Most Famous Beatle Song Title

Rocket Scientist

Mar 13, 2008, 12:47:42 PM3/13/08
What would you consider as the most famous Beatle song title?

The obvious criteria would be:

1) It had to be unique. While "Yesterday" was an iconic Beatle song,
if the title was plastered on a billboard with no other descriptions,
not everyone would associate it with the Beatles song.

2) It must have had some commercial successful otherwise only Beatle
fans would instantly recognize it (e.g., "For the Benefit of Mr.
Kite").

My votes would be:

I Am the Walrus
A Hard Day's Night

What Beatle song title would you consider as being unmistakenly
associated with the Beatles by the general population? (It doesn't
matter whether you like the song or not, by the way.)

Of course, as anthems for the entire love and peace generation, "All
You Need Is Love" and "Give Peace a Chance" (okay, not technically a
Beatle song) would be high up there on the list of instantly
recognizable Beatle and Lennon song titles respectively.

-H

uly...@mscomm.com

Mar 13, 2008, 12:53:20 PM3/13/08
Hey Jude

RichL

Mar 13, 2008, 12:57:13 PM3/13/08
"I Want To Hold Your Hand"

Their first and most enduring hit in the US.

uly...@mscomm.com

Mar 13, 2008, 12:59:45 PM3/13/08
But that doesn't fit the rules of the first post. "I Want to Hold Your
Hand" on a billboard might mean an ad for a hand lotion.

JohnB

Mar 13, 2008, 1:03:13 PM3/13/08
I'd go with All You Need Is Love as the most famous title but I'd be
interested to see how many under 40s would instantly associate it with
the Beatles. I'd also be interested to see what difference there
would be between UK and USA. Here Strawberry Fields Forever may well
be the most famous title that would be instantly associated,
regardless of where it was seen.

fatt...@yahoo.com

Mar 13, 2008, 1:06:58 PM3/13/08
On Mar 13, 10:59 am, ulys...@mscomm.com wrote:
> But that doesn't fit the rules of the first post. "I Want to Hold Your
> Hand" on a billboard might mean an ad for a hand lotion.

LOL . . . . or a famous escort service which caters to governors. :-)

fatt...@yahoo.com

Mar 13, 2008, 1:08:56 PM3/13/08

The answer to this question I think can vary depending on the time and
place. In New York State at the moment, I'd guess the most famous
title presently would be Revolution # 9, #9, #9, #9.

fatt...@yahoo.com

Mar 13, 2008, 1:10:52 PM3/13/08
On Mar 13, 10:47 am, Rocket Scientist <hoaido...@altavista.com> wrote:

BTW, I also wanted to mention that if my memory serves me right,
several years ago there was a survey in England to nominate a Beatles'
song title to display at John Lennon Liverpool Airport. I vaguely
recall that the song chosen was All You Need is Love. Anyone out there
remember this?

JohnB

Mar 13, 2008, 1:13:58 PM3/13/08

I don't recall this survey but I believe that the lyric that is
prominently displayed is "Above us only sky". It works when taken out
of context, I suppose...

Nil

Mar 13, 2008, 1:15:21 PM3/13/08
On 13 Mar 2008, Rocket Scientist <hoai...@altavista.com> wrote in
rec.music.beatles:

> What would you consider as the most famous Beatle song title?

Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

fatt...@yahoo.com

Mar 13, 2008, 1:20:33 PM3/13/08
> of context, I suppose...- Hide quoted text -

Oh, then my memory is wrong. For some reason, I remember the title
All You Need is Love being voted for something . . . . Thanks for the
info.

fatt...@yahoo.com

Mar 13, 2008, 1:20:44 PM3/13/08
On Mar 13, 11:15 am, Nil <rednoise+n...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
> On 13 Mar 2008, Rocket Scientist <hoaido...@altavista.com> wrote in

> rec.music.beatles:
>
> > What would you consider as the most famous Beatle song title?
>
> Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

That's a good one.

JohnB

Mar 13, 2008, 1:23:44 PM3/13/08

Oh, I'm not saying your memory is wrong, just that I don't recall.
Happens more and more ... :-)

rfor...@msn.com

Mar 13, 2008, 1:37:49 PM3/13/08

I'd say "Let It Be" and "The Long and Winding Road" have been the most
repeated and overused in headlines, news stories, just everywhere,
they are cliches all to themselves now but usually used in conjunction
with things related to McCartney or the Beatles so that people will
still and always recognize the songs as being the original source of
the expression.

richforman

RichL

Mar 13, 2008, 1:47:08 PM3/13/08
uly...@mscomm.com wrote:
> But that doesn't fit the rules of the first post. "I Want to Hold Your
> Hand" on a billboard might mean an ad for a hand lotion.

If it were such an ad, millions would recognize its origin in the
Beatles tune.
"Yesterday", just by itself, doesn't evoke the group so clearly.

RichL

Mar 13, 2008, 1:49:40 PM3/13/08

I'd dispute that the songs are the original source. One might argue
that the expressions were in wider use after the songs were recorded,
but they were around long before that.

Rocket Scientist

Mar 13, 2008, 2:18:48 PM3/13/08
> rforma...@msn.com wrote:
> > I'd say "Let It Be" and "The Long and Winding Road" have been the most
> > repeated and overused in headlines, news stories, just everywhere,
> > they are cliches all to themselves now but usually used in conjunction
> > with things related to McCartney or the Beatles so that people will
> > still and always recognize the songs as being the original source of
> > the expression.
>
> > richforman

I considered LIB and TLAWR (as well as IWTHYH) because they were
famous Beatle songs but the titles themselves usually had to be used
in conjunction with McCartney or the Beatles for people to make the
association. If I were to read a newspaper article that included the
line: "People just won't let it be" or "I told her I want to hold your
hand," there wouldn't be an obvious Beatles connection there. Famous
songs but not "famous" song titles.

I would go with Nil's pick. If you were to read "Sgt. Pepper's lonely
hearts club band" anywhere, it would surely evoke the Beatles.

-H

bottl...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2008, 2:32:10 PM3/13/08
Yellow Submarine.

Small Kids who don't know anything about Sergeant Pepper know it.

Nil

Mar 13, 2008, 2:33:39 PM3/13/08
On 13 Mar 2008, Rocket Scientist <hoai...@altavista.com> wrote in
rec.music.beatles:

> I would go with Nil's pick. If you were to read "Sgt. Pepper's
> lonely hearts club band" anywhere, it would surely evoke the
> Beatles.

Right. The phrase immediatly evokes all kinds of iconic colorful,
psychedelic, Summer-of-Love images.

Another title that might be equally famous and unique: Yellow
Submarine.

gravedigger69

Mar 13, 2008, 2:38:48 PM3/13/08

"Helter Skelter" Any body over 40, Beatle's fan or not knows this
one. " I got blisters on my fingers" from typing.

Lookingglass

Mar 13, 2008, 3:36:03 PM3/13/08

"JohnB" <john...@tinyworld.co.uk> wrote

>Here Strawberry Fields Forever may well
> be the most famous title that would be instantly associated,
> regardless of where it was seen.

I'd go with STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER.

www.Shemakhan.com

Sean Carroll

Mar 13, 2008, 4:41:49 PM3/13/08
"Rocket Scientist" <hoai...@altavista.com> wrote

> My votes would be:
>
> I Am the Walrus
> A Hard Day's Night
>
> What Beatle song title would you consider as being unmistakenly
> associated with the Beatles by the general population? (It doesn't
> matter whether you like the song or not, by the way.)

A few come to mind. 'I Want to Hold Your Hand'. 'She Loves You'. 'Penny
Lane'. 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds'. 'Strawberry Fields Forever'. 'With a
Little Help from My Friends'. I'd say those are about in descending order.
There may be others not coming immediately to mind.

> Of course, as anthems for the entire love and peace generation, "All
> You Need Is Love" and "Give Peace a Chance" (okay, not technically a
> Beatle song) would be high up there on the list of instantly
> recognizable Beatle and Lennon song titles respectively.

I think 'Revolution' would be right behind those.

--
--Sean
http://spclsd223.livejournal.com

Wilson: Are you sure you're right?

House: Absolutely. Your socks don't match, which means you got dressed in
the dark, which means you don't want to wake your wife, which means you
don't want to talk to her, which means --

Wilson: I was referring to your patient.

House: Oh, that. No. Come on. I'm basing it on cheese!

Rocket Scientist

Mar 13, 2008, 5:14:10 PM3/13/08
On Mar 13, 1:41 pm, "Sean Carroll" <seanc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> A few come to mind.  'I Want to Hold Your Hand'. 'She Loves You'. 'Penny
> Lane'. 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds'. 'Strawberry Fields Forever'. 'With a
> Little Help from My Friends'. I'd say those are about in descending order.
> There may be others not coming immediately to mind.

> snip <

> I think 'Revolution' would be right behind those.

Based on the initial requirements, some of your song title selections
would not apply. For instance, if it was *not* stated that these were
"song titles" and they merely showed up in print somewhere, "she loves
you" would not be immediately associated with the Beatles. The same
goes for "with a little help from my friends." They are famous Beatle
songs but their titles are not unique and instantly associated with
the Beatles.

The same applies to "Revolution." If I read "The American Revolution
took place after the French Revolution," I would not immediately think
of the Beatles' Revolution. Now if I read "The American Sgt. Pepper's
Lonely Hearts Club Band is bigger than the French Sgt. Pepper's Lonely
Hearts Club Band," I would think: "What does this have to do with the
Beatles?"

-H

zepf...@yahoo.com

Mar 13, 2008, 6:25:04 PM3/13/08
On Mar 13, 11:47 am, Rocket Scientist <hoaido...@altavista.com> wrote:

Piggies.

modern

Mar 13, 2008, 8:40:02 PM3/13/08
Rocket Scientist wrote:
> What would you consider as the most famous Beatle song title?

Probably a stupid question.
Some titles almost stand out because the wording may have been
used in some type of commentary, or may have influenced other wordings.
I think of I Want To Hold Your Hand,
A Hard Days Night
Cant Buy Me Love (as opposed to Money)
Eight Days A Week
Tomorrow Never Knows
Strawberry Fields Forever
Penny Lane (place names stand out)
Magical Mystery Tour
Back In The USSR
Here Comes The Sun
Let It Be

The Long and Winding Road

uly...@mscomm.com

Mar 13, 2008, 9:39:58 PM3/13/08
Again, according to the criterion of the first post, Helter Skelter
doesn't cut it. Most people associate this with the Manson killings
(or least many people do). The same with songs like Here Comes the
Sun, Let it Be , The Long and Winding Road... all of those songs could
mean something else entirely than the song title.

As for Piggies, that's not even a famous Beatles song, in fact casual
Beatles fans would be hard pressed to hum along with it.

The song is supposed to be THE most famous Beatles song which can only
mean the song and nothing else.

I actually think the best songs which adhere to the original post's
criterion are:

Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

Strawberry Fields Forever

No one could confuse those titles with anything else. I also think Hey
Jude is a good one.

gravedigger69

Mar 13, 2008, 11:31:35 PM3/13/08

"With a Little Help From My Friends" was written for Joe Cocker.

JohnB

Mar 14, 2008, 5:17:51 AM3/14/08

I think if you imagine some situations, it may help.

1. If you saw someone walking down the street wearing a t-shirt on
which were the words "She Loves You", you would probably think
"Beatles".
2. If you saw a billboard containing a plain white poster on which the
words "She Loves You" were written in black (or vice-versa), you would
probably think "Beatles" - but maybe not as instantly as 1.
3. If you saw a magazine article with the headline "She Loves You", I
think it may take even longer for the association to become apparent.
4. If you saw the phrase "She Loves You" in the middle of some text
somewhere, say as part of a novel, it would probably pass you by
without any connection to the Beatles entering your mind.

Applying these four "tests" to the other song titles, as Beatles fans
we would probably recognise many and make the connection, but to the
average bloke-on-the-street (or lass, for that matter), I think the
ones that would make most immediate connection are:

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Strawberry Fields Forever
Yellow Submarine

JohnB

Mar 14, 2008, 5:40:56 AM3/14/08
On 14 Mar, 03:31, gravedigger69 <mojo1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
<snip>

> "With a Little Help From My Friends" was written for Joe Cocker.

Eh, what? It was written for Ringo. Joe Cocker's version wasn't
released until 1968 IIRC.

gravedigger69

Mar 14, 2008, 6:17:47 AM3/14/08

I stand by my post, Ringo wrote it for Cocker.

JohnB

Mar 14, 2008, 6:52:25 AM3/14/08

Oh dear :-| Ringo didn't write it. John & Paul wrote it together. I
seriously doubt Joe Cocker was in their thoughts at all back then.
You'll be telling me next that Something was written for Shirley
Bassey ...

gravedigger69

Mar 14, 2008, 7:05:38 AM3/14/08

I read in an interview with Ringo around 20 - 25yrs ago. It might have
been "Rolling Stone" magazine.

modern

Mar 14, 2008, 7:07:51 AM3/14/08
uly...@mscomm.com wrote:
> Again, according to the criterion of the first post, Helter Skelter
> doesn't cut it. Most people associate this with the Manson killings
> (or least many people do). The same with songs like Here Comes the
> Sun, Let it Be , The Long and Winding Road... all of those songs could
> mean something else entirely than the song title.

Replying to my reply with my content gone.
Title like 'Let It Be' 'The Long and Winding Road'
became metaphors for the Beatles.
The Beatles wanted to hold your hand but the Rolling Stones
wanted to burn down your village.
A message to all the fans at the end of the Beatle's career, Let It Be.
It had been a Long and Winding Road.
Beatles songs are just famous unless you want to be extremely pedantic.

> As for Piggies, that's not even a famous Beatles song, in fact casual
> Beatles fans would be hard pressed to hum along with it.
>
> The song is supposed to be THE most famous Beatles song which can only
> mean the song and nothing else.
>
> I actually think the best songs which adhere to the original post's
> criterion are:
>
> Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
> Strawberry Fields Forever
>
> No one could confuse those titles with anything else. I also think Hey
> Jude is a good one.

If someone couldn't even recognize a popular Beatle's song title I think
the argument is non-existent anyway, unless you are really surprising
this imaginary individual with unique words.

Jim

Mar 14, 2008, 9:45:53 AM3/14/08

"Nowhere Man" or "Yellow Submarine"

Rocket Scientist

Mar 19, 2008, 5:30:03 PM3/19/08
On Mar 14, 2:17 am, JohnB <johnbo...@tinyworld.co.uk> wrote:
> Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
> Strawberry Fields Forever
> Yellow Submarine

Thanks for the analysis. You would have to be thinking about "song
titles" for some to register as a Beatles song (e.g., she loves you,
all together now, fixing a hole).

Based on the criteria initially set forth, here are my votes for song
titles that are instantly recognizable for the artists listed (even if
you weren't thinking about song titles) because of their uniqueness:

Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
James Taylor - Fire and Rain
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
Credence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising
Peter, Paul, and Mary - Puff the Magic Dragon

What would you pick for:

Bob Dylan - ?
Rolling Stones - ?

Again, this has to do with their most famous song TITLE and NOT their
most famous song. The title that brings to mind the artist who
performed it.

-H

gravedigger69

Mar 19, 2008, 5:36:29 PM3/19/08

Dylan-- "Blowin in the Wind" Stones-- "Gimmie Shelter"

Lookingglass

Mar 19, 2008, 5:39:07 PM3/19/08

"Rocket Scientist" <hoai...@altavista.com> wrote

What would you pick for:

Bob Dylan - ?
***********************
LIKE A ROLLING STONE

Rolling Stones - ?
*****************
SATISFACTION

www.Shemakhan.com

JohnB

Mar 20, 2008, 5:59:54 AM3/20/08

Both good suggestions, but may I offer:

Dylan - Mr Tambourine Man; Stones - Sympathy For The Devil

ma...@one.net

Mar 20, 2008, 10:45:15 AM3/20/08

I'd go with:
Dylan - Like a Rolling Stone
Stones - I Can't Get No Satisfaction

rwalker

Mar 22, 2008, 11:18:48 PM3/22/08

"Lookingglass" <Shem...@comcast.net> wrote in message

I agree with half of that. I'd say:

Bob Dylan: Blowin' In the Wind

Stones: Satisfaction.

Lin Liangtai

Mar 25, 2008, 8:35:50 AM3/25/08
On 3月23日, 上午11時18分, "rwalker" <rwal...@despammed.com> wrote:
> "Lookingglass" <Shemak...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > "Rocket Scientist" <hoaido...@altavista.com> wrote

> > What would you pick for:
>
> > Bob Dylan - ?
> > ***********************
> > LIKE A ROLLING STONE
>
> > Rolling Stones - ?
> > SATISFACTION
>
> >www.Shemakhan.com
>
> I agree with half of that. I'd say:
>
> Bob Dylan: Blowin' In the Wind
>
> Stones: Satisfaction.- 隱藏被引用文字 -
>
> - 顯示被引用文字 -

The answer, my friend, is blowing in my words.