's the one I can see The Beatles doing, and doing it much
better.

marcus

Oct 13, 2010, 9:19:26 PM10/13/10
On Oct 13, 12:36 pm, rwalker <rwal...@despammed.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 12:04:34 -0400, Donna <tom.r...@ix.netcom.com>
> wrote:

> >marcus wrote:

> >I don't.  I like that song a lot.
>
> >> "American Pie"  is the worse IMHO.
>
> >Oh, I agree 100%, Marcus.  The second I hear it on the radio, I change
> >the station.  It's one of the few songs that I truly dislike.
>
> That's how I feel about Stairway to Heaven.

That song is used as the "poster song" for classic songs which have
been overplayed. Others that have been overplayed, but that I don't
necessarily dislike, "Light My Fire", all of the Steve Miller band
songs, and Boston's catalog.

marcus

Oct 13, 2010, 9:21:18 PM10/13/10
On Oct 13, 2:40 pm, iarwain <iarwai...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Wild Thing is one song I incredibly like... a garage classic!
>
> More like garbage classic.
>
> The only Led Zeppelin song I don't like is Black Country Woman.

When I was a teen in the Sixties, the ultimate garage band cover song
was "Gloria"...the Shadows Of Knight version, not the version by
Them. All the local bands played that one.

BibsBro

Oct 13, 2010, 9:50:59 PM10/13/10

"Raja, The Great" <zepf...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> America - A Horse With No Name
>
> Who agrees?

My nomination...

Starship - We Built this City

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH-UqB7uYiE

RichL

Oct 13, 2010, 10:00:31 PM10/13/10
"BibsBro" <Bib...@taxachusetts.com> wrote in message

I ain't clickin' on that piece of crap :-)

Jeff

Oct 13, 2010, 10:19:13 PM10/13/10

Yeah, when I was 15, we played that song quite often. It was easy
to learn and we all enjoyed it....then, but we never played any
songs at that time that were completed. Somebody would
stop playing in the middle of the song...and that was it.

Jeff

Oct 13, 2010, 10:24:18 PM10/13/10

My 80 year old father just loves "Light my Fire" (The Doors) and I
can't
stand it. Never could. That organ solo just drives me nuts.

Jeff

Oct 13, 2010, 10:33:26 PM10/13/10
On Oct 13, 9:04 am, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> America - A Horse With No Name
>
> Who agrees?

Best song by America: "Today's the Day". Some people
have never heard it.

rwalker

Oct 13, 2010, 10:54:36 PM10/13/10
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 21:50:59 -0400, "BibsBro"
<Bib...@taxachusetts.com> wrote:

>My nomination...
>
>Starship - We Built this City

Oh yes. That one's so bad that I had completely blocked it from my
memory.

Fattuchus

Oct 14, 2010, 2:02:04 AM10/14/10
On Oct 13, 10:04 am, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> America - A Horse With No Name
>
> Who agrees?

I do . . . . that has to be amongst the top 10 most annoying, at least.

WeReo_KilleR

Oct 14, 2010, 4:03:20 AM10/14/10
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 18:50:09 -0400, "WeReo_BoY"
<scotta...@ixpres.com> wrote:
> I am the only one who matters in music. For instance, I did the
concert that
> was bigger and better than Woodsotck, the 1974 California Jam. I
got the
> biggest write-up ever for that.

No you did NOT....post a link you lying delusion slob

Char1ie

Oct 14, 2010, 4:13:37 AM10/14/10
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 21:50:59 -0400, "BibsBro"
<Bib...@taxachusetts.com> wrote:

Lyrics by Bernie Taupin.

globular

Oct 14, 2010, 4:25:59 AM10/14/10

George Martin produced them at some point, maybe this song.

Jeff

Oct 14, 2010, 4:48:58 AM10/14/10

Yeah, he did a great job.

Jeff

Oct 14, 2010, 4:50:07 AM10/14/10

I've never liked it.

WeReo_BoY

Oct 14, 2010, 6:47:36 AM10/14/10
"Jeff" <yourimag...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

This is one hideous thread, worse than ANY "classic rock" song.

People grow up.

Ray

Oct 14, 2010, 8:09:01 AM10/14/10
> It does if you heard it when it was first released....40 years ago.- Hide quoted text -

Big time. I thought it was starting to wear thin by about '72.

Ray

Oct 14, 2010, 8:09:56 AM10/14/10
On Oct 13, 4:52 pm, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 12:15:48 -0700 (PDT), Ray <6sickstri...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >On Oct 13, 2:17 pm, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> That wasnt remotely an attempt at reggae. If anything, it was a
> >> throwback to the 50s. There were a couple of old tunes that used a
> >> very similar staccato guitar line like that, but, I cant remember what
> >> they were.
>
> >> EltonJohn had an old song Crocodile rock, itself a throwback to the
> >> 50s, where guitarist Davey Johnson used a very similar staccato
> >> technique.- Hide quoted text -

> >Well, they seemed to think it was, the title a bastardization of the
> >work Jamaica, but you knew that, right?
>
> they never said it was reggae... and it sure as hell doesnt sound like
> reggae to me
>
> Jones, I heard your wife went on vacation
>
> Yes thats right
>
> Jamaica?
>
> No, she went on her own accord- Hide quoted text -

It's all in the beat, it doesn't sound like reggae because they suck
at it. But they're trying. Just listen to the opening drum break, it's
as close as they get, right there.

Ray

Oct 14, 2010, 8:10:51 AM10/14/10

We liked Jumpin' Jack Flash the best.

mcnews

Oct 14, 2010, 8:30:20 AM10/14/10
On Oct 13, 10:04 am, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> America - A Horse With No Name
>
> Who agrees?

more than a feeling

iarwain

Oct 14, 2010, 9:20:39 AM10/14/10
That scene in "It Might Get Loud" where Jimmy Page plays the riff to
Whole Lotta Love in front of The Edge and Jack White is awesome.
Classic riff.

I don't mind American Pie, but I'll tell you a song that goes on
waaaaay too long, and that's Alice's Restaurant.
I think I would rather stab myself in the eye than listen to that
again.

Raja, The Great

Oct 14, 2010, 9:26:55 AM10/14/10
On Oct 13, 9:00 pm, "RichL" <rpleav...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "BibsBro" <Bibs...@taxachusetts.com> wrote in message

> > "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> America - A Horse With No Name
>
> >> Who agrees?
>
> > My nomination...
>
> > Starship - We Built this City
>
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH-UqB7uYiE
>
> I ain't clickin' on that piece of crap :-)

No one considers that a classic rock song... it is hardly rock to
begin with.

Raja, The Great

Oct 14, 2010, 9:27:24 AM10/14/10
On Oct 14, 1:02 am, Fattuchus <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Cool, someone agrees.

Raja, The Great

Oct 14, 2010, 9:28:47 AM10/14/10

Anyone who thinks Whole Lotta Love is date or annoying deserves to
have a boot or porcupine up his/her ass.

moonpie

Oct 14, 2010, 10:02:10 AM10/14/10
On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 05:09:56 -0700 (PDT), Ray <6sicks...@gmail.com>
wrote:

the beat doesnt sound like reggae at all to me either. the bass line
doesnt skip the one, it follows right along, and the guitar doesnt do
the upstroked chinkachinka part.

However, I'll grant you, maybe they were listening to some Bob Marley
and started goofing around and thats what they came up with. Whether
or not they were actually TRYING to do reggae, and they suck, and
couldnt do it, is debatable.

They didnt suck, in my opinion. I think they could have done an
accurate reggae tune if they wanted to. But thats debatable as well.

moonpie

Oct 14, 2010, 10:04:03 AM10/14/10
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 19:24:18 -0700 (PDT), Jeff
<yourimag...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Oct 13, 8:19锟絧m, marcus <marcus...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> On Oct 13, 12:36锟絧m, rwalker <rwal...@despammed.com> wrote:

>> > That's how I feel about Stairway to Heaven.
>>
>> That song is used as the "poster song" for classic songs which have

>> been overplayed. 锟絆thers that have been overplayed, but that I don't

>> necessarily dislike, "Light My Fire", all of the Steve Miller band
>> songs, and Boston's catalog.
>
>My 80 year old father just loves "Light my Fire" (The Doors) and I
>can't
>stand it. Never could. That organ solo just drives me nuts.

ok so now you dont like organ solos.

basically, you dont like any band where a gifted instrumentalist takes
any kind of extended solo, right?

or are there exceptions? Clapton in while my guitar weeps, because its
the beatles? How about Clapton in Cream?

just curious.... i find your set of likes and dislikes to be extremely
restrictive

iarwain

Oct 14, 2010, 10:22:39 AM10/14/10
> you dont like any band where a gifted instrumentalist takes any kind of extended solo, right?

But they're not SINGING!

JohnB

Oct 14, 2010, 11:33:52 AM10/14/10

I was playing a Zep compilation (Remasters) in the car yesterday.
Whole Lotta Love came on. I hit skip after about 2 minutes. Actually I
was hitting skip a fair bit until I got to Black Dog.

No, if you want really irritating, I'd nominate Cheap Trick's "I Want
You To Want Me" or Gnus'n'Roses "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" or Alex
Harvey's version of "School's Out" or the one mentioned earlier, "We
Built This City..."

Someone was talking about titles by more than one artist? Well, I
believe the most common title for a hit single is "Tonight".
In my collection, I have a song called "Bo Diddley" by Bo Diddley
(written by Bo Diddley). There can't be many examples of that sort of
thing...

moonpie

Oct 14, 2010, 11:55:53 AM10/14/10

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

moonpie

Oct 14, 2010, 11:56:57 AM10/14/10

Black Sabbath by Black sabbath on the Black Sabbath album written by
Black Sabbath

thats the only one I could come up with

iarwain

Oct 14, 2010, 12:38:49 PM10/14/10
> Black Sabbath by Black sabbath on the Black Sabbath album written by Black Sabbath

Bad Company.

Raja, The Great

Oct 14, 2010, 12:41:32 PM10/14/10
On Oct 14, 9:04 am, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 19:24:18 -0700 (PDT), Jeff
>

> <yourimageunre...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> That song is used as the "poster song" for classic songs which have
> >> been overplayed.  Others that have been overplayed, but that I don't

> >> necessarily dislike, "Light My Fire", all of the Steve Miller band
> >> songs, and Boston's catalog.
>
> >My 80 year old father just loves "Light my Fire" (The Doors) and I
> >can't
> >stand it. Never could. That organ solo just drives me nuts.
>
> ok so now you dont like organ solos.
>
> basically, you dont like any band where a gifted instrumentalist takes
> any kind of extended solo, right?
>
> or are there exceptions? Clapton in while my guitar weeps, because its
> the beatles? How about Clapton in Cream?
>
> just curious.... i find your set of likes and dislikes to be extremely
> restrictive- Hide quoted text -

He's a Beatles fan and no Beatles member except Paul McCartney was a
virtuoso of any kind. No wonder he hates solos. How dare these bands
do which the Beatles couldn't do... I bet he hates the likes of Led
Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Yes, ELP, Rush etc. He might like Cream because
Clapton and Harrison are buddies.

Raja, The Great

Oct 14, 2010, 12:47:22 PM10/14/10
On Oct 14, 9:22 am, iarwain <iarwai...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > you dont like any band where a gifted instrumentalist takes any kind of extended solo, right?
>
> But they're not SINGING!

I find it very snobby of rock fans to say jazz solos are so amazing
but when a rock band does it is bad. Rock n Roll is supposed to be a
restricted type of music, apparently where you stick to the 3 minute
convention and of course you need to have vocals dominating, not the
instruments...LOL... how dumb!

Raja, The Great

Oct 14, 2010, 12:50:36 PM10/14/10
On Oct 14, 10:33 am, JohnB <johnbo...@tinyworld.co.uk> wrote:
> On 14 Oct, 14:28, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Oct 14, 8:20 am, iarwain <iarwai...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > That scene in "It Might Get Loud" where Jimmy Page plays the riff to
> > > Whole Lotta Love in front of The Edge and Jack White is awesome.
> > > Classic riff.
>
> > > I don't mind American Pie, but I'll tell you a song that goes on
> > > waaaaay too long, and that's Alice's Restaurant.
> > > I think I would rather stab myself in the eye than listen to that
> > > again.
>
> > Anyone who thinks Whole Lotta Love is date or annoying deserves to
> > have a boot or porcupine up his/her ass.
>
> I was playing a Zep compilation (Remasters) in the car yesterday.
> Whole Lotta Love came on. I hit skip after about 2 minutes. Actually I
> was hitting skip a fair bit until I got to Black Dog.

Anyone who listens to a Zep compilation is a retard by default. Go
listen to their first six albums... you will be blown away. I am not
even a huge Beatles fan and have heard all their studio albums
multiple times. What kind of a rock fan are you, who hasnt even heard
an album from one of rock's premier rock groups.

> No, if you want really irritating, I'd nominate Cheap Trick's "I Want
> You To Want Me" or Gnus'n'Roses "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" or Alex
> Harvey's version of "School's Out" or the one mentioned earlier, "We
> Built This City..."

I agree, these all suck. Guns N Roses debut was great and then some
few songs from Use You Illusion I and II (like Civil War, Estranged,
Nowember Rain, Don't Cry)

Raja, The Great

Oct 14, 2010, 12:51:07 PM10/14/10
> thats the only one I could come up with- Hide quoted text -

Iron Maiden by Iron Maiden on the Iron Maiden album.

Jeff

Oct 14, 2010, 1:19:10 PM10/14/10
On Oct 14, 11:50 am, "Raja, The Great" <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 14, 10:33 am, JohnB <johnbo...@tinyworld.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Anyone who thinks Whole Lotta Love is date or annoying deserves to
> > > have a boot or porcupine up his/her ass.
>
> > I was playing a Zep compilation (Remasters) in the car yesterday.
> > Whole Lotta Love came on. I hit skip after about 2 minutes. Actually I
> > was hitting skip a fair bit until I got to Black Dog.
>
> Anyone who listens to a Zep compilation is a retard by default. Go
> listen to their first six albums... you will be blown away.

I was never blown away by their music, and Robert Plant's voice
got on my nerves. Same as the singer for "Foreigner".

Ray

Oct 14, 2010, 2:12:21 PM10/14/10
On Oct 14, 10:02 am, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 05:09:56 -0700 (PDT), Ray <6sickstri...@gmail.com>
> accurate reggae tune if they wanted to. But thats debatable as well.- Hide quoted text -

Well, I'm not the ONLY person who thinks so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D'yer_Mak'er#cite_note-Complete-0

I'm pretty sure I missed the similarity until I heard one of the band
members refer to it as attempted reggae in an interview.

To be fair, Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da isn't exactly "Pressure Drop" either.

For some really fine imitation reggae, I recommend Frank Zappa's
version of "Ring of Fire" from "The Best Band You Never Heard in Your
Life".

moonpie

Oct 14, 2010, 3:50:04 PM10/14/10
On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 11:12:21 -0700 (PDT), Ray <6sicks...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Oct 14, 10:02�am, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:

yeah thats pretty great. "Tonights secret word is "RING OF FIRE"

then that version of Stairway to Heaven, funny, and great

Message has been deleted

RichL

Oct 14, 2010, 6:30:32 PM10/14/10

> Anyone who thinks Whole Lotta Love is date or annoying deserves to
> have a boot or porcupine up his/her ass.

I was wondering how long this thread would go on before whiny fanboi Raja
would start complaining about his feathers being ruffled.

RichL

Oct 14, 2010, 6:32:31 PM10/14/10
"JohnB" <john...@tinyworld.co.uk> wrote in message

> No, if you want really irritating, I'd nominate Cheap Trick's "I Want
> You To Want Me" or Gnus'n'Roses "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" or Alex
> Harvey's version of "School's Out" or the one mentioned earlier, "We
> Built This City..."

I guess it just amounts to differences in personal taste. I agree with
three out of four of your choices, but to me "I Want You To Want Me" still
comes across as fresh and lively.

RichL

Oct 14, 2010, 6:35:39 PM10/14/10

> On Oct 14, 10:33 am, JohnB <johnbo...@tinyworld.co.uk> wrote:

>> I was playing a Zep compilation (Remasters) in the car yesterday.
>> Whole Lotta Love came on. I hit skip after about 2 minutes. Actually I
>> was hitting skip a fair bit until I got to Black Dog.
>
> Anyone who listens to a Zep compilation is a retard by default. Go
> listen to their first six albums... you will be blown away. I am not
> even a huge Beatles fan and have heard all their studio albums
> multiple times. What kind of a rock fan are you, who hasnt even heard
> an album from one of rock's premier rock groups.

Come on, you aren't really this stupid, are you? Maybe this is what happens
when you get your Led Zeppelin fanboi feathers ruffled.

Read CAREFULLY what John wrote. He didn't say he doesn't own any Zep studio
albums. He said he was listening to a compilation. So what? One doesn't
exclude the other! He could own BOTH, right? D'oh!!

It is loading more messages.