List of Beatles Songs in Chronological Order?

Taciturn

Dec 4, 2001, 8:42:31 PM12/4/01
Can anyone provide a list of Beatles songs in the chronological order in
which they were likely written. Am most interested in their early years
to study the development of their song writing skills. If anyone can
put me onto a helpful related website that would be great, too. Thanks
in advance!
Pat

Donz5

Dec 5, 2001, 12:43:19 PM12/5/01
Taciturn taci...@earthlink.net wrote:

Hi! I have to write a 5(!) page paper on the Beatles. Could someone here
please, please give me the lyrics and chords to every Beatle song? The paper is
due TOMORROW(!) so could you e-mail me privately ASAP??!!

Thanks in advance!

Taciturn

Dec 5, 2001, 7:26:57 PM12/5/01
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Dec 2001 01:42:31 GMT, in article <3C0D7A92...@earthlink.net>,
> Taciturn stated:

> >Can anyone provide a list of Beatles songs in the chronological order in
> >which they were likely written.
>
> Yes. Here is such a list:
>
> One After 909
> Yesterday
> Sun King
>
> Oh. You wanted all of them?
>
> interstate5

This is a fairly simple request for someone who has the information: If
one had the information, one could simply click and drag the list of
songs, say from their inception as song writers to 1965, paste it in an
e-mail to this group and send it on; this would entail perhaps no more
than 60 lines of "precious" bandwidth here; and others who are
interested in early Beatles musicology and development (apparently you
are not) would benefit fromt the information. This is my first post on
this newsgroup, and if your response is representative of the depth of
understanding and interest here, I am not yet impressed. I will hope
that a serious response to this post may still bear fruit. Please,
please me.
P.

Taciturn

Dec 5, 2001, 7:28:28 PM12/5/01

This is a fairly simple request for someone who has the information: If

Lizz Holmans

Dec 5, 2001, 7:44:25 PM12/5/01
On Thu, 06 Dec 2001 00:26:57 GMT, Taciturn <taci...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>This is a fairly simple request for someone who has the information: If
>one had the information, one could simply click and drag the list of
>songs, say from their inception as song writers to 1965, paste it in an
>e-mail to this group and send it on; this would entail perhaps no more
>than 60 lines of "precious" bandwidth here; and others who are
>interested in early Beatles musicology and development (apparently you
>are not) would benefit fromt the information. This is my first post on
>this newsgroup, and if your response is representative of the depth of
>understanding and interest here, I am not yet impressed. I will hope
>that a serious response to this post may still bear fruit. Please,
>please me.

Actually, you are asking someone to do your homework for you. This
newsgroup does not exist for your convenience.

The information that you want isn't that hard to come by. Why don't
*you* do it instead of sniping at folks who have better things to do
than jump at your command?

Lizz 'any questions? www.meanyheads.com' Holmans

Lizz Holmans

Dec 5, 2001, 7:46:15 PM12/5/01
On Thu, 06 Dec 2001 00:28:28 GMT, Taciturn <taci...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>This is a fairly simple request for someone who has the information: If
>one had the information, one could simply click and drag the list of
>songs, say from their inception as song writers to 1965, paste it in an
>e-mail to this group and send it on; this would entail perhaps no more
>than 60 lines of "precious" bandwidth here; and others who are
>interested in early Beatles musicology and development (apparently you
>are not) would benefit fromt the information. This is my first post on
>this newsgroup, and if your response is representative of the depth of
>understanding and interest here, I am not yet impressed. I will hope
>that a serious response to this post may still bear fruit. Please,
>please me.

Following up every response to your post with the same ol' same ol' is
pretty poor net etiquette. If you want slaves, do what I did: have
children.

Lizz 'and I'm one of the *nice* ones' Holmans

nowhere man

Dec 5, 2001, 7:41:37 PM12/5/01
Lizz Holmans <di...@jackalope.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

LOL!

Donz5

Dec 5, 2001, 7:57:23 PM12/5/01
"Taciturn" <@mail.earthlink.net> (Unverified) wrote once again:

>>This is a fairly simple request for someone who has the information: If
one had the information, one could simply click and drag the list of
songs, say from their inception as song writers to 1965, paste it in an
e-mail to this group and send it on; this would entail perhaps no more
than 60 lines of "precious" bandwidth here; and others who are
interested in early Beatles musicology and development (apparently you
are not) would benefit fromt the information. This is my first post on
this newsgroup, and if your response is representative of the depth of
understanding and interest here, I am not yet impressed. I will hope
that a serious response to this post may still bear fruit. Please,
please me.<<

Well, this certainly got you closer to the information you seek.

Really -- do your own homework. It's far more fulfilling.

Golden Child

Dec 5, 2001, 8:05:14 PM12/5/01

"Donz5" <do...@aol.com> wrote in message

Perhaps this person doesn't realize that RMB get many, many such requests
each year, mostly from kids researching various aspects of the Beatles.

There's really no way to do everyone's homework for them. Perhaps some
surfing is in order.

Taciturn

Dec 5, 2001, 8:08:40 PM12/5/01

Hi Lizz. Let's try this again, since you're one of the nice ones. I
thought my request was fairly reasonable and fairly clear. I received
what I felt were unwarranted responses. First of all, I did not request
every song ever written. I stated that I was interested in the early
years. Secondly I did not ask for a list of the songs in the order in
which they were recorded. I think that is fairly well known. What I
was wondering was if anyone had the background on the order in which
some of those first songs were actually written. This would be of
interest to me so that I can begin my own personal studies. I'm an
older guy in my 60s. I was not speaking angrily in my posts but trying
to clear up the reasonableness of the request. I will explain a little
further. I could play music by ear to the radio along with music I hear
on the radio, generally, for many years, by finding the key and then
picking along in the scale ad-libbing to the music. Then I could usually
determine the chord progression for the song and the next time or so I
heard it on the radio I could play along with it. I did this for years.
You could say I played with most the best acts in music. But when the
Beatles hit the scene in late 1963, try though I might, I was stumped by
some of the things they were doing, what were those strange chords and
progressions. Years passed. Now at this time in my life I have a
little leisure time to study music, which I never had. I have been on
the internet trying to study much as you suggested, doing my homework, I
have especially found the works of Alan W. Pollack and the Soundcapes
sites most helpful in beginning my study. It would make more sense to
my study of the Beatles songwriting, however, if I could find out if any
interviews, books, websites, or people on this group may know if there
is in existence anywhere of the order in which the songs were actually
penned. Some had been around for years before recording I understand. I
would be happy to just trace the development of Lennon and McCartney
separately as they honed their craft in those first albums. Well I
meant no disrespect, but the two first responses I got sounded as if
they were disrespecting me and my intentions and that seemed uncalled
for so I sent them both the same response. Not looking for slaves, just
looking for kindred spirits.
Pat

jweb

Dec 5, 2001, 8:16:35 PM12/5/01
Donz5 wrote:

> Well, this certainly got you closer to the information you seek.
>
> Really -- do your own homework. It's far more fulfilling.

If anyone wants to know the order of when songs were recorded or things
like that, I can help. My Beatles Bootleg database can be sorted by
date, (like the day songs were recorded), but unfortunately I don;t have
any info on when songs were *written*.

And here I was ready to fire that database up again!!

--
-John W.
"Weber's style of music is so intense, I spontaneously combusted in

Lizz Holmans

Dec 5, 2001, 8:32:31 PM12/5/01
On Thu, 06 Dec 2001 01:08:40 GMT, Taciturn <taci...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

Try Walter Everett's books, 'The Beatles as Musicians'. Volume 2,
which deals with their early days, has just recently been published.
It's a comprehensive musicological study and a damn good read. So's
Vol. 1, for that matter.

Lizz 'and I expect to be credited for at least half the grade you get'
Holmans
>Pat

Taciturn

Dec 5, 2001, 8:56:09 PM12/5/01

Thanks anyway. It's on the internet too at The Official Beatles' Canon
at Soundscapes' Web site. Appreciate the willingness.
Pat

Taciturn

Dec 5, 2001, 9:02:30 PM12/5/01

Thank you, Liz. I will look for this. I think its an interesting
problem. A song that was recorded on their first album may have been
written in some club after hours back in Hamburg Germany and so the
order of recordings is not so meaningful as the order of writing would
be. Chuckle regarding credits and grades. I gave up trying to make the
grade for other people years ago. Found personal pursuits to be the
best education -- follow your bliss, so to speak. Thanks again.
Pat

Taciturn

Dec 5, 2001, 9:09:34 PM12/5/01
jweb wrote:

> "Donz5" <do...@aol.com> wrote in message news:20011205124319...@mb-fo.aol.com...
> Hi! My name is John Weber of Wisconsin. I am a 31 year old loser.
> I need to fuck some tight teen pussy to lose my virginity.
> I found out the girl I badly want to fuck, my teen dream Trisha Lawrence is
> a 40 year old crossdressing man.
> Please help me. ASAP.

Is something wrong with your hand?

Lizz Holmans

Dec 5, 2001, 9:19:30 PM12/5/01
On Thu, 06 Dec 2001 02:09:34 GMT, Taciturn <taci...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Is something wrong with your hand?

Taciturn (may I call you Taz?), meet Mr. Anonymous Coredump, whose
sole mission in rec.music.beatles is to slander regular posters with
forgeries like this one. Always check the headers--no one in his right
mind would use an anonymous remailer (like this post did) and then
sign his real name.

Lizz 'it's a forgery, hands down' Holmans

Donz5

Dec 5, 2001, 9:42:24 PM12/5/01
Taciturn <taci...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>What I
>was wondering was if anyone had the background on the order in which
>some of those first songs were actually written. This would be of
>interest to me so that I can begin my own personal studies.

Some of us do. I spent a couple of years in the early '80s compiling every
known song/song idea/fragment, etc. and any relevant quote on them by the
composer in every source I could find.

You have no idea how enriching it was to do all of this research on one's own.

Learned a hell of a lot when the songs were first conceived/written. And when
certain songs come up for discussion in here, and I might have something to add
to it, I'll try to provide what I know.

So, instead of simply asking for someone to provide for you everything that
they've spent years researching themselves (and then getting so personally
insulted when it's not so readily forthcoming), try, as you wrote yourself, to
follow your own bliss. You'll be amazed.

Also, friendly suggestion: paragraph breaks.

Taciturn

Dec 5, 2001, 10:32:22 PM12/5/01

Thanks. I prefer the friendly basis, myself. I think that's where I
started. Don't mind the suggestions, either. The way I feel about
newsgroups is that if someone wants to share they will. If they don't,
they won't. And it never hurts to ask.

I'm sure all your work was very rewarding it sounds like quite an
intriquing project. The fascinating thing about projects is that one
thing leads to another and quite takes on a life of its own, I find.

Well, regarding my project: Let's try for one song. Of all the songs
that have been recorded by the Beatles, which is thought to be the first
one written? I know that "Love Me Do" was the first one they recorded.
I tend to lean toward "Baby It's You" intuitively, however as far as
first one written. My interest isn't historical, I'm trying to get an
understanding of their songwriting evolution, and so I needed a list if
it existed. Dig?
Pat

Taciturn

Dec 5, 2001, 10:41:56 PM12/5/01

Ah. Thanks for that explanation. It seems he got me shortly after you
wrote this or after I wrote that. I didn't know Turrets Syndrome could
be manifested over an e-mail. Some people are easily amused. I think he
might enjoy honey and feathers, frankly.
Pat

Donz5

Dec 5, 2001, 10:58:00 PM12/5/01
Taciturn taci...@earthlink.net wrote:

>>Well, regarding my project: Let's try for one song. Of all the songs
that have been recorded by the Beatles, which is thought to be the first
one written? I know that "Love Me Do" was the first one they recorded.
I tend to lean toward "Baby It's You" intuitively, however as far as
first one written. My interest isn't historical, I'm trying to get an
understanding of their songwriting evolution, and so I needed a list if
it existed. Dig?<<

First, it might help somewhat if you had a fuller grasp of what songs the
Beatles wrote and what songs they covered. "Baby It's You" was written by Hal
David, Burt Bacharach and Barney Williams, first made a hit by the Shirelles in
late 1961.

Second, you might not want to limit songs that the group recorded (in an
official EMI sense). John and Paul said that they wrote either 50 or 100 songs
(depending on the interview) very early on in their partnership, many of which
were never "officially" recorded. Some were. For example:

1. I Lost My Little Girl - written by Paul in 1956; captured on tape during the
1/69 sessions, radio interviews, and Paul's MTV "Unplugged" telecast.

2. I Call Your Name - written by John: "one of my first attempts at a song."

3. Hello Little Girl - In one interview, John says it was his "first song" but
in another, "one of the first songs I ever finished." Recorded as one of the
Decca demos 1/1/62 and later covered by the Foremost.

4. Too Bad About Sorrows - excerpted during the 1/69 sessions
5. Just Fun - as above
6. I'll Wait Until Tomorrow - as above
7. Won't You Please Say Goodbye - as above
8. Wake up in the Morning - as above
[6.- 8. titles a guess]

8. What Goes On - according to John, written while still a Quarreyman
9. One After 909 - written after George joined the group, perhaps between
October 1958 to February 1959

10. Love Me Do - another of the "50 to 100" songs.
11. Suicide - Paul claims he started writing this at 15, thus,
mid-1957-mid-1958
12. In Spite of All the Danger - mid 1958
13. Hot as Sun - another Paul from 1958-59
14. When I'm 64 - Paul at age 16, he says.
15. A World Without Love- Paul at 16 or 17
16. I'll Follow the Sun - John: "another early McCartney... almost before
Beatles."
17. Catswalk - performed at home in 1960 (on bootlegs); later covered as
Catcall by Chris Barber Band in 1967.
18. You'll Be Mine - another Quarreyman home recording

Look for the bootleg CD "Wildcat" that includes much of the Quarreymen home
recordings.

Taciturn

Dec 6, 2001, 12:06:17 AM12/6/01

Oh, very good. There is some very helpful stuff here.

Thanks for catching that cover song. I thought I had weeded out all 24
covers but apparently I still had this snag in there. (Hard to believe
that simple little ditty was by Bacharach, too.)

You're quite right about the EMI recordings, too. I'm going to have to

This is going to be a history study after all, isn't it?

I would be interested to see how much the original versions of these
songs changed by the time they were later recorded, too. I expect they
were "souped-up" somewhat -- "I Call Your Name," for example (this one
always reminded me of "Scotch and Soda," though I don't know which came
first).

I would like to hear the Quarrymen recordings, see some sheet music if
it exists; if nothing else, the lyrics and chord progressions might be
interesting.

It seems strange to me that the songs they might be writing at any point
in their early development would be more sophisticated then the ones
they themselves were covering in their early groups.

Well, thanks for the helpful input here.

Pat

Donz5

Dec 6, 2001, 12:59:58 AM12/6/01
Taciturn taci...@earthlink.net wrote:

>I would be interested to see how much the original versions of these
>songs changed by the time they were later recorded, too.

Comparisons are possible for the following songs:

I'll Follow the Sun

One After 909
Catswalk/Catcall

paramucho

Dec 6, 2001, 8:48:11 PM12/6/01
On Wed, 05 Dec 2001 01:42:31 GMT, Taciturn <taci...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

Try Alan Pollack's "Notes On" series at http://www.recmusicbeatles.com

Ian MacDonald's REVOLUTION IN THE HEAD has a chronological ordering of
the songs.

Here's a very crude overview from my working notes.

Session overview with songs per month:

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
total 29* 26 7 19 13 28 21 13 20 35 4 2 == about 210
1962 4 0 4 2 not counted
1963 14 1 2 8 2 6 2 35
1964 3 5 3 1 7 3 4 11 37
1965 11 2 7 13 3 36
1966 10 6 3 5 1 1 2 17 Revolver
1967 1 7 4 2 4* 1 1 4 2* 24
1968 1 3 (i n d i a) 6 7 6* 7 5 8 36
1969 *** 4 2 8 1 25* avg 30

> [...]
>?? In My Life
> We Can Work It Out
> Nowhere Man
> I'm Looking Through You
> Michelle
> What Goes On
> 12-Bar Original
> Think For Yourself
>
>1966 Jan Feb Mar Apr 16
> The Void
> Gotta Get You..
> Love You To
> Paperback Writer
> Rain
> Dr. Robert
> And Your Bird
> Taxman
> I'm Only Sleeping
> Eleanor Rigby
>
> May 7 Jun 12 Jul Aug
> (Sleeping) I Want To Tell
> For No One Good Day Sunshine
> (Taxman) Here There &
> (Got To Get..) (Got To Get..)
> Yellow Sub. She Said
>

> Sep Oct Nov Dec
> Strawberry Fields
> When I'm 64
> Penny Lane
>
>1967 Jan Feb Mar Apr
> Day In The Life Sgt Pepper Getting Better
> Good Morning She's Leaving Home
> Only A Northern Within You
> Mr Kite With A Little Help
> Fixing A Hole Sgt Pepper Reprise
> Lovely Rita [Paul in U.S.]
> Lucy Magical Mystery Tour
>

> May Jun Jul Aug
> Jams All You Need Is Love Your Mother Should...
> Baby You're A Rich Man
> All Together Now
> You Know My Name
> All Too Much
>
> Sep Oct Nov Dec
> I Am The Walrus Hello Goodbye Wonderwall
> Blue Jay Way Shirley's Wild
> Flying [Jessie's Dream]
> Fool On The Hill
>
>1968 Jan Feb Mar Apr
> The Inner Light
> Lady Madonna
> Across The Universe
> Hey Bulldog
>

>[Eight Track]
> May Jun Jul Aug
> Harrison demos Revolution 1 Ob La Di Mother Nature's Son
> ?Two Virgins Don't Pass Me By Revolution Yer Blues
> Revolution 9 Cry Baby Cry Rocky Racoon
> Blackbird Helter Skelter Wild Honey Pie
> Monkey Sexy Sadie [Starr quits]
> Goodnight While My Guitar Back In The USSR
> Hey Jude Dear Prudence
> [Starr returns]
>
> Sep Oct Nov Dec
> [Guitar] [Rock Circus]
> [Helter Skelter]
> Glass Onion Honey Pie
> I Will Savoy Truffle
> Birthday Martha My Dear
> Piggies Long Long Long
> Happiness I'm So Tired
> Bungalow Bill
> Why Don't We Do
> Julia
>
>1969 Jan Feb Mar Apr
> [Get Back...] [Cambridge] Ballad Of John...
> I Want You [Magic Christian] Old Brown Shoe

Ian

D.T. Smith

Dec 7, 2001, 7:46:53 PM12/7/01
Isn't it funny how people complain about abusing bandwidth
and yet they include the entire previous post in their reply,
even if it has nothing to do with their answer.

Nice to hear there are other "play by ear" musicians out there.
No wonder our original LPs wore out while we played them over
and over and over again trying to learn the chords.

Taciturn

Dec 11, 2001, 8:37:05 AM12/11/01

You remember well. Then we proceeded to wear out the grooves in our
tape decks. ; >
Taciturn

Taciturn

Dec 11, 2001, 8:43:16 AM12/11/01
paramucho wrote:
etc.

Thanks for this. I appreciate your effort.
Taciturn