How Irish were the Fabs?

The Walrus was Danny

Feb 16, 2010, 12:48:33 PM2/16/10
Been having a look at a discussion between some blokes on youtube, :

"""deldred69 No they didn't! And they have. the Beatles were a group
of Irish decented navvies that were made in London! Nothing original
came from them and what they did was easily done. Look at teh monkets
who actually beat them in the chartss ! They are not the beatles. They
are an industry. Completely fabricated.

ihavenovids (3 hours ago) Do you enjoy their music? If you do... Who
cares? Their originality, origin and and industry status don't really
mean anything.. If you don't... Why are you on this page, throwing
around trash like that? Speaking words of wisdom... Let it be,
friend.. It's about the music, and how it makes you feel.

deldred69 (2 hours ago) It's all about music and how you feel.Well it
actually isn't all about music, it's about image in the case of the
Beatles. And that's a fact. Ok, granted, mabey later they were about
music, but originally (And this is the po

ihavenovids (2 hours ago) Well, I'm not going to go into a war with
you hear about the reasons for visiting a youtube page to listen to a
song. And anyone can spout controversial and tactless things like
"completely fabricated" about a popular band and get responses. Not
everyone has the control to debate rationally explain that you're
acting like a troll and you probably don't need to. With that, I'm
done. I won't pollute this board further. Take care, everyone. Enjoy
the music and keep watching the wheels.

deldred69 (2 hours ago) Then don't offend me with your slander...I
will back down by saying (Almost) completely fabricated. But you have
grasped the wrong end of the stick. I am researching Irishness. It is
fact that the Beatles music was spiritual. Look at the Abbey road
album and loads more...But they are basically IRISH. sorry, but this
is completely true. You haven't looked at the facts. I mean. If a
ford car is made in England, it's still an American car! get it? Im
not trying to insult the Beatles.

deldred69 (2 hours ago) ...and Ok out of context it is tactless, but
this debate's been going on for days now.You just came in a bit
late...And then you go on about me being a troll. Hold your horses
guy. I'm just a person trying to voice my opinions.

deldred69 (2 hours ago) the point I am making is that the Beatles
weere and Irish band that wer manufactured on London's savill
row...This is undisputed fact, my friend. you should look at my other
coments on this and not just fly off the handle. it's created a lot of
response both on here and my personal wall. Getting down to our basics
and ingrediants is all what this is about and identifying what we and
indeed (they) really were...I mean, Obama in the States is Irish. This
is all I was saying. No offence"""

I came in here and said that I was Liverpool and I know I'm not
Irish!!

"My friend (With the Irish name Danny) Check out Daniel Boon the
Freemason and you'l see what I mean. Also, liverpool's becomming
itself now days with the spread of National Media. Even Cilla's got
an RP Liverpool voice for the Beeb. But yes, the powers that be (Let)
the Beatles run amock, but really they were manufactured in London's
savill row. But the Beatles blood is difinately Irish with the
exception of the 4th outsider beatle Rongo... "

saki

Feb 16, 2010, 1:51:24 PM2/16/10
The Walrus was Danny wrote:

> Been having a look at a discussion between some blokes on youtube....

Heavens, how contentious, and all over nothing.

At least three of the Beatles had Irish ancestry, and Ringo could have
had some as well, though no one seems to have done a thorough work-up
beyond his grandparents. Alan Clayson, in his bio of Ringo, asserted
that he was the only Beatle without Irish roots. I suspect you'd find
some if you went back another generation or two.

This site may be of some interest:

http://www.iol.ie/~beatlesireland/Irish%20Heritage/johnheritage.html

Peruse with caution, especially regarding George's "amazing family
tree", which almost certainly cannot be traced to Norman England. But
the more recent generations seem to be reasonably covered.

----
sa...@ucla.edu
http://sakionline.net

UsurperTom

Feb 16, 2010, 2:10:54 PM2/16/10
On Feb 16, 1:51 pm, saki <s...@ucla.edu> wrote:

> Alan Clayson, in his bio of Ringo, asserted that he was the only Beatle without Irish roots.

I was on an Aer Lingus flight to Ireland and there was a Beatle
channel for the in flight music. The narrator said it's appropriate to
play the Beatles on Ireland's national airline since all four members
claimed Irish ancestry. When Ringo was on "The Tonight Show" with Bill
O'Reilly in 2003, Ringo joked, "Ringo and O'Reilly, two Irish guys."

saki

Feb 16, 2010, 2:18:58 PM2/16/10

Maybe he knows something he wasn't telling Alan Clayson!

I suspect he does have Irish ancestry back before his grandparents'
time. His roots are solidly Liverpudlian at least three generations in
the past. Might be worth a look in the local census records to see
what's what....

----
sa...@ucla.edu
http://sakionline.net

marcus

Feb 16, 2010, 9:44:04 PM2/16/10
> s...@ucla.eduhttp://sakionline.net

Everybody is Irish four weeks from tomorrow.

saki

Feb 17, 2010, 12:03:20 AM2/17/10

Could be that this is his only claim to Irishness!

A good article is available here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1435135/Family-detective-Ringo-Starr.html

Looking at the same census documents I can't find evidence of any Irish
ancestry as far back as his great-great-grandparents. Perhaps there's
something further back, but at this time there's no way to know.

----
sa...@ucla.edu
http://sakionline.net

The Harmonic Wheel

Feb 17, 2010, 12:23:37 AM2/17/10
On Feb 16, 12:51 pm, saki <s...@ucla.edu> wrote:

> At least three of the Beatles had Irish ancestry, and Ringo could have

> had some as well...

No wonder Paul didn't giving Ireland back to the Irish!

UsurperTom

Feb 17, 2010, 11:22:00 AM2/17/10
On Feb 16, 2:18 pm, saki <s...@ucla.edu> wrote:

> I suspect he does have Irish ancestry back before his grandparents' time.

This is from a press conference in Dublin on November 7, 1963.

Q: "About your Irish backgrounds..."

PAUL: "Yeah, I think we've all got a bit."

Also, Ringo's great-great grandmother was a Conroy.

http://www.thebeatlesandireland.com/test_10.html

The only glimmer of an Irish connection might be found on Elsie’s side
of the family. Ringo’s great-great-grandmother, Mary Kate Conroy, was
the daughter of William Conroy from Toxteth. Conroy is a name commonly
found in Galway, Laois and Dublin and so it would seem that Ringo may
well have Irish roots on his mother’s side of the family.

Message has been deleted

saki

Feb 17, 2010, 1:01:41 PM2/17/10
UsurperTom wrote:

> Also, Ringo's great-great grandmother was a Conroy.
>
> http://www.thebeatlesandireland.com/test_10.html
>

> The only glimmer of an Irish connection might be found on Elsie�s side
> of the family. Ringo�s great-great-grandmother, Mary Kate Conroy, was

> the daughter of William Conroy from Toxteth. Conroy is a name commonly
> found in Galway, Laois and Dublin and so it would seem that Ringo may

> well have Irish roots on his mother�s side of the family.

Still speculative on the part of this writer, though. "May well" isn't
confirmation by any means, and there were Conroy surnames indigenous to
England as well.

Going back to census records for his great-great-great-grandfather
William Conroy, which is thus far the earliest information we have for
one of Ringo's ancestors, note that Conroy was still born in Toxteth and
not in Ireland. All available local records reveal no Irish ancestry but
rather very local to Liverpool.

Since English census records don't go back further than 1841 we'd have
to search for substantive evidence of any Irish roots in local parish
records, where marriage registries might (or might not) give birthplaces
other than the Toxteth area.

From the evidence we have for Ringo, no Irish ancestry can be determined.

----
sa...@ucla.edu
http://sakionline.net

UsurperTom

Feb 17, 2010, 6:21:57 PM2/17/10
On Feb 17, 11:27 am, PJ <palejewel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wasn't he just making a joke about the "O" in his name?

Possibly. He did name his record company Ring'O Records.

Fattuchus

Feb 17, 2010, 6:31:55 PM2/17/10

> > ----
> > s...@ucla.eduhttp://sakionline.net
>
> Everybody is Irish four weeks from tomorrow.-

So true.

I once had a teacher in school. His last name was Goldberg. He said
that when his grandparents immigrated to the US they changed their
name to be less ethnic and to sound "more American." Of course the
students asked him, "What was their real name?"

He paused for effect, and then answered, "O'Goldberg.".

小乃

Feb 17, 2010, 6:41:50 PM2/17/10

As they say in the North of England "Ringo has the Roman nose".

Fattuchus

Feb 17, 2010, 6:48:46 PM2/17/10
> As they say in the North of England "Ringo has the Roman nose".-

I think John has a Roman nose. IIRC in one of her books, Cynthia made
some remark that she liked his "Roman nose."

BlackMonk

Feb 17, 2010, 9:06:09 PM2/17/10

"Fattuchus" <fatt...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I believe you missed the straight line.

"Roman nose?"
"Yeah, it's Roman all over the place."

Fattuchus

Feb 18, 2010, 6:58:37 AM2/18/10
On Feb 17, 9:06 pm, "BlackMonk" <BlackM...@email.msn.com> wrote:
> "Fattuchus" <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Welcome back, stranger! Glad to see you.