Emergency/Caution Hand Signal

Scott Hendryx

Jul 13, 2009, 3:54:13 PM7/13/09
I was riding out in east Texas, minding my own business when I noticed a
semi truck tire and rim laying in the road. It was in the opposite
direction lane, so it wasn't any big deal for me. Coming around the curve up
ahead was a pickup with a Harley driver on his ass at his left rear bumper.
I know the rider couldn't see the tire coming up, so as I went by him he
waved and I waved like a maniac motioning him to the side of the road. He
looked kinda shocked when his brain kicked in gear and he moved over just as
the pickup truck swerved to miss the tire. The Harley dood made it by, but
barely. I'm pretty sure the truck driver was waiting till the last minute
on purpose, as he had plenty of time to move over so the biker could see the
road, but didn't. Course the biker was tailgating, but that ain't worth
dying for....

So, anyone know of a standard danger signal to pass off to oncoming traffic
if there is danger up ahead? I took the MSC back in 1973 and there was
nothing then. Just wondering, and if not, there should be!

--
------MoParMaN------
---Scud Coordinates 32.61204 North 96.92989 West---

A Chicken Crossing The Road, Is Poultry in Motion!

Schiffner

Jul 13, 2009, 4:17:02 PM7/13/09
On Jul 13, 1:54 pm, "Scott Hendryx"
<scott.hendryx.clot...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
SNIP

> So, anyone know of a standard danger signal to pass off to oncoming traffic
> if there is danger up ahead?  I took the MSC back in 1973 and there was
> nothing then.  Just wondering, and if not, there should be!

Give 'em the high sign for police? <taps top of head>

tomorrowat...@yahoo.com

Jul 13, 2009, 4:25:26 PM7/13/09
On Jul 13, 3:54 pm, "Scott Hendryx"

<scott.hendryx.clot...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I was riding out in east Texas, minding my own business when I noticed a
> semi truck tire and rim laying in the road.  It was in the opposite
> direction lane, so it wasn't any big deal for me. Coming around the curve up
> ahead was a pickup with a Harley driver on his ass at his left rear bumper.
> I know the rider couldn't see the tire coming up, so as I went by him he
> waved and I waved like a maniac motioning him to the side of the road.  He
> looked kinda shocked when his brain kicked in gear and he moved over just as
> the pickup truck swerved to miss the tire.  The Harley dood made it by, but
> barely.  I'm pretty sure the truck driver was waiting till the last minute
> on purpose, as he had plenty of time to move over so the biker could see the
> road, but didn't. Course the biker was tailgating, but that ain't worth
> dying for....
>
> So, anyone know of a standard danger signal to pass off to oncoming traffic
> if there is danger up ahead?  I took the MSC back in 1973 and there was
> nothing then.  Just wondering, and if not, there should be!

I have used, and seen (and responded to) the "slow down" signal -
flashing headlight, and "patting down" motion with left hand. Have
also warned "slow down, road surfacr problem" by combining the above
with pointing down at the road surface, then motioning with my thunmb
over my shoulder.

Slow down (patting down a couple of times), road surface (point down
to their lane), back there! (gesture with thumb over left shoulder
back in the direction I came from; the direction they are headed).
Either it works are they think I am completely insane.

Scott Hendryx

Jul 13, 2009, 4:56:34 PM7/13/09

Hopefully it works.

Message has been deleted

Sean_Q_

Jul 13, 2009, 5:55:51 PM7/13/09
Scott Hendryx wrote:

> I waved like a maniac motioning him to the side of the road.
> He looked kinda shocked

The risk of course is that the other rider gets so distracted trying
to figure out your signals that he runs right into the hazard.

Remember that scene in Alfred Hitchcock's _The Birds_ where some
guy starts to light his cigar and the people in the gas station
try frantically to signal him about a gasoline spill -- and of course
the dumbass doesn't get it...

SQ

Snag

Jul 13, 2009, 6:50:20 PM7/13/09
Stephen! wrote:
> "Scott Hendryx" <scott.hend...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in

>> So, anyone know of a standard danger signal to pass off to oncoming
>> traffic if there is danger up ahead? I took the MSC back in 1973 and
>> there was nothing then. Just wondering, and if not, there should be!
>

> Hell... 99% of the bad-boy-wannabe's won't even look at you if you
> aren't riding the "right" kind of bike, let alone acknowledge a wave.
>
> To hell with him. Let him hit it. If he survives he might learn a
> lesson and won't be tailgating my wife next time she's on the road.

You're a prick . You'd actually let another rider die because you don't like
the brand of bike he rides ? I wave at anything on two wheels .
--
Snag , on the Harley
On second thought , you couldn't be a prick .

Schiffner

Jul 13, 2009, 8:28:21 PM7/13/09
On Jul 13, 4:50 pm, "Snag" <snag_...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Stephen! wrote:
> > "Scott Hendryx" <scott.hendryx.clot...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in

> >> So, anyone know of a standard danger signal to pass off to oncoming
> >> traffic if there is danger up ahead?  I took the MSC back in 1973 and
> >> there was nothing then.  Just wondering, and if not, there should be!
>
> >  Hell...  99% of the bad-boy-wannabe's won't even look at you if you
> > aren't riding the "right" kind of bike, let alone acknowledge a wave.
>
> >  To hell with him.  Let him hit it.  If he survives he might learn a
> > lesson and won't be tailgating my wife next time she's on the road.
>
> You're a prick . You'd actually let another rider die because you don't like
> the brand of bike he rides ? I wave at anything on two wheels .

Obviously you didn't read the OP for content it was another butt
jewely bad boy wannbe dumbass. Most of them DON'T pay attention to
simple hand signals that don't involve the "Hawaiian Good Luck Sign"

But that's just me I see so many of those types it's
sickening...granted most are good people. They just aren't smart
enough to be safe while riding period.

Message has been deleted

BrianNZ

Jul 14, 2009, 12:43:08 AM7/14/09

Hurrah! Sign language is alive and well. I would have read it like you
said it. The most common signal I see used is waving the foot off the
peg to let following riders know the way ahead is clear when passing.

Turby

Jul 14, 2009, 3:10:21 AM7/14/09
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 13:25:26 -0700 (PDT), "tomo...@erols.com"
<tomorrowat...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have used, and seen (and responded to) the "slow down" signal -
>flashing headlight, and "patting down" motion with left hand. Have
>also warned "slow down, road surfacr problem" by combining the above
>with pointing down at the road surface, then motioning with my thunmb
>over my shoulder.
>
>Slow down (patting down a couple of times), road surface (point down
>to their lane), back there! (gesture with thumb over left shoulder
>back in the direction I came from; the direction they are headed).
>Either it works are they think I am completely insane.

There are a plethora of signs you can use, and in combination, they
can communicate almost anything, but I've found by the time I switch
to the second sign, they're already past.

Thought process..."Hey, another biker, better warn him,slow down,cop
back whoops, he's gone,hope he figured it out"

--
Turby the Turbosurfer

Vito

Jul 14, 2009, 7:16:05 AM7/14/09
"Snag" <snag...@comcast.net> wrote

> You're a prick . You'd actually let another rider die because you don't
> like the brand of bike he rides ? I wave at anything on two wheels .

Reminds me of the old saw about the dude who was almost hit by a cage coming
around a blind corner on his side of the road. To make things worse the
driver shouted "Fuckin Pig!!" at him. He turned and yelled back "Bitch"
then looked up just in time to hit the pig ......

Snag

Jul 14, 2009, 5:32:35 PM7/14/09
Stephen! wrote:
> "Snag" <snag...@comcast.net> wrote in

>> You're a prick . You'd actually let another rider die because you
>> don't like the brand of bike he rides ?
>

> Read it again, retard.
>
> BTW, I wave at everyone on two wheels[1] except those spandex
> assholes who impede my flow without paying their fair share of road
> taxes.
>
> [1] Including scooters and mopeds.

Hey , I *DID* read it . I don't like tailgaters either , but the penalty
shouldn't be a death sentence - which is likely what would have happened if
Scott hadn't warned him .
--
Snag
A marble thru the windshield , on the other hand ...

Calgary

Jul 14, 2009, 7:31:08 PM7/14/09
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 04:16:50 GMT, "Stephen!" <N...@spam.com> wrote:

>"Snag" <snag...@comcast.net> wrote in
>

>> You're a prick . You'd actually let another rider die because you
>> don't like the brand of bike he rides ?
>

> Read it again, retard.
>
> BTW, I wave at everyone on two wheels[1] except those spandex assholes
>who impede my flow without paying their fair share of road taxes.
>
>[1] Including scooters and mopeds.

I wave at scooters too, but they never wave back. Brand snobs every
one of them. <g>
--
Don

2004 Road King
2000 Yamaha Venture MM Edition

Schiffner

Jul 14, 2009, 10:03:45 PM7/14/09
On Jul 14, 3:32 pm, "Snag" <snag_...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Stephen! wrote:
> > "Snag" <snag_...@comcast.net> wrote in

> >> You're a prick . You'd actually let another rider die because you
> >> don't like the brand of bike he rides ?
>
> >  Read it again, retard.
>
> >  BTW, I wave at everyone on two wheels[1] except those spandex
> > assholes who impede my flow without paying their fair share of road
> > taxes.
>
> > [1]  Including scooters and mopeds.
>
>   Hey , I *DID* read it . I don't like tailgaters either , but the penalty
> shouldn't be a death sentence - which is likely what would have happened if
> Scott hadn't warned him .

How about beating them to death? I almost did that to one ON Ft.
Lewis. IIRC it was documented here sometime in '02-03 or there abouts.
I don't take attempted murder lightly and that is what I considered it
at the time, still do for that matter.

Schiffner

Jul 14, 2009, 10:04:21 PM7/14/09
On Jul 14, 5:16 am, "Vito" <v...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> "Snag" <snag_...@comcast.net> wrote

ROTFLMAO

RosemontCrest

Jul 14, 2009, 10:16:39 PM7/14/09
On Jul 13, 2:55 pm, Sean_Q_ <no.s...@no.spam> wrote:
> Scott Hendryx wrote:
> > I waved like a maniac motioning him to the side of the road.
>
>  > He looked kinda shocked
>
> The risk of course is that the other rider gets so distracted trying
> to figure out your signals that he runs right into the hazard.

Perhaps if we begin to standardize on signals, the risk of confusion/
distraction would be minimized. I don't know of any national-wide
standard, but here's what some cyclists in New Jersey seem to do:

http://www.njmc.org/etiquette/

It's not specific to oncoming riders; it's for group riding, but some
of the signals seem to be universal. Does anyone have any other
similar citations?

Message has been deleted

Turby

Jul 15, 2009, 2:12:32 AM7/15/09

I think it's because they're such newbie dilletantes they don't know
they're supposed to wave. Or maybe they're just in shock that a real
motorcyclist would deign to acknowledge their existance.

--
Turby the Turbosurfer

Calgary

Jul 15, 2009, 7:35:21 PM7/15/09
On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 03:34:19 GMT, "Stephen!" <N...@spam.com> wrote:

>Calgary <actual.ri...@telus.net> wrote in

>>> BTW, I wave at everyone on two wheels[1] except those spandex
>>> assholes who impede my flow without paying their fair share of road
>>> taxes.
>>>
>>>[1] Including scooters and mopeds.
>>
>> I wave at scooters too, but they never wave back. Brand snobs every
>> one of them. <g>
>

> Heh... I think most of them are too shocked at having been waved at by
>a "real" biker. I typically try to give them enough lead time to allow
>their amphibian brains to process what it happening.

My theory has always been they are reluctant to let go of their death
grip on the handlebars. Ever seen one of them ride one handed?

Calgary

Jul 15, 2009, 7:37:06 PM7/15/09
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 23:12:32 -0700, Turby <turbo...@beach.comber>
wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 23:31:08 GMT, Calgary
><actual.ri...@telus.net> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 04:16:50 GMT, "Stephen!" <N...@spam.com> wrote:
>>
>>>"Snag" <snag...@comcast.net> wrote in

>>> Read it again, retard.
>>>
>>> BTW, I wave at everyone on two wheels[1] except those spandex assholes
>>>who impede my flow without paying their fair share of road taxes.
>>>
>>>[1] Including scooters and mopeds.
>>
>>I wave at scooters too, but they never wave back. Brand snobs every
>>one of them. <g>
>
>I think it's because they're such newbie dilletantes they don't know
>they're supposed to wave. Or maybe they're just in shock that a real
>motorcyclist would deign to acknowledge their existance.

Up here in the frozen north I see more scooters navigating our roads
during the winter months than us "real motorcyclists". I consider them
hard core bikers. <g>

MikeWhy

Jul 15, 2009, 11:45:25 PM7/15/09
"Snag" <snag...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Hey , I *DID* read it . I don't like tailgaters either , but the penalty
> shouldn't be a death sentence - which is likely what would have happened
> if Scott hadn't warned him .

Well, thank gosh he was coming the other way and had the foresight to warn
me. I make light of it sometimes, but I would have been wormfood long ago if
not for the kindness of strangers. How ever would I navigate the hazards of
life without someone along to help me? And listen up, Stephen! you retard.
Pickup trucks are difficult enough to drive behind even in the best of
conditions, swerving erratically and often slamming their brakes for no
apparent reason. I sometimes think to pass them, but that would be just so
rude. This clueless wonder thanks you for your time, thought, and
consideration.

Schiffner

Jul 16, 2009, 12:05:00 AM7/16/09
On Jul 15, 9:45 pm, "MikeWhy" <boat042-nos...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Snag" <snag_...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Pick ups are NO problem to be behind unless they've a load of hay. Hay
is something I deal with all the time. It's EASIER to see past a pick
up than an SUV or mini-van. EIther of which isn't that hard to see
THROUGH. so what ever problem you have learn to see.

But hey, what could I know? I'm a dumbass according to fuckhead like
you. So fuck you if you can't learn to LOOK A FUCKING HEAD. i.e.
through that bitch in the SUV and before you start LYING. Yes you can
look through her fucking windows and the windows of any other cage on
the road unless it's limo black. I which case check on the right to
pass on the left.

Me I pass where ever works these days and fuck anybody that doesn't
like you're a rotten bastard anyways. (that was in ref' to a putz from
puyallup saturday) I do what I want to keep me alive.

Message has been deleted

Vito

Jul 17, 2009, 9:38:09 AM7/17/09
"Stephen!" <N...@spam.com> wrote
> 20some years ago I was riding a moped (complete with pedals) in the BMX
> 'track' in Miles City (known locally as "The Honda Trails"). I crashed
> it... The crash resulted in the throttle sticking, effectively giving me
> throttle lock.
>
> I spent the rest of the night riding it around town hands-free. :)

Gee, Harleys still come with an adjustable one. Euro BMW did too. (Still
do?)
That way we can light our pipe whilst riding.

Schiffner

Jul 17, 2009, 10:07:03 PM7/17/09

ITYMTS "Cigar" remember either use a CEDAR match stick or if all else
fails a high quality (three burner) butane lighter. Antique silver
Dunhill cigar case is a bonus.