Amy Winehouse DEAD

Sid Bonfire

Jul 23, 2011, 12:49:01 PM7/23/11

Crisstti

Jul 23, 2011, 3:14:21 PM7/23/11
On Jul 23, 12:49 pm, Sid Bonfire <marog...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14262237

So sad. She was so talented. Hope she is at least at peace now, and
that her family and loved ones can find it too here.

RIP.

AllaBest

Jul 23, 2011, 3:22:08 PM7/23/11

Really, Crisstti!

This just breaks my heart!

She was so talented!

Relive her Grammy performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQtE2RrDAF8

Message has been deleted

JV

Jul 23, 2011, 4:45:47 PM7/23/11
On Jul 23, 4:32 pm, "JV" <marog...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 7/23/2011 12:49 PM, Sid Bonfire wrote:
>
> >http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14262237
>
> What does this have to do with the Beatles you silly fucktard?

You stole my identity, Nick.

johnty

Jul 23, 2011, 4:35:09 PM7/23/11
On Jul 23, 5:49 pm, Sid Bonfire <marog...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14262237

Another member for the 27 club.

Given her lifestyle it doesn't come as a surprise, sad though it is.

Crisstti

Jul 23, 2011, 5:29:30 PM7/23/11

I was surprised, though.

Fattuchus

Jul 23, 2011, 6:29:49 PM7/23/11
On Jul 23, 12:49 pm, Sid Bonfire <marog...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14262237

I just heard the terrible news. Heartbreaking. She had so much to
live for.

Frank from Deeeetroit

Jul 23, 2011, 8:03:11 PM7/23/11
On Jul 23, 12:49 pm, Sid Bonfire <marog...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14262237

Sad news, but I do not think anyone is surprised. She was a stand
alone female artist with her talent, way above all of the lip-sync,
computer processed female singers of the day.

Frank

PS - Will be sitting in my second row seat for Macca this time
tomorrow evening at Comerica Park.

Fattuchus

Jul 23, 2011, 8:07:39 PM7/23/11
On Jul 23, 12:49 pm, Sid Bonfire <marog...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14262237

Here's one way to remember Amy and her talent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brp515JORqk&feature=related

Amy does a lovely jazz version of All My Loving.

Frank from Deeeetroit

Jul 23, 2011, 10:50:07 PM7/23/11

What a voice at such a young age. Amy had a Helen Shapiro influenced
hairstyle and eye make-up thing. There was a whole lot of un-used
future in her.

Nice version of All My Loving.

Frank

who?

Jul 23, 2011, 11:14:08 PM7/23/11
On Jul 23, 11:49 am, Sid Bonfire <marog...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14262237

I saw it first. I just didn't post it here.

who?

Jul 23, 2011, 11:16:09 PM7/23/11
On Jul 23, 2:14 pm, Crisstti <crissttigalda...@gmail.com> wrote:

I kept seeing her name in the headlines, but I still have
no clue about her music.

Nil

Jul 24, 2011, 12:08:24 AM7/24/11
On 23 Jul 2011, "who?" <yourimag...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
rec.music.beatles:

> I kept seeing her name in the headlines, but I still have
> no clue about her music.

There's an easy remedy for that, you know.

Jim Beam

Jul 24, 2011, 1:08:42 AM7/24/11

You ain't missing much.

Jim Beam

Jul 24, 2011, 1:07:41 AM7/24/11
On Jul 23, 4:35 pm, johnty <john...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 23, 5:49 pm, Sid Bonfire <marog...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14262237
>
> Another member for the 27 club.

Only in age, not talent.

> Given her lifestyle it doesn't come as a surprise, sad though it is.

Those demons are a bastard to shake loose.

Fattuchus

Jul 24, 2011, 4:56:01 AM7/24/11
On Jul 23, 10:50 pm, Frank from Deeeetroit <dadurwe...@voyager.net>
wrote:

Yes, she reminded me of Helen Shapiro, although I don't know if
Shapiro was truly one of her influences.

Fattuchus

Jul 24, 2011, 4:57:35 AM7/24/11

I enjoyed her music. For a 21st century star, Amy was very unique. A
great voice and a blend of jazz, soul and early 1960's music.

topaz

Jul 24, 2011, 8:59:57 AM7/24/11
On Jul 23, 8:03 pm, Frank from Deeeetroit <dadurwe...@voyager.net>
wrote:

I hope you had a fantastic time at the concert!!!

topaz

Jul 24, 2011, 9:01:48 AM7/24/11
On Jul 23, 4:35 pm, johnty <john...@hotmail.com> wrote:

You took the words out of my mouth....she has joined the 27 club, very
tragic.
Well they have a hell of a band up there in heaven

topaz

Jul 24, 2011, 9:04:41 AM7/24/11

Drugs, sex and rock and roll.....not necessarily a life prolonging
combination.
Perhaps we should be grateful that more rockers do not die this way.
I suppose I am assuming drugs has something to do with this untimely
death

Reminds me of the song Rockstar by Nickelback

who?

Jul 24, 2011, 9:56:49 AM7/24/11
On Jul 23, 11:08 pm, Nil <redno...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
> On 23 Jul 2011, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in

> rec.music.beatles:
>
> > I kept seeing her name in the headlines, but I still have
> > no clue about her music.
>
> There's an easy remedy for that, you know.

:-)

who?

Jul 24, 2011, 9:58:53 AM7/24/11

I listened to her sing 3 songs in youtube. The music is good.
Didn't care for her voice. You're right.

Crisstti

Jul 24, 2011, 2:37:42 PM7/24/11
On Jul 23, 8:07 pm, Fattuchus <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

That was nice, thanks for posting it :)

The Nice Mean Man

Jul 24, 2011, 2:53:46 PM7/24/11
On Jul 23, 12:49 pm, Sid Bonfire <marog...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14262237

La-De-La-De-Da...

Who the fuck cares? Just another commercialized twat created by the
music industry for the kiddies

The Nice Mean Man

johnty

Jul 24, 2011, 6:24:42 PM7/24/11
On Jul 24, 6:07 am, Jim Beam <Tenbeers1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jul 23, 4:35 pm, johnty <john...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jul 23, 5:49 pm, Sid Bonfire <marog...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > >http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14262237
>
> > Another member for the 27 club.
>
> Only in age, not talent.

Maybe, but dying young guarantees that, given time, they will become
the greatest ever in some minds.

really real

Jul 24, 2011, 6:57:15 PM7/24/11

> Who the fuck cares? Just another commercialized twat created by the
> music industry for the kiddies

Actually, I thought Amy was incredibly talented. She sang with the
authority of a great 60s soul singer, and had modern upbeat & clever
lyrics. I thought she was one of the best things that has happened to
music this century

AllaBest

Jul 25, 2011, 12:44:02 AM7/25/11

Absolutely!

She had it the max!

What has happened is very sad.

Maybe there will be a reason for her death that we have not supposed.

AllaBest

Jul 25, 2011, 12:42:22 AM7/25/11

Not really.

Not always.

gemjack

Jul 25, 2011, 8:23:34 AM7/25/11
On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 09:49:01 -0700 (PDT), Sid Bonfire
<maro...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14262237

Yes, who could have ever seen this coming?

-gj

Fattuchus

Jul 25, 2011, 11:52:45 AM7/25/11

Glad you liked it.

Fattuchus

Jul 25, 2011, 11:54:00 AM7/25/11

I agree with you, really real. I remember I had never heard of her
until a year or
two ago when you mentioned her to me here. Glad you mentioned Amy and
her
wonderful music.

moonpie

Jul 25, 2011, 12:04:12 PM7/25/11

Is it "her" music? I dont know anything about her. Did she write it
all, arrange it, play it?

Or was she a singer who showed up and sang what the producer told her
to?

Too many are like that... but some are not.

really real

Jul 25, 2011, 1:27:57 PM7/25/11

> Is it "her" music? I dont know anything about her. Did she write it
> all, arrange it, play it?
>
> Or was she a singer who showed up and sang what the producer told her
> to?
>
> Too many are like that... but some are not.

From today's NYTs

While Ms. Winehouse had many songwriting collaborators on “Frank,” her
lyrics already showed her acerbic, unsparing eye on both the people she
observed and herself. “I Heard Love Is Blind,” written on her own, has a
chord progression like a Tin Pan Alley ballad, with lyrics that describe
a tryst with someone who looked like her boyfriend, and try to explain
how it wasn’t really infidelity: “You left me here alone, I drank so
much and needed to touch/Don’t overreact, I pretended he was you/ You
wouldn’t want me to be lonely.”

That friction between retro music and bluntly contemporary lyrics — to
the point of raunch — was perfected on “Back to Black.” On that album
Ms. Winehouse worked with a D.J.-turned producer, Mark Ronson, who could
recreate the anatomy of vintage soul and R&B down to the studio room
tone. (The surprise of hearing cuss words in a classic soul setting was
still a fertile enough strategy, years later, to get Cee Lo Green
nominated for record and song of the year at the Grammy Awards this year
for what was called “The Song Otherwise Known as ‘Forget You.’ ”)

In songs she wrote largely on her own Ms. Winehouse sang about her
misery after a breakup, and about temptations she could not fight off:
alcohol, drugs, sex and addict boyfriends. But with girl-group harmonies
around her, and arrangements harking back to Motown, Stax and ska, she
sounded shrewd and knowing, a woman who recognized all her own
weaknesses and could see beyond them. Her beehive hairdos and
out-to-there eyelashes only made her appear more amused, more in
control, at least at the beginning.

In her music Ms. Winehouse could sketch out her troubles and laugh them
off, with a resilient beat and that insouciant flutter in her voice.
Outside the recording studio, as a human being separate from her art,
she couldn’t do that. Her songs, it turned out, would be wiser than she was.

Fattuchus

Jul 25, 2011, 3:32:21 PM7/25/11
On Jul 25, 12:04 pm, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 08:54:00 -0700 (PDT), Fattuchus

AFAIK, Amy wrote or co wrote a lot of her material; also, unlike some
pop stars, she was not "manufactured."
Her musical style and her appearance was her choice.

moonpie

Jul 25, 2011, 4:03:19 PM7/25/11
On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 10:27:57 -0700, really real <reall...@shaw.ca>
wrote:

what did she play? piano? guitar? both? neither?

Fattuchus

Jul 25, 2011, 4:58:01 PM7/25/11
On Jul 25, 4:03 pm, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 10:27:57 -0700, really real <reallyr...@shaw.ca>
> what did she play? piano? guitar? both? neither?-

According to her bios, Amy played guitar. But when she performed live
she just sang.

Fattuchus

Jul 25, 2011, 5:01:28 PM7/25/11
> she just sang.-

Here is one bio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Winehouse

Fattuchus

Jul 25, 2011, 5:08:23 PM7/25/11

This must be an early performance. I'm guessing . . . . she must have
been about 20 here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8NapCCrTEU&feature=related

What an incredible voice.

Jim Beam

Jul 25, 2011, 7:48:51 PM7/25/11
> Her musical style and her appearance was her choice.- Hide quoted text -

Her song "Rehab" sounds exactly like "The Name Game",
with different words.

marcuscp

Jul 25, 2011, 10:07:06 PM7/25/11

Well, they both feature baritone saxes and a soul beat so that must be
true. Different melody and chords are merely minor matters, both songs
are sung by chicks and both are in the key of C. Guilty as charged, JB.

who?

Jul 25, 2011, 10:25:42 PM7/25/11

I just listened to 4 songs from her Back to Black CD.
It's not her voice that I like so much, it's the music.
She only recorded 2 CD's?

really real

Jul 25, 2011, 10:41:35 PM7/25/11

> Her song "Rehab" sounds exactly like "The Name Game",
> with different words.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Take the Name Game, slow it down, give it smart lyrics, sing it sultry.

What's not to like?

Fattuchus

Jul 26, 2011, 12:09:34 AM7/26/11

Yes, two official CD's. IIRC Winehouse's first one was called "Frank"
and it was quite successful in England. I think it eventually went
platinum. She was about 19 or 20 when she recorded that one.

The second one, Back to Black, made her an international sensation.
She was nominated for 6 Grammies for that one and won 5.

The Nice Mean Man

Jul 26, 2011, 1:35:47 AM7/26/11
On Jul 24, 6:57 pm, really real <reallyr...@shaw.ca> wrote:

Shouldn't you be getting ready for bed-time?

TNMM

marcuscp

Jul 26, 2011, 1:43:28 AM7/26/11

Here's some bedtime reading for you Herr TNMM;
http://www.slate.com/id/2299967/?wpisrc=obinsite

Jim Beam

Jul 26, 2011, 6:37:04 AM7/26/11

Same song different words.

Jim Beam

Jul 26, 2011, 6:38:42 AM7/26/11
> are sung by chicks and both are in the key of C. Guilty as charged, JB.- Hide quoted text -

Inter-change the words with the music and it's the same.

marcuscp

Jul 26, 2011, 6:51:57 AM7/26/11

Yeah..........right, except "TNG' has only 2 chords doing basically
the same pattern throughout while "R", off the top of my head as I hum
it to myself, has at least 6 and distinct sections, to wit. But apart
from that they're identical, like Get Back and Highway to Hell.

King Size Johnson

Jul 26, 2011, 9:48:08 AM7/26/11
On Jul 23, 6:29 pm, Fattuchus <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I just heard the terrible news.  Heartbreaking.   She had so much to
> live for.

Yeah, there were so many drugs that she hadn't abused yet. Also, she
hadn't redone every Motown hit yet.

My condolences to the London crack dealers.

mcnews

Jul 26, 2011, 9:49:26 AM7/26/11
On Jul 23, 12:49 pm, Sid Bonfire <marog...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14262237

if you enjoy new bluesy fem artists try hope waits.

Dave The Rave

Jul 26, 2011, 2:11:31 PM7/26/11
On Jul 23, 4:35 pm, johnty <john...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 23, 5:49 pm, Sid Bonfire <marog...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14262237
>
> Another member for the 27 club.
>
> Given her lifestyle it doesn't come as a surprise, sad though it is.

There is a book titled "27" (I don't have all the publ. info) but it
details a large number of famous people that died at 27. Not all
muscians.

Dave The Rave

Fattuchus

Jul 26, 2011, 5:56:30 PM7/26/11

Here's an early clip of Amy singing and playing guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPfyBFri8G8&feature=related

Fattuchus

Jul 26, 2011, 5:59:00 PM7/26/11

Fattuchus

Jul 26, 2011, 6:05:22 PM7/26/11

Interview with Amy. Interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-JUu6fjHzY&NR=1

The Nice Mean Man

Jul 27, 2011, 1:09:26 AM7/27/11

Sorry.... I never read the links of an enemy. Know why....? Because
you WANT me to. :)

TNMM

johnty

Jul 27, 2011, 4:01:13 AM7/27/11

> Not really.

Yes, really. It's already happening

gemjack

Jul 27, 2011, 8:10:50 AM7/27/11

Have to say, I'm impressed for the first time with her.

-gj

marcuscp

Jul 27, 2011, 8:15:15 AM7/27/11

Curses, foiled again!

Jim Beam

Jul 27, 2011, 8:33:24 PM7/27/11
> from that they're identical, like Get Back and Highway to Hell.- Hide quoted text -

You are deaf, listen to them back to back.

Jim Beam

Jul 27, 2011, 8:31:38 PM7/27/11
On Jul 25, 10:07 pm, marcuscp <phelanmar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> are sung by chicks and both are in the key of C. Guilty as charged, JB.- Hide quoted text -

Then George should not have been found not guilty.
Take the earplugs out and listen to both songs.
Then tell me that "Rehab" and the "The Name Game" don't sound the same.

Nil

Jul 27, 2011, 9:22:09 PM7/27/11
On 27 Jul 2011, Jim Beam <Tenbee...@yahoo.com> wrote in
rec.music.beatles:

> Then George should not have been found not guilty.
> Take the earplugs out and listen to both songs.
> Then tell me that "Rehab" and the "The Name Game" don't sound the
> same.

OK: They don't sound the same. At all. I say you're projecting.

There's a superficial resemblence in the horn section and general
approach of the rhythm section, but the melody and harmony are
completely different.

p.s. George should not have been found guilty, but that's irrelevent to
this discussion.

Jim Beam

Jul 29, 2011, 9:11:28 PM7/29/11
On Jul 27, 9:22 pm, Nil <redno...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
> On 27 Jul 2011, Jim Beam <Tenbeers1...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> rec.music.beatles:
>
> > Then George should not have been found not guilty.
> > Take the earplugs out and listen to both songs.
> > Then tell me that "Rehab" and the "The Name Game" don't sound the
> > same.
>
> OK: They don't sound the same. At all. I say you're projecting.
>
> There's a superficial resemblence in the horn section and general
> approach of the rhythm section, but the melody and harmony are
> completely different.

Not a musician, as a listener, "Rehab" is more of a rip-off than,
"My Sweet Lord" is to "He So Fine".

> p.s. George should not have been found guilty, but that's irrelevent to
> this discussion.

That is what I wanted to say, but fucked-up.

BlackMonk

Jul 30, 2011, 1:38:40 AM7/30/11

There is a vague similarity, but that's it and the similarity only lasts
for a few seconds. One could just as easily say it sounds "just like "A
Certain Girl" because it's reminiscent of that for a few seconds, too.
It's just a stylistic thing.

The Nice Mean Man

Jul 30, 2011, 2:27:54 AM7/30/11
On Jul 24, 6:57 pm, really real <reallyr...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> > Who the fuck cares? Just another commercialized twat created by the
> > music industry for the kiddies
>
> Actually, I thought Amy was incredibly talented. She sang with the
> authority of a great 60s soul singer, and had modern upbeat & clever
> lyrics. I thought she was one of the best things that has happened to
> music this century

I just listened the the whole of Frank, and all I can say is... she
out-Badus even Erykah. Not bad for her type. No, not bad at all..

TNMM

The Nice Mean Man

Jul 30, 2011, 2:47:46 AM7/30/11
On Jul 27, 9:22 pm, Nil <redno...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
> On 27 Jul 2011, Jim Beam <Tenbeers1...@yahoo.com> wrote in

Fuck YOU, you sorry rat-turd asshole. Got that.......??? Fuck YOU.

Obama is a nigger.

A NIGGER.

A N-I-G-G-E-R.

Like in "sorry" and "lazy" and "dirty" and "illegitimate” and
"animalistic" and "crime-ridden" and "hopeless" and "inferior" and
"untrustworthy" and "stupid" and "primitive" and "violent" and
hateful" and "loathsome" and "worthless" and "vile" and “evil” and
“sorry” and “murderous” and “thankless” and “uppity” and “sloven” and
“simple-minded” and “burdensome on the rest of humanity"
and........."unworthy of human treatment or sympathy from the entire
combined assemblage of humanity on the face of the earth"..

Dig....??

Oh, yeah... I forgot... and "smells bad", too.

Bet you like it, though.

Nigger-lover

The Nice Mean Man