Harrison As A Session Musician For Other Artists

zippl...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2016, 6:42:05 PM3/17/16

Does anyone know if Harrison ever played lead guitar on any other artists
songs, (besides Ringo's) and not played slide?

BlackMonk

Mar 17, 2016, 8:17:47 PM3/17/16
On 3/17/2016 6:42 PM, zippl...@gmail.com wrote:

> Does anyone know if Harrison ever played lead guitar on any other artists
> songs, (besides Ringo's) and not played slide?

Both George and Clapton play on this. Some of the lead guitar sounds
like George, some like Clapton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYLHpL2eksk

DONT DIE JEFFIE

Mar 18, 2016, 6:42:59 AM3/18/16
On 3/17/2016 6:42 PM, zippl...@gmail.com wrote:

>Does anyone know if Harrison ever played lead guitar on any other
>artists songs, (besides Ringo's) and not played slide?

KEEP ASKING THE IMPORTANT QUESTIONS JEFFIE! IT HELPS KEEP YOUR WILL TO
LIVE ALIVE!!!FIND OUT ALL YOU CAN ABOUT BURNING ISSUES LIKE THIS SO YOU
CAN SHARE IT WITH THE REST OF US AS YOUR LEGACY!

KEEP LIVING JEFFIE! KEEP LIVING!!!

zippl...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2016, 8:04:47 PM3/18/16
Thanks for the info.

zippl...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2016, 8:19:55 PM3/18/16
There's nothing that important going on here, but people decide to
have a meltdown over off topic posts, when they are just as guilty of
it as I am. Plenty of room for laughs. It's not that people mind the
off topic posting that makes most people angry. It's the argumentative
shit that drives posters away. There's plenty of room for everyone to
enjoy themselves, but I won't waste my time arguing about stupid shit.
Not much left to discuss the Beatles, and what is left, you can look most
of it up without having a discussion. Have a good one.

Tim

Mar 18, 2016, 9:10:10 PM3/18/16
I hear you Jeff, but I'm additionally left to wonder if there isn't some bipolar disorder behavior at play, from time to time, here. there, and everywhere on Usenet, due to the manic-depressive mood swings I sometimes perceive as repeatedly being practiced by certain contributors.

Marcus

Mar 18, 2016, 9:58:21 PM3/18/16
On Friday, March 18, 2016 at 8:19:55 PM UTC-4, zippl...@gmail.com wrote:

> There's nothing that important going on here, but people decide to
> have a meltdown over off topic posts, when they are just as guilty of
> it as I am. Plenty of room for laughs. It's not that people mind the
> off topic posting that makes most people angry. It's the argumentative
> shit that drives posters away. There's plenty of room for everyone to
> enjoy themselves, but I won't waste my time arguing about stupid shit.
> Not much left to discuss the Beatles, and what is left, you can look most
> of it up without having a discussion. Have a good one.

First of all, Jeff, ignore the moron who is taunting you. H

Second of all, I have a Beatles related question. I probably knew the answer to this once, but can't remember. Below is a link to a hodge-podge video on YouTube. It's called a tribute to George Martin, but it really isn't. However, it has the film of The Beatles recording different takes of "Hey Jude", which I assume happened in mid-1968.

Now, I have heard the audio from this before. In fact, somewhere on the 40 plus old vinyl bootlegs I own, it is there. However, until viewing this YouTube video, I don't remember seeing the film of them recording "Hey Jude".

I can't believe it hasn't surfaced before. Was it on the Anthology? And also why was it filmed at all? Was it part of something that was supposed to be a documentary (it precedes the Let It Be filming by six months or so).
I would be most appreciative of reply.

Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPZunQG7kyY

Marc

hereford

Mar 19, 2016, 2:44:38 AM3/19/16
On 18/03/2016 9:42 AM, zippl...@gmail.com wrote:

> Does anyone know if Harrison ever played lead guitar on any other artists
> songs, (besides Ringo's) and not played slide?

Why not slide?

zippl...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2016, 12:05:35 PM3/19/16
I think that's a possibility, Tim, with people going back and forth, having to
be right about some non important issue. No one ever wins these disputes.
Yeah, I talk too much about things I shouldn't because I've been here for
so many years, with no one else to talk to. But my girlfriend has terminal
cancer and it's very hard to watch someone waste away, and when she
passes, I can kiss my life goodbye too. That's why I almost lost it a month
or so back with you and Mack. As I said earlier, nothing new is being posted
about the Beatles, and just the fact that I posted, some people act like I took
a piece of their lives away. It's like some people really have no clue about
the things that aren't even important. Oh well. They'll get over it.

zippl...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2016, 12:21:05 PM3/19/16
Sorry Marcus. I don't know the answer to your question, but have watched
this clip a few times, and discovered it a couple of years back. I would
love to see the rest of it, if it exists. Too bad with just the 4 of them,
they never got onstage and did this. George Harrison should have joined
in with 2 part backup vocals harmony. You can hear the piano only on
the released version of Hey Jude, but I would like to hear the orchestra
stripped away with just the 4 of them. I believe though that the woman
who used to post here, who was Paul's girlfriend, said that she was there
when Hey Jude was recorded, and the released version didn't exist without
the orchestration. How would she know that? Your guess is just as good
as mine.

zippl...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2016, 12:34:17 PM3/19/16
Well, it's an interesting question because once George picked up that slide,
he rarely put it down, and I've never seen the question asked before. It's a
mystery with George because he had some interesting lead guitar parts,
but no one will really ever know just how good he was, because he didn't
show the world what he was capable of playing. He held back, and onto
that slide. Did you see that clip though of Deep Purple announcing him
as a guitar hero, and did you hear what he played? It was awful and probably
embarrassing to him. George was just not a good lead rock guitarist, so if
people are looking for that, they'll always be disappointed. Too bad he didn't
ask Clapton to play on "Wake Up My Love'.

Nil

Mar 19, 2016, 1:22:02 PM3/19/16
On 19 Mar 2016, zippl...@gmail.com wrote in rec.music.beatles:

> Well, it's an interesting question because once George picked up
> that slide, he rarely put it down, and I've never seen the
> question asked before. It's a mystery with George because he had
> some interesting lead guitar parts, but no one will really ever
> know just how good he was, because he didn't show the world what
> he was capable of playing. He held back, and onto that slide. Did
> you see that clip though of Deep Purple announcing him as a guitar
> hero, and did you hear what he played? It was awful and probably
> embarrassing to him. George was just not a good lead rock
> guitarist, so if people are looking for that, they'll always be
> disappointed. Too bad he didn't ask Clapton to play on "Wake Up My
> Love'.

I can't think of any later session playing that didn't feature slide,
but he played regular fingered guitar in his own shows. I think his
playing in this clip of "Something" is really beautiful.

https://youtu.be/qwn0qY2qY_s

I think George was a good lead guitarist, he just wasn't that good at
winging it. He liked to work his solos out. The definition of "lead
guitar" came to be synonymous with "long improvised solos", which
unfortunately (maybe) for him wasn't what he was best at.

I was just admiring George's solo in "Baby's in Black", which is only
about 10 seconds long, but is just perfect in tone, note choice, and
taste. THAT's what he was best at.

Commies Suck

Mar 19, 2016, 6:35:08 PM3/19/16
On Friday, March 18, 2016 at 8:58:21 PM UTC-5, MarXus wrote:

> First of all, Jeff, ignore the moron who is taunting you.

Look at the draft dodging, commie POS call someone else names!

Keep watch PMSNBC you delusional, anti-American POS. Everyone thinks you
are the biggest blowhard on RMB, shit head.

The Soviet Union is dead, dirtbag. Sanders will never beat Hitlery
Cliton and will be relegated to the McGovern trash dump and toxic waste
site.

You are a loser. Go back to watching Rachel Maddow lick Elizabeth
warren's bearded clam.

BlackMonk

Mar 19, 2016, 6:41:41 PM3/19/16
Do you mean the live version of Lucille? That's a pretty good solo. He's
relying more on phrasing than playing fast, so it hangs together as a
coherent musical statement more than Blackmore's does.

zippl...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2016, 11:05:49 AM3/20/16
You're right about George's playing in this video clip being beautiful.
It took me years to realize it was George playing the solo in the
Bangladesh concert. He was great when he set his mind to it.

zippl...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2016, 11:10:10 AM3/20/16
I don't remember what the song was, but it was posted here. Do you remember
what that clip was of Harrison and Clapton playing, and Harrison was playing
most of the solos because Clapton was out of it? That was also posted here.
I wish I had the link.

WillyShears

Mar 20, 2016, 3:21:13 PM3/20/16
On 3/17/2016 5:42 PM, zippl...@gmail.com wrote:

> Does anyone know if Harrison ever played lead guitar on any other artists
> songs, (besides Ringo's) and not played slide?

I always thought he played on a couple
of Badfinger recordings.
Willy

DONT DIE JEFFIE

Mar 20, 2016, 3:57:14 PM3/20/16
On Saturday, March 19, 2016 at 12:05:35 PM UTC-4, zippl...@gmail.com
wrote:

>Yeah, I talk too much about things I shouldn't because I've been here
>for so many years, with no one else to talk to. But my girlfriend has
>terminal cancer and it's very hard to watch someone waste away, and
>when she passes, I can kiss my life goodbye too. That's why I almost
>lost it a month or so back with you and Mack.

JEFFIE KEEP HOPE ALIVE! YOU AND YOUR GIRLFRIEND MUST LIVE TO SEE THE
NEXT PRESIDENT TAKE OFFICE AND MAKE PEACE WITH THE ANNUNAKKI FROM PLANET
X! YOUR WHOLE FAMILY AND FRIENDS CAN'T ALL HAVE BLACK CLOUDS OVER THEIR
HEADS! THINK OF WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO SEAN LENNON! LIVE JEFFIE LIVE!

RichL

Mar 20, 2016, 5:57:29 PM3/20/16
"WillyShears" <Do...@the.Jamroom2016> wrote in message
The one that came to mind for me was "Day After Day", where he played the
solo along with Pete Ham. And that was a slide solo.

zippl...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2016, 7:05:08 PM3/20/16
Were the songs called: "The Day After Tomorrow" and "Yesterday Is Gone, Tomorrow
WIll Be Worse"?

Nil

Mar 21, 2016, 2:15:11 PM3/21/16
On 20 Mar 2016, zippl...@gmail.com wrote in rec.music.beatles:

>> https://youtu.be/qwn0qY2qY_s

> You're right about George's playing in this video clip being
> beautiful. It took me years to realize it was George playing the
> solo in the Bangladesh concert. He was great when he set his mind
> to it.

George seems confident and relaxed here. He may have worked it out
before, but he's really digging in and playing with great feeling and
dynamics. I like his guitar sound, too. I sometimes get a "deer caught
in the headlights" vibe from him in some live recordings, but not here.

He's in good vocal form in this clip, too.