saturday night live albert goldman skit

Surly09

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
when i was a young lad i happened upon a saturday night live skit that showed
why albert goldman wrote his john lennon book: he was playing trombone with the
beatles and they fired him.

i must've seen this skit over ten years ago meaning i was no older than 10 at
the time. does anyone remember this skit? has anyone seen it? i remember the
guy playing albert goldman was at a press conference or something to explain
why he wrote such a mean-spirited book. and then they showed in a black and
white flash back exactly what happened. i think john lovitz played ringo.

it was a funny skit but i remember it only vaguely. i've been watching comedy
central reruns hoping they'll rerun it but i haven't seen it yet. does anyone
have any idea what i'm talking about? am i losing my mind here?

Czeskleba

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
>when i was a young lad i happened upon a saturday night live skit that showed
>why albert goldman wrote his john lennon book: he was playing trombone with
>the
>beatles and they fired him.
>
>i must've seen this skit over ten years ago meaning i was no older than 10 at
>the time. does anyone remember this skit? has anyone seen it? i remember the
>guy playing albert goldman was at a press conference or something to explain
>why he wrote such a mean-spirited book. and then they showed in a black and
>white flash back exactly what happened. i think john lovitz played ringo.

Your memory of the skit is correct. The idea was that Goldman (played by the
late Phil Hartman) was a crummy trombone player in the Beatles, and when John
fired him he vowed revenge. So years later he wrote his book to avenge
himself. Elvis also turned up in the skit at the end. That particular episode
was hosted by Matthew Broderick, who played John. Dana Carvey was Paul, and I
don't remember who played George and Elvis.

David McConnell

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98

George was played by Dennis Miller and Elvis was Kevin Nealon. This episode
was a 1988 episode.

CynLennin

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
Yeah..that skit was one of the great ones...Elvis shows up- tells the Beatles
to lose the trombone player- and he swears revenge against Elvis and John.
Man...I need to see that episode again...

Edward S. Chen

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
In article <199807080639...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

Surly09 <sur...@aol.com> wrote:
>when i was a young lad i happened upon a saturday night live skit that showed
>why albert goldman wrote his john lennon book: he was playing trombone with
>the beatles and they fired him.
>
>i must've seen this skit over ten years ago meaning i was no older than 10 at
>the time. does anyone remember this skit? has anyone seen it? i remember the
>guy playing albert goldman was at a press conference or something to explain
>why he wrote such a mean-spirited book. and then they showed in a black and
>white flash back exactly what happened. i think john lovitz played ringo.

October 15, 1988. Matthew Broderick hosted, musical guest was the
Sugarcubes (where are they these days?). Broderick was Lennon,
and the late Phil Hartman was Albert Goldman.

>it was a funny skit but i remember it only vaguely. i've been watching comedy
>central reruns hoping they'll rerun it but i haven't seen it yet. does anyone
>have any idea what i'm talking about? am i losing my mind here?

It hasn't aired on Comedy Central since December, 1997. Given their current
rate, expect a replay in early September.

<ESC>

--
Like ice in a drink, invisible ink, or dreams in the cold light of day.
The children of rock 'n roll never grow old, they just fade away.

Abirnba2

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
>>when i was a young lad i happened upon a saturday night live skit that showed
>why albert goldman wrote his john lennon book: he was playing trombone with
the beatles and they fired him.

LOVED that sketch!
Elvis: Who's the leader?
Paul: I'm the leader.
Elvis: Then you have to tell Goldman he has to go.
Paul: Oh, the LEADer. John's the LEADer.

SJim67

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
It has aired somewhere since December 1997. I know I saw it very recently. I
think it MIGHT have been part of the Phil Hartman SNL tribute show NBC aired a
few weeks back.

Jason Mole

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98

Edward S. Chen (ec...@kennel.ruf.rice.edu) writes:

> October 15, 1988. Matthew Broderick hosted, musical guest was the
> Sugarcubes (where are they these days?). Broderick was Lennon,
> and the late Phil Hartman was Albert Goldman.

The Sugarcubes broke up, but their lead singer Bjork has a solo career,
say was the same SNL that had the infamous penis skit?

--
http://members.tripod.com/~mole_man/mole.htm (updated July 7th, 98)

Douglas North

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98
I have the sketch on tape if anyone's interested.

Michael S.

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98
Can you describe it a little?

John E. Bredehoft

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98
>when i was a young lad i happened upon a saturday night live skit that showed
>why albert goldman wrote his john lennon book: he was playing trombone with the
>beatles and they fired him.
>
>i must've seen this skit over ten years ago meaning i was no older than 10 at
>the time. does anyone remember this skit? has anyone seen it? i remember the
>guy playing albert goldman was at a press conference or something to explain
>why he wrote such a mean-spirited book. and then they showed in a black and
>white flash back exactly what happened. i think john lovitz played ringo.
>
>it was a funny skit but i remember it only vaguely. i've been watching comedy
>central reruns hoping they'll rerun it but i haven't seen it yet. does anyone
>have any idea what i'm talking about? am i losing my mind here?

I haven't seen that one, but I do remember another SNL skit from the Eddie
Murphy days, in which Eddie's character claimed to be the fifth Beatle.
He played the "original" versions of the Beatles' recordings, which included
a prominent saxophone part which was later "wiped out" or some such.
--
Theo Tres Thr3 "Marine Accident" (copyright control):
http://users.deltanet.com/~jbredeho/tt3/marine.mid

Douglas North

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98
It begins in the Cavern in 1962 where the Beatles are introduced as "The
Five Beatles! John, Paul, George, Ringo, and Albert Goldman!" They
perform "I Saw Her Standing There" in which Albert performs a cheezy
trombone solo. After the show, while Albert is away,they start
discussing how it's not working out with Albert. Elvis shows up ( he's
filming two movies across the street) and tells them they should lose
the trombone player. John and Elvis eventually kick Albert out of the
band and he vows revenge on both of them, but he adds, "maybe I'll wait
until you're dead because I'm a little afraid of both of you right now."

Unknown

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
the Comedy Central cable channel re runs that episode once in a while.

Have a nice day, :)

Darren Nemeth

spark...@rocketmail.com

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98

> >when i was a young lad i happened upon a saturday night live skit that showed
> >why albert goldman wrote his john lennon book: he was playing trombone with
the
> >beatles and they fired him.
> >
> >i must've seen this skit over ten years ago meaning i was no older than 10 at
> >the time. does anyone remember this skit? has anyone seen it? i remember the
> >guy playing albert goldman was at a press conference or something to explain
> >why he wrote such a mean-spirited book. and then they showed in a black and
> >white flash back exactly what happened. i think john lovitz played Ringo.

> >it was a funny skit but i remember it only vaguely. i've been watching comedy
> >central reruns hoping they'll rerun it but i haven't seen it yet. does anyone
> >have any idea what i'm talking about? am i losing my mind here?
>
> I haven't seen that one, but I do remember another SNL skit from the Eddie
> Murphy days, in which Eddie's character claimed to be the fifth Beatle.
> He played the "original" versions of the Beatles' recordings, which included
> a prominent saxophone part which was later "wiped out" or some such.

I haven't seen either of those, but I have seen one where Jon Lovitz was
playing Ringo, and he was being interviewed by some corny celeb show. Just a
short little thing - not terribly funny - but neither was the rest of that
episode, come to think of it.

Tom

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
After the Egypt-Israel talks at Camp David, there was a skit about Jimmy
Carter negotiating a settlement between John Lennon and Paul McCartney. Mick
Jagger played Paul and John Belushi played John.

One of the recurring skits on Fridays was a temp worker in unusual jobs
where he proved to be completely incompetent. Once he filled in for John in
a Beatles reunions (this was before 1980), he couldn't play the guitar,
couldn't sing, and ended up hitting on Linda McCartney.

SJim67

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
All this talk about the Albert Goldman sketch on SNL reminded me of my favorite
Beatle oriented moments on SNL.

In no particular order:

1) Lorne Michaels (in a 1976 or 1977 show I believe) offering the Beatles the
whopping sum of $3000 to reunite on the show. (on a future show he upped it to
about $3750)

2) At a Beatle auction, Paul's toothbrush goes for about $1 million dollars,
but when they put Ringo up for auction (yep, a real live Beatle for sale!) no
one seems interested. Ringo plays himself.

3) Father Guido Sarducci serenades a Beatle medley outside Paul McCartney's
window (through a megaphone) in order to wake him up so he can promote his new
single and video. ("Coming Up") Sarducci jokes with Paul about his Japanese
marijuana bust.

4) Eddie Murphy (being interviewed by a talk show host played by Joe Piscopo)
plays a saxophonist named Clarence who claims he wrote all the early Beatles
songs. ("Paul still uses Afro-sheen because of me!")

These are my favorites. Anyone else know of any other Beatle related SNL skits
that they like?

Adam

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
On 13 Jul 1998 16:19:43 GMT, sji...@aol.com (SJim67) wrote:

>These are my favorites. Anyone else know of any other Beatle related SNL skits
>that they like?

Chris Farley's interview with McCartney a few years ago was pretty
amusing. Someone else will have to describe it, as I don't remember
many of the details, but I think Farley asked Paul if he remembered
the "and in the end.." quote from Abbey Road, and then asked him
whether it was true or not when he said yes.

Sorry, I know I'm not much help ;)

Adam

Brian9091

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
<<<Chris Farley's interview with McCartney a few years ago was pretty
amusing. Someone else will have to describe it, as I don't remember
many of the details, but I think Farley asked Paul if he remembered
the "and in the end.." quote from Abbey Road, and then asked him
whether it was true or not when he said yes.>>>

Another question Chris asked Paul:
Chris: Do you remember when everyone thought you were dead?
Paul: Yeah....
Chris: You weren't really dead, were you?
Paul: No, I wasn't really dead.

There was in that same show Paul and Linda contributing to Adam Sandler's song,
"Red Hooded Sweatshirt".

Xandan

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98

Adam <eleven_...@hotmail.com> wrote in article
<35aa348...@news.acadia.net>...

> On 13 Jul 1998 16:19:43 GMT, sji...@aol.com (SJim67) wrote:
>
> >These are my favorites. Anyone else know of any other Beatle related SNL
skits
> >that they like?
>

> Chris Farley's interview with McCartney a few years ago was pretty
> amusing. Someone else will have to describe it, as I don't remember
> many of the details, but I think Farley asked Paul if he remembered
> the "and in the end.." quote from Abbey Road, and then asked him
> whether it was true or not when he said yes.
>

> Sorry, I know I'm not much help ;)
>
> Adam

CHRIS: Remember when everybody thought you were dead - that was a hoax, right?

S. Mills (xan...@Onramp.net)
-who butchered that quote, but you probably can get the idea...

John E. Bredehoft

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
In article <6oc40m$v33$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

Anyone ever see Eric Idle's rendition of "Here Comes the Sun"? It's hilarious.
He played a nice, sweet, intro on acoustic guitar, then SHOUTED out the chorus
in a voice that would make the Gumbys wince. At the end of the show, he got
the whole cast to do it.

John E. Bredehoft

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
In article <199807131619...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,

SJim67 <sji...@aol.com> wrote:
>All this talk about the Albert Goldman sketch on SNL reminded me of my favorite
>Beatle oriented moments on SNL.
>
>In no particular order:
>
>1) Lorne Michaels (in a 1976 or 1977 show I believe) offering the Beatles the
>whopping sum of $3000 to reunite on the show. (on a future show he upped it to
>about $3750)

I missed it, but when George Harrison appeared with Paul Simon, he apparently
angled to get 1/4 of the money, or all of it...

>3) Father Guido Sarducci serenades a Beatle medley outside Paul McCartney's
>window (through a megaphone) in order to wake him up so he can promote his new
>single and video. ("Coming Up") Sarducci jokes with Paul about his Japanese
>marijuana bust.

Didn't Sarducci broadcast from a Japanese prison?

>4) Eddie Murphy (being interviewed by a talk show host played by Joe Piscopo)
>plays a saxophonist named Clarence who claims he wrote all the early Beatles
>songs. ("Paul still uses Afro-sheen because of me!")

I can't remember if I mentioned the backwards masking in one of the early
Beatles hits, where they apparently talk about kicking the sax player out of
the group.

>These are my favorites. Anyone else know of any other Beatle related SNL skits
>that they like?

I think a Rutles video was played on SNL once.

D 28IF

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
>From: sji...@aol.com (SJim67)

<snip>>These are my favorites. Anyone else know of any other Beatle related SNL
>skits
>that they like?

Another favorite of mine, which supposedly John thought was funny, too, was
from 1980, when Malcolm McDowell guest-hosted, and during the Weekend Update
segment, he played John, baking bread, being interviewed, while Denny Dillon (I
think last seen on HBO's "Dream On") played Yoko.

CynLennin

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
Hmmm....didn't the Rutles start on Saturday Night live or SCTV? I think I
remember hearing that....

CynLennin

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
Or there was that show...SNL? that had a sketch called "Career aid" that had
Yoko singing along.

Abirnba2

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
This is only partly Beatle-related, but in the 80s Dana Carvey used to play a
washed-up British pop singer. It was a recurring role. I forgot the name of
the character, but I think the first name was Derek. Anyway, in one skit he's
sunk so low that he's re- recording "Choppin' Broccoli," one of his old hits,
as the jingle for Birdseye frozen foods. And he's asked one of his old
friends-- Ringo, played by Jon Lovitz-- to help out on drums.

Anothrgrl1

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
In article <6odnoe$2i5$1...@news01.deltanet.com>, sji...@aol.com writes:

>>4) Eddie Murphy (being interviewed by a talk show host played by Joe
>Piscopo)
>>plays a saxophonist named Clarence who claims he wrote all the early Beatles
>>songs. ("Paul still uses Afro-sheen because of me!")
>
>I can't remember if I mentioned the backwards masking in one of the early
>Beatles hits, where they apparently talk about kicking the sax player out of
>the group.

LOL! In Liverpudlian accent, "Hey, Paul, let's kick Clarence out of the band
and steal all of his good ideas." I loved it!

Reality is for people who lack imagination.

TRSL66

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
On 13 Jul 1998, CynLennin wrote:

>Hmmm....didn't the Rutles start on Saturday Night live or SCTV? I think I
>remember hearing that....

The Rutles started out as a sketch on SNL, which later evolved into a TV-movie
produced by Lorne Micheals for NBC. See

www.pythonline.com

for more details.

---------------------------
TRS...@aol.com
Looking for exits on the Information Superhighway

Jason Mole

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98

Also back in 1980 there was an episode with Malcolm McDowell playing John
and not sure who played Yoko but she was screaming (singing me thinks :)
) about something, I think that skit was new a few days before John's death

John E. Bredehoft

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
In article <199807140241...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,

TRSL66 <trs...@aol.com> wrote:
>On 13 Jul 1998, CynLennin wrote:
>

>>Hmmm....didn't the Rutles start on Saturday Night live or SCTV? I think I
>>remember hearing that....
>>

>The Rutles started out as a sketch on SNL, which later evolved into a TV-movie
>produced by Lorne Micheals for NBC. See
>
>www.pythonline.com
>
>for more details.

A sketch, or a film? Was Gary Weis involved?

>---------------------------
>TRS...@aol.com
>Looking for exits on the Information Superhighway

Mary Lynn Gilbert

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
> Chris Farley's interview with McCartney a few years ago was pretty
> amusing. Someone else will have to describe it, as I don't remember
> many of the details, but I think Farley asked Paul if he remembered
> the "and in the end.." quote from Abbey Road, and then asked him
> whether it was true or not when he said yes.

Chris Farley was pretending to be the flustered host of a talk show. Chris would
ask really dumb questions and say dumb things - the kind of things you would say if
you met your hero and were completely awestruck and nervous. The whole idea was
that an interviewer is someone who is supposed to keep an interesting comversation
going, and this guy can only get one word answers out of his subjects.

I can't remember exactly, but he would say "Uhhh, hey Paul, uh, remember the
Beatles?"
Paul: " yeah?"
Chris: "uhhh, they were really cool!"
Paul: "yeah!"

Mcgbjk

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98

Great interview! As I recall, it went more like this:

C: Remember when you were in the Beatles?
P: Yes Chris
C: (Pause) That was awesome!
C: Remember when you were supposed to be dead and there were like clues in the
songs and stuff?
P: Yes Chris
C: That was a hoax, right?
P: Yes Chris. I'm not really dead

Then he asked a question about the pot bust, and Paul said something about not
wanting to remember that, and Chris started hitting his head and saying,
"Stupid Stupid Stupid!" Paul said, "That's OK Chris, people ask me about that
all the time. As a matter of fact, Marie Shriver (?) asked me about that the
other day"
C: Did you know she was married to Arnold Schwarzenegger?
P: Yes Chris
C: Did you ever see Terminator?
P: No Chris
C: Oh, you should. It was awesome!

LOL

David Bailey

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
to jbre...@deltanet.com
John E. Bredehoft wrote:

> In article <199807131619...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,
> SJim67 <sji...@aol.com> wrote:
> >All this talk about the Albert Goldman sketch on SNL reminded me of my favorite
> >Beatle oriented moments on SNL.
> >
> >In no particular order:
> >
> >1) Lorne Michaels (in a 1976 or 1977 show I believe) offering the Beatles the
> >whopping sum of $3000 to reunite on the show. (on a future show he upped it to
> >about $3750)
>
> I missed it, but when George Harrison appeared with Paul Simon, he apparently
> angled to get 1/4 of the money, or all of it...

That was a really good episode. If I recall correctly, Paul Simon opened up the
show singing "Still Crazy After All These Years" and then stopping, apologizing,
and complaining to Lorne Michaels that it wasn't working.

That's when we see George backstage. Michaels is explaining to him that the
he only got the $3000 if all the Beatles appeared therefore he was only getting
paid $750.00. I think George responded by saying that it was kind of "chintzy".

db

David Bailey

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
CynLennin wrote:

> Hmmm....didn't the Rutles start on Saturday Night live or SCTV? I think I
> remember hearing that....

The Rutles were created for "Rutland Weekend Television", a British comedy
series
probably on "London Weekend Television" but that would be an assumption.

The first appearance of the Rutles on SNL was as a film clip taken from RWT
if I
recall correctly.

Later, Stig (Neil Inness) would make a guest shot on an Eric Idle hosted
episode
when he performed Cheese and Onions on the piano.

db

Tom

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98

>Later, Stig (Neil Inness) would make a guest shot on an Eric Idle hosted
>episode
>when he performed Cheese and Onions on the piano.

Eric Idle was Dirk, Neil Innes was Ron.

RoundMyWay

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98

Ironically enough, the name of the record company Derrick was signed to was
none other than: Oasis Records! Fancy that! LOL

Yer Mate,
Maureen
"Is my happening too deafening for you?"--Noel Gallagher

Neohippie

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
In article <199807140044...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, abir...@aol.com
(Abirnba2) writes:

>This is only partly Beatle-related, but in the 80s Dana Carvey used to play a
>washed-up British pop singer. It was a recurring role.

Dana Carvey (I think it was him) had a short-lived show a couple of years ago.
Like SNL is now, some of the skits were funny, and the rest were just awful.
Anyway, he did one thing about the Beatles Anthology. He played Paul, and there
was also a George and a Ringo. I think he did a great Paul, complete with hand
motions, and "John was going like this, ya know, and I was going like this, ya
know". 'George' told a story about how he once wrote a song about a squid,
and John and Paul said they wouldn't put a song about a mollusk on a Beatles
album, but then they let Ringo have Octopus's Garden on Abbey Road, and this is
the kind of CRAP he had to put up with! It was funny.

----
"If I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes.....I never woulda seen it!"

Neohippie

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
In article <35aa348...@news.acadia.net>, eleven_...@hotmail.com (Adam)
writes:

>Chris Farley's interview with McCartney a few years ago was pretty
>amusing. Someone else will have to describe it, as I don't remember
>many of the details, but I think Farley asked Paul if he remembered
>the "and in the end.." quote from Abbey Road, and then asked him
>whether it was true or not when he said yes.

Oh, that was great! I can remember a few parts.

Chris: Remember when everyone thought you were dead?
Paul: yes
Chris: That was a hoax, right?
Paul: Yeah, I wasn't really dead.

I think then Chris starts hitting himself in the head for asking such a stupid
question, and Paul has to calm him down and reassure him that he's doing a good
job.

Chris: Remember when you made that album Abbey Road?
Paul: Yes, I remember that.
Chris: Okay, you know that song "The End" where you sing "and in the end the
love you take is equal to the love you make", remember that?
Paul: yes
Chris: Is that true???
Paul: Uh, yeah, I believe that what you give is what you get.

Then Chris kinda gasps and starts freaking out, like "oh my gosh, is this guy
cool or what?!"

He was pretty much acting like a die-hard Beatle fan trying to carry out an
interview with Paul, but he's so excited and nervous that he's making a
complete idiot of himself.

Jason Mole

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98

Neohippie (neoh...@aol.com) writes:

> Dana Carvey (I think it was him) had a short-lived show a couple of years ago.
> Like SNL is now, some of the skits were funny, and the rest were just awful.
> Anyway, he did one thing about the Beatles Anthology. He played Paul, and there
> was also a George and a Ringo. I think he did a great Paul, complete with hand
> motions, and "John was going like this, ya know, and I was going like this, ya
> know". 'George' told a story about how he once wrote a song about a squid,
> and John and Paul said they wouldn't put a song about a mollusk on a Beatles
> album, but then they let Ringo have Octopus's Garden on Abbey Road, and this is
> the kind of CRAP he had to put up with! It was funny.

Wasn't one of the lines from "George" something about killing a guy, and
they covered it up?

huzzlewhat

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
In article <199807141441...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
mcg...@aol.com (Mcgbjk) wrote:

> > Chris Farley's interview with McCartney a few years ago was pretty
> > amusing. Someone else will have to describe it, as I don't remember
> > many of the details, but I think Farley asked Paul if he remembered
> > the "and in the end.." quote from Abbey Road, and then asked him
> > whether it was true or not when he said yes.

[snip]

> Then he asked a question about the pot bust, and Paul said something about not
> wanting to remember that, and Chris started hitting his head and saying,
> "Stupid Stupid Stupid!" Paul said, "That's OK Chris, people ask me about that
> all the time. As a matter of fact, Marie Shriver (?) asked me about that the
> other day"
> C: Did you know she was married to Arnold Schwarzenegger?
> P: Yes Chris
> C: Did you ever see Terminator?
> P: No Chris
> C: Oh, you should. It was awesome!

The "Chris Farley" show was a running bit on SNL; he interviewed big stars
(the guest stars) and asked stupid questions, and everything eventually
spiralled back to a point where they'd end up talking about the Terminator
movies. Farley's shiny-eyed "Awesome," response to Paul's affirmation of
the "love you take" theory was really sweet . . .

--huzzlewhat--

--
"Music and singing do not produce in the heart
that which is not in it."

huzzlewhat

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
In article <35ABC967...@idirect.com>, rea...@idirect.com wrote:

[snip]

> That's when we see George backstage. Michaels is explaining to him that the
> he only got the $3000 if all the Beatles appeared therefore he was only
getting
> paid $750.00. I think George responded by saying that it was kind of
"chintzy".

Well, apparently George talked them out of the money ;-), 'cause when Paul
made his appearance, the opening segment featured a clip of Lorne Michaels
telling him, "Well, I just assumed that George would have given you the
money," "No, I never heard from George . . . "

huzzlewhat

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
In article <6oh6ul$k...@freenet-news.carleton.ca>,
dn...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Jason Mole) wrote:

Yes! "I killed a man once. A roadie, I think. But the manager covered
it all up, and no one ever knew." What's best about that is the suddenly
dawning look of 'maybe I shouldn't have said that' that followed it . . .

*Loved* the Anthology bits. Truly funny. The rest of the show was
mediocre at best, truly gross at worst.

D 28IF

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
>From: hwhe...@pond.com (huzzlewhat)

>In article <35ABC967...@idirect.com>, rea...@idirect.com wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>> That's when we see George backstage. Michaels is explaining to him that
>the
>> he only got the $3000 if all the Beatles appeared therefore he was only
>getting
>> paid $750.00. I think George responded by saying that it was kind of
>"chintzy".
>
>Well, apparently George talked them out of the money ;-), 'cause when Paul
>made his appearance, the opening segment featured a clip of Lorne Michaels
>telling him, "Well, I just assumed that George would have given you the
>money," "No, I never heard from George . . . "

Does this make SNL the only U.S. show that has had all three ex-Beatles as
guests? Course, I'm only including shows from after the Beatles break-up.

Mcgbjk

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98

>Does this make SNL the only U.S. show that has had all three ex-Beatles as
>guests? Course, I'm only including shows from after the Beatles break-up.

All three have been on The Simpsons.

Roger Smith

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
There have been several sketches on SNL referring to "I Am The
Walrus." In one a father tells his daughter "I was Santa Claus; I was
the Walrus ..." to which the daughter's husband adds "and I am the
walrus, goo goo ga joob."

At least that's what he should have said. :-)

It seems every time anyone quotes the song they say "coo coo ca choo"
instead of "goo goo ga joob" and SNL has gotten it wrong several
times. As a friend of Paul Simon's, Lorne Michaels should know the
difference!

-- Roger

R Lapworth

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
The message <35ABCA33...@idirect.com>
from David Bailey <rea...@idirect.com> contains these words:

> CynLennin wrote:

> > Hmmm....didn't the Rutles start on Saturday Night live or SCTV? I think I
> > remember hearing that....

> The Rutles were created for "Rutland Weekend Television", a British comedy
> series
> probably on "London Weekend Television" but that would be an assumption.

'Rutland Weekend Television' was on BBC2 TV.

Ron

CynLennin

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
I remember the Carvey show....that was great...they had a horrible Paul or
Ringo going on about how he opened up a chocolate bar, "and it had all these
peanuts"

John E. Bredehoft

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
In article <35b6b00d....@news.iag.net>,
Roger Smith <roger@ns_jadebox.com> wrote:

>It seems every time anyone quotes the song they say "coo coo ca choo"
>instead of "goo goo ga joob" and SNL has gotten it wrong several
>times. As a friend of Paul Simon's, Lorne Michaels should know the
>difference!

Nah, that friendship merely means that they'll get "The Boxer" chorus
correct...

D 28IF

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
>From: mcg...@aol.com (Mcgbjk)

>>Does this make SNL the only U.S. show that has had all three ex-Beatles as
>>guests? Course, I'm only including shows from after the Beatles break-up.
>
>All three have been on The Simpsons.

::snaps fingers:: That's it! I knew there was at least one other show. Thanks!

Jim Demes

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
> >From: mcg...@aol.com (Mcgbjk)
> >>Does this make SNL the only U.S. show that has had all three ex-Beatles as
> >>guests? Course, I'm only including shows from after the Beatles break-up.
> >All three have been on The Simpsons.

With Ringo heavily promoting Vertical Man, surely there are some talk
shows to add to this list, right?
--
Jim Demes - de...@udel.edu - http://udel.edu/~demes/

Robert Wheeler

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
I remember the a couple of sketches from Spitting Images, a Brtish program
where they use latex puppets as actors that came out around the time of the
Anthologies.

Ringo, George and Paul around a ouigue (sp?) board in a darkened room:

Ringo: John, John, can you hear us?
Paul ; Year, were gonna get the band together, we need some new songs. Can
you help us?
George: 'Ere the glass is moving!
Ringo : What's it say?
Paul : "Leave - my - songs alone you money grabbing bastards, I am turning
in my grave" ?.

Short pause as they look around at each other.

Paul : 'Ere John, what sort of lyric is that? Come one we really need you
here!

The second one :

Same scene as before:

Ringo : 'Ere John, we need a new vocalist now your up there. Who shall it
be?
Paul: Oh it's moving! Y - O - K....
[Paul flings the glass off the board[
Paul :"oh dear, how did that happen?"
[they all laugh a coniving laugh to themselves]

Robert Wheeler

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
What one was George in?

Robert Wheeler

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98

>Does this make SNL the only U.S. show that has had all three ex-Beatles as
>guests? Course, I'm only including shows from after the Beatles break-up.

Errm, there were four Beatles.

D 28IF

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
>From: Jim Demes <de...@udel.edu>

>> >From: mcg...@aol.com (Mcgbjk)
>as

>> >All three have been on The Simpsons.
>
>With Ringo heavily promoting Vertical Man, surely there are some talk
>shows to add to this list, right?
>--

Well, considering the shows Ringo's done, I think only <gag> Regis & Kathie
Lee, and the Tonight Show can be thrown in there.

George has never appeared on either of these. In fact, with the exception of
the two aforementioned shows, I can't think of any others that George has done.
When he's promoted shows, he's done ones only on morning shows such as Today &
Good Morning America, which I suppose can then be added to the list.

Brian9091

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
Speaking of Beatles and SNL, wasn't there a story where the four were going to
do a suprise apperance at the last minute on the show (run-on sentance, I
know), but John got lost or stuck in traffic?

Richard Green

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
In article <35AD45...@udel.edu>, Jim Demes <de...@udel.edu> wrote:
>> >From: mcg...@aol.com (Mcgbjk)
>> >All three have been on The Simpsons.
>
>With Ringo heavily promoting Vertical Man, surely there are some talk
>shows to add to this list, right?

Ringo was on "TFI Friday" recently, promoting his album among other things.
Paul has also been on, and there were hints on the show that George will
appear in the next series.

Edward S. Chen

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
In article <199807160459...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

The story exists, but is an urban legend. The closest it comes to reality
was when John and Paul were at the Dakota watching SNL, and Lorne Michaels
made "the offer." They called a cab to take them to the studio, then decided
against going. See Lennon's "Playboy" interview for complete details.

<ESC>

--
"Life's a counterfeit, when you look at it."
-- Art Garfunkel (avoiding Eric Idle's Curse), 1997

---------------:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::----------------

Neohippie

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/17/98
In article <199807151553...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, cynl...@aol.com
(CynLennin) writes:

That was "Paul". I think they were making fun of something Ringo said on the
Anthology about having salmon for the first time after they got famous, or
something like that.

"Paul" was talking about how when they first went to America, and he got to
have a Snickers bar for the first time, and there was "all these bloody peanuts
in there!". And then he showed it to John, and he said something like "what are
ya daft? It says on the wrapper 'packed with peanuts!'"

Surly09

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/18/98
That was "Paul". I think they were making fun of something Ringo said on the
Anthology about having salmon for the first time after they got famous, or
something like that.

"Paul" was talking about how when they first went to America, and he got to
have a Snickers bar for the first time, and there was "all these bloody peanuts
in there!". And then he showed it to John, and he said something like "what are
ya daft? It says on the wrapper 'packed with peanuts!'"

this is extremely funny stuff! i managed to see only a bit one dana carvey
beatles sketch. can someone post transcriptions of all the sketches he did?

spark...@rocketmail.com

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98
In article <199807182054...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

I saw Dana Carvey on some late night show a while after the Anthologies came
out. He was saying what a big Beatle fan he was, and was talking about how
the lyrics to "Yesterday" were originally about "scrambled eggs." Then he
picked up his guitar and sang parts of it, and he sounded a whole lot like
Paul! He did a good job of sounding like John, too! Anyway, just thought it
was pretty neat.

Peace,
(: jc :)

ccs

Jul 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/20/98
Don't forget "The Simpsons". - Barb

Robert Wheeler wrote:

> >Does this make SNL the only U.S. show that has had all three ex-Beatles as
> >guests? Course, I'm only including shows from after the Beatles break-up.

Joe Sasser

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
Not bad considering that SNL didn't exist until 1975!!!

pkzac...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2015, 6:16:11 PM8/1/15
Yes.....it is amazing.
Dana Carvey playing Paul Mc Cartney.
Matthew Broderick playing John Lennon.

M C hammered

Aug 1, 2015, 6:26:25 PM8/1/15
HO HO HO HO HE HE HE HE HAW HAW HAW HAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fokes dat I sway da bess fing Mista frikkin Charlie ebba seed..sep mebbe Yoke puffoamin at Live Peace in Tronta. It PROOFS once an ferral dat Goldfinch LIED FABBERCATEERED PERVARICATID INSINUATID FIBBED FAULTSIFIDE INNUENDOIZED ANTI JAPPER-NEEZ-IFIED and strait out BASTIDIZED!! Witha dollop on top.

And it proof's one mo fling...........

DONT REED BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nuff said

mje8...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2020, 9:39:04 PM3/21/20
The best part was when the promoter wanted to hire the band, he asked who was the leader.
And Paul jumped up and said, "I'm the leader!" But when told he would have to fire Albert...
" Oh! The 'leader'. That would be John..."

Norbert K

Mar 22, 2020, 9:22:10 AM3/22/20
On Wednesday, July 8, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Surly09 wrote:
> when i was a young lad i happened upon a saturday night live skit that showed
> why albert goldman wrote his john lennon book: he was playing trombone with the
> beatles and they fired him.
>
> i must've seen this skit over ten years ago meaning i was no older than 10 at
> the time. does anyone remember this skit? has anyone seen it? i remember the
> guy playing albert goldman was at a press conference or something to explain
> why he wrote such a mean-spirited book. and then they showed in a black and
> white flash back exactly what happened. i think john lovitz played ringo.
>
> it was a funny skit but i remember it only vaguely. i've been watching comedy
> central reruns hoping they'll rerun it but i haven't seen it yet. does anyone
> have any idea what i'm talking about? am i losing my mind here?

I've heard about this skit but have yet to see it. It doesn't seem to be on Youtube.

There's a fair amount of Goldman-related stuff up there, though. There's an interesting series of videos titled "Goldman: The Making of a Bestseller." There's a video titled "Liverpool vs. Goldman," which features a Scottish guy insisting that Goldman had somehow killed Lennon a second time.

I don't know about the hysteria that accompanied Goldnan's book. Just what did he allege that is so untrue or horrible? Lennon's violence and drug use have been widely acknowledged. Yoko herself admitted a few years ago that Lennon had bisexual tendencies.

I don't think anything Goldman wrote in his Lennon bio is cause for hysteria or outbursts of profanity.

R Kellog

Mar 23, 2020, 4:21:53 PM3/23/20
I remember Chris Farley interviewing Paul. Farley was more out of control than funny.