Can anyone suggest any interesting power pop bands/songs to me.......

Sir Indipity

Jun 9, 2012, 6:05:18 PM6/9/12

Or anything that you like? Thanks in advance.

Nil

Jun 9, 2012, 8:27:08 PM6/9/12
On 09 Jun 2012, Sir Indipity <sirind...@gmail.com> wrote in
rec.music.beatles:

> Or anything that you like? Thanks in advance.

Scanning through my mp3 collection, stuff I've been listening to
lately...

Jellyfish - broken up long ago, but still sound great to me.

Cotton Mather, and the leader Robert Harrison's subsequent groups,
"Future Clouds and Radar" - very Revolver-psychedelic Beatley.

Josh Rouse, especially his album "1972". Mellow and soulful.

Aimee Mann - she's a Goddess, you know. I especially love "Whatever"
(classic jangle-pop) and "Lost in Space" (much darker.)

Death Cab for Cutie - I don't know them real well, but I love the album
"Narrow Stairs". Something about these guys gets to me.

Gladhands - From the Athens, GA scene, along with REM and Ben Folds.
They broke up more than a decade ago without every breaking out. You'll
probably never find a trace of them, but if you do check them out -
three albums of excellent guitar pop-rock. They shoulda been huge.

Jill Sobule - kind of semi-obscure, but she's been around for many
years. Had a brief hit way back when ("I Kissed a Girl" - not the
recent Katy Perry song). She writes GREAT LYRICS! And I don't even
usually pay much attention to lyrics. And she's got personality to
spare.

Neil Finn - formerly (still?) of Crowded House. Writes wonderful,
simple songs that stick to my brain.

Owsley - Made one FANTASTIC album in 1999 called "Owsley", then
disappeared for several years, then issued another album that I think
is terrible. Then he disappeared for several more years, and then offed
himself. I don't know what went wrong. It's sad, but that one album is
great.

Continental Drifters: "Better Day". I don't know much about these guys,
except they are a kind of 'supergroup', with Peter Holsapple from the
dBs, Vicki Peterson from the Bangles, and the divine Susan Cowsill from
the '60s family harmony group the Cowsills (the real-life inspiration
for The Partridge Family. They all sing and write. All I know is this
one album, but it's wonderful. Byrds-y, rootsy, Beatle-y, all kinds of
good adjectives.

Sir Indipity

Jun 9, 2012, 9:13:21 PM6/9/12
On Jun 9, 7:27 pm, Nil <redno...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
> On 09 Jun 2012, Sir Indipity <sirindipit...@gmail.com> wrote in
Thanks, Nil. I really appreciate it.

jtees4

Jun 9, 2012, 9:58:34 PM6/9/12
On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 15:05:18 -0700 (PDT), Sir Indipity
<sirind...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Or anything that you like? Thanks in advance.

To me power pop means Greenday....but I know many would dissagree with
me on this. I want to puke when I hear them called punk though.
********************

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=789610

hislop

Jun 9, 2012, 10:05:35 PM6/9/12
On 10/06/2012 8:05 AM, Sir Indipity wrote:

> Or anything that you like? Thanks in advance.

I think that counts as trolling

Eric Ramon

Jun 9, 2012, 11:07:29 PM6/9/12
On Jun 9, 3:05 pm, Sir Indipity <sirindipit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>   Or anything that you like? Thanks in advance.

Power pop, to me, is stuff like 20/20, The Plimsouls, Dwight Twilley.
We have a good group in Portland now, a bunch of young guys, just
about old enough to go into the clubs where they're playing, called
The Cry! They do a great live show, currently on tour. Youngstown,
Ohio tonight.

Nil

Jun 9, 2012, 11:18:55 PM6/9/12
On 09 Jun 2012, jtees4 <jte...@hotmail.com> wrote in
rec.music.beatles:

> To me power pop means Greenday....but I know many would dissagree
> with me on this. I want to puke when I hear them called punk
> though.

That reaction seems a little extreme.

WillyShears

Jun 10, 2012, 1:18:11 AM6/10/12
On 6/9/2012 5:05 PM, Sir Indipity wrote:

> Or anything that you like? Thanks in advance.

Give me a couple of examples of 'Power Pop' and I'll
give my opinion.
Willy

Sir Indipity

Jun 10, 2012, 1:36:58 AM6/10/12
On Jun 9, 10:07 pm, Eric Ramon <ramon.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 9, 3:05 pm, Sir Indipity <sirindipit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >   Or anything that you like? Thanks in advance.
>
> Power pop, to me, is stuff like 20/20, The Plimsouls, Dwight Twilley.

I've heard The Plimsouls but not the other 2 bands.

> We have a good group in Portland now, a bunch of young guys, just
> about old enough to go into the clubs where they're playing, called
> The Cry! They do a great live show, currently on tour. Youngstown,
> Ohio tonight.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sir Indipity

Jun 10, 2012, 1:40:49 AM6/10/12
I can give you examples of older bands:

The Raspberries
The Shoes
The Records
Cheap Trick

Sir Indipity

Jun 10, 2012, 1:43:15 AM6/10/12
Good.

Sir Indipity

Jun 10, 2012, 1:34:13 AM6/10/12
On Jun 9, 8:58 pm, jtees4 <jte...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 15:05:18 -0700 (PDT), Sir Indipity
>
> <sirindipit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  Or anything that you like? Thanks in advance.
>
> To me power pop means Greenday....but I know many would dissagree with
> me on this. I want to puke when I hear them called punk though.
> ********************
>
> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=789610

I've listened to Greenday's music and it's not that
interesting to my ears. Thanks though.

Jales

Jun 10, 2012, 1:02:53 PM6/10/12
On 10 jun, 02:40, Sir Indipity <sirindipit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can give you examples of older bands:
>
> The Raspberries
> The Shoes
> The Records
> Cheap Trick

Let's not forget Badfinger

Sir Indipity

Jun 10, 2012, 2:16:02 PM6/10/12
Badfinger was not considered "Power Pop" in it's day.
It might have been re-named that.

BlackMonk

Jun 10, 2012, 5:09:00 PM6/10/12
On 6/9/2012 6:05 PM, Sir Indipity wrote:

> Or anything that you like? Thanks in advance.

I was just listening to a few Power Pop groups:

The Yachts "Love You Love You"
The Donkeys "No Way" and "You Jane"
SVT "Heart of Stone"

Sir Indipity

Jun 10, 2012, 8:56:10 PM6/10/12
Thank You. I'll check these bands and songs out.

hislop

Jun 10, 2012, 8:56:39 PM6/10/12
I said that before I realized you said power pop. I thought you said
'any interesting songs' only.
Still power pop was really a term invented in the 70s. It's pretty
generic in recent times. I thought Big Star had the term first perhaps,
though I didn't like their famous album at all.

Bram Tchaikovsky from 1979 win the prize as far as I'm concerned.
Almost all 60s-oid pop from that time probably was considered something
like power pop.

hislop

Jun 10, 2012, 8:59:13 PM6/10/12
On 10/06/2012 8:05 AM, Sir Indipity wrote:

> Or anything that you like? Thanks in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U59z_KhAbnI

hislop

Jun 10, 2012, 9:57:09 PM6/10/12
On 10/06/2012 8:05 AM, Sir Indipity wrote:

> Or anything that you like? Thanks in advance.

A bit of self indulgence here. This is a part of notes I made of
noteworthy songs I heard on the Underground Garage on Sirius web radio.
There were times I wasn't entirely sure if the song was from the 60s or
was more recent. I made the distinction when necessary. This list is
at least 2 years old now.

Misunderstood(60s, a bit unusual, guitar wails)
Children Of The Sun

The Greenhornes(recent, groovy)
Lies

Mockingbirds(1965, produced by Graham Gouldman, on Immediate, there is
an Australian cover from around 1967)
You Stole My Love

The Maharajas(recent, great organ)
You For President

Stevie Wonder(60s, good 60s soul, the hectic beat)
Nothing's Too Good For My Baby

(Girls, not sure but it is from 1966, convincing girl group sound,
copying He Hit Me and it Felt Like A Kiss)
Chico's Girl

Cocktail Slippers(recent, nice organ and guitar parts, girl singer)
Starlet Cole

Gary Lewis & the Playboys(60s, interesting fat sound for the mid-60s)
She's Just My Style

Zombina And the Skeletones(recent, organ attack, girl singer, even has
backing vocals)
Red Planet

The Grass Roots(60s, great song, could only be from the 60s)
Let's Live For Today

The Woggles(recent, groovy feel with the backing vocals)
Got A Heat On

Nancy Sinatra(2004, Sanctuary?, good song and sound, lilts, wonder if
fakery has helped her voice sound this good)
Bossman

Goldie & the Gingerbreads(60s, girl singer, a bit like Sandie Shaw,
sounds great)
Headlines

The Dollyrots(recent, girls, I guess I like them)
My Best Friend's Hot

Pretty Things(not sure, sort of psychedelic but no earlier than 1969)
All Light Up

Richard and the Young Lions(60s, recognizable but not familiar song,
nifty pacing)
Open Up Your Door

Hell On Heels(recent, fairly typical pretend 60s sound but its girls)
Win Some Lose Some

Killer Barbies(recent, girls, good organ, a bit eighties-like)
Down In The Street

Traffic(mid/late 60s psychedelia, never heard it before, probably on
compilations, half very good)
Coloured Rain

The Dictators(don't know when, likeable song)
Savage Beat

Hell On Heels(sort of recent, recognizable song, girl singer)
I'll Come Runnin'

The Maharajas(sounds recent, groovy organ, light vocals, like the Lyres)
You For President

The Maggots(recent, surprisingly catchy, re-interpretation of Get Off Of
My Cloud)
Get Off My Roof

The Bucaneer's(1966, lovely groovy song)
You're Never Gonna Love Me Anymore

The Satelliters(probably recent, good groovy 60s rendition of guitars
and vocals and beat)
You Will Never Be

Hell On Heels(recent, girls, a bit 80s like but has a sublime core (an
old pop feel), organ)
Pretty Mess

Chris Farlowe(60s,appealing mid-60s soul song)
Baby Make It Soon

Urges(recent I think, classy song, groovy deep sound, NY sound almost)
I Gotta Wait

The Cake(1967, sounds like the Shangri-Las with a lot of echo,very good
girl group sound with something extra)
Baby That's Me

Sunsets(60s, The Saucermen did this song, very good)
The Hot Generation

Satelliters(recent, extra organy, backing vocals, flange vocals)
Why Do They Know

Who(60s, don't have it, a good feel to it, 'levee')
Much Too Much

Baby Woodrose(very recent,from Denmark, groovy, pretend psychedelic, organ)
I'm Gonna Make You Mine

Shadows of Knight(1966, not the same song, a particular favourite of theirs)
I'm Gonna Make You Mine

Unrelated Segments(1960s,genuine 60s groovy, a bit primitive)
Cry Cry Cry

Michelle Phillips(1977,curio, an old-fashioned 60s girl sound)
Victim Of Romance

Urges(recent, a groovy number)
You Don't Look So Good To Me

The Defectors(recent, it's almost all in the organ)
It's Gonna Take Some Time

The Electric Prunes(?recent,(3 original members),curious)
Flying Blind

Kinks(60s, never heard before, their usual rock vein)
Time Will Tell

Simple Image(60s?,sounds late 60s, interesting pop song)
Grooviest Girl In The World

Urges(recent?,groovy organ again, good feel to it)
Psych Ward

Holly Golightly(recent,very good,no organ,girl singer,sounds old,Kinks
cover,2003 album)
Time Will Tell

Sam & Dave(60s, incredible beat)
Said I Wasn't Gonna Tell Nobody

Urges(60s, organy, snarly, groovy)
You Don't Look So Good To Me

Holly Golightly(recent, organ)
In Your Head

Dave Clark Five(60s, groovy, sounds American)
I Need Love

Golden Earrings(60s, sounds British, vaguely Baroque, slightly
intriguing, sound is old-fashioned though)
Daddy Buy Me A Girl

Curt Boettcher(probably recent, good reverb sound)
It's A Sad World

Setting Son(recent, typical but good derivative 60s sound, warm under
current)
I Love You

Kaiser Chiefs(recent, yes I did like this, good guitar melodic movement)
I Can Do It Without You

------------------

Graham Day & The Gaolers (60s, good groovy mid-60s sound)
Better Man

The Len Price 3 (recent, obviously meant to sound 60s)
The Girl Who Became A Machine

The Tears(probably 60s, typical tight sound, organ and guitar)
You're All Talk

Jeff Beck(60s,sound of 67, produced by Mickie Most)
Tallyman

Sir Indipity

Jun 10, 2012, 11:04:32 PM6/10/12
I really enjoyed this.

Sir Indipity

Jun 10, 2012, 11:01:41 PM6/10/12
On Jun 10, 7:56 pm, hislop <takecarebew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/06/2012 3:43 PM, Sir Indipity wrote:

> >> I think that counts as trolling
>
> > Good.
>
> I said that before I realized you said power pop.  I thought you said
> 'any interesting songs' only.

Well, it's what I also meant. I like different types of music
although Power Pop is mostly what I like. Your definition
of a troll must be different than mine. Mine is someone
who comes to this group with the sole purpose of
causes problems with other posters. Whatever posters
think of me is fine though.

> Still power pop was really a term invented in the 70s.  It's pretty
> generic in recent times.  I thought Big Star had the term first perhaps,
> though I didn't like their famous album at all.

I forgot all about Big Star.

> Bram Tchaikovsky from 1979 win the prize as far as I'm concerned.
> Almost all 60s-oid pop from that time probably was considered something
> like power pop.

I don't think I've heard this music. I'll check it out. Thank you.

Sir Indipity

Jun 10, 2012, 11:07:23 PM6/10/12
Thanks so much for spending so much time typing all
these bands. I really appreciate it.

hislop

Jun 11, 2012, 11:25:14 AM6/11/12
A bit dated maybe, but I went crazy over it in 1979. They had a raw
sound as of the times, and not being American. American studio
recordings always had a smoother sound.
You can get a CD of the album that song was on, made by one of the
ex-members created from a vinyl record. I wasn't quite sure of all that
before I got it. I think you can get contact details from the wikipedia
page for the group.
I have that double single that has the picture sleeve shown in the clip.

JohnB

Jun 11, 2012, 11:41:36 AM6/11/12
On Jun 9, 11:05 pm, Sir Indipity <sirindipit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>   Or anything that you like? Thanks in advance.

First name that comes to my head for power pop is - Jennifer Rush: The
Power Of Love

That leads on to Belinda Carlisle and Alanis Morissette.

But it all depends what you mean. Maybe the Rembrandts? Or even the
Kinks?

hislop

Jun 11, 2012, 11:41:53 AM6/11/12
>> Gary Lewis& the Playboys(60s, interesting fat sound for the mid-60s)
>> She's Just My Style
>>
>> Zombina And the Skeletones(recent, organ attack, girl singer, even has
>> backing vocals)
>> Red Planet
>>
>> The Grass Roots(60s, great song, could only be from the 60s)
>> Let's Live For Today
>>
>> The Woggles(recent, groovy feel with the backing vocals)
>> Got A Heat On
>>
>> Nancy Sinatra(2004, Sanctuary?, good song and sound, lilts, wonder if
>> fakery has helped her voice sound this good)
>> Bossman
>>
>> Goldie& the Gingerbreads(60s, girl singer, a bit like Sandie Shaw,
>> Sam& Dave(60s, incredible beat)
>> Said I Wasn't Gonna Tell Nobody
>>
>> Urges(60s, organy, snarly, groovy)
>> You Don't Look So Good To Me
>>
>> Holly Golightly(recent, organ)
>> In Your Head
>>
>> Dave Clark Five(60s, groovy, sounds American)
>> I Need Love
>>
>> Golden Earrings(60s, sounds British, vaguely Baroque, slightly
>> intriguing, sound is old-fashioned though)
>> Daddy Buy Me A Girl
>>
>> Curt Boettcher(probably recent, good reverb sound)
>> It's A Sad World
>>
>> Setting Son(recent, typical but good derivative 60s sound, warm under
>> current)
>> I Love You
>>
>> Kaiser Chiefs(recent, yes I did like this, good guitar melodic movement)
>> I Can Do It Without You
>>
>> ------------------
>>
>> Graham Day& The Gaolers (60s, good groovy mid-60s sound)
>> Better Man
>>
>> The Len Price 3 (recent, obviously meant to sound 60s)
>> The Girl Who Became A Machine
>>
>> The Tears(probably 60s, typical tight sound, organ and guitar)
>> You're All Talk
>>
>> Jeff Beck(60s,sound of 67, produced by Mickie Most)
>> Tallyman
>
> Thanks so much for spending so much time typing all
> these bands. I really appreciate it.

Thanks, but I already had that done. I did it as I listened to the
station so I wouldn't forget some things. There was more to it.
A hangover from 1979 (and into the 80s), trying to find 60s sounding
groups in the present.
There was a book called The Knights of Fuzz about the 'paisley
underground' of the 80s (mostly). There was a CD-ROM with the book and
a collection of mp3s with it. I think they may have updated that since,
it's from the USA of course.

A favourite group of mine from the 80s were The Cynics. Their standout
album was 12 Flights Up, or something like that. Extraordinary music on
it, as if the 60s couldn't ever end and were never just nostalgia.
They were from the USA and Pittsburgh I think.
The Prisoners weren't bad, slightly evocative of The Small Faces, and
from England.

Thought I would include the rest of the list, excuse this long post:

The Love Me Nots(recent, girls)
Mine

The Mockers(recent)
Come On Over To My Side

Carol Connors(sounds old)
Lonely Little Beach Girl

The Maggots(recent)
King Of The Freaks

The Pandoras(recent)
I'm Your Girl

The Jelly Beans(60s, sounded like Mary Weiss singing and its on Redbird)
Kind of Boy You Can't Forget

Gore Gore Girls(recent)
You Lied To Me Before

Bob Seger And The Last Heard(60s)
East Side Story

Creatures Of The Golden Dawn(recent)
I Don't Need Your Love

The Hekawis ?
Born Yesterday

Ricochets(recent)
I Won't Change My Mind

Traffic(60s)
Coloured Rain

Sugar Twins(1999,[over-does the innocence], girls singing)
For You

Stems
Make You Mine

Chesterfield Kings
Where Do We Go From Here

The Charms(recent)
Broken Heart

The Woggles(recent, mouth organ part)
Get Tough

Bob Seger And The Last Heard
Vagrant Winter

Jarvis Humby(recent)
The Man With The X-Ray Eyes

The Five Americans(60s)
Western Union

The Morlocks(recent)
Dirty Red

Rocky and His Friends(60s)
You Weren't Using Your Head

April March(recent, nice female voice, again not sure what kind of style
their thinking of)
Chick Habit

Reigning Sound(recent, Mary Weiss's band)
Let Yourself Go

The Morlocks(recent,like the Cynics, similar guitar sound)
You Burn Me Out

The Allies(60s,66, Barstow, California **)
I'll Sell My Soul

The Shamen(?, electric prunes influenced? * 'Drop', 1987, synthesizers)
A Strange Day's Dream

The Vertebrats(? 82)
Left In The Dark

The Flirtations(60s soul, girls)
Nothing But A Heartache

The Bristols(? probably 60s, girls)
The Way I Feel About You

The Contrast(recent)
Caught In A Trap

Gonn(?, starts like a song on Nuggets)
Blackout Of Gretely

Pretty Things(folk rock)
You Don't Believe Me

The High Dials(recent)
Morning's White Vibration

The Nazz(60s)
Forget All About It

The Who(60s)
Much Too Much

Screaming Trees(recent)
All I Know

The Troggs(60s)
Jingle Jangle

The Sparkles(60s, might have it on Nuggets)
Ain't No Friend of Mine

Patti Palladin(recent, girl singer, good use of tremolo, old sound
mostly, good guitar,doing a Sandie Shaw,from The Flying Lizards?)
Singer Not the Song

The Maharajas(recent, groovy organ, tasteful, silly drums)
I'm Crackin' Up

The Eyes(sounds 60s, iffy vocals)
I'm Rowed Out

Yesterday's Thoughts(recent, wonderful organ, plain vocal)
Wasting My Time

Lyres(recent)
Grounded

Australian Playboys(mid or so 60s, Normie Rowe's backing band?)
Sad

The Woggles(recent, achieve a genuine tough old sound)
Hounded

The Mummies(recent, very rough, its 60s form is like Pebbles)
You Must Fight To Live ...

The Yardbirds(?! 2003?)
Mystery Of Being

Cocktail Slippers(recent, girls, a bit derivative, organ good)
My Man

The Anderson Council(recent,curious She Said, She Said-like riff)
Never Stop Being ' 67

Compulsive Gamblers(?,song Mary Weiss covers)
Stop and Think It Over

The Ponys(recent,melodic phrases)
Fall Inn

The Urges(think it's 60s, very organy, snarly, even backing vocals, a
groovy one,We The People singer?)
You Don't Look So Good To Me

The Illusions(60s, chorus part sounds like Cowsill's Hair)
I Know

The Dearly Beloved(60s, seems like basic Beatle's influence)
I've Got A Girl

The Wig/Wags(60s)
I'm On My Way Down the Road

The Standells(never heard it before)
Rari

The Belfast Gipsies(60s, song The cynics covered, not sure if this is
original)
Gloria's Dream

Dee Rangers(probably 60s, generic groovy)
My Little Scooter

The Woggles(recent, energetic, uplifting)
There Goes Danger

Cocktail Slippers(recent, girls, organ)
Give It To Me

Donovan(60s, never heard it before, almost groovy)
Superlungs, My Supergirl

Ko & The Knockouts(recent,girl,sublime peppy oddly reminds of the lemon
drops)
Cry No More

The Litter
Soul-Searchin'

Swingin' Neckbreakers(1995, know the song from somewhere else(The Trolls))
That's The Way My Love Is

The Escapades(60s, vocals and organ good)
I Tell No Lies

The Chapparrals(60s, distinctive vocal style and arrangement of mid to
late 60s)
I Tried So Hard

The Byrds(60s, Notorious Byrd Brothers 1968)
Artificial Energy

The Shadows of Knight(60s, I don't have it, not their best)
Alone

Rationals(60s, have other songs by group somewhere)
Look What You're Doin' (To Me Baby)

Great Scots(60s, 1966, song covered elsewhere)
That's My Girl

The Sound Barrier(sounds 60s, very fuzz with organ)
Hey Hey

The Tol-Puddle Martyrs(!, I know these dudes, they need to be told, Bill
Kelly program Sunday, 19th August 12:41 am)
Psych-Out U.S.A.

The Electras(60s, 1966)
This Week's Children

The Paragons(60s, 1967, song The Cynics covered)
Abba

Warlocks(not sure, ringy sound)
Baby Blue

Jury(60s,zippy,vaguely Standells-like)
Who Dat?

The Raconteurs(recent, nice instrumental sound)
Steady As She Goes

Les Fleur De Lys(60s, English guitar sound)
Circles

Baby Woodrose(recent, groovy, vocals borderline, effect works though)
Hippie Chick

Cream(60s, not heard before, wonderful)
Those Were the Days

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club(recent, good feel to it)
Lien On Your Dreams

Pretty Things(60s, mid 60s sound, interesting)
Come See Me

Stabilisers(recent, sort of like it, who is Belinda?)
Belinda

The Contrast(recent, something about the feel likeable despite being
post 60s cliched)
Big Dark Nowhere

Larry & The Blue Notes(60s, organ and such there, mid-60s)
Night Of The Sadist

The Midways(probably recent, organ attack)
Red Boots

hislop

Jun 11, 2012, 12:16:52 PM6/11/12
On 11/06/2012 1:01 PM, Sir Indipity wrote:
> On Jun 10, 7:56 pm, hislop<takecarebew...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Good.
>>
>> I said that before I realized you said power pop. I thought you said
>> 'any interesting songs' only.
>
> Well, it's what I also meant. I like different types of music
> although Power Pop is mostly what I like. Your definition
> of a troll must be different than mine. Mine is someone
> who comes to this group with the sole purpose of
> causes problems with other posters. Whatever posters
> think of me is fine though.
>

>> Still power pop was really a term invented in the 70s. It's pretty
>> generic in recent times. I thought Big Star had the term first perhaps,
>> though I didn't like their famous album at all.
>
> I forgot all about Big Star.

I think Nick Lowe's involvement was the key thing. Other bands of his
might have had the label power pop. Brinzley Schwartz (sic)?
I once read an article on him in Rolling Stone.

hislop

Jun 11, 2012, 12:28:41 PM6/11/12
On 12/06/2012 2:16 AM, hislop wrote:
> On 11/06/2012 1:01 PM, Sir Indipity wrote:

>>> I said that before I realized you said power pop. I thought you said
>>> 'any interesting songs' only.
>>
>> Well, it's what I also meant. I like different types of music
>> although Power Pop is mostly what I like. Your definition
>> of a troll must be different than mine. Mine is someone
>> who comes to this group with the sole purpose of
>> causes problems with other posters. Whatever posters
>> think of me is fine though.
>>

>>> Still power pop was really a term invented in the 70s. It's pretty
>>> generic in recent times. I thought Big Star had the term first perhaps,
>>> though I didn't like their famous album at all.
>>
>> I forgot all about Big Star.
>
> I think Nick Lowe's involvement was the key thing. Other bands of his
> might have had the label power pop. Brinzley Schwartz (sic)?
> I once read an article on him in Rolling Stone.

Nick Lowe had nothing to do with Big Star, it was Alex Chilton. I don't
know that much about these people.

jtees4

Jun 12, 2012, 10:02:45 AM6/12/12
Is there anything punk about them? I mean...if that's not pop rock I
don't know what is. And FWIW I like Green Day somewhat, it's not a
knock on them at all.
********************

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=789610

Nil

Jun 12, 2012, 11:23:55 AM6/12/12
On 12 Jun 2012, jtees4 <jte...@hotmail.com> wrote in rec.music.beatles:

> Is there anything punk about them? I mean...if that's not pop rock I
> don't know what is. And FWIW I like Green Day somewhat, it's not a
> knock on them at all.

I've heard plenty of so-called "punk rock" that sounded fairly poppy,
and I'd say that Green Day punk that sounds pop, or pop that sounds
punk. You could debate for days over where the crossover point is.
However, Green Day looks punky, they pull down their pants at
inappropriate times, they always sound loud and bratty. If it's not
"real" punk, it's close enough for me. That kind of categorization is
marketing crap anyway. Does it matter what bin their albums are in in
the record store? In any case, I can't imagine feeling sick over it.

Parallel subject... Newbury Comics doesn't even have a "vocalists" or
"easy listening" section any more. So, now you find Frank Sinatra and
Judy Garland in the rock section. Wha???

jtees4

Jun 12, 2012, 6:43:41 PM6/12/12
Yes, you're right. I never actually felt sick over it ;-)
The Ramones, while I consider them punk...certainly had their pop
moments too. BUT to me anyway, GreenDay has never had a punk moment,
but that's just me.
********************

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=789610

Sir Indipity

Jun 12, 2012, 7:52:04 PM6/12/12
On Jun 12, 5:43 pm, jtees4 <jte...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 11:23:55 -0400, Nil
>

> <redno...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
> >On 12 Jun 2012, jtees4 <jte...@hotmail.com> wrote in rec.music.beatles:
>
> >> Is there anything punk about them? I mean...if that's not pop rock I
> >> don't know what is. And FWIW I like Green Day somewhat, it's not a
> >> knock on them at all.
>
> >I've heard plenty of so-called "punk rock" that sounded fairly poppy,
> >and I'd say that Green Day punk that sounds pop, or pop that sounds
> >punk. You could debate for days over where the crossover point is.
> >However, Green Day looks punky, they pull down their pants at
> >inappropriate times,  they always sound loud and bratty. If it's not
> >"real" punk, it's close enough for me. That kind of categorization is
> >marketing crap anyway. Does it matter what bin their albums are in in
> >the record store? In any case, I can't imagine feeling sick over it

>> GreenDay has never had a bowel movement.

Really? Archie bunker on "All in the family" was
the first TV show to hear a toilet flush.

> but that's just me.

Oh my gosh. You must feel terrible.

:-)

hislop

Jun 13, 2012, 11:08:42 PM6/13/12
On 10/06/2012 8:05 AM, Sir Indipity wrote:

> Or anything that you like? Thanks in advance.

For completeness and indulgence, I thought I would mention these.
These are a couple of recent girl groups. I bought The Like album after
just hearing it in a record store. I bought Ladytron after hearing this
particular song in a record store, the 1965 feel is quite striking.
They revealed somewhere that they had been listening to groups like The
Shangri-Las for ideas perhaps. This happens more than people realize, a
new group will go and listen to an old group for ideas, perhaps
motivated by a manager or producer.
I saw The Like live in Australia a couple of years ago, a few months
before they broke up. The trip here didn't do them any good I think.

The Like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDIAGT2mqWA

Ladytron
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHph7rUDJPo

hislop

Jun 14, 2012, 1:17:08 PM6/14/12

hislop

Jun 14, 2012, 1:28:27 PM6/14/12
On 10/06/2012 8:05 AM, Sir Indipity wrote:

> Or anything that you like? Thanks in advance.

The bands just don't go away.
New song by The Cynics, and not from their awful heavy metal phase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euLGj3iOl98&feature=related

Sir Indipity

Jun 14, 2012, 1:50:06 PM6/14/12
Thanks so much for your time and for these links.
I'm about ready to check them out.

Sir Indipity

Jun 14, 2012, 9:12:39 PM6/14/12
On Jun 10, 8:57 pm, hislop <takecarebew...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm in the process and copying and pasting this
entire thread into my mail

hislop

Jun 14, 2012, 9:32:28 PM6/14/12
It was very late at night. I couldn't help myself. I haven't heard
anything new from them in over 20 years.

hislop

Jun 15, 2012, 10:18:49 AM6/15/12
On 15/06/2012 3:50 AM, Sir Indipity wrote:
Tell me if you dislike this stuff and I will stop posting links for The
Like or The Cynics.

Sir Indipity

Jun 15, 2012, 10:36:07 AM6/15/12
I like it. It's going to take me a while to check out some of
the music, but I would like for you to keep posting this
stuff. It's much easier than just guessing what bands
I might like...and it's way more time consuming to
do it that way.

hislop

Jun 16, 2012, 10:49:17 AM6/16/12
I got rude comments on the 60s newsgroup.
The Cynics song and clip blew me away. It's clips from what might be
movies from the 60s, I'm not entirely sure.
The REM riff similarity is a bit annoying though, though I did like that
REM song in 1987.

Sir Indipity

Jun 16, 2012, 12:00:37 PM6/16/12
You got rude comments about posting about the bands you post
here? I don't know why they would care. They must have little
going on in their lives.