Greatest rock vocalists of all time

Ivan "Maximus" Lendl

Nov 18, 2009, 7:45:54 PM11/18/09
http://www.nme.com/news/nme/41860

Nice to see Jon Anderson on the list. I think he has an amazing, even
if it is slightly feminine. Of course Plant is the best! I also like
Gillan's voice, Bowie's and Mercury's voice as well. I am not a big
fan of Daltrey or Tyler or Jagger's voice but I can understand why
they are on the list. What about Syd Barrett?

I am not sure how David Coverdale, Jon Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen,
Joe Cocker and Bono got in there.

1. Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)
2. Freddie Mercury (Queen)
3. Paul Rodgers (Free/Bad Company)
4. Ian Gillan (Deep Purple)
5. Roger Daltrey (The Who)
6. David Coverdale (Whitesnake)
7. Axl Rose (Guns N' Roses)
8. Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
9. Mick Jagger (The Rolling Stones)
10. Bon Scott (AC/DC)
11. David Bowie
12. Jon Bon Jovi (Bon Jovi)
13. Steven Tyler (Aerosmith)
14. Jon Anderson (Yes)
15. Bruce Springsteen
16. Joe Cocker
17. Ozzy Osbourne (Black Sabbath)
18. Bono (U2)
19. Peter Gabriel
20. James Hetfield (Metallica)

Ivan "Maximus" Lendl

Nov 18, 2009, 7:48:18 PM11/18/09
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/BLABBERMOUTH.NET/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=111758

According to U.K.'s Daily Mail, LED ZEPPELIN's Robert Plant has topped
a poll of the greatest voices in rock organized by digital radio
station Planet Rock. QUEEN's Freddie Mercury came second, Paul Rodgers
of FREE came next while THE WHO frontman Roger Daltrey came fifth.

The only female voice on the list was that of Janis Joplin.

"The Greatest Voice in Rock Top 40" was compiled by the station's DJs,
presenters and listeners, plus musicians, rock critics and experts
such as Tony Iommi from BLACK SABBATH, Phil Manzanera from ROXY MUSIC,
Ian Anderson from YES and LED ZEPPELIN biographer Mick Wall.

Planet Rock Programming Director Trevor White said: "It's great to see
Britain has produced the top three greatest rock vocalists of all
time."

The "Top 40 Greatest Voices in Rock," according to Planet Rock:

01. Robert Plant (LED ZEPPELIN)
02. Freddie Mercury (QUEEN)
03. Paul Rodgers (FREE, BAD COMPANY)
04. Ian Gillan (DEEP PURPLE)
05. Roger Daltrey (THE WHO)
06. David Coverdale (WHITESNAKE)
07. Axl Rose (GUNS N' ROSES)
08. Bruce Dickinson (IRON MAIDEN)
09. Mick Jagger (THE ROLLING STONES)

10. Bon Scott (AC/DC)
11. David Bowie

12. Jon Bon Jovi (BON JOVI)
13. Steven Tyler (AEROSMITH)
14. Jon Anderson (YES)

15. Bruce Springsteen
16. Joe Cocker
17. Ozzy Osbourne

18. Bono (U2)
19. Peter Gabriel

20. James Hetfield (METALLICA)
21. Janis Joplin
22. Chris Cornell (AUDIOSLAVE / SOUNDGARDEN)
23. Roger Chapman (FAMILY)
24. Phil Lynott (THIN LIZZY)
25. Glenn Hughes (DEEP PURPLE)
26. Steve Perry (JOURNEY)
27. Jim Morrison (THE DOORS)
28. Alex Harvey (THE SENSATIONAL ALEX HARVEY BAND)
29. Rob Halford (JUDAS PRIEST)
30. Ronnie James Dio (DIO)
31. Sammy Hagar (VAN HALEN)
32. Meat Loaf
33. Alice Cooper
34. Geddy Lee (RUSH)
35. Brian Johnson (AC/DC)
36. David Gilmour (PINK FLOYD)
37. Fish (MARILLION)
38. Dave Lee Roth (VAN HALEN)
39. Biff Byford (SAXON)
40. Neil Young

Dale Houstman

Nov 18, 2009, 7:49:07 PM11/18/09

I would like to see Roky Erickson on that list: he had an amazing voice.

dmh

Ivan "Maximus" Lendl

Nov 18, 2009, 7:52:09 PM11/18/09
3 Deep Purple singers made the list... wow. Ian Gillan, David
Coverdale and Glen Hughes. How about Rod Evans. I prefer him over
Coverdale.

bubba

Nov 18, 2009, 8:20:40 PM11/18/09
On Nov 18, 6:45 pm, "Ivan \"Maximus\" Lendl" <zepflo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

SUCK MY VAGINA RAJA

bubba

Nov 18, 2009, 8:21:08 PM11/18/09
On Nov 18, 6:48 pm, "Ivan \"Maximus\" Lendl" <zepflo...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/BLABBERMOUTH.NET/news.aspx?mode=Arti...

SUCK MY VAGINA RAJA

bubba

Nov 18, 2009, 8:21:17 PM11/18/09
On Nov 18, 6:52 pm, "Ivan \"Maximus\" Lendl" <zepflo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> 3 Deep Purple singers made the list... wow. Ian Gillan, David
> Coverdale and Glen Hughes. How about Rod Evans. I prefer him over
> Coverdale.

SUCK MY VAGINA RAJA

globular

Nov 18, 2009, 8:30:20 PM11/18/09
Ivan "Maximus" Lendl wrote:
> http://www.nme.com/news/nme/41860
>
> Nice to see Jon Anderson on the list. I think he has an amazing, even
> if it is slightly feminine. Of course Plant is the best! I also like
> Gillan's voice, Bowie's and Mercury's voice as well. I am not a big
> fan of Daltrey or Tyler or Jagger's voice but I can understand why
> they are on the list. What about Syd Barrett?
>
> I am not sure how David Coverdale, Jon Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen,
> Joe Cocker and Bono got in there.
>
> 1. Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)
> 2. Freddie Mercury (Queen)
> 3. Paul Rodgers (Free/Bad Company)
> 4. Ian Gillan (Deep Purple)
> 5. Roger Daltrey (The Who)

I think he earned that by time.

> 6. David Coverdale (Whitesnake)
> 7. Axl Rose (Guns N' Roses)
> 8. Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
> 9. Mick Jagger (The Rolling Stones)
> 10. Bon Scott (AC/DC)
> 11. David Bowie
> 12. Jon Bon Jovi (Bon Jovi)
> 13. Steven Tyler (Aerosmith)
> 14. Jon Anderson (Yes)
> 15. Bruce Springsteen
> 16. Joe Cocker
> 17. Ozzy Osbourne (Black Sabbath)
> 18. Bono (U2)
> 19. Peter Gabriel
> 20. James Hetfield (Metallica)

Have to include Jim Morrison and Ian Curtis.

Ivan "Maximus" Lendl

Nov 18, 2009, 8:36:07 PM11/18/09

Jim Morrison is at #27. And do classic rock radio play Joy Division?
This is a classic rock poll.

BLACKPOOLJIMMY

Nov 18, 2009, 8:40:20 PM11/18/09
On Nov 18, 7:45�pm, "Ivan \"Maximus\" Lendl" <zepflo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I'm putting in Jerry Lee Lewis.

who?

Nov 18, 2009, 8:49:11 PM11/18/09
On Nov 18, 6:45 pm, "Ivan \"Maximus\" Lendl" <zepflo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I always liked Paul Rogers. Is he still alive?

Jeff

Ivan Maximus Lendl

Nov 18, 2009, 9:10:42 PM11/18/09

He was pretty good. He is still alive. He is that old too to die

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B2clFsLA3w&feature=fvw

Superdave

Nov 18, 2009, 9:10:46 PM11/18/09
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 17:40:20 -0800 (PST), BLACKPOOLJIMMY
<Chippa...@aol.com> wrote:

>On Nov 18, 7:45?pm, "Ivan \"Maximus\" Lendl" <zepflo...@gmail.com>

I'm putting in Tiny Tim

RichL

Nov 18, 2009, 9:42:16 PM11/18/09

Sure! He's basically taken Freddie Mercury's place in Queen.

Dale Houstman

Nov 18, 2009, 9:51:17 PM11/18/09
Nobody can really take Freddie Mercury's place. I don't doubt Rogers
commitment to the band, but these replacements are usually
less-than-stellar events. For one thing, Freddie wasn't "just" a
vocalist, he was a writer, a showy performer, and a great personality.
But if that's what it takes to give the rest of them a job, so be it.

dmh

Eric Ramon

Nov 18, 2009, 9:55:20 PM11/18/09
On Nov 18, 4:45 pm, "Ivan \"Maximus\" Lendl" <zepflo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

horrible list, not worth noticing. Maybe some of you like this sort of
thing. Enjoy yourselves.

RichL

Nov 18, 2009, 9:56:52 PM11/18/09

Agreed.

BLACKPOOLJIMMY

Nov 18, 2009, 9:59:10 PM11/18/09

> Nobody can really take Freddie Mercury's place.

Nobody but nobody.

Great performer.

Patrick Kehoe

Nov 18, 2009, 10:10:55 PM11/18/09
On Nov 18, 4:45 pm, "Ivan \"Maximus\" Lendl" <zepflo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

++ "Vocalists"... rock singers... easy now... singers ok... but
vocalist... ya, right...

'

bubba

Nov 18, 2009, 10:13:47 PM11/18/09
On Nov 18, 7:36 pm, "Ivan \"Maximus\" Lendl" <zepflo...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> This is a classic rock poll.- Hide quoted text -

SUCK MY VAGINA RAJA

bubba

Nov 18, 2009, 10:13:54 PM11/18/09

Ivan Maximus Lendl

Nov 18, 2009, 10:21:32 PM11/18/09
On Nov 18, 8:51 pm, Dale Houstman <d...@skypoint.com> wrote:
> RichL wrote:

They released one album which was considered a joke. And they have
already broken up apparently (getting rid of Paul Rodgers)

http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/queen___paul_rodgers

> dmh

number_six

Nov 18, 2009, 10:40:25 PM11/18/09
On Nov 18, 4:45 pm, "Ivan \"Maximus\" Lendl" <zepflo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

What a strange, stilted, unconvincing list. Who are these nme voters?

Was there no rock in the fifties? Is this supposed to be a "classic
rock" list but was not identified as such?

Did they disqualify every group that had more than one singer (Four
Tops for example)??

Did they never hear Patti Smith, Nico, Jim Morrison, Grace Slick or
Andrew Eldritch? Bono, Springsteen? The mind reels.

Ivan Maximus Lendl

Nov 18, 2009, 10:51:45 PM11/18/09

Classic rock stations typically play music from 60s, 70s and heavy
metal of the 80s. So no surprise there. 50s are considered as oldies
and usually are playing on oldies station. I am surprised so many
people are unaware of this.

> Did they disqualify every group that had more than one singer (Four
> Tops for example)??
>
> Did they never hear Patti Smith, Nico, Jim Morrison, Grace Slick or
> Andrew Eldritch?   Bono, Springsteen?  The mind reels.

Jimi Morrison, Bono, Bruce Springsteen are on the list. Get glasses.

number_six

Nov 18, 2009, 11:37:29 PM11/18/09
> Jimi Morrison, Bono, Bruce Springsteen are on the list. Get glasses.- Hide quoted text -

It's not a matter of being *unaware* of this -- it's a matter of
objecting to it. The self-absorbed members of a particular generation
began using the term "oldies" when the music of the fifties was still
in recent memory (albeit not mine -- it predates me). I reject the
usage. If they just say "rock" let them mean what they say. I assure
you that generation did not invent the term, and their music is far
older now than the fifties music was when it began to be called
oldies.

Morrison is NOT on the portion of the nme list that you quoted. I
looked no further than the top 20 because it was manifestly clear it
was an incalculably lame list. That was the list to which my post
made specific reference, not the planet rock list. Perhaps your own
powers of observation are not so great that you should be urging
others to get glasses.

Regarding Bono and Springsteen, you misunderstood me. I should have
said "instead there is Bono and Springsteen?" The presence of these
individuals -- and several others -- on a list purporting to set forth
the greatest rock singers of all time is macabre, untenable. These
are among the most overrated performers of the rock era -- all of it.

Ivan Maximus Lendl

Nov 18, 2009, 11:50:25 PM11/18/09

Who cares what you reject! There is a oldies channel in Houston and
also a classic rock channel. Oldies channel plays song from the 50s
upto British Invasion. Classic rock channel plays songs from towards
the end of British Invasion to late 80s.

> Morrison is NOT on the portion of the nme list that you quoted.

Planet rock list was until 40. The first link I gave had top 20, the
second one had 40 and both are from Planet Rock.

> looked no further than the top 20 because it was manifestly clear it
> was an incalculably lame list.  That was the list to which my post
> made specific reference, not the planet rock list.  Perhaps your own
> powers of observation are not so great that you should be urging
> others to get glasses.
>
> Regarding Bono and Springsteen, you misunderstood me.  I should have
> said "instead there is Bono and Springsteen?"

Okay, then learn to type ;-)

> The presence of these
> individuals -- and several others -- on a list purporting to set forth
> the greatest rock singers of all time is macabre, untenable.  These
> are among the most overrated performers of the rock era -- all of it.

I agree, I do not consider Springsteen and Bono as great singers.

bubba

Nov 19, 2009, 1:17:09 AM11/19/09
> I agree, I do not consider Springsteen and Bono as great singers.- Hide quoted text -

I consider you to be very gay

bubba

Nov 19, 2009, 1:17:22 AM11/19/09
> Jimi Morrison, Bono, Bruce Springsteen are on the list. Get glasses.- Hide quoted text -

Die

bubba

Nov 19, 2009, 1:18:31 AM11/19/09
wrote:

> 3 Deep Purple singers made the list... wow. Ian Gillan, David
> Coverdale and Glen Hughes. How about Rod Evans. I prefer him over
> Coverdale.

You like rod huh?

Dale Houstman

Nov 19, 2009, 5:03:30 AM11/19/09

hyuck, hyuck, hyuck...

Everyone's a comedian! Well - maybe not you...

dmh

Fattuchus

Nov 19, 2009, 5:30:38 AM11/19/09
On Nov 18, 7:45 pm, "Ivan \"Maximus\" Lendl" <zepflo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

No John Lennon or Paul McCartney in the top 20?! Phoey.

ManBearPig

Nov 19, 2009, 5:34:52 AM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 12:48 am, "Ivan \"Maximus\" Lendl" <zepflo...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/BLABBERMOUTH.NET/news.aspx?mode=Arti...
>
> According to U.K.'s Daily Mail, LED ZEPPELIN's Robert Plant has topped
> a poll of the greatest voices in rock organized by digital radio
> station Planet Rock. QUEEN's Freddie Mercury came second, Paul Rodgers
> of FREE came next while THE WHO frontman Roger Daltrey came fifth.
>
> The only female voice on the list was that of Janis Joplin.
>
> "The Greatest Voice in Rock Top 40" was compiled by the station's DJs,
> presenters and listeners, plus musicians, rock critics and experts
> such as Tony Iommi from BLACK SABBATH, Phil Manzanera from ROXY MUSIC,
> Ian Anderson from YES and LED ZEPPELIN biographer Mick Wall.
>
> Planet Rock Programming Director Trevor White said: "It's great to see
> Britain has produced the top three greatest rock vocalists of all
> time."
>
> The "Top 40 Greatest Voices in Rock," according to Planet Rock:
>
> 01. Robert Plant (LED ZEPPELIN)
> 02. Freddie Mercury (QUEEN)
> 03. Paul Rodgers (FREE, BAD COMPANY)
> 04. Ian Gillan (DEEP PURPLE)
> 05. Roger Daltrey (THE WHO)
> 06. David Coverdale (WHITESNAKE)
> 07. Axl Rose (GUNS N' ROSES)
> 08. Bruce Dickinson (IRON MAIDEN)
> 09. Mick Jagger (THE ROLLING STONES)

> 10. Bon Scott (AC/DC)
> 11. David Bowie
> 12. Jon Bon Jovi (BON JOVI)
> 13. Steven Tyler (AEROSMITH)
> 14. Jon Anderson (YES)

> 15. Bruce Springsteen
> 16. Joe Cocker
> 17. Ozzy Osbourne
> 18. Bono (U2)
> 19. Peter Gabriel
> 20. James Hetfield (METALLICA)
> 21. Janis Joplin
> 22. Chris Cornell (AUDIOSLAVE / SOUNDGARDEN)
> 23. Roger Chapman (FAMILY)
> 24. Phil Lynott (THIN LIZZY)
> 25. Glenn Hughes (DEEP PURPLE)
> 26. Steve Perry (JOURNEY)
> 27. Jim Morrison (THE DOORS)
> 28. Alex Harvey (THE SENSATIONAL ALEX HARVEY BAND)
> 29. Rob Halford (JUDAS PRIEST)
> 30. Ronnie James Dio (DIO)
> 31. Sammy Hagar (VAN HALEN)
> 32. Meat Loaf
> 33. Alice Cooper
> 34. Geddy Lee (RUSH)
> 35. Brian Johnson (AC/DC)
> 36. David Gilmour (PINK FLOYD)
> 37. Fish (MARILLION)
> 38. Dave Lee Roth (VAN HALEN)
> 39. Biff Byford (SAXON)
> 40. Neil Young

Warren Zevon should be in the top 20.

Jim Beam

Nov 19, 2009, 5:47:46 AM11/19/09
On Nov 18, 7:48 pm, "Ivan \"Maximus\" Lendl" <zepflo...@gmail.com>

John
Paul
George
Ringo
Elvis
Bon Scott
Lorne Greene
Terry Kath
Sam Kinison
Blind Melon Chitland

83LowRider

Nov 19, 2009, 5:51:37 AM11/19/09

"RichL" <rple...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> Nobody can really take Freddie Mercury's place. I don't doubt Rogers
>> commitment to the band, but these replacements are usually
>> less-than-stellar events. For one thing, Freddie wasn't "just" a
>> vocalist, he was a writer, a showy performer, and a great personality.
>> But if that's what it takes to give the rest of them a job, so be it.
>
> Agreed.

Not totally sure, but was thinking a recent article said they had split
ways.

BassPlyr23

Nov 19, 2009, 6:27:08 AM11/19/09
No, you need to understand: The original post was made by a troll,
who usually goes by the name of "Raja", who comes into the Who
newsgroup periodically trying to convince all of us that Led Zeppelin,
not the Who, are the greatest band that ever existed (when we all know
the truth - it's the Beatles), and makes all kinds of outrageous
claims to prove his point. The "poll results" that he posted likely
came from inside his own head, not the NME. There is no poll of
"classic rock singers" worth the name in which Freddie Mercury would
finish behind Robert Plant, include three members of Deep Purple, and
would exclude Jim Morrison, Chuck Berry, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly or
Jerry Lee Lewis.

Piss off, troll, we all know it's you.

Superdave

Nov 19, 2009, 6:28:26 AM11/19/09

What no Pete Sampras ???? WTF ? He had a nuclear voice !

Dale Houstman

Nov 19, 2009, 7:33:53 AM11/19/09
So I've been informed. I didn't know. And - more importantly - I didn't
care. While I support (and feel for) bands who have lost one of their
central "parts" attempting to "keep on keeping on," I don't usually go
crazy trying to buy their records. This would include any and all goes
at resurrecting the Doors (Morrison was not my favorite singer,
performer, or composer, but he was unique and irreplaceable), The Cars
(replace Ocasek? Not likely), and Led Zeppelin with Carrottop as lead
singer. Musicians have the right to keep working, but these sorts of
things are less about musicianship and more about branding: if band
members are really into the music, they should just form new bands and
try and create new music. We already have enough cover bands and oldies
groups...

dmh

The Arranger

Nov 19, 2009, 8:12:52 AM11/19/09

wrote:
> http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/BLABBERMOUTH.NET/news.aspx?mode=Arti...
>
> According to U.K.'s Daily Mail, LED ZEPPELIN's Robert Plant has topped
> a poll of the greatest voices in rock organized by digital radio
> station Planet Rock. QUEEN's Freddie Mercury came second, Paul Rodgers
> of FREE came next while THE WHO frontman Roger Daltrey came fifth.
>
> The only female voice on the list was that of Janis Joplin.

The entire list could attend a Klan rally without anyone getting
suspicious. Music is becoming more segregated every day.

The Arranger

Ivan Maximus Lendl

Nov 19, 2009, 9:00:47 AM11/19/09

Hey douchebag, Jim Morrison is there. And this is not a 50s rock n
roll list. Its 60, 70s and 80s classic rock.

Ivan Maximus Lendl

Nov 19, 2009, 9:03:51 AM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 5:27 am, BassPlyr23 <BassPly...@aol.com> wrote:
> No, you need to understand:  The original post was made by a troll,
> who usually goes by the name of "Raja", who comes into the Who
> newsgroup periodically trying to convince all of us that Led Zeppelin,
> not the Who, are the greatest band that ever existed (when we all know
> the truth - it's the Beatles)

lol, yeah considering most of the song Beatles made were pop and not
rock. And the great live band that Beatles were ;-)

Ivan Maximus Lendl

Nov 19, 2009, 9:11:08 AM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 6:33 am, Dale Houstman <d...@skypoint.com> wrote:
> 83LowRider wrote:
> > "RichL" <rpleav...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> Agreed.
>
> > Not totally sure, but was thinking a recent article said they had split
> > ways.
>
> So I've been informed. I didn't know. And - more importantly - I didn't
> care. While I support (and feel for) bands who have lost one of their
> central "parts" attempting to "keep on keeping on," I don't usually go
> crazy trying to buy their records. This would include any and all goes
> at resurrecting the Doors (Morrison was not my favorite singer,
> performer, or composer, but he was unique and irreplaceable), The Cars
> (replace Ocasek? Not likely), and Led Zeppelin with Carrottop as lead
> singer.

Idiot, Led Zeppelin never replaced anyone. Fuck you!

Ivan Maximus Lendl

Nov 19, 2009, 9:22:24 AM11/19/09
Its amazing people diss on a list just because one of their favorite
singers didn't make whilst ignoring all the great other things about
the list like the list having many other great singers. Regarding the
absence of women, how many great classic rock bands (not pop) had
female singers? Almost next to none. Janis Joplin has no right to be
in that list. She had a horrific screechy voice. A better choice could
have been Sandy Denny or may be Grace Slick.

Ivan Maximus Lendl

Nov 19, 2009, 9:27:29 AM11/19/09

Jimboy, Lennon and McCartney did not have great voices. Once in a
while, they put in some decent performances. But they lacked range and
power. You can forget about Harrison who sounded constipated most of
the time and Starkey who had comedic vocals. If you ever knew a thing
about singing, then you would not nomimate anyone from Beatles. Pink
Floyd are a great band and they are my 3rd favorite band after Led
Zeppelin and Yes, but except Syd Barrett, who had a great unique
British sounding voice, I do not consider anyone else from that band
to have a great voice especially David Gilmour. Try to be objective
once in a while.

Elvis Presley was a great singer, but his era is considered oldies,
not classic rock. And this a classic rock list, compiled by a classic
rock station. And get some glasses, Bon Scott is on the list.

ManBearPig

Nov 19, 2009, 9:35:49 AM11/19/09

Is there proof of this?

Wendell T. Stamps

Nov 19, 2009, 9:50:35 AM11/19/09
1) Raja the vag luber

JohnB

Nov 19, 2009, 10:08:58 AM11/19/09

So, what do you know about singing which qualifies you above Jim? Have
you studied singing? Are you a singer of any note? No, I'm sorry,
you're just coming over a bit silly again. John Lennon was responsible
for some of the greatest rock vocals ever; so was Paul. The Beatles'
catalogue has many examples, and there are even examples in their solo
careers. They had range too, emotionally and texturally, that enabled
them to tackle a far greater range of styles than Plant ever could.
I doubt anyone would seriously offer Harrison or Starr up as great
rock vocalists but they have their fans. But Lennon and McCartney?
Popular opinion suggests you are wrong.

> Pink
> Floyd are a great band and they are my 3rd favorite band after Led
> Zeppelin and Yes, but except Syd Barrett, who had a great unique
> British sounding voice, I do not consider anyone else from that band
> to have a great voice especially David Gilmour. Try to be objective
> once in a while.

That's good coming from you. Objective? Ha.

> Elvis Presley was a great singer, but his era is considered oldies,
> not classic rock. And this a classic rock list, compiled by a classic
> rock station. And get some glasses, Bon Scott is on the list.

Elvis was a lot more than just an "oldie", but I do admit he never
sang on stage with Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd or Yes.
You do have a suffocating need to categorise and list, don't you? Some
might call it obsession...
Oh, hang on, I believe they already have.

bubba

Nov 19, 2009, 10:46:52 AM11/19/09
> rock station. And get some glasses, Bon Scott is on the list.- Hide quoted text -

EAT MY VAGINA

Jales

Nov 19, 2009, 10:58:22 AM11/19/09
On 19 nov, 11:27, Ivan Maximus Lendl <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Jimboy, Lennon and McCartney did not have great voices. Once in a
> while, they put in some decent performances. But they lacked range and
> power.

And Jagger does have range and power ?!?! C'mon!!!

Have you ever listened to Why Don't We Do It In The Road? Range and
power in less than two minutes...
You want some range: try So Bad (high notes) and then The Girl Is Mine
(some really low notes), or Don't Let It Bring You Down.... You want
power? Try Helter Skelter or Soily...

> Pink Floyd are a great band and they are my 3rd favorite band after Led
> Zeppelin and Yes, but except Syd Barrett, who had a great unique
> British sounding voice, I do not consider anyone else from that band
> to have a great voice especially David Gilmour. Try to be objective
> once in a while.

Yeah, sure Barrett had range and power LOL

Mike Smith

Nov 19, 2009, 11:40:29 AM11/19/09
RichL wrote:
> who? <yourimag...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> I always liked Paul Rogers. Is he still alive?
>>
>> Jeff
>
> Sure! He's basically taken Freddie Mercury's place in Queen.

*Travesty*.

--
Mike Smith

Mike Smith

Nov 19, 2009, 11:43:15 AM11/19/09
Dale Houstman wrote:
> Musicians have the right to keep working, but these sorts of
> things are less about musicianship and more about branding: if band
> members are really into the music, they should just form new bands and
> try and create new music.

But how could they charge $500 a ticket if they did that?

--
Mike Smith

Fattuchus

Nov 19, 2009, 12:06:34 PM11/19/09

McCartney lacks range and power??????? Have you heard him sing Helter
Skelter? I'm Down? Oh! Darling???

richforman

Nov 19, 2009, 12:41:50 PM11/19/09

Wow that was one of your biggest fails EVER. Grace Slick a better
voice than Janis Joplin....uh huh.

Anyway you miss the point as always. People aren't "dissing on the
list" because their fave isn't on it, but rather simply because it is
a list - you seem to not have noticed that nobody's interested in them
in general - especially ones posted by you.

richforman

Ivan Maximus Lendl

Nov 19, 2009, 1:24:57 PM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 9:58 am, Jales <jales...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 19 nov, 11:27, Ivan Maximus Lendl <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Jimboy, Lennon and McCartney did not have great voices. Once in a
> > while, they put in some decent performances. But they lacked range and
> > power.
>
> And Jagger does have range and power ?!?! C'mon!!!

Where did I mention Jagger? Jagger has definitely got stronger vocals
then Lennon/McCartney.

> Have you ever listened to Why Don't We Do It In The Road? Range and
> power in less than two minutes...
> You want some range: try So Bad (high notes) and then The Girl Is Mine
> (some really low notes), or Don't Let It Bring You Down.... You want
> power? Try Helter Skelter or Soily...

Helter Skelter is laughably bad performance. His voice breaks in that.

> > Pink Floyd are a great band and they are my 3rd favorite band after Led
> > Zeppelin and Yes, but except Syd Barrett, who had a great unique
> > British sounding voice, I do not consider anyone else from that band
> > to have a great voice especially David Gilmour. Try to be objective
> > once in a while.
>
> Yeah, sure Barrett had range and power LOL

Have you heard Lucy Leave?

Ivan Maximus Lendl

Nov 19, 2009, 1:26:38 PM11/19/09

I never said lacks. Every one has range and power. Some have more. The
extent of his range is short however.

>Have you heard him sing Helter

> Skelter?  I'm Down?  Oh! Darling???- Hide quoted text -

Bad example by mentioning Helter Skelter. Im Down was a better
performance.

Jales

Nov 19, 2009, 1:58:52 PM11/19/09
On 19 nov, 15:24, Ivan Maximus Lendl <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Where did I mention Jagger? Jagger has definitely got stronger vocals
> then Lennon/McCartney.

I’ll try to follow your reasoning:
Premise 1 (in your first post): I am not a big fan of Daltrey or Tyler

or Jagger's voice but I can understand why
they are on the list.

Premise 2 (a subsequent post of yours): Lennon and McCartney did not

have great voices. Once in a while, they put in some decent

performances. But they lacked range and power. You can forget about

Harrison who sounded constipated most of the time and Starkey who had
comedic vocals. If you ever knew a thing about singing, then you would
not nomimate anyone from Beatles

Logical conclusion: Jagger sings “better” than both Lennon and
McCartney
And now you say he's got stronger vocals.... can you at least tell
whether a singer is out of tune or not?

> Helter Skelter is laughably bad performance. His voice breaks in that.

Bad performance, judging against what standard??

> > Yeah, sure Barrett had range and power LOL
>
> Have you heard Lucy Leave?

So you take just one song to consider him better than Gilmour (and
Lennon/McCartney).... I won't even bother to name a song by Lennon or
McCartney that suits your criteria

Jales

Nov 19, 2009, 2:02:38 PM11/19/09
On 19 nov, 11:03, Ivan Maximus Lendl <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> lol, yeah considering most of the song Beatles made were pop and not
> rock. And the great live band that Beatles were ;-)

And Pink Floyd or Yes is more rock than the Beatles !?! LOL

Jales

Nov 19, 2009, 2:27:37 PM11/19/09
On 19 nov, 11:27, Ivan Maximus Lendl <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
You can forget about Harrison who sounded constipated most of
> the time and Starkey who had comedic vocals. If you ever knew a thing
> about singing, then you would not nomimate  anyone from Beatles.

Since you mention Harrison and Starkey (whom nobody here is proposing
for your list, let me tell you what I think (although I'm probably not
as qualified as you to judge on these things...)

(the following is IMHO, of course)
I prefer Jon Anderson over Harrison and Starkey, but Lennon and
McCartney sing better than him to my ears
Chris Squire and Steve Howe both sound at least as "constipated" as
Harrison
Gilmour is the only one in Pink Floyd with enough confidence in his
voice, but in no way "better" than either John or Paul
Plant is a good singer, but not as versatile as Macca (or even as
Jagger).
Harrison and Starr do sing, unlike Wakeman, White, Bruford, Page,
Jones, Bonham and Manson....
As for comedic vocals I'd vote for Waters.
Harrison is a good singer, although he has not a wide range.... I
think he sings "better" than Ringo
I prefer Starr over Keith Richards, Bill Wyman, Ron Wood, Charlie
Watts, Mick Taylor or Brian Jones (which is equal as saying that the
"worst" Beatles singer is "better" than any of Jagger's band mates, at
least in my world....)

> Pink Floyd are a great band and they are my 3rd favorite band after Led
> Zeppelin and Yes, but except Syd Barrett, who had a great unique
> British sounding voice, I do not consider anyone else from that band
> to have a great voice especially David Gilmour.

IMO, the best singer in Pink Floyd is Clare Torry ;-)

> Try to be objective once in a while.

Do you know what objective means??

Fake

Nov 19, 2009, 4:23:54 PM11/19/09
Lou Reed?

Ivan Maximus Lendl

Nov 19, 2009, 4:58:34 PM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 1:27 pm, Jales <jales...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 19 nov, 11:27, Ivan Maximus Lendl <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> You can forget about Harrison who sounded constipated most of
>
> > the time and Starkey who had comedic vocals. If you ever knew a thing
> > about singing, then you would not nomimate  anyone from Beatles.
>
> Since you mention Harrison and Starkey (whom nobody here is proposing
> for your list, let me tell you what I think (although I'm probably not
> as qualified as you to judge on these things...)
>
> (the following is IMHO, of course)
> I prefer Jon Anderson over Harrison and Starkey, but Lennon and
> McCartney sing better than him to my ears
> Chris Squire and Steve Howe both sound at least as "constipated" as
> Harrison

Hilarious you made this a Beatles vs Yes argument.... lol. I would not
put Chris Squire or Steve Howe as singers at all. During Yes' peak
they never sang a single lead vocal.

> Gilmour is the only one in Pink Floyd with enough confidence in his
> voice, but in no way "better" than either John or Paul

Now it is Beatles vs Pink Floyd, huh. I agree that John and Pul are
better than any singer in Floyd except Barrett.

> Plant is a good singer, but not as versatile as Macca (or even as
> Jagger).

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFLMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Sorry I had to really laugh at that.

> Harrison and Starr do sing, unlike Wakeman, White, Bruford, Page,
> Jones, Bonham and Manson....

So I guess Beatles 1 Zeppelin and Yes 0. Happy now?

> As for comedic vocals I'd vote for Waters.

He is not bad. But he doesnt posses great voice. After Barrett, I
prefer Wright's vocals. Gilmour can sound ridiculous when trying to
sing high pitch just like McCartney.

> Harrison is a good singer, although he has not a wide range....

He seems bored in every song he sings.

> think he sings "better" than Ringo

Ringo at least has some energy.

> I prefer Starr over Keith Richards, Bill Wyman, Ron Wood, Charlie
> Watts, Mick Taylor or Brian Jones (which is equal as saying that the
> "worst" Beatles singer is "better" than any of Jagger's band mates, at
> least in my world....)

Those guys sing. Keith Richards should be banned from singing....
ever.

> > Pink Floyd are a great band and they are my 3rd favorite band after Led
> > Zeppelin and Yes, but except Syd Barrett, who had a great unique
> > British sounding voice, I do not consider anyone else from that band
> > to have a great voice especially David Gilmour.
>
> IMO, the best singer in Pink Floyd is Clare Torry ;-)

Agreed.

Ivan Maximus Lendl

Nov 19, 2009, 4:59:38 PM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 3:23 pm, Fake <f...@nonet.net> wrote:
> Lou Reed?

For laughs? I like Lou Reed a lot. and his voice suits VU, just like
Ozzy's voice suits Sabbath and Hendrix voice suit TJHE. But none of
them have great voices.

Ivan Maximus Lendl

Nov 19, 2009, 5:08:46 PM11/19/09

None of them are pop at least. Yes is far more agressive than Pink
Floyd. Their songs have complicated structure but it is still rock.
Any one who thinks Starship Trooper is not rock is a dumbass. Pink
Floyd were rock as well (there is hardly any pop element). 50% or more
of Beatles songs are pop, psychedelic pop, nursery rhymes or some
lounge shit like Good Night. At least Yes/Floyd never made lullabies
like Good Night.

Ivan Maximus Lendl

Nov 19, 2009, 5:09:25 PM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 11:41 am, richforman <rforma...@msn.com> wrote:
> On Nov 19, 9:22 am, Ivan Maximus Lendl <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > The entire list could attend a Klan rally without anyone getting
> > > suspicious. Music is becoming more segregated every day.
>
> > Its amazing people diss on a list just because one of their favorite
> > singers didn't make whilst ignoring all the great other things about
> > the list like the list having many other great singers. Regarding the
> > absence of women, how many great classic rock bands (not pop) had
> > female singers? Almost next to none. Janis Joplin has no right to be
> > in that list. She had a horrific screechy voice. A better choice could
> > have been Sandy Denny or may be Grace Slick.
>
> Wow that was one of your biggest fails EVER.  Grace Slick a better
> voice than Janis Joplin....uh huh.

I prefer singing over screeching.

> Anyway you miss the point as always.  People aren't "dissing on the
> list" because their fave isn't on it, but rather simply because it is
> a list - you seem to not have noticed that nobody's interested in them
> in general - especially ones posted by you.
>

> richforman- Hide quoted text -

Jim Beam

Nov 19, 2009, 5:38:01 PM11/19/09

That is some good company to be getting balls busted with, thanks.
That's what makes them great.

If you ever knew a thing
> about singing, then you would not nomimate  anyone from Beatles.

This a America dammit, I can nominate Kermit the Frog if I choose to.
I do know some about singing, was trained in my youth but years of
smoking and
yelling over jack-hammers and other loud noises took its toll .
Could still belt one out every now and then.

Pink
> Floyd are a great band and they are my 3rd favorite band after Led
> Zeppelin and Yes, but except Syd Barrett, who had a great unique
> British sounding voice, I do not consider anyone else from that band
> to have a great voice especially David Gilmour. Try to be objective
> once in a while.

Still listen to Zep, man.
Have admit Plant does sound like he got kicked in the nuts at times.

Floyd,
You could turn the singing off and the music will still take you away.

> Elvis Presley was a great singer, but his era is considered oldies,
> not classic rock. And this a classic rock list, compiled by a classic
> rock station.

I'd take Elvis over all of them.

And get some glasses
Bon Scott is on the list.-

Over forty years, just woke up and only one cop of mud and the sand
was still in my eyes, unlike you I have to be up for work, don't have
time
for sitting on my ass all day like you and type up lists.

It could have been off of one of your other lists. There are alot of
them and they
all seem the same after the first 1000.

AC/DC kicks some ass, seen them four times, first time in 1981 in the
Philly Spectum.

Jim Beam

Nov 19, 2009, 5:41:12 PM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 4:23 pm, Fake <f...@nonet.net> wrote:
> Lou Reed?

Got a vote from me.

Jim Beam

Nov 19, 2009, 5:46:18 PM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 5:09 pm, Ivan Maximus Lendl <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 19, 11:41 am, richforman <rforma...@msn.com> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 19, 9:22 am, Ivan Maximus Lendl <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > On Nov 19, 7:12 am, The Arranger <recur...@gmail.com> wrote:> On Nov 18, 7:48 pm, "Ivan \"Maximus\" Lendl" <zepflo...@gmail.com>

> I prefer singing over screeching.

Why bring Yoko in on this?

> > Anyway you miss the point as always.  People aren't "dissing on the
> > list" because their fave isn't on it, but rather simply because it is
> > a list - you seem to not have noticed that nobody's interested in them
> > in general - especially ones posted by you.

We keep on answering back.

> > richforman- Hide quoted text -

RichL

Nov 19, 2009, 7:00:55 PM11/19/09
83LowRider <nohop...@nge.com> wrote:
> "RichL" <rple...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Nobody can really take Freddie Mercury's place. I don't doubt Rogers
>>> commitment to the band, but these replacements are usually
>>> less-than-stellar events. For one thing, Freddie wasn't "just" a
>>> vocalist, he was a writer, a showy performer, and a great
>>> personality. But if that's what it takes to give the rest of them a
>>> job, so be it.
>>
>> Agreed.
>
> Not totally sure, but was thinking a recent article said they had
> split ways.

Yeah, you're right (just looked it up...).

RichL

Nov 19, 2009, 7:04:09 PM11/19/09

Better than digging up the corpse, eh?

Besides, despite my awkward wording above, Queen insisted on billing the
act as "Paul Rodgers + Queen", implying that Paul was NOT replacing
Freddie.

Hey I much prefer the original act as well, but you can't turn back the
clock. Enough folks wanted to hear the songs live to support several
tours, and Roger (Taylor) and Brian (May) still have a right to earn a
living.

RichL

Nov 19, 2009, 7:09:47 PM11/19/09
JohnB <john...@tinyworld.co.uk> wrote:

> So, what do you know about singing which qualifies you above Jim? Have
> you studied singing? Are you a singer of any note? No, I'm sorry,
> you're just coming over a bit silly again. John Lennon was responsible
> for some of the greatest rock vocals ever; so was Paul. The Beatles'
> catalogue has many examples, and there are even examples in their solo
> careers. They had range too, emotionally and texturally, that enabled
> them to tackle a far greater range of styles than Plant ever could.
> I doubt anyone would seriously offer Harrison or Starr up as great
> rock vocalists but they have their fans. But Lennon and McCartney?
> Popular opinion suggests you are wrong.

The truth of the matter is, any list that Raja posts is by default
extracted from a web site that concentrates on music of a certain style
and era. It will automatically exclude the Beatles on those grounds.

And Raja is blissfully unaware of any music that isn't "classic rock"
(post-1968) or metal dumbed down for the masses.

Ivan Maximus Lendl

Nov 19, 2009, 7:22:48 PM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 6:09 pm, "RichL" <rpleav...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Beatles are classic rock, dummy.

BlackMonk

Nov 19, 2009, 7:37:32 PM11/19/09

"richforman" <rfor...@msn.com> wrote in message

On Nov 19, 9:22 am, Ivan Maximus Lendl <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 19, 7:12 am, The Arranger <recur...@gmail.com> wrote:> On Nov 18,
> 7:48 pm, "Ivan \"Maximus\" Lendl" <zepflo...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > >http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/BLABBERMOUTH.NET/news.aspx?mode=Arti...
>
> > > According to U.K.'s Daily Mail, LED ZEPPELIN's Robert Plant has topped
> > > a poll of the greatest voices in rock organized by digital radio
> > > station Planet Rock. QUEEN's Freddie Mercury came second, Paul Rodgers
> > > of FREE came next while THE WHO frontman Roger Daltrey came fifth.
>
> > > The only female voice on the list was that of Janis Joplin.
>
> > The entire list could attend a Klan rally without anyone getting
> > suspicious. Music is becoming more segregated every day.
>
> Its amazing people diss on a list just because one of their favorite
> singers didn't make whilst ignoring all the great other things about
> the list like the list having many other great singers. Regarding the
> absence of women, how many great classic rock bands (not pop) had
> female singers? Almost next to none. Janis Joplin has no right to be
> in that list. She had a horrific screechy voice. A better choice could
> have been Sandy Denny or may be Grace Slick.

< Wow that was one of your biggest fails EVER. Grace Slick a better
voice than Janis Joplin....uh huh. >

I would have said it was the first thing he got right. I understand why
Joplin is historically significant. I even understand why people consider
her a good singer, even if I don't really like her vocals, but as far as
pure singing goes, Grace Slick had her beat.

That said, "classic rock" really isn't the best place to look for great
female vocalists.

Char1ie

Nov 19, 2009, 7:53:54 PM11/19/09

Barrett was all about "pop". He created perfect little 3 minute pop
art singles. The rest was art rock, if you must put a lable on it.
I'm pretty sure you didn't know who Syd was until long after he was
"gone". As far a being one of the best singer in rock, he wasn't even
the best singer in Floyd.

Ivan Maximus Lendl

Nov 19, 2009, 8:14:43 PM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 12:58 pm, Jales <jales...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 19 nov, 15:24, Ivan Maximus Lendl <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Where did I mention Jagger? Jagger has definitely got stronger vocals
> > then Lennon/McCartney.
>
> I’ll try to follow your reasoning:
> Premise 1 (in your first post): I am not a big fan of Daltrey or Tyler
> or Jagger's voice but I can understand why
> they are on the list.
> Premise 2 (a subsequent post of yours): Lennon and McCartney did not
> have great voices. Once in a while, they put in some decent
> performances. But they lacked range and power. You can forget about
> Harrison who sounded constipated most of the time and Starkey who had
> comedic vocals. If you ever knew a thing about singing, then you would
> not nomimate  anyone from Beatles
> Logical conclusion: Jagger sings “better” than both Lennon and
> McCartney

Sings better? Who is talking about that. I am talking about the
singing voice. Jagger has a more powerful voice than both McCartney/
Lennon, but I might actually prefer their style of singing better.

> And now you say he's got stronger vocals.... can you at least tell
> whether a singer is out of tune or not?
>
> > Helter Skelter is laughably bad performance. His voice breaks in that.
>
> Bad performance, judging against what standard??

Just that song... I don't like it when he tries to sing high pitch.

> > > Yeah, sure Barrett had range and power LOL
>
> > Have you heard Lucy Leave?
>
> So you take just one song to consider him better than Gilmour (and
> Lennon/McCartney).... I won't even bother to name a song by Lennon or
> McCartney that suits your criteria

Dude, David Bowie was massively influenced by Syd Barrett. His
confident British way of singing was inspirational for David Bowie,
who himself is a great singer. None of the other Floyd singers were
as confident as Syd was.

Watch these videos and tell me didn't have a great voice. He didnt
last too long with a band... a mere one year when they were active
(1967). So I cannot provide too many examples. When he was sane, he
made only one album with Floyd and a few singles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU_aCH41-0U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frkbSLTwmQo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8sNEedLeHY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A9iPFF5Yrs

Ivan "Maximus" Lendl

Nov 19, 2009, 8:19:13 PM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 6:53 pm, Char1ie <j...@blow.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 14:08:46 -0800 (PST), Ivan Maximus Lendl
>

> <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> And Pink Floyd or Yes is more rock than the Beatles !?! LOL
>
> >None of them are pop at least. Yes is far more agressive than Pink
> >Floyd. Their songs have complicated structure but it is still rock.
> >Any one who thinks Starship Trooper is not rock is a dumbass. Pink
> >Floyd were rock as well (there is hardly any pop element). 50% or more
> >of Beatles songs are pop, psychedelic pop, nursery rhymes or some
> >lounge shit like Good Night. At least Yes/Floyd never made lullabies
> >like Good Night
>
> Barrett was all about "pop". He created perfect little 3 minute pop
> art singles.

That wasn't the Floyd sound. Listen to Piper. Hardly pop. There is
nothing really pop about songs like Astronomy Domine (space rock) ,
Lucifer Sam (sounds like garage rock), Interstellar Overdrive (avant-
garde rock), Pow R Toch (folk rock?)

> The rest was art rock, if you must put a lable on it.
> I'm pretty sure you didn't know who Syd was until long after he was
> "gone". As far a being one of the best singer in rock, he wasn't even
> the best singer in Floyd.

Yeah Gilmour was better, I know ... lol.

Ivan "Maximus" Lendl

Nov 19, 2009, 8:24:36 PM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 6:37 pm, "BlackMonk" <BlackM...@email.msn.com> wrote:
> "richforman" <rforma...@msn.com> wrote in message

If anyone of you bothered to research Annie Haslem (of Renaissance)
and Renate Knaup (of Amon Duul II) are undoubtedly the best female
classic rock singer. Slick can lick my dick.

Annie Haslem (Carpet Of The Sun)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtSQFewjDD0

Renate Knaup (Archangels Thunderbird)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlMwX9LxHcg&feature=related

RichL

Nov 19, 2009, 8:47:04 PM11/19/09

Maybe on records. In performance, Grace's voice was rather weak
(especially in comparison with Marty Balin).

> That said, "classic rock" really isn't the best place to look for
> great female vocalists.

Yeah, that's for sure.
Wonder why no one has mentioned Ann or Nancy Wilson, though...

Dale Houstman

Nov 19, 2009, 9:11:42 PM11/19/09
Ivan Maximus Lendl wrote:
> On Nov 19, 6:33 am, Dale Houstman <d...@skypoint.com> wrote:
>> 83LowRider wrote:
>>> "RichL" <rpleav...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Not totally sure, but was thinking a recent article said they had split
>>> ways.
>> So I've been informed. I didn't know. And - more importantly - I didn't
>> care. While I support (and feel for) bands who have lost one of their
>> central "parts" attempting to "keep on keeping on," I don't usually go
>> crazy trying to buy their records. This would include any and all goes
>> at resurrecting the Doors (Morrison was not my favorite singer,
>> performer, or composer, but he was unique and irreplaceable), The Cars
>> (replace Ocasek? Not likely), and Led Zeppelin with Carrottop as lead
>> singer.
>
> Idiot, Led Zeppelin never replaced anyone. Fuck you!

It's what is known as a joke, dim turnip...

dmh

Dale Houstman

Nov 19, 2009, 9:13:36 PM11/19/09
Mike Smith wrote:
> Dale Houstman wrote:
>> Musicians have the right to keep working, but these sorts of things
>> are less about musicianship and more about branding: if band members
>> are really into the music, they should just form new bands and try and
>> create new music.
>
> But how could they charge $500 a ticket if they did that?

Yes. That's why I consider it mainly a matter of branding...

dmh

Mike Smith

Nov 19, 2009, 9:19:28 PM11/19/09

Sure they do. Never said otherwise. Meanwhile, I have a right to call
it... a *travesty*.

--
Mike Smith

Dale Houstman

Nov 19, 2009, 9:25:27 PM11/19/09
I go every year to a local bar to listen to a group of musicians play
Lennon's music - quite well. Everyone knows the songs, and a good time
is had by all. If Queen wants to play the songs, and it brings enjoyment
to the masses, what's the noise? Freddie CAN'T be replaced, but the band
can probably recreate a pleasing copy of the songs, as least as well as
a bunch of local musicians who were never in the Beatles can pull off
Lennon's canon.

dmh

Ivan "Maximus" Lendl

Nov 19, 2009, 9:46:50 PM11/19/09

That was a joke as well, dumbo. You think I will get mad for that?

bubba

Nov 19, 2009, 9:53:33 PM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 8:46 pm, "Ivan \"Maximus\" Lendl" <zepflo...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> That was a joke as well, dumbo. You think I will get mad for that?- Hide quoted text -

DOUCHEBAG

bubba

Nov 19, 2009, 9:54:46 PM11/19/09

bubba

Nov 19, 2009, 9:55:00 PM11/19/09
> Beatles are classic rock, dummy.- Hide quoted text -

bubba

Nov 19, 2009, 9:55:12 PM11/19/09

DOUCHEBAG

bubba

Nov 19, 2009, 9:55:17 PM11/19/09

DOUCHEBAG

bubba

Nov 19, 2009, 9:55:23 PM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 3:59 pm, Ivan Maximus Lendl <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Nov 19, 3:23 pm, Fake <f...@nonet.net> wrote:
>
> > Lou Reed?
>
> For laughs? I like Lou Reed a lot. and his voice suits VU, just like
> Ozzy's voice suits Sabbath and Hendrix voice suit TJHE. But none of
> them have great voices.

DOUCHEBAG

bubba

Nov 19, 2009, 9:55:33 PM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 3:58 pm, Ivan Maximus Lendl <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 19, 1:27 pm, Jales <jales...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > On 19 nov, 11:27, Ivan Maximus Lendl <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > You can forget about Harrison who sounded constipated most of
>
> > > the time and Starkey who had comedic vocals. If you ever knew a thing
> > > about singing, then you would not nomimate  anyone from Beatles.
>
> > Since you mention Harrison and Starkey (whom nobody here is proposing
> > for your list, let me tell you what I think (although I'm probably not
> > as qualified as you to judge on these things...)
>
> > (the following is IMHO, of course)
> > I prefer Jon Anderson over Harrison and Starkey, but Lennon and
> > McCartney sing better than him to my ears
> > Chris Squire and Steve Howe both sound at least as "constipated" as
> > Harrison
>
> Hilarious you made this a Beatles vs Yes argument.... lol. I would not
> put Chris Squire or Steve Howe as singers at all. During Yes' peak
> they never sang a single lead vocal.
>
> > Gilmour is the only one in Pink Floyd with enough confidence in his
> > voice, but in no way "better" than either John or Paul
>
> Now it is Beatles vs Pink Floyd, huh. I agree that John and Pul are
> better than any singer in Floyd except Barrett.
>
> > Plant is a good singer, but not as versatile as Macca (or even as
> > Jagger).
>
> ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFLMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
> Sorry I had to really laugh at that.
>
> > Harrison and Starr do sing, unlike Wakeman, White, Bruford, Page,
> > Jones, Bonham and Manson....
>
> So I guess Beatles 1 Zeppelin and Yes 0. Happy now?
>
> > As for comedic vocals I'd vote for Waters.
>
> He is not bad. But he doesnt posses great voice. After Barrett, I
> prefer Wright's vocals. Gilmour can sound ridiculous when trying to
> sing high pitch just like McCartney.
>
> > Harrison is a good singer, although he has not a wide range....
>
> He seems bored in every song he sings.

> > think he sings "better" than Ringo
>
> Ringo at least has some energy.
>
> > I prefer Starr over Keith Richards, Bill Wyman, Ron Wood, Charlie
> > Watts, Mick Taylor or Brian Jones (which is equal as saying that the
> > "worst" Beatles singer is "better" than any of Jagger's band mates, at
> > least in my world....)
>
> Those guys sing. Keith Richards should be banned from singing....
> ever.

> > > Pink Floyd are a great band and they are my 3rd favorite band after Led
> > > Zeppelin and Yes, but except Syd Barrett, who had a great unique
> > > British sounding voice, I do not consider anyone else from that band
> > > to have a great voice especially David Gilmour.
>
> > IMO, the best singer in Pink Floyd is Clare Torry ;-)
>
> Agreed.

> > > Try to be objective once in a while.
>
> > Do you know what objective means??- Hide quoted text -

bubba

Nov 19, 2009, 9:55:43 PM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 12:26 pm, Ivan Maximus Lendl <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Nov 19, 11:06 am, Fattuchus <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Jimboy, Lennon and McCartney did not have great voices. Once in a

> > > while, they put in some decent performances. But they lacked range and
> > > power.
>
> > McCartney lacks range and power???????
>
> I never said lacks. Every one has range and power. Some have more. The
> extent of his range is short however.
>
> >Have you heard him sing Helter
> > Skelter?  I'm Down?  Oh! Darling???- Hide quoted text -
>
> Bad example by mentioning Helter Skelter. Im Down was a better
> performance.

bubba

Nov 19, 2009, 9:55:50 PM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 12:24 pm, Ivan Maximus Lendl <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 19, 9:58 am, Jales <jales...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > On 19 nov, 11:27, Ivan Maximus Lendl <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > Jimboy, Lennon and McCartney did not have great voices. Once in a
> > > while, they put in some decent performances. But they lacked range and
> > > power.
>
> > And Jagger does have range and power ?!?! C'mon!!!

> Where did I mention Jagger? Jagger has definitely got stronger vocals
> then Lennon/McCartney.
>

> > Have you ever listened to Why Don't We Do It In The Road? Range and
> > power in less than two minutes...
> > You want some range: try So Bad (high notes) and then The Girl Is Mine
> > (some really low notes), or Don't Let It Bring You Down.... You want
> > power? Try Helter Skelter or Soily...

> Helter Skelter is laughably bad performance. His voice breaks in that.
>

> > > Pink Floyd are a great band and they are my 3rd favorite band after Led
> > > Zeppelin and Yes, but except Syd Barrett, who had a great unique
> > > British sounding voice, I do not consider anyone else from that band
> > > to have a great voice especially David Gilmour. Try to be objective
> > > once in a while.
>

> > Yeah, sure Barrett had range and power LOL
>
> Have you heard Lucy Leave?

DOUCHEBAG

progea

Nov 19, 2009, 10:28:33 PM11/19/09
Rock uff, Faja!

globular

Nov 19, 2009, 11:01:05 PM11/19/09
Ivan "Maximus" Lendl wrote:

> On Nov 18, 7:30 pm, globular <s...@there.invalid> wrote:
>> Ivan "Maximus" Lendl wrote:
>>> http://www.nme.com/news/nme/41860
>>> Nice to see Jon Anderson on the list. I think he has an amazing, even
>>> if it is slightly feminine. Of course Plant is the best! I also like
>>> Gillan's voice, Bowie's and Mercury's voice as well. I am not a big

>>> fan of Daltrey or Tyler or Jagger's voice but I can understand why
>>> they are on the list. What about Syd Barrett?
>>> I am not sure how David Coverdale, Jon Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen,
>>> Joe Cocker and Bono got in there.
>>> 1. Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)
>>> 2. Freddie Mercury (Queen)
>>> 3. Paul Rodgers (Free/Bad Company)
>>> 4. Ian Gillan (Deep Purple)
>>> 5. Roger Daltrey (The Who)
>> I think he earned that by time.
>>
>>> 6. David Coverdale (Whitesnake)
>>> 7. Axl Rose (Guns N' Roses)
>>> 8. Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
>>> 9. Mick Jagger (The Rolling Stones)

>>> 10. Bon Scott (AC/DC)
>>> 11. David Bowie
>>> 12. Jon Bon Jovi (Bon Jovi)
>>> 13. Steven Tyler (Aerosmith)
>>> 14. Jon Anderson (Yes)

>>> 15. Bruce Springsteen
>>> 16. Joe Cocker
>>> 17. Ozzy Osbourne (Black Sabbath)

>>> 18. Bono (U2)
>>> 19. Peter Gabriel
>>> 20. James Hetfield (Metallica)
>> Have to include Jim Morrison and Ian Curtis.
>
> Jim Morrison is at #27. And do classic rock radio play Joy Division?
> This is a classic rock poll.

My brain cells stop working when you mention 'classic rock'.
Joy Division are almost candidates anyway for such things now.
Crooners of rock are under represented and rare.

globular

Nov 19, 2009, 11:06:40 PM11/19/09
Ivan Maximus Lendl wrote:

> On Nov 19, 7:12 am, The Arranger <recur...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Nov 18, 7:48 pm, "Ivan \"Maximus\" Lendl" <zepflo...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/BLABBERMOUTH.NET/news.aspx?mode=Arti....

>>> According to U.K.'s Daily Mail, LED ZEPPELIN's Robert Plant has topped
>>> a poll of the greatest voices in rock organized by digital radio
>>> station Planet Rock. QUEEN's Freddie Mercury came second, Paul Rodgers
>>> of FREE came next while THE WHO frontman Roger Daltrey came fifth.
>>> The only female voice on the list was that of Janis Joplin.
>> The entire list could attend a Klan rally without anyone getting
>> suspicious. Music is becoming more segregated every day.

> Its amazing people diss on a list just because one of their favorite
> singers didn't make whilst ignoring all the great other things about
> the list like the list having many other great singers. Regarding the
> absence of women, how many great classic rock bands (not pop) had
> female singers? Almost next to none. Janis Joplin has no right to be
> in that list. She had a horrific screechy voice. A better choice could
> have been Sandy Denny or may be Grace Slick.

Well the list is biassed towards pseudo-heavy metal.
Things just repeat themselves for years.
Roger Daltrey is an odd choice, he only achieved this result from longevity.

JohnB

Nov 20, 2009, 4:22:34 AM11/20/09
On 20 Nov, 01:24, "Ivan \"Maximus\" Lendl" <zepflo...@gmail.com>

Now, what's happened here? As far as I can remember, this is the first
time you've ever mentioned these two. Renate I can't comment on but
Annie Haslam I do know. Renaissance were a great band and she has a
wonderful soaring pure voice, but classic rock? You jest. Prog rock,
symphonic rock, yes. Classic rock? No. It's almost as daft as you
mentioning Sandy Denny, a great singer - but she does not belong in
this thread.

Dale Houstman

Nov 20, 2009, 7:07:03 AM11/20/09

Well, you have the "right" to call it a "unicorn's dumbwaiter" if you
like, but that don't make it a "unicorn's dumbwaiter". At any rate,
since you have agreed that the remaining musicians have a right to make
a living (a "tight" on a different level than your one to call it a
"travesty") then you are also agreeing that it is NOT a "travesty" (one
of those hyperbolic words applied lazily and often to such events). At
best you could now call it a financial necessity.

dmh

Ivan "Maximus" Lendl

Nov 20, 2009, 9:34:36 AM11/20/09

How is prog rock not classic rock? So Yes is not classic rock? I must
ask Houston classic rock 93.7 to stop playing Yes songs.

Jales

Nov 20, 2009, 10:02:42 AM11/20/09
On 19 nov, 19:08, Ivan Maximus Lendl <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> None of them are pop at least.

Depends on how you define “pop”… I call Britney Spears “pop”…

> Yes is far more agressive than Pink Floyd. Their songs have complicated structure but it is still rock.
> Any one who thinks Starship Trooper is not rock is a dumbass. Pink
> Floyd were rock as well (there is hardly any pop element).

Even if I agree on Starship Trooper being rock, you should agree
Revolution is also rock....

As for Pink Floyd, never heard a band with so few uptempo songs....
Except for Gilmour, they are IMO quite overrated as instrumentalists
and as musicians. Even their longest songs are pretty simple structure-
wise. They are very minimalistic, almost “atmospheric”, nevertheless I
do enjoy their music....

The studio disc on Ummagumma is a good example on filling a whole
record with sounds and few musical ideas. Ditto for Atom Heart Mother,
where Ron Geesin is the only one providing some ideas on a rather
repetitive backing by the Floyd.... It's not precisely a "rocking"
track....

> 50% or more of Beatles songs are pop, psychedelic pop, nursery rhymes or some
> lounge shit like Good Night.

The Beatles could never match Pink Floyd’s attempt at lounge music on
San Tropez

Both Pink Floyd and Yes never "rocked" as much as The Beatles on
Money, for example, a track which was recorded in 1963 with much less
recording technology available than anything recorded by Yes and Pink
Floyd. In fact, Yes did try to "rock" like the Beatles on I'm
Down.....

I'd say less than 15% of both Yes and Pink Floyd output is "rock"

> At least Yes/Floyd never made lullabies like Good Night.

Time And A Word, Soon, Onward and Time Is Time sound pretty like
lullabies to me (and I like ‘em all).... Fat Old Sun isn't what I'd
call rock music

Peach

Nov 20, 2009, 10:11:07 AM11/20/09
On Nov 19, 7:22 am, Ivan Maximus Lendl <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 19, 7:12 am, The Arranger <recur...@gmail.com> wrote:> On Nov 18, 7:48 pm, "Ivan \"Maximus\" Lendl" <zepflo...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > >http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/BLABBERMOUTH.NET/news.aspx?mode=Arti...
>
> > > According to U.K.'s Daily Mail, LED ZEPPELIN's Robert Plant has topped
> > > a poll of the greatest voices in rock organized by digital radio
> > > station Planet Rock. QUEEN's Freddie Mercury came second, Paul Rodgers
> > > of FREE came next while THE WHO frontman Roger Daltrey came fifth.
>
> > > The only female voice on the list was that of Janis Joplin.
>
> > The entire list could attend a Klan rally without anyone getting
> > suspicious. Music is becoming more segregated every day.
>
> Its amazing people diss on a list just because one of their favorite
> singers didn't make whilst ignoring all the great other things about
> the list like the list having many other great singers. Regarding the
> absence of women, how many great classic rock bands (not pop) had
> female singers? Almost next to none. Janis Joplin has no right to be
> in that list. She had a horrific screechy voice. A better choice could
> have been Sandy Denny or may be Grace Slick.

Ann Wilson says fuck you.

Peach

Peach

Nov 20, 2009, 10:13:03 AM11/20/09
On Nov 19, 2:23 pm, Fake <f...@nonet.net> wrote:
> Lou Reed?

Yea, I guess if we're going to have NEIL YOUNG on the list, we might
as well have Lou. Heh

Peach

Peach

Nov 20, 2009, 10:15:01 AM11/20/09
On Nov 19, 6:47 pm, "RichL" <rpleav...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> BlackMonk <BlackM...@email.msn.com> wrote:
> > "richforman" <rforma...@msn.com> wrote in message
> Wonder why no one has mentioned Ann or Nancy Wilson, though...- Hide quoted text -

I did.....just a little too late, I see.

Peach

Peach

Nov 20, 2009, 10:18:24 AM11/20/09
On Nov 18, 9:37 pm, number_six <cyberi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 18, 7:51 pm, Ivan Maximus Lendl <zepflo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 18, 9:40 pm, number_six <cyberi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > What a strange, stilted, unconvincing list.  Who are these nme voters?
>
> > > Was there no rock in the fifties?  Is this supposed to be a "classic
> > > rock" list but was not identified as such?
>
> > Classic rock stations typically play music from 60s, 70s and heavy
> > metal of the 80s. So no surprise there. 50s are considered as oldies
> > and usually are playing on oldies station. I am surprised so many
> > people are unaware of this.
>
> > > Did they disqualify every group that had more than one singer (Four
> > > Tops for example)??
>
> > > Did they never hear Patti Smith, Nico, Jim Morrison, Grace Slick or
> > > Andrew Eldritch?   Bono, Springsteen?  The mind reels.
>
> > Jimi Morrison, Bono, Bruce Springsteen are on the list. Get glasses.- Hide quoted text -

> It's not a matter of being *unaware* of this -- it's a matter of
> objecting to it.  The self-absorbed members of a particular generation
> began using the term "oldies" when the music of the fifties was still
> in recent memory (albeit not mine -- it predates me).  I reject the
> usage.  If they just say "rock" let them mean what they say.  I assure
> you that generation did not invent the term, and their music is far
> older now than the fifties music was when it began to be called
> oldies.
>
> Morrison is NOT on the portion of the nme list that you quoted.  I
> looked no further than the top 20 because it was manifestly clear it
> was an incalculably lame list.  That was the list to which my post
> made specific reference, not the planet rock list.  Perhaps your own
> powers of observation are not so great that you should be urging
> others to get glasses.
>
> Regarding Bono and Springsteen, you misunderstood me.  I should have
> said "instead there is Bono and Springsteen?"  The presence of these
> individuals -- and several others -- on a list purporting to set forth
> the greatest rock singers of all time is macabre, untenable.  These
> are among the most overrated performers of the rock era -- all of it.- Hide quoted text -

Would have liked to see Pete Ham on the list....sigh. Talk about
underrated.

Peach

It is loading more messages.