how many rpm's does *your* bike do @ 65mph?

Kenton Green

Jun 23, 1994, 7:00:53 AM6/23/94

Hello,

I am curious; at 65 mph (105 kph), how many rpm's is your bike
turning? I have seen mention of numbers in the 2-3k range, which
surprises me, because my two bikes ('74 CB450 and '77 750F) do
5400 and 4950, respectively.

I am especially interested in '69-78 Honda CB750K's, because I am
under the impression that their gear ratio in 4th and 5th is higher
than my 750F. If this is true, then they would be more suitable for
touring and add-on fairing, right?

Thanks,

Kenton

STEVE GRAHAM

Jun 23, 1994, 12:33:00 PM6/23/94
In article <KGRE.94Ju...@alder.lle.rochester.edu>, kg...@alder.lle.rochester.edu (Kenton Green) writes...

>Hello,
>
>I am curious; at 65 mph (105 kph), how many rpm's is your bike
>turning? I have seen mention of numbers in the 2-3k range, which
>surprises me, because my two bikes ('74 CB450 and '77 750F) do
>5400 and 4950, respectively.

My 94 ZX-9 does 4,000 at 65 mph. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to pull
the 12,000 rpm redline. Maybe down a big hill, with lots of wind...

Maybe NOS isn't such a bad deal :-} The nine does have a BIG trunk...

Hey, does anyone know if Mr. Turbo has released a similar injection/turbo
system for the 9, as they have for the 11.

For closed circuit use only, of course!

S. Graham

Stefan N Marsh

Jun 23, 1994, 1:06:24 PM6/23/94
Kenton Green <kg...@alder.lle.rochester.edu> wrote:

>I am curious; at 65 mph (105 kph), how many rpm's is your bike
>turning?

A lazy 4,500 RPM. The bike's real power is around 7,000.

o '84 Honda VF700C
==== O->O '85 Yamaha XV700

Stefan Marsh | Graduate Research Assistant, ACS Consultation Group
The Ohio State University

bcur...@dasd.honeywell.com

Jun 23, 1994, 2:03:20 PM6/23/94

Gear ratios range all over the place for different bikes. If I remember
correctly, the 750F is chain drive, right? If so, you should be able to
find different front/rear sprocket combinations to change your gearing
to whatever you want it to be, which would make your bike more suitable for
touring (or whatever). A decent shop (even mail order if you want to save
some money) should be able to set you up with the right combo. You'll
probably need to look and see what size your current sprockets are so they
can use them as a reference point to start with.

Good luck,
-bc

David Maconochie

Jun 23, 1994, 2:55:18 PM6/23/94
kg...@alder.lle.rochester.edu (Kenton Green) writes:

>Hello,

>I am curious; at 65 mph (105 kph), how many rpm's is your bike
>turning? I have seen mention of numbers in the 2-3k range, which
>surprises me, because my two bikes ('74 CB450 and '77 750F) do
>5400 and 4950, respectively.

About 12k in 1'st, 6500 in 2'nd, .... 4k in 5'th (K1)

>I am especially interested in '69-78 Honda CB750K's, because I am
>under the impression that their gear ratio in 4th and 5th is higher
>than my 750F. If this is true, then they would be more suitable for
>touring and add-on fairing, right?

Depends on the fairing. A barn of a touring fairing may have more wind
resistance than the unfaired bike and so a lower gearing may put the engine
at a more efficient rpm at 70 mph.

But come on, why are you worried when yoou have 750 ccs and 60 brake hosses?

>Thanks,

>Kenton

David Maconochie

Matt Staben

Jun 23, 1994, 3:37:02 PM6/23/94
Mine's at about 3500 RPM, or just beginning to drop into "turbo-banshee" howler
mode. It's a Honda CB1000C(ustom).

11ms...@gallua.gallaudet.edu
From the Desert in my Heart, Will the Innocent Be Loved? - Robert Plant

Dean Cookson

Jun 23, 1994, 3:08:36 PM6/23/94
>I am curious; at 65 mph (105 kph), how many rpm's is your bike
>turning?

5500 or so, out of an 11,500 redline.

--
| Dean Cookson / dcoo...@mitre.org / 617 271-2714 | DoD #207 AMA #573534 |
| The MITRE Corp. Burlington Rd., Bedford, Ma. 01730 | KotNML / KotB |

David M Kingsland

Jun 23, 1994, 5:56:42 PM6/23/94

|>Hello,
|>
|>I am curious; at 65 mph (105 kph), how many rpm's is your bike
|>turning? I have seen mention of numbers in the 2-3k range, which
|>surprises me, because my two bikes ('74 CB450 and '77 750F) do
|>5400 and 4950, respectively.

FJ1200 - about 3850
GS650G - about 5000
XS650SJ - about 4800 (hard to remember since I haven't ridden it in
a long time)

|>I am especially interested in '69-78 Honda CB750K's, because I am
|>under the impression that their gear ratio in 4th and 5th is higher
|>than my 750F. If this is true, then they would be more suitable for
|>touring and add-on fairing, right?

The gear ratio of the 750F can be raised by going down a tooth on the
rear sprocket (best way) or possibly by going up one tooth on the front
sprocket. Gearing shouldn't be the real issue. The F model Hondas of
the 70s and early 80s were the sport models. Your CB750F has a
different seating position that the K model, with the bars lower and
the pegs farther to the rear. It probably has a flatter seat and
better suspension as well. (looks better too, but that is just my
opinion) In comparison, the late 70's CB750K bikes had higher bars
and lower pegs, and a stepped seat??? (I think). They also had wire
spoke wheels. The riding position of the K model CB750s is not ideal
for touring without a fairing (can you say "barn door"). Without a
fairing, the CB750F probably has a more comfortable riding position.
With a fairing, the plain K model would probably be more comfortable.
You could probably add a fairing to your CB750F, change the gearing,
and possible swap the handlebar (if the current bar makes you lean too
far forward). In my opinion, the result would be a better bike than
anything you could do with the CB750K.

Dave Kingsland

|>Thanks,
|>
|>Kenton

Carsten Whimster

Jun 24, 1994, 11:09:08 AM6/24/94
>Hello,
>
>I am curious; at 65 mph (105 kph), how many rpm's is your bike
>turning? I have seen mention of numbers in the 2-3k range, which
>surprises me, because my two bikes ('74 CB450 and '77 750F) do
>5400 and 4950, respectively.

About 3500rpm. '86 SRX600S

>I am especially interested in '69-78 Honda CB750K's, because I am
>under the impression that their gear ratio in 4th and 5th is higher
>than my 750F. If this is true, then they would be more suitable for
>touring and add-on fairing, right?

Carsten Whimster --- EDM/2 Associate Editor
bcrw...@uwaterloo.ca --- EDM/2 Book Review columnist

Ravi Narayan

Jun 24, 1994, 10:26:04 AM6/24/94
In article <> dcoo...@mitre.org writes:
>In article <>,

>Kenton Green <> wrote:
>>I am curious; at 65 mph (105 kph), how many rpm's is your bike
>>turning?
>
>5500 or so, out of an 11,500 redline.

on the vfr? that cant be true.. it sounds way too high! my wheezer er,
gs500e does 65mph at 5000 odd rpm!

Brad Schmidt

Jun 24, 1994, 3:39:51 PM6/24/94
In article <1994Jun24.1...@big.att.com> r...@big.att.com (Ravi Narayan) writes:
>From: r...@big.att.com (Ravi Narayan)
>Subject: Re: how many rpm's does *your* bike do @ 65mph?
>Date: Fri, 24 Jun 1994 14:26:04 GMT
Heyyyyy.....65 is illegal in New York, so I wouldn't know.... :-)

Brad

Brad Schmidt * "We win the game, we happy 'bout that happen"
gof...@panix.com * - Esa Tikkanen, New York Rangers

Chris BeHanna

Jun 24, 1994, 3:56:50 PM6/24/94
In article <2ucfeg$m...@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> Stefan N Marsh (snm...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu) wrote:
:>In article <KGRE.94Ju...@alder.lle.rochester.edu>,
:>Kenton Green <kg...@alder.lle.rochester.edu> wrote:

:>>I am curious; at 65 mph (105 kph), how many rpm's is your bike
:>>turning?

:>A lazy 4,500 RPM. The bike's real power is around 7,000.

Zexy turns just over 4000 rpm at 65 mph (redline's 11,500 :-), and
she's barely breathing doing it.

Baby Bike turns around 5300 rpm at 65 mph, and he's working very hard
to do it.

The other bikes haven't been on the street to find out.

--
Chris BeHanna DoD# 114 KotSTA Ed Green 1975 CB360T - Baby Bike
beh...@syl.nj.nec.com Fan Club #004 1991 ZX-11 - Zexy

Gary Colson

Jun 24, 1994, 3:48:42 PM6/24/94
In article <KGRE.94Ju...@alder.lle.rochester.edu> kg...@alder.lle.rochester.edu (Kenton Green) writes:

>Hello,
>
>I am curious; at 65 mph (105 kph), how many rpm's is your bike
>turning?

My GL500 turns about 58K at 60.....at 65 probably 6200. I suspect
BMW's are at the low end around 3800 - 4500 at 65?

Gary

Jon Gefaell

Jun 24, 1994, 11:09:22 AM6/24/94

5KRPM@70MPH See .sig for bike.
--
http://Hopper.ITC.Virginia.EDU/~jeg7e/ - rec.motorcycles, soc.motss, rec.guns
\ \ / Jon Gefaell, Computer Systems Engineer | Amateur Radio, KD4CQY

Godfrey DiGiorgi

Jun 24, 1994, 6:33:14 PM6/24/94
The Ducati 907IE with stock gearing, in top gear, runs
3450 rpm at 65mph. With two teeth more on the rear sprocket it
runs about 3800. My Guzzi 850T runs about the same, a little
lower I think.

Tractors, eh?
-- <D> -------------------------------------------------------
Godfrey DiGiorgi - rama...@apple.com - Italian Fleet Operator

Stan Malyshev

Jun 24, 1994, 10:27:59 PM6/24/94
>>I am curious; at 65 mph (105 kph), how many rpm's is your bike
>>turning?

ZX6 - ~6700 at 80 mph, 14K redline.
CB - depends on local atmospheric conditions.

--
+ Stan Malyshev + Although it does not mindfully keep guard,
| st...@xcf.berkeley.edu | in the small mountain fields the scarecrow
| DoD#1299 | does not stand in vain.
+ '91 ZX6, '75 CB400F + - trans. Bukkoku Kokushi

Dave T Dorfman

Jun 24, 1994, 11:42:03 PM6/24/94
3250 @ 65MPH on a ST11 in 5th gear ( barely worth shifting into 5th for)

I'd keep it in forth for high speed passing and quick acceleration up to DOD
Nominal.
Dave

--

Dave Dorfman
da...@world.std.com (wk) 617-229-5810

Uri A. Feiner

Jun 25, 1994, 3:04:27 AM6/25/94
> My GL500 turns about 58K at 60.....at 65 probably 6200. I suspect
^^^
Quite a screamer you got there....

(OK, so I couldn't resist...)

Uri.

Jenner

Jun 25, 1994, 1:31:45 PM6/25/94
kg...@alder.lle.rochester.edu (Kenton Green) writes:

>Hello,

>I am curious; at 65 mph (105 kph), how many rpm's is your bike
>turning?

7500 with 6500 yet to go until redline.

jenner

JAMES M. FRANK

Jun 25, 1994, 5:35:31 PM6/25/94
In article <Crwq3...@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>, bcrw...@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca (Carsten Whimster) writes:
|> In article <KGRE.94Ju...@alder.lle.rochester.edu>,
|> Kenton Green <kg...@alder.lle.rochester.edu> wrote:
|> >
|> >Hello,
|> >
|> >I am curious; at 65 mph (105 kph), how many rpm's is your bike
|> >turning? I have seen mention of numbers in the 2-3k range, which
|> >surprises me, because my two bikes ('74 CB450 and '77 750F) do
|> >5400 and 4950, respectively.
|>
|> >I am especially interested in '69-78 Honda CB750K's, because I am
|> >under the impression that their gear ratio in 4th and 5th is higher
|> >than my 750F. If this is true, then they would be more suitable for
|> >touring and add-on fairing, right?

82 cb650sc: 5300 at 65mph and I get 50 mpg city and highway combined.

I normally ride between 70 and 80 going to work.

Jim

Kenton Green

Jun 25, 1994, 7:15:02 PM6/25/94
In article <1994Jun25.0...@emba.uvm.edu> ufe...@moose.uvm.edu (Uri A. Feiner) writes:
> My GL500 turns about 58K at 60.....at 65 probably 6200. I suspect
^^^
Quite a screamer you got there....

Actually, he didn't mention that he has installed an aftermarket
turbine engine.

The one great advantage he has (to offset the horrible acceleration
lag) is that tailgaters get all sorts of partially combusted hydrocarbons
all over their windshield.

Kenton

Charles M. Robinson

Jun 26, 1994, 12:41:45 PM6/26/94
JAMES M. FRANK (fra...@sd2.af.mil) wrote:

..[snip]...

>I normally ride between 70 and 80 going to work.

So did I, three tickets ago....

James Gillespie

Jun 27, 1994, 7:47:37 AM6/27/94

>I am curious; at 65 mph (105 kph), how many rpm's is your bike turning?

About 5800, '91 GPz 305. Took her out on the open road for the
first time yesterday and I HAD A BLAST! Hang on, I'll just go and
check that figure ;-)

Jim

Jim Gillespie /~~~~~\ Strong typing is for people with weak memories.
j...@sbil.co.uk / O o \
+44 71 721 2672 / < \ -- REAL PROGRAMMERS DON'T WRITE SPECS
__/~\__________/ \_____/ \_______________________________________________

Robert W Tayloe Jr

Jun 27, 1994, 1:03:03 PM6/27/94
In article <KGRE.94Ju...@alder.lle.rochester.edu>, Kenton Green <kg...@alder.lle.rochester.edu> wrote:

>I am curious; at 65 mph (105 kph), how many rpm's is your bike turning?

'94 BMW R1100 RS has indicated ~3400 rpm @ 65 mph in fifth gear.

--Rob Tayloe

ride safe

David Lane

Jun 27, 1994, 2:40:51 PM6/27/94
4200

BMW '92 R100GS - Maggie
David Lane
la...@unislc.slc.unisys.com

David Gibbs

Jun 27, 1994, 8:05:55 PM6/27/94
>kg...@alder.lle.rochester.edu (Kenton Green) writes:
>
>>Hello,
>
>>I am curious; at 65 mph (105 kph), how many rpm's is your bike
>>turning?

Just a touch under 4000. (6th gear, Kawasaki Concours)

-David
(dag...@qnx.com)

Ryan Montieth Gill

Jun 27, 1994, 11:21:42 PM6/27/94
Kenton Green (kg...@alder.lle.rochester.edu) wrote:

Not to mention the really great contrails on cold mornis!!!

--
- Ryan Montieth Gill Emory University Hosp QCA Net Admin -
- Unix: la...@emoryu1.cc.emory.edu -DoD# 0780/AMA# 337288 -

David Svoboda

Jun 27, 1994, 12:20:22 PM6/27/94
In article <2ug4nf$3...@agate.berkeley.edu>,

Stan Malyshev <st...@sting.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:
|>>I am curious; at 65 mph (105 kph), how many rpm's is your bike
|>>turning?
|

|ZX6 - ~6700 at 80 mph, 14K redline.

Maybe you misread, he asked for 65mph. That would be 5024 for you.

|CB - depends on local atmospheric conditions.

Your gearing ratio depends on the weather? How curious...

Mine:

Concours: 3800 or so at 65
Hawk 400: gee, I never go that fast. About 6500, I think.
RZ: can't tell, since speedo on front wheel, and front wheel in air

Dave Svoboda (svo...@ranger.rtsg.mot.com) | I think God's got a sick
90 Concours 1000 (Mmmmmmmmmm!) | sense of humor, and when
84 RZ 350 (Ring Ding) (Woops!) | I die, I expect to find
78 CB400T Hawk (Baby Honda) | Him laughing...
AMA 583905 DoD #0330 COG 939 (Chicago) | - Depeche Mode

Jeff &

Jun 28, 1994, 2:17:47 AM6/28/94
>I am curious; at 65 mph (105 kph), how many rpm's is your bike
>turning?

'90 Pacific Coast (PC800) - 4,200 RPM
'83 V45 Magna (VF750) - not registered, can't test. :(

- Jeff

Jerry Stubbs

Jun 28, 1994, 9:33:35 AM6/28/94
Suzuki GN400: ~ 5800rpm @ 65mph

stu...@cs.ukans.edu

Nick Pettefar

Jun 28, 1994, 7:09:13 AM6/28/94
>kg...@alder.lle.rochester.edu (Kenton Green) writes:
>
>Hello,
>
>I am curious; at 65 mph (105 kph), how many rpm's is your bike turning?

47193

Lambretta 50, downhill in 1st, following a large pantechnicon.

My wrists are still zinging.
--

Nick (It's all true)

M'Lud. He who road rashly Concise Oxford Dictionary

Stuart Savory

Jun 28, 1994, 9:32:26 AM6/28/94
In article <++37...@qnx.com> dag...@qnx.com (David Gibbs) writes:

>>kg...@alder.lle.rochester.edu (Kenton Green) writes:
>>at 65 mph (105 kph), how many rpm's is your bike turning?
Lessee, ZX10 goes 270kph at 10000, so 105 = 3889rpm
MuZ Skorpion = 4100 rpm at 105

FLAMEBAIT ON
Harley? Nah! Harleys dont go 105 kph!
Harley? Zero (Harleys cant turn, they just go straight)
Oh, you mean rpms the engine is turning ;)
FLAMEBAIT OFF
Dr. Stuart Savory savor...@sni.de / savor...@sni-usa.com
"If we knew what it was we were doing,
it would not be called research, would it?". A.Einstein

Chris Pirih

Jun 28, 1994, 8:44:54 AM6/28/94
>Kenton Green <kg...@alder.lle.rochester.edu> wrote:
>
>>I am curious; at 65 mph (105 kph), how many rpm's is your bike turning?

About 10000, in first gear. 4100 in fifth (top) gear. That's
the FZR1000. The other bikes I'm not too sure of... The 900ss
sure doesn't want to be in 6th at 65 though -- it'd be turning
about 3000 (9000 redline).

---
chris

Jon Gefaell

Jun 28, 1994, 10:45:57 AM6/28/94
In article <Crxoy...@world.std.com>,

Dave T Dorfman <da...@world.std.com> wrote:
>3250 @ 65MPH on a ST11 in 5th gear ( barely worth shifting into 5th for)
>
>I'd keep it in forth for high speed passing and quick acceleration up to DOD
>Nominal.

Oh, I C, that must PROLOG the excitment. Speed just SNOBOL's from there,
if you've ASSEMBLEd things correctly.

Gary Colson

Jun 28, 1994, 12:03:55 PM6/28/94
In article <1994Jun25.0...@emba.uvm.edu> ufe...@moose.uvm.edu (Uri A. Feiner) writes:

That really hurts!..........almost as much as my ears after listening
to the engine noise reverberating off the fairing after 200 miles.

Gary

Avinash Mahajan

Jun 28, 1994, 3:18:44 PM6/28/94
In article <++37...@qnx.com>, David Gibbs <dag...@qnx.com> wrote:
:

just a touch under 5000 for the kawasaki GPz550 in 6th gear of course.

- avi.

--

--Avinash Mahajan [amah...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu]
(512)471 3598 (work) DoD# 1324

Steve Barton

Jun 28, 1994, 6:32:13 PM6/28/94
>I am curious; at 65 mph (105 kph), how many rpm's is your bike turning?

4500 rpm @ 65 mph. '86 VFR750F. last owner said vaguely that at last
chain replacement he might've "gone down one tooth on front sprocket."

-steve

Mic Bergen

Jun 28, 1994, 5:50:23 PM6/28/94
My K75S doess EXACTLY 4500 rpm at 65 mph. I know this because I just
finished the 600 mile break in phase, during which you're not supposed to
do extended rpm's over 4500, so 65 was my top speed. This was really
annoying when my friend on the Virago 535 kept passing me!

-Mic

--
=====X=====X=====X=====X=====X=====X=====X=====X=====X=====X=====X=====X=====X
Michael C. Bergen | "I'm going to live forever, or die in the attempt!"

Sheryl Katz

Jun 28, 1994, 6:35:33 PM6/28/94
Katana 750 - 5000 rpm
Ninja 250 - 8000 rpm
--
Sherry Katz - slk...@netcom.com
Los Angeles, CA; Katana 750 Ninja 250 Taurus SHO.

Dr. Speed DoD8177

Jun 29, 1994, 9:25:09 AM6/29/94
4,750 on a 77 CB750K Honda.

Dr. Speed = Spe...@Engr.LaTech.Edu
WWW Home Page = http://info.latech.edu/~speedy/
DoD#8177: KotSFAQ, 81 GS850G "Zuke"
SOHC/4#0035: 77 CB750K "FrankenHonda"
"Dammit Jim! I'm a Technician, not a Student!"

Richard Whitehead

Jun 29, 1994, 3:26:24 AM6/29/94
In article 2E0B...@panix.com, gof...@panix.com (Brad Schmidt) writes:
|In article <1994Jun24.1...@big.att.com> r...@big.att.com (Ravi Narayan) writes:
|>From: r...@big.att.com (Ravi Narayan)
|>Subject: Re: how many rpm's does *your* bike do @ 65mph?
|>Date: Fri, 24 Jun 1994 14:26:04 GMT
|Heyyyyy.....65 is illegal in New York, so I wouldn't know.... :-)
|
|Brad

Mmmmm, I'm not sure either, 65 is a speed that witnessed on my speedo so
fleetingly I haven't got time to notice, I can say however, that a Trident
Sprint spins at a heady 5250 rpm at 80 mph. (80 mph being the "unofficial"
limit in the UK).

--
Cheers, Richard.
________

John W. Markus

Jun 29, 1994, 10:50:20 AM6/29/94
>Kenton Green <kg...@alder.lle.rochester.edu> wrote:

>>I am curious; at 65 mph (105 kph), how many rpm's is your bike turning?

4800rpm @ 65 mph SecaII

(The XR doesn't have a tach or a speedo, so I couldn't tell ya)

John-
| | | |
|John Markus (jma...@drmail.dr.att.com)| DoD | '85 Honda XR350 |
| System Test- AT&T Laboratories | | |
| Denver, Co |#0988| '92 Yamaha Seca II |
|_______________________________________|_____|_______________________|
| Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone, |
| But they could be yours too for a small fee! :) |
|_____________________________________________________________________|

Victor Austin

Jun 29, 1994, 7:42:56 AM6/29/94
4,000 on a 93 Honda CBR900RR.

Prashanth Rayasa

Jun 29, 1994, 1:30:28 PM6/29/94
>Hello,

>I am curious; at 65 mph (105 kph), how many rpm's is your bike
>turning?

Are you kidding?! The F2 can't go THAT fast! ;-)
Prashanth Rayasa 1992 Honda CBR600F2
IBM Boca Raton 1986 Honda VF500 Interceptor
Florida. 1984 Average Cage (Transportation)
Disclaimer: Do I really need one......%*#?!

Victor L. Johnson

Jun 29, 1994, 3:18:54 PM6/29/94
Kenton Green (kg...@alder.lle.rochester.edu) sez:

: I am curious; at 65 mph (105 kph), how many rpm's is your bike
: turning?

Looks to be just a tad shy of 4600 rpm on an '89 Hawk.

Cheers, @
Victor "Dances with Hawks" Johnson ... #%\
______________________________________O^_O__________________________________
Advanced Systems Division Hewlett Packard
Graphics Software Lab 3404 East Harmony Road
(303/T)-229-6759 Fort Collins, CO 80525

Phil Buglass

Jun 29, 1994, 3:15:32 PM6/29/94
In article <Cs43o...@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> je...@Hopper.itc.Virginia.EDU (Jon Gefaell) writes:
>In article <Crxoy...@world.std.com>,
>Dave T Dorfman <da...@world.std.com> wrote:
>>3250 @ 65MPH on a ST11 in 5th gear ( barely worth shifting into 5th for)
>>
>>I'd keep it in forth for high speed passing and quick acceleration up to DOD
>>Nominal.

Pretty BASIC stuff, really... Just APLy some common sense FORTRANsitting
busy roads. Oh, and be careful on COBOLled streets (ouch!)

Phil.

Carey D. Kemppainen

Jun 29, 1994, 4:09:54 PM6/29/94
Kenton Green (kg...@alder.lle.rochester.edu) wrote:
:
: I am curious; at 65 mph (105 kph), how many rpm's is your bike
: turning? I have seen mention of numbers in the 2-3k range, which
snip.. snip.. 8<

'79 CB750K LTD 5th: 4800
4th: 5500
3rd: 7000
2nd: 9000
1st: 0 (engine blows up <g>)

regards, -carey (cdke...@mtu.edu)

Robert W Tayloe Jr

Jun 29, 1994, 10:25:22 PM6/29/94
Harley Davidson Electra Glide, 1994

~2800 rpm @ 65 mph

David Lane

Jun 29, 1994, 10:36:58 AM6/29/94

Alan D. Horne

Jun 30, 1994, 11:00:08 AM6/30/94
5th Gear : ~4000 : 65mph : 1993 Moto Guzzi 1000S

'75 Moto Guzzi 850 T "Indefatigable" | I ride a Moto Guzzi, therefore I am...
'93 Moto Guzzi 1000S " " |
Al Horne

Paul Schnettler

Jun 30, 1994, 1:00:07 PM6/30/94
Also make sure to take it easy when you PASs CAL state troopers at DoD nominal
speeds. It's also easier to get a licence if you have a C++ average from the
MSF course final exam!
#;')...
Paul

Allan Cruet

Jun 30, 1994, 4:19:05 PM6/30/94
nothing deleted...
there was no text?

I guess he doesn't have a Bike but wants to be included in this thread?
--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::

ajabl...@vax.clarku.edu

Jun 30, 1994, 4:20:38 PM6/30/94
In a previous article, kg...@alder.lle.rochester.edu (Kenton Green) wrote:
>In article <1994Jun25.0...@emba.uvm.edu> ufe...@moose.uvm.edu (Uri A. Feiner) writes:
> > My GL500 turns about 58K at 60.....at 65 probably 6200. I suspect
> ^^^
> Quite a screamer you got there....
>
>Actually, he didn't mention that he has installed an aftermarket
>turbine engine.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Whoa! What is exactly a "turbine engine"?
As far as I know engines are normally aspirated, supercharged (not on bikes
thou I would love to see it), turbocharged and rotary type.

>The one great advantage he has (to offset the horrible acceleration lag
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
.... sounds like a big slow spinning turbo, eh? :)

>lag) is that tailgaters get all sorts of partially combusted hydrocarbons
>all over their windshield.
>
>Kenton

Just curious, Alex

Howard A Carson

Jun 30, 1994, 8:22:51 PM6/30/94
In article <1994Jun30....@pslu1.psl.wisc.edu>,
Hey guys, ya better watch this stuff, or it's likely to
SNOBOL ...

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
'90 Suzuki VX800 (My Better Half) | Howard Carson DoD #1306
'93 F150 Lightning (for Phase 4) | car...@pogo.den.mmc.com
Sr. Analyst, Astro Information Services, Princeton, NJ, USA
My views are my own. Neither Martin nor Marietta wants 'em!
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*

John M. Feiereisen

Jul 1, 1994, 1:08:18 PM7/1/94
In article <30JUN94....@vax.clarku.edu>, ajabl...@vax.clarku.edu
wrote:

> Whoa! What is exactly a "turbine engine"?
> As far as I know engines are normally aspirated, supercharged (not on bikes
> thou I would love to see it), turbocharged and rotary type.

Take your standard turbocharged piston engine. Scrap the engine
and connect the outlet of the compressor side of the turbocharger
to a combustor. Connect the outlet of the combuster to the inlet
of the turbine side of the turbocharger. Extend the shaft of the
turbocharger and drive the input of your transmission. Spin it up,
dump in lots of fuel, and light it up.

All jet engines are turbine engines. Almost all propellor engines
on commuter aircraft are turbine engines.

I work in a gas turbine laboratory here at Purdue. We are in the
process of setting up an experiment which is powered by an Allison
C30 gas turbine engine. This particular one is rated at 550 hp and
I can easily lift it. Imagine mounting something like this in a
motorcycle!!!!!!!!!

John M. Feiereisen feie...@ecn.purdue.edu
'85 CB700SC Nighthawk High-Speed Backpacker

Peter Schaefer

Jul 1, 1994, 2:03:16 PM7/1/94
In article <feiereis-0...@tspcmac14.ecn.purdue.edu>, feie...@ecn.purdue.edu (John M. Feiereisen) writes:
[blah blah blah.....]

|> I work in a gas turbine laboratory here at Purdue. We are in the
|> process of setting up an experiment which is powered by an Allison
|> C30 gas turbine engine. This particular one is rated at 550 hp and
|> I can easily lift it. Imagine mounting something like this in a
|> motorcycle!!!!!!!!!
With afterburner? That would be cool! huh huh..... Does Allison make something
like the C30 in a turboshaft config? Maybe with a nice big bypass around the
driveshaft turbine so you could run the engine up to 100% before engaging
the final driveshaft! You'd need no transmission for such a beast. You'd
have to put in a bleed-air system to force your front wheel down!
Sooooo.... just how much does one of these C30's bulk? Small enough
for a CBR frame?
Pete Schaefer scha...@alien.dfrf.nasa.gov -or- scha...@cs1.dfrf.nasa.gov

John W. Markus

Jul 1, 1994, 2:36:33 PM7/1/94
ajabl...@vax.clarku.edu writes:

>Whoa! What is exactly a "turbine engine"?
>As far as I know engines are normally aspirated, supercharged (not on bikes
>thou I would love to see it), turbocharged and rotary type.

It's a small engine that is worn on top of the head in Iraq. They are
usually used in conjunction with a little propeller normally seen on
kid's 'beanie' type hats.

OH!, scratch that. I thought you meant turban engines. My bag. ;-)

Ravi

Jul 1, 1994, 12:00:57 PM7/1/94
In a previous article, (Robert W Tayloe Jr) said:

>Harley Davidson Electra Glide, 1994
> ~2800 rpm @ 65 mph

look! a brand new fishing hole!

Dean Cookson

Jul 1, 1994, 3:27:29 PM7/1/94
In article <Cs9yC...@bigtop.dr.att.com>,

John W. Markus <jma...@elvis.dr.att.com> wrote:
>OH!, scratch that. I thought you meant turban engines. My bag. ;-)

Hey! this is a family newsgroup. Let's keep your bag out of it.

--
| Dean Cookson / dcoo...@mitre.org / 617 271-2714 | DoD #207 AMA #573534 |
| The MITRE Corp. Burlington Rd., Bedford, Ma. 01730 | KotNML / KotB |
| "You don't have to inhale it, just don't chew." | '92 VFR750F |
| --Matt Harper / These opinions are mine only, who else would want them? |

Bemben

Jul 1, 1994, 3:00:10 PM7/1/94
In article <feiereis-0...@tspcmac14.ecn.purdue.edu> feie...@ecn.purdue.edu (John M. Feiereisen) writes:
>I work in a gas turbine laboratory here at Purdue. We are in the
>process of setting up an experiment which is powered by an Allison
>C30 gas turbine engine. This particular one is rated at 550 hp and
>I can easily lift it. Imagine mounting something like this in a
>motorcycle!!!!!!!!!

Hummmnnn, yahhhh, I'm wondering what the gearng would be on something like
that. I would think that if you wanted to avoid smoking te rear tyre at
each stop light you'd need something like a 20 speed gear box 8-}...

--
Rich Bemben rbe...@mbunix.mitre.org
DoD #0044 (617) 271-7136

Peter Schaefer

Jul 1, 1994, 3:40:53 PM7/1/94
In article <2v1p3q$s...@linus.mitre.org>, rbe...@mbunix.mitre.org (Bemben) writes:
|> In article <feiereis-0...@tspcmac14.ecn.purdue.edu> feie...@ecn.purdue.edu (John M. Feiereisen) writes:
|> >I work in a gas turbine laboratory here at Purdue. We are in the
|> >process of setting up an experiment which is powered by an Allison
|> >C30 gas turbine engine. This particular one is rated at 550 hp and
|> >I can easily lift it. Imagine mounting something like this in a
|> >motorcycle!!!!!!!!!

|> Hummmnnn, yahhhh, I'm wondering what the gearng would be on something like
|> that. I would think that if you wanted to avoid smoking te rear tyre at
|> each stop light you'd need something like a 20 speed gear box 8-}...

Not at all! You wouldn't even need a gearbox. Figure that your engine has
a final turbine stage (drive turbine ?) which solely drives the output shaft
(which either drives your chain or connects like a conventional shaft drive).
You put a bypass duct around the drive turbine that you can vary the opening
on. If you want to disengage power to the rear wheel, open the duct and
start throttling back. To get power to the wheel, close the duct and throttle
up. For a real thrill, lock up your brakes, open the duct, throttle up to
100%, then snap the duct shut while releasing brakes. Instant power to the
wheels. Simultaneous control of the duct and fuel flow would be tough (replace
clutch handle with variable duct control, gear shifter with discrete duct
control - full open setting for neutral). Naturally, a bike with a turbine
engine should have an afterburner.
Anybody want to fund the development of this idea? I've thought of this
before, but can't afford to do it by my lonesome.

Stephen Cook

Jul 1, 1994, 8:32:39 PM7/1/94

Levels off at a cool 5,000 on my Honda CB750

John M. Feiereisen

Jul 1, 1994, 4:51:10 PM7/1/94
> >In article <1994Jun25.0...@emba.uvm.edu> ufe...@moose.uvm.edu (Uri A. Feiner) writes:

snip snip snip

> > > My GL500 turns about 58K at 60.....at 65 probably 6200. I suspect

snip snip snip

> >Actually, he didn't mention that he has installed an aftermarket
> >turbine engine.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

snip snip snip

Duhhhhh.... I lose track of who said what.

Question: Did the guy install an aftermarket turbine engine or
an aftermarket turbocharger. There is a small difference.

If it is a turbine engine, who built it? Enquiring minds want to know.

John M. Feiereisen

Jul 1, 1994, 4:44:53 PM7/1/94
In article <1994Jul1.1...@news.dfrf.nasa.gov>,

scha...@halon.dfrf.nasa.gov (Peter Schaefer) wrote:
> Not at all! You wouldn't even need a gearbox. Figure that your engine has
> a final turbine stage (drive turbine ?) which solely drives the output shaft
> (which either drives your chain or connects like a conventional shaft drive).
> You put a bypass duct around the drive turbine that you can vary the opening
> on. If you want to disengage power to the rear wheel, open the duct and
> start throttling back. To get power to the wheel, close the duct and throttle
> up. For a real thrill, lock up your brakes, open the duct, throttle up to
> 100%, then snap the duct shut while releasing brakes. Instant power to the
> wheels. Simultaneous control of the duct and fuel flow would be tough (replace
> clutch handle with variable duct control, gear shifter with discrete duct
> control - full open setting for neutral). Naturally, a bike with a turbine
> engine should have an afterburner.
> Anybody want to fund the development of this idea? I've thought of this
> before, but can't afford to do it by my lonesome.

You have your gas generator section hot and spinning. You slam shut this
sort of waste gate, and KABOOM!!!!!!!

Your power turbine will be stalled before it even starts spinning. The
massive flow separation will tend to block the flow passages. There's
no place for the gases to go so they create their own passages.

I would *NOT* like to have this happen between my legs.

Afterburners are only good for turbine engines which accelerate the
flow from the gas generator through a nozzle for propulsion (jet
engines). Dumping extra fuel into the exhaust of a turboshaft engine
makes for a pretty light show, though. (Ever see the gas turbine
powered tractors used in tractor pulls?)

Ravi

Jul 1, 1994, 3:43:37 PM7/1/94
In a previous article, p...@pslu1.psl.wisc.edu (Paul Schnettler) said:
>In article <> bl...@tpe.ncm.com (Phil Buglass) writes:
>>In article <> je...@Hopper.itc.Virginia.EDU (Jon Gefaell) writes:

>>Pretty BASIC stuff, really... Just APLy some common sense FORTRANsitting
>>busy roads. Oh, and be careful on COBOLled streets (ouch!)
>>
>Also make sure to take it easy when you PASs CAL state troopers at DoD nominal
>speeds. It's also easier to get a licence if you have a C++ average from the
>MSF course final exam!

didnt you intend to add that squids need not APLy? this thread seems
to be SNOBOLing quite fast ;-).

spelling flames anyone? ;-)

John Wesley Lewellen IV

Jul 1, 1994, 5:18:55 PM7/1/94

Bemben <rbe...@mbunix.mitre.org> wrote:
>In article <feiereis-0...@tspcmac14.ecn.purdue.edu> feie...@ecn.purdue.edu (John M. Feiereisen) writes:
>>I work in a gas turbine laboratory here at Purdue. We are in the
>>process of setting up an experiment which is powered by an Allison
>>C30 gas turbine engine. This particular one is rated at 550 hp and
>>I can easily lift it. Imagine mounting something like this in a
>>motorcycle!!!!!!!!!
>
>Hummmnnn, yahhhh, I'm wondering what the gearng would be on something like
>that. I would think that if you wanted to avoid smoking te rear tyre at
>each stop light you'd need something like a 20 speed gear box 8-}...

Or, we could simply use a turbojet. (Crankshaft? We don' need no steenking
crankshaft!) As in a plane, direct the exhaust backwards and away you go.
No need for a transmission at all, actually, if you do it this way.

Other benefits:
- really neat effects at night
- afterburner option for high(er) speeds
- fold-down winglets for the fork and rear shocks that let you
_really_ fly!
- special "flamethrower" afterburner for the tailgaters out there.

Of course, we might need to increase the gas tank size on most bikes a wee
bit....

- John L.

Leic Cooper

Jul 1, 1994, 4:44:40 PM7/1/94
>In article <1994Jun24.1...@big.att.com> r...@big.att.com (Ravi Narayan) writes:
>[...]
>Heyyyyy.....65 is illegal in New York, so I wouldn't know.... :-)
>[...]

>Richard Whitehead (rich...@micromuse.co.uk) wrote:
> Mmmmm, I'm not sure either, 65 is a speed that witnessed on my speedo so
> fleetingly I haven't got time to notice, I can say however, that a Trident
> Sprint spins at a heady 5250 rpm at 80 mph. (80 mph being the "unofficial"
> limit in the UK).

65? 80? What's that? What's that thing about speed limits? You got to
watch out or you'll be dying out of old age!!! ehehhehehehe!
Try covering the plate with some shit and ride faster than the cops...!
It's surely exilerating!

At 65 mine is about 3500 rpm... but I can't tell for shure since the
motorbyke has no rpm counter...! (XT600E)

See ya...

Valerio

* *
* /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ *
* / \ /\ / \ /\ / \ /\ / \ /\ / \ /\ / \ /\ *
* /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\ *
*/ \ \/ \ \/ \ \/ \ \/ \ \/ \ \ *
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
* _o *
* O\_| *
* O ......... ........ ...... .... .. . Vruuuummmm! *
* *
*_________________________________________________________________________*
* /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ *
* / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ *
* /||\ /||\ /||\ /||\ /||\ /||\ /||\ /||\ /||\ *
* || || || || || || || || || *
* *

Nick Pettefar

Jul 2, 1994, 12:47:23 PM7/2/94
In article <feiereis-0...@tspcmac14.ecn.purdue.edu> feie...@ecn.purdue.edu writes:

>I work in a gas turbine laboratory here at Purdue. We are in the
>process of setting up an experiment which is powered by an Allison
>C30 gas turbine engine. This particular one is rated at 550 hp and
>I can easily lift it. Imagine mounting something like this in a
>motorcycle!!!!!!!!!

I fear the fuel tank might be a trifle large though.
--

Nick (It's all true)

M'Lud. He who road rashly Concise Oxford Dictionary

.--------------------------------------------------------------.
| ni...@holly.ukmail.NET Tel. ++44 81 340 9623 DoD 1069, OGRI |
`--------------------------------------------------------------'

Jacqueline Kowtko

Jul 5, 1994, 12:44:27 PM7/5/94

Zero.

To go that fast it would have to be cargo in a bigger vehicle.
:-)

Yamaha T80,
fast on the twisties but slow on the straights

--
/ Jacqueline Kowtko | Human Communication Research Centre \
| | University of Edinburgh |

Mike Pesko

Jul 5, 1994, 1:01:57 PM7/5/94

4500rmp @ 65mph 86 virago 700

Curt Howland

Jul 6, 1994, 12:30:55 AM7/6/94
I don't know what the RPM's are at 65mph,
that's over the speed limit.

Curt-
DoD#0663

Kenton Green

Jul 6, 1994, 7:10:59 AM7/6/94
In article <feiereis-0...@tspcmac14.ecn.purdue.edu> feie...@ecn.purdue.edu (John M. Feiereisen) writes:

snip snip snip

snip snip snip

snip snip snip

John,

Actually, the comment you quoted above that begins with "Actually" is
*MY* comment. I have a small start-up company in Cement City Michigan,
(yes, that is really a real town) installing a complete turn-key turbine
(not turbo) system on all late-model Indian, Vincent and Triumph motor-
cycles, including but not limited to the '42 Limited Edition Spagthorpe.

You can e-mail me for complete specs, including dyno testing, and
speed trials on a closed course (the Michigan International Speedway in
Brooklyn Michigan) performed by an independant third-party (namely
Penske Racing and Penske Motorspeedways, Inc).

Send any of the above bikes, postage-paid, via any convenient overland
(this offer is limited to the continental US due to the fact that I do
not want to deal with export hassles; sorry) shipper of your choice,
along with the title, the keys, and a prayer to this address:
TurBike Enterprises
c/o Kenton Green
16361 Cement City Rd.
Cement City MI 49233

I will get back to you on price and expected completion date.

;)

Matt Jannusch

Jul 7, 1994, 6:32:53 PM7/7/94
In article <2vdc1v$j...@news.arc.nasa.gov>
how...@noc.arc.nasa.gov (Curt Howland) writes:

Well, here in Minnesota where the interstates are 65, my ZX-11 is right
around 3800 rpm. The GSXR is right around 6000, but the bike is
nowhere near stock, so that probably wouldn't hold true for other
GSXR's.

Had to mention the part about interstates just to be PC. Yeah,
whatever.
___________________
Matt Jannusch

'88 GSXR-750, '91 ZX-11

Daniel P. Woodard

Jul 7, 1994, 8:25:45 PM7/7/94
4300 @ 65mph
BMW K75s
--

Daniel P. Woodard "Did bad hunting. Killed nothing."
law...@gsusgi2.gsu.edu Clive Metcalfe, 1888

pcor...@pop.long-beach.va.gov

Jul 8, 1994, 10:31:10 AM7/8/94

GSX1100G 1993
4300 rmp @65 mph

Tim Kinnel

Jul 10, 1994, 12:42:12 AM7/10/94
5400 RPM @ 65 mph

'80 Suzuki GS550

Tim Kinnel kin...@lobelia.physics.wisc.edu
Dept. of Physics
U. of Wisconsin
Madtown, WI

upal ghosh

Jul 8, 1994, 3:07:39 PM7/8/94

3800 @ 65 mph, Redline & 7000 rpm

75 SUZUKI T500

Dan J. Declerck

Jul 11, 1994, 4:08:40 PM7/11/94
~3500 rpm

1994 Kawasaki ZX-11 D2.

Note that at 90 mph it's at about 5K rpm's and
that it has an 11.5 K redline.

-Dan

--
=> Dan DeClerck | EMAIL: decl...@rtsg.mot.com <=
=> Motorola Cellular APD | <=

Roserunner

Jul 11, 1994, 8:02:48 PM7/11/94
4000 @ 65mph
FZR1000

----
"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast,
than to go in fast and come out dead." Stirling Moss
rose...@noller.com -- lotsa names, lotsa numbers, lotsa kids, lotsa bikes

Gaz

Jul 12, 1994, 10:01:17 AM7/12/94

I was on my way to work, riding at a nice steady speed along the main road
(the A44 for those who know). As I approadched a small junction (a nice blind
variety, where the road doubles back to run parallel to the one I was on,
meaning my visibility into the juction was about 10 ft due to a building right
on the juction), some olde phart that was not visable two milliseconds ago
shoots straight out into the road.

My immediate action is to think shiiiiiiit, and hit the brakes.....hard.
The olde phart by this time has actually seen me, and stops dead..... at 45
degrees (facing me) across my lane of the main road (he was trying to cross
my lane to turn right, this is a no right turn juction because this manouver
is so bloody dangerous). I think shiiiiiit again, as I realise I shall
actually have to stop, as there is no room to go around the bastard that now
looms as large as an aircraft carrier. The front tyre is happily screaming to
itself and the rear is on its way to meet it, as I realise I am short of about
a yard, and unless I move somewhere I'm going to hit.

I let off the front enough to stop it sliding and turn to the left, allowing
the back to continue its slide. When the bike is aligned, now pointing at the
hedge at 45 degrees, I let off the rear and again hit the front hard,
managing this time to stop. I ended up stopping parallel to the car, level
with the rear door/wing, both of us being at 45 degrees
across the road, with all of six inches between me and the car.

I drop the FJ onto the sidestand, and walk around to abuse the guy. When I get
to him he is white and shaking, and looked as if he was about to be ill.
What's the point I think, so I just climb back onto the bike and bugger off on
a high speed the adrenalin charge (and to get shot of the smell of shit that
seems to be following me...)

Some days just seem to start off bad.

sigh.

Gaz

Gaz

Jul 12, 1994, 9:58:26 AM7/12/94
> jeff_c...@smtp.esl.com (Jeff Campbell) writes:

>JC - An Oregon native on the <**ONCE**> Fastest Production Motorcycle in
>the World!

Boy, are you out of date. I suggest the above ammendment to your sig.

Gaz

Gaz

Jul 12, 1994, 10:05:19 AM7/12/94
>Brian Downing (b...@panix.com) wrote:
>: In article <2vjrmd$9...@agate.berkeley.edu> web...@ariel.cea.berkeley.edu
>(Daniel Webster) writes:

>: >A couple of weeks ago I was in the San Francisco area on business. On
>: >Sunday at about noon I was driving my rent-a-cage down 19th Ave. in
>: >S.F. when I spotted a guy on a BMW boxer. He was standing straight up
>: >on the pegs with his arms outstretched as if crucified. Is this
>: >anybody we know?
>: >

>: Yes! Yes it is! Jesus doesn't ride a Harley. He rides a BMW.

>: Yeah, but I spotted Elvis the other day in the K-Mart parking lot and he
>: was just about to mount his hog.

I don't suppose anything else is heavy enough to carry him.....

Gaz

Gaz

Jul 12, 1994, 10:07:07 AM7/12/94
> pur...@helios.usq.EDU.AU (RedPhoenix....Leigh Purdie) writes:

>Just a thought....

>Have noticed that in Oz, the traditional form of greeting between bikers
>seems to lean more towards a look&nod rather than a wave.

>I wonder if this is the same in the UK/Europe - where the closest (and
>therefore the most noticable) hand to a oncoming biker is also your throtle
>hand... any left-side-of-the-road-riders out there notice something
>similar? ///, ////
> \ /, / >.
Around here it is a pretty even split between the two, I usually nod unless
it is someone I know.

Gaz

Gaz

Jul 12, 1994, 10:06:24 AM7/12/94
> la...@emoryu1.cc.emory.edu (Ryan Montieth Gill) writes:

>I did see a couple out on a bike fri night. twas alittle 250 suzi
>twin. The guy was wearing a 3/4 helmet, the girl was wearing a full
>that was two sizes too large. 'Pulled up next to them and she
>looked at me (after we exchanged greetings) and said, "aren't those
>hot?..?" (the leathers I wear are full coverage; jeans, jacket, rr
>boots and gloves, they are hot but as someone said I'd rather sweat
>than bleed).... So as she looks me over I point to the road and say
>"Well the asphalt's very abrasive. It can get rather painful if you
>fall" she replies "thats asuming you're going to fall". " I smile
>(beneath my helmet) and say, " you will..." She had a puzzeled look
>on her face as I pulled away since the light had changed...

>She was wearing a sleveless shirt, tight jeans and nice shoes... (She
>looked rather pretty, I'd hate to see her all bloddied because of
>some dumb cager (or her boyufriend). He had a pair fo shorts, a
>short sleeve shirt and sneakers. (3/4 helmet...with stars and
>stripes... the bike looked as if he'd pulled it out of an early
>seventies Suzi ad.... )

>Sad pair of kids....

Can't agree more Ryan, a stars and stripes helmet..........shit, in need of an
analyst I would say.

Gaz

Andy Woodward

Jul 12, 1994, 11:21:22 AM7/12/94
>I was on my way to work, riding at a nice steady speed along the main road
>(the A44 for those who know). As I approadched a small junction (a nice blind
>variety, where the road doubles back to run parallel to the one I was on,
>meaning my visibility into the juction was about 10 ft due to a building right
>on the juction), some olde phart that was not visable two milliseconds ago
>shoots straight out into the road.

>My immediate action is to think shiiiiiiit, and hit the brakes.....hard.
>The olde phart by this time has actually seen me, and stops dead..... at 45
>degrees (facing me) across my lane of the main road (he was trying to cross
>my lane to turn right, this is a no right turn juction because this manouver
>is so bloody dangerous). I think shiiiiiit again, as I realise I shall
>actually have to stop, as there is no room to go around the bastard that now
>looms as large as an aircraft carrier. The front tyre is happily screaming to
>itself and the rear is on its way to meet it, as I realise I am short of about
>a yard, and unless I move somewhere I'm going to hit.

>I let off the front enough to stop it sliding and turn to the left, allowing
>the back to continue its slide. When the bike is aligned, now pointing at the
>hedge at 45 degrees, I let off the rear and again hit the front hard,

So you highsided - 100% DEFINITE!!!!

It is well known that YOU CANT DO THIS STUFF WITHOUT HIGHSIDING AND DYING.

P.S. I just love that Ouija board connection to your Aethernet card.

Just another roadkill on the Information Superhighway

Jeff Campbell

Jul 12, 1994, 12:40:41 PM7/12/94

No ammendment needed. The ZX-11 is STILL the Fastest Production Motorcycle
in the World!

Unless I have somehow missed some late breaking news. Is there actually
something faster? If there is such a monster I've yet to hear about it and
until I do and confirm the validity of such info my sig will remain
unchanged.

--
JC - An Oregon native on the Fastest Production Motorcycle in the World!

91' ZX-11 (Way Fast) **** ZX-11, Ride One or Follow One!! ****
86' Nighthawk S (Outta here)
79' XS-11 (good riddance) Numbers?! We don't need no
78' XL-350 (long gone) stinking DoD numbers!

Jim

Jul 12, 1994, 1:47:55 PM7/12/94
>The olde phart by this time has actually seen me, and stops dead..... at 45

Why do people, when confronted with a cluster-foxtrot, automatically go after
the brakes? Speeding up is just as good, if not better, than slowing down
for getting out of several types of situations.

For instance, if the olde phart (TM) had punched it, he probably would not have
forced poor Gaz into that high pucker-factor stop.
--
ji...@access.digex.net | 1993 GSX600F Katana: "Kitty" | NOT a product of outcome
Clarksburg, MD | MARRC Corner Worker | based education!

gh...@inferno.com

Jul 12, 1994, 10:01:19 PM7/12/94

CB550SS 1977
4500rpm @65mph

Robert W Tayloe Jr

Jul 13, 1994, 8:17:37 AM7/13/94
In article <1994Jul1.1...@big.att.com>,
Ravi Narayan <Ravi Nar...@big.att.com> wrote:
>In a previous article, (Robert W Tayloe Jr) said:
>>
>>Harley Davidson Electra Glide, 1994
>> ~2800 rpm @ 65 mph
>>

> look! a brand new fishing hole!

Sir,

Are you perhaps referring to my industrial grade boat anchor? :-)
But what a shiney boat anchor it is!

Rob Tayloe

---ride safe---

jon diaz-CID DR

Jul 13, 1994, 8:16:06 AM7/13/94
In article <jeff_campbell...@m31106.esl.com>, jeff_c...@smtp.esl.com (Jeff Campbell) writes:
|> In article <gjs.1028...@aber.ac.uk>, g...@aber.ac.uk (Gaz) wrote:
|>
|> > Boy, are you out of date. I suggest the above ammendment to your sig.
|> >
|> > Gaz
|>
|> No ammendment needed. The ZX-11 is STILL the Fastest Production Motorcycle
|> in the World!
|>
|> Unless I have somehow missed some late breaking news. Is there actually
|> something faster? If there is such a monster I've yet to hear about it and
|> until I do and confirm the validity of such info my sig will remain
|> unchanged.

Actually, the D model is faster than the C model because the larger 'Ninja'
decals on the side of the fairing add at least 4mph to the top speed. Have you
noticed how the Team Muzzy race bikes have larger 'Ninja" decals than they used
to? I rest my case.

jon diaz

hypothetical paragon

Jul 13, 1994, 5:08:23 PM7/13/94
gh...@inferno.com writes:

>CB550SS 1977
>4500rpm @65mph

1989 Honda CB-1 (400-F)
8000 rpm @ 65 mph

cat...@netcom.com
1989 Honda CB-1 >>> the mighty mouse/chicken hawk
DoD Conformist #1330

Wallace Roberts

Jul 13, 1994, 9:52:00 PM7/13/94
well, let's see... i rode the baby bike (650 nighthawk) in today & this
very question popped into my head, so i...

<toss out the anchor>
<slow down to 65mph>
<observe speedo: ~4150 rpm @ indicated 65 mph>
<quickly re-accelerate back up to cruise (missile) speed>

with that 6th gear overdrive, the baby bike maintains pretty low revs.
i'll have to check out animal's ranking on this issue tomorrow. i
imagine either dirtbike (especially dirt devil) would be revving pretty
hard @ 65mph... :->

gears,
ye wilde ryder
--
robe...@agcs.com | 86 cr250 "dirt devil" 83 v65 magna "animal"
"E Pluribus Unix" | 79 it250 "mr. reliable" 84 650 nighthawk ">> for sale <<"

Andy Weaver

Jul 13, 1994, 6:06:38 PM7/13/94
92 Seca II 600
5000rpm @ 65mph

Wallace Roberts

Jul 14, 1994, 10:04:53 AM7/14/94
glad to hear you're still with us after that close call. even better to
hear that you're none the worse for wear, except for the skidmarks in the
underwear, that is.

now, about that evil braking-in-a-corner habit you still have, old boy... :-D

Egenberger Frank

Jul 14, 1994, 5:29:41 AM7/14/94
DR 800 BiG (SR 42 B)
4100 rpm @105 km/h @65 mph

The Beav

Jul 14, 1994, 10:25:39 AM7/14/94
'84 V65 Sabre
3500@65mph

= The Beav | Mike Beavington | mbea...@bnr.ca | Dod #9733 | Ottawa, Canada =
= V65Sabre <Velociraptor> my opinions<>bnr opinions =
= If a cow laughed, would milk come out her nose? =

Matt Jannusch

Jul 14, 1994, 7:18:27 PM7/14/94
In article <300lu6$c...@delphinium.cig.mot.com>

di...@sol.rtsg.mot.com (jon diaz-CID DR) writes:

> Actually, the D model is faster than the C model because the larger 'Ninja'
> decals on the side of the fairing add at least 4mph to the top speed. Have you
> noticed how the Team Muzzy race bikes have larger 'Ninja" decals than they used
> to? I rest my case.

That's kind of interesting... Where can I get those larger decals for
mine? Heh. Actually, according to all the magazine tests, the
real-world performance is virtually unchanged from all the other
ZX-11's. The only thing I can tell is that it is heavier...

Matt Jannusch Network Administrator
ma...@fallon.com Fallon McElligott
'88 GSXR-750 '91 ZX-11

I OWN THE NIGHTHAWK

Jul 14, 1994, 11:52:00 PM7/14/94
In article <3030i5$s...@wega.rz.uni-ulm.de>, EGENB...@rzmain.rz.uni-ulm.de (Egenberger Frank) writes...

>DR 800 BiG (SR 42 B)
>4100 rpm @105 km/h @65 mph

Just shy of 4300 @ 65mph

or 10000 in 2nd gear :)

+==============================================================================+
| Ethan Bowerman DoD# 682 1983 CB650SC Nighthawk |
| -- "Hey... who cuts yer' hair man?" __ "Nothing clears the mind quite |
| -- Cheech and Chong like a maxed out tach and a |
| -- "A closed mouth contains no feet." buried speedometer." |
| -- Unknown -- Me |
+==============================================================================+

Egenberger Frank

Jul 17, 1994, 10:24:21 AM7/17/94
In <Csyqo...@acsu.buffalo.edu> v058...@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

i drive the german edition of the DR 800 Big, maybe something is different
to the american one's.
Frank and his DR Big>

Eric Simmon

Jul 18, 1994, 5:56:19 PM7/18/94