Smallest cylinders

Bryan Ischo

Sep 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/12/96

Just out of curiosity ...

What's the multi-cylinder production bike with the smallest cylinders? I got
to thinking the other day how my CB-1 has four 100cc cylinders, and I don't
know of any bikes with smaller displacements per cylinder. I suppose the
FZR400, CBR400RR have similar configurations, but does anything else have
anything smaller - scooters not included - ? Even the Ninja 250 has two 125cc
cylinders.

Just askin',
Bryan
Bryan Ischo mailto:b...@connectinc.com
Mountain View, CA, USA http://www.connectinc.com
Linux Aficionado 1990 Honda CB-1

Dr Ivan D Reid, muSR Facility

Sep 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/13/96

In article <vkg24n8...@atari.connectinc.com>, Bryan Ischo wrote:
>What's the multi-cylinder production bike with the smallest cylinders? I got
>to thinking the other day how my CB-1 has four 100cc cylinders, and I don't
>know of any bikes with smaller displacements per cylinder.

They have four-cylinder 250s in Japan -- they're not exported to many
other countries.

--
Ivan Reid, Paul Scherrer Institute, CH. re...@psi.ch
GSX600F, RG250WD. SI=2.66 "You Porsche. Me pass!" DoD #484

Ron Wiegand

Sep 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/13/96

Bryan Ischo wrote:

> What's the multi-cylinder production bike with the smallest cylinders? I got
> to thinking the other day how my CB-1 has four 100cc cylinders, and I don't
> know of any bikes with smaller displacements per cylinder. I suppose the
> FZR400, CBR400RR have similar configurations, but does anything else have
> anything smaller - scooters not included - ? Even the Ninja 250 has two 125cc
> cylinders.

CB350-four, circa 1973

This significant problems we face today can not be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein
Ronald J. Wiegand Jr., CCP.
phone: (716) 253-1202 wie...@kodak.com
DoD#2484 -'72 CL-350 'Frank' _=o&o>_ http://www.kodak.com

Paul R. Buettner

Sep 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/13/96

b...@connectinc.com (Bryan Ischo) wrote:

>Just out of curiosity ...
>

>What's the multi-cylinder production bike with the smallest cylinders? I got
>to thinking the other day how my CB-1 has four 100cc cylinders, and I don't
>know of any bikes with smaller displacements per cylinder. I suppose the
>FZR400, CBR400RR have similar configurations, but does anything else have
>anything smaller - scooters not included - ? Even the Ninja 250 has two 125cc
>cylinders.
>

>Just askin',
>Bryan
>--
>Bryan Ischo mailto:b...@connectinc.com
>Mountain View, CA, USA http://www.connectinc.com
>Linux Aficionado 1990 Honda CB-1

The first one I can think of is the Honda CB3450 four.
Paul

Thumper916

Sep 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/13/96

Not sure but the CBX had 6 cyls,what was the displacement?

James M. Politte

Sep 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/13/96

In article <51d26d$5...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, thump...@aol.com
(Thumper916) wrote:

> Not sure but the CBX had 6 cyls,what was the displacement?

A bit under 1050cc. 1047 or some such odd number.

J.Politte

Scott C. Sullivan

Sep 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/13/96

In a galaxy far, far away, Bryan Ischo typed:

> What's the multi-cylinder production bike with the smallest cylinders? I got
> to thinking the other day how my CB-1 has four 100cc cylinders, and I don't
> know of any bikes with smaller displacements per cylinder. I suppose the
> FZR400, CBR400RR have similar configurations, but does anything else have
> anything smaller - scooters not included - ? Even the Ninja 250 has two 125cc
> cylinders.

I've heard that Yamaha made a 100cc TWIN in the late 60's or
early 70's. Two stroke, of course.

+ ============================================================== +
| '74 Honda CB750 '69 Polaris Mustang 270 '82 Yamaha QT50 |
| *** Scott Sullivan -- scsu...@mtu.edu *** |
| Can't stand to see a good motorcycle down on its luck... |
+ ============================================================== +
_
)/___ __ "Protected by the most powerful
__/(750)=====p -~ theft deterrents known to man:
/ /\\OHC\`/~~\\ _~ old age, obsolescence, and oxidation."
\__/ \======_/ ~ -- (TM) S.C.S. Productions, 1996

Kenneth Scherer

Sep 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/14/96

>I've heard that Yamaha made a 100cc TWIN in the late 60's or
>early 70's. Two stroke, of course.
>

>===================
and a 'way cool' bike it was too!!!
smallest piston I know of:
****How about the Honda 6 cyl 250cc road racer (60's vintage)
****How about the 1966 Honda CB160 (twin)
****How about the Honda 50 Cub...(street legal)
oh shit on this old crap. where's my Honda Blackbird???

BILL WOLF

Sep 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/14/96

> I've heard that Yamaha made a 100cc TWIN in the late 60's or
> early 70's. Two stroke, of course.

Yes Yamaha offered a 100cc 2 stroke twin YL1 and Electric Start model
YL1E both with Pressed Steel Frame in 1966 and 67.
Then in 1970 and 71 they had a cute little 90cc with a tubular frame
dubbed the HS1 and HS1B. This was replaced by the LS2 100cc for 1972
with a tube frame. They also had the YAS1C in 1968 followed by the AS2C
IN 1969 and the RD125B in 1975 and the RD125C in 1976 these were all
125cc with Twin tube frame and were quite high performers for there
size. This goes back to when Bob Braverman used to write for Cycle World
if any of you still remember him
--
Best Regards Bill Wolf EMAIL <CY...@LTEC.NET>
Phone (402) 463-6686 FAX (402) 463-8203 CELLULAR (402)469-8132

Kyaphas Wells

Sep 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/14/96

On 13 Sep 1996 15:53:09 GMT, re...@psi.ch (Dr Ivan D Reid, muSR

Facility) wrote:
>In article <vkg24n8...@atari.connectinc.com>, Bryan Ischo wrote:
>>What's the multi-cylinder production bike with the smallest cylinders? I got
>>to thinking the other day how my CB-1 has four 100cc cylinders, and I don't
>>know of any bikes with smaller displacements per cylinder.
>
> They have four-cylinder 250s in Japan -- they're not exported to many
>other countries.
>
>--
>Ivan Reid, Paul Scherrer Institute, CH. re...@psi.ch
>GSX600F, RG250WD. SI=2.66 "You Porsche. Me pass!" DoD #484
>JKLO# 003, 005 WP7# 3000 UKMC#00009
> KotPT -- "for stupidity above and beyond the call of duty".

There's an FZR250 for sale right around here (northern VA) euro-spec,
if anyone really cares....email me if you'd like more info.

Jack Hunt

Sep 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/14/96

Scott C. Sullivan wrote:

> In a galaxy far, far away, Bryan Ischo typed:
>
> > What's the multi-cylinder production bike with the smallest cylinders? I got
> > to thinking the other day how my CB-1 has four 100cc cylinders, and I don't
> > know of any bikes with smaller displacements per cylinder. I suppose the
> > FZR400, CBR400RR have similar configurations, but does anything else have
> > anything smaller - scooters not included - ? Even the Ninja 250 has two 125cc
> > cylinders.
>
> I've heard that Yamaha made a 100cc TWIN in the late 60's or
> early 70's. Two stroke, of course.

I recently sold a service manual that covered Honda 125-360 twins, made
from 1964-1976. That would put the cylinders of the 125 at 62.5cc each.
Ask jdb...@onramp.net, he bought the book.
--
Jack Hunt '83 V-45 Magna "Old Blue" BWW#5 FYB#2 AI#001
PowWow: Ja...@beanstalk.giant see http://www.tribal.com

Jim Yahnke

Sep 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/14/96

Bryan Ischo wrote:

> Just out of curiosity ...
>
> What's the multi-cylinder production bike with the smallest cylinders? I got
> to thinking the other day how my CB-1 has four 100cc cylinders, and I don't
> know of any bikes with smaller displacements per cylinder. I suppose the
> FZR400, CBR400RR have similar configurations, but does anything else have
> anything smaller - scooters not included - ? Even the Ninja 250 has two 125cc
> cylinders.
>
> Just askin',
> Bryan
> --
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------> Bryan Ischo mailto:b...@connectinc.com
> Mountain View, CA, USA http://www.connectinc.com
> Linux Aficionado 1990 Honda CB-1

Bryan,

One has to look back at Honda's Roadracer's of the 1960's. I forget the
model number (cb166??) but Honda had a 250 cc six cylinder (41.67
c.c.'s/per cylinder) , and a 50 c.c. twin and a five cylinder 125c.c.
bike (25 c.c.'s per). All world champions, I believe.

Jim
jya...@pacbell.net

Jim Yahnke

Sep 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/14/96

Steve Manes

Sep 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/15/96

Kenneth Scherer (tho...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: ****How about the Honda 6 cyl 250cc road racer (60's vintage)

The RC165. They're small (I helped nobby Clark... in a useless,
"hold this" sort of way... rebuild one after it grendaded at
Daytona this year with Jim Redman riding). But Honda's 5-cylinder
125cc is even more minute. However neither are "production motorcycles".

---------------------[ http://www.nylink.org/~manes ]-----------=o&>o------
Steve Manes | The Bottom Line | for subscription info,
N'Yawk, N'Yawk | NYC Motorcyclists | email ser...@magpie.com
94 FLHR 95 Super III | Triumph MC Owners | with the message text,
ma...@magpie.com | Motorcycle Safety | "lists"

Janice in NYC

Sep 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/16/96

pa...@dzn.com (Paul R. Buettner) wrote:

>The first one I can think of is the Honda CB3450 four.

Hmmm. That would make each cylinder displace about 862
cc's............

>Paul

Bunyan?

Anthony Potts

Sep 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/16/96
to Bryan Ischo

On 12 Sep 1996, Bryan Ischo wrote:

> Just out of curiosity ...
>
> What's the multi-cylinder production bike with the smallest cylinders? I got
> to thinking the other day how my CB-1 has four 100cc cylinders, and I don't
> know of any bikes with smaller displacements per cylinder. I suppose the
> FZR400, CBR400RR have similar configurations, but does anything else have
> anything smaller - scooters not included - ? Even the Ninja 250 has two 125cc
> cylinders.
>
> Just askin',
> Bryan
> --

Well, the FZR250, ZZR250, and so on all have 250cc engines which have 4
cylinders.

Joe (Tools-R-Us)

Sep 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/16/96

In article <3239DD...@kodak.com>,
on Fri, 13 Sep 1996 15:19:02 -0700,

Ron Wiegand <Ron> writes:

>CB350-four, circa 1973
>
>This significant problems we face today can not be solved at the same
> level of thinking we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein
>Ronald J. Wiegand Jr., CCP.
>phone: (716) 253-1202 wie...@kodak.com
>DoD#2484 -'72 CL-350 'Frank' _=o&o>_ http://www.kodak.com

I think I've got you beat here:

About the same ('73-ish) era, Yamaha made a 90cc twin - pretty nifty
little street bike - Sure would like to get my hands on one today..........

Signature line? WDNNS signature line!
j_...@vnet.ibm.com

SAXYDJ

Sep 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/16/96

Jim Yahnke wrote:

> Bryan Ischo wrote:
> >
> > Just out of curiosity ...
> >
> > What's the multi-cylinder production bike with the smallest cylinders? I got
> > to thinking the other day how my CB-1 has four 100cc cylinders, and I don't
> > know of any bikes with smaller displacements per cylinder. I suppose the
> > FZR400, CBR400RR have similar configurations, but does anything else have
> > anything smaller - scooters not included - ? Even the Ninja 250 has two 125cc
> > cylinders.
> >
> > Just askin',
> > Bryan
> > --
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------> Bryan Ischo mailto:b...@connectinc.com
> > Mountain View, CA, USA http://www.connectinc.com
> > Linux Aficionado 1990 Honda CB-1
>
> Bryan,
>
> One has to look back at Honda's Roadracer's of the 1960's. I forget the
> model number (cb166??) but Honda had a 250 cc six cylinder (41.67
> c.c.'s/per cylinder) , and a 50 c.c. twin and a five cylinder 125c.c.
> bike (25 c.c.'s per). All world champions, I believe.
>
> Jim
> jya...@pacbell.net

and i believe Benelli (remember them!) made a 250cc 6 cyl also!
--
sax...@taconic.net crystal clear productions
'96 shadow (1100) The best in DJ entertainment!

"If our motor's running right we could lose control tonight...LET IT
ROLL!!

dmdapw

Sep 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/17/96

Paul R. Buettner wrote:

> b...@connectinc.com (Bryan Ischo) wrote:
>

> >Just out of curiosity ...
> >
> >What's the multi-cylinder production bike with the smallest cylinders? I got
> >to thinking the other day how my CB-1 has four 100cc cylinders, and I don't
> >know of any bikes with smaller displacements per cylinder. I suppose the
> >FZR400, CBR400RR have similar configurations, but does anything else have
> >anything smaller - scooters not included - ? Even the Ninja 250 has two 125cc
> >cylinders.
> >
> >Just askin',
> >Bryan

Yamaha FZR250 and Honda CBR250 are both four cylinder four strokes.

FZR redlines at 17500, CBR at 19000! No power but lots of noise!

Dave Browne
'90 FZR250 (dead)
'92 FZR1000 (also dead)
'96 YZF1000R (very much alive!)
Dod #1570

Gaz

Sep 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/17/96

In article <323B54...@waun.tdsnet.com> Jack Hunt <jhu...@waun.tdsnet.com> writes:
>From: Jack Hunt <jhu...@waun.tdsnet.com>
>Subject: Re: Smallest cylinders
>Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 20:57:42 -0400

>Scott C. Sullivan wrote:
>>
>> In a galaxy far, far away, Bryan Ischo typed:
>>

>> > What's the multi-cylinder production bike with the smallest cylinders? I
>got
>> > to thinking the other day how my CB-1 has four 100cc cylinders, and I don't
>> > know of any bikes with smaller displacements per cylinder. I suppose the
>> > FZR400, CBR400RR have similar configurations, but does anything else have
>> > anything smaller - scooters not included - ? Even the Ninja 250 has two
>125cc
>> > cylinders.
>>

>> I've heard that Yamaha made a 100cc TWIN in the late 60's or
>> early 70's. Two stroke, of course.

>I recently sold a service manual that covered Honda 125-360 twins, made
>from 1964-1976. That would put the cylinders of the 125 at 62.5cc each.

Along with the Benelli Quatro (250/4) and the suzuki stinger (125/2)

Steve Manes

Sep 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/17/96

SAXYDJ (sax...@taconic.net) wrote:
: and i believe Benelli (remember them!) made a 250cc 6 cyl also!

Benelli made a six-cylinder 750 street bike in the early 70s. No
6-cyl 250 race bike that I know of. Kel Carruthers used to race a
a very cool looking, green/gold 4-cylinder Benelli 350 though.

Anthony Potts

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96

On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, dmdapw wrote:

> Yamaha FZR250 and Honda CBR250 are both four cylinder four strokes.
>
> FZR redlines at 17500, CBR at 19000! No power but lots of noise!
>
> Dave Browne

Actually, they put out more power than Harley big twins. 45bhp measured at
the back wheel is the standard amount for a four cylinder four stroke 250.

Craig Faison

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96

ma...@magpie.com (Steve Manes) wrote:
>SAXYDJ (sax...@taconic.net) wrote:
>: and i believe Benelli (remember them!) made a 250cc 6 cyl also!
>
>Benelli made a six-cylinder 750 street bike in the early 70s. No
>6-cyl 250 race bike that I know of. Kel Carruthers used to race a
>a very cool looking, green/gold 4-cylinder Benelli 350 though.

I'm almost 100% sure Honda made a 250cc 6cyl race bike, but I can't find
the magazine article anywhere...

anyone?

Craig D. Faison phone 302.325.5737
Kodak Imaging Services fax 302.322.2233
259 Quigley Blvd., Suite E Email cfa...@magpage.com
New Castle, DE 19720 http://www.magpage.com/~cfaison/
DoD #891000

Greg Henderson

Sep 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/18/96

In article <51pe74$4...@tofu.alt.net>, Craig Faison <cfa...@magpage.com> writes:
|> ma...@magpie.com (Steve Manes) wrote:
|> >SAXYDJ (sax...@taconic.net) wrote:
|> >: and i believe Benelli (remember them!) made a 250cc 6 cyl also!
|> >
|> >Benelli made a six-cylinder 750 street bike in the early 70s. No
|> >6-cyl 250 race bike that I know of. Kel Carruthers used to race a
|> >a very cool looking, green/gold 4-cylinder Benelli 350 though.
|>

|> I'm almost 100% sure Honda made a 250cc 6cyl race bike, but I can't find
|> the magazine article anywhere...
|>
|> anyone?

I recal reading sometime around 1980 in a bike mag about a past racing
bike of quite small displacement having 8 cylinders and something like
16 or 18 gears. Mentionned something about a very narrow powerband....
I don't remember if the bike was from the 70's or 60's but the article
said racing rule changes were responsible for its demise.

anyone?

MIS...@mvs.udel.edu

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

In article <51pe74$4...@tofu.alt.net>,
Craig Faison <cfa...@magpage.com> writes:

>ma...@magpie.com (Steve Manes) wrote:
>>SAXYDJ (sax...@taconic.net) wrote:
>>: and i believe Benelli (remember them!) made a 250cc 6 cyl also!
>>
>>Benelli made a six-cylinder 750 street bike in the early 70s. No
>>6-cyl 250 race bike that I know of. Kel Carruthers used to race a
>>a very cool looking, green/gold 4-cylinder Benelli 350 though.
>

>I'm almost 100% sure Honda made a 250cc 6cyl race bike, but I can't find
>the magazine article anywhere...
>
>anyone?

Back in the 60's, Honda raced in all classes (50cc on up) and I
remember that their 50cc racer was a twin (25cc per cylinder).

Roger Cole

Steve Manes

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

Craig Faison (cfa...@magpage.com) wrote:
: I'm almost 100% sure Honda made a 250cc 6cyl race bike, but I can't find
: the magazine article anywhere...
: anyone?

What is this... the third comment about the RC164/5 in this discussion?
Read the thread, folks. Yes, Honda made a 6-cylinder race bike in
the 60s. It was a factory GP bike raced by Mike Hailwood and Jim
Redman, among others. It raced and won at IOM as well. It's a
frightening racebike weighing under 300 pounds with a practical
redline over 20k. But with only six of them ever built it also
ain't a production motorcycle.

gr...@intergate.bc.ca

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

g...@aber.ac.uk (Gaz) wrote:

Let's not forget the Honda CB350Four (347cc) made from 1972-1974
(never officially imported to the UK). It's very similar to it's
replacement, the CB400F but funkier and rarer.

Cheers

Greg Aubin

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

Honda made some 6 cylinder 24 valve 250s I think.

Check the history books...I think they red lined at around 11,000

Greg

Bill Seward

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

Honda also built a 125cc 5 cyl, a 50cc 5 cyl, and sold a 50cc twin racer.
Yamaha built 125cc square 4 2 strokes, and Suzuki built a 50cc V-3
(yeah, 3 cyl- the front 2 faced forward, and the 3rd. faced up

Honda 50cc 5= 25bhp/27500 rpm
Suzuki 50cc V3= 22 bhp at about 25000 rpm

Suzuki had a 500 rpm wide powerband, so it ran a 17speed box
Look it up... Cycle Mgazine, circa 1967.

ml...@scvnet.com

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

Those would still be 40cc+ cylinders. Not nearly as small as the Honda
and Tohatsu 50cc twins (25cc cylinders).

George

MICK

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

Greg Henderson wrote:

> |> I'm almost 100% sure Honda made a 250cc 6cyl race bike, but I can't find
> |> the magazine article anywhere...
> |>
> |> anyone?
>
> I recal reading sometime around 1980 in a bike mag about a past racing
> bike of quite small displacement having 8 cylinders and something like
> 16 or 18 gears. Mentionned something about a very narrow powerband....
> I don't remember if the bike was from the 70's or 60's but the article
> said racing rule changes were responsible for its demise.
>
> anyone?
>honda built a 5 cyl 125cc racer
>mick

Andre Gene Samson

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

Honda did make a 250cc (247cc) six (41.166cc cylinders), 24 valve, DOHC,
60bhp @ 18,000 rpm, 264 lbs dry, top speed 153 mph. In 1966 Hailwood won
ten out of 12 GPs.

But I would not be surprized if something smaller had been built, but was
not popular/successfu, and maybe not a motorcyle (ie moped, scooter, or ?)

Andre
--
Seattle, WA agsa...@halcyon.com

David Braun

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

Andre Gene Samson <agsa...@halcyon.com> wrote:
>Honda did make a 250cc (247cc) six (41.166cc cylinders), 24 valve, DOHC,
>60bhp @ 18,000 rpm, 264 lbs dry, top speed 153 mph. In 1966 Hailwood won
>ten out of 12 GPs.
>
>But I would not be surprized if something smaller had been built, but was
>not popular/successfu, and maybe not a motorcyle (ie moped, scooter, or ?)

Lord Julian Spagthorpe, inspired and perturbed by Mike the Bike's
resounding success in the '66 season, charged the Spagthorpe Ferret Works
in Ipswitch on the Halfshell with making a World Beater for the '68 season.
This bike was indeed smaller, less popular, and certainly not as
successful as the Honda. The project name was Feral Flea. It was a 125cc
(124.5cc), eight cylinder (15.563cc each), 40 valve, QOHC, 55BHP @
38,000rpm, 212 lb dry, 154mph, marvel. With a bore of 1.57 cm and a
stroke of 1.24 cm, this dual-square-four (quad cranked) engine was a
technological marvel. Unfortunately, immediated after the conclusion of
the first test run, the entire outfit, including the test rider, Caso Di
Gorgonzola, was eaten by a pack of dogs drawn by the ultra-sonic whistling
of the exhaust note. The only known photograph reveals only the
handlebars protruding above the rabid, frenzied, pack. All that
remained were the soles of Sr. Gorgonzola's boots, which were delivered to
his grieving widow personally by Lord Julian. (She later went on to become
the second Lady Spagthorpe... but that's a subject for another newsgroup.)
"38,000rpm and fifteen miles doesn't make you a biker." - L.J. Spagthorpe
http://mars.superlink.net/user/rriegler/njsbmwmr/braun/flash.html
David A. Braun - Fl...@fc.hp.com - Fl...@DeathStar.org - DoD # 412
Disclaimer: HP speaks for HP. David Braun speaks for David Braun.