Mechanical question, 4 stroke loses power when hot

Tiago

Jun 12, 2012, 9:32:00 AM6/12/12
Should I post this on FB? ;)

well, this is not fully on topic, but I figured I could find
knowledgeable folks here that could point a light over my troubles.

I'm talking about my street bike, '02 Honda CG125 with 95k km ( almost
60k miles) on the clock. It *does* smoke a little blue. Oil level
doesn't drop dramatically, I can't see the smoke all the time and the
exhaust isn't wet with oil, it has that dry carbon dust.

When it's cold, it start first kick (or first couple seconds pushing
"the button", which is how I usually start it). It idles well, even
cold - but will only sustain idle after about 1 minute riding, which,
I believe it's perfectly normal.

When hot it starts even easier and sustains normal idle. I think I
could start it by hand when hot.

But when it gets really hot (after 15 minutes riding) it loses power.
It feels like it's misfiring or getting fuel starved. I rule out fuel
starvation because it doesn't backfire when decelerating (I could be
wrong, that's why I'm asking help). Bike struggles to pick speed. If I
rev it really high (think powerband, I don't have a tachometer, but I
believe that's the powerband) and stay there, it kind of behaves
better. The longer I ride, the worse the problem gets.

What I did:
-> cleaned carburetor, replaced all rubber parts with new parts.
-> cleaned and gapped spark plug (I am buying a new one today, but the
one that's in there looks fine)
-> adjusted valve lash (was wildly out of spec - too loose - but only
improvement was lower noise and now the idle is more stable)

What I reckon I need to do:
-> Replace air filter. I've seen worse and bike working better, but I
guess that's time. I will, later today, get a new air filter and a new
spark plug, that's my last attempt on fixing, after that I'm
clueless.

I know I should rebuild the engine and all, as it is smoking a bit,
but I had another bike that if you saw me riding by, you could swear I
was riding a two stroke with a leaking crank seal. It ran just fine,
as long there was oil in the sump... and that was a very finicky
engine. CG's however is bullet proof, it was developed to take much
more abuse than I subject it to.

I strongly suspect electrical problems. I kind of suspect the coil,
when I had a vw dune bug, it had a big chrome can that was the coil.
When it got hot, the car quit working. I always carried a soda bottle
full of water and a rag, I'd wet the rag and cool the coil down. Car
would start right away and quit again when coil got hot. Replaced coil
and got rid of the problem. On the bike, however, the coil is under
the gas tank, there's no way to access it road side to check if it's
too hot (*), let alone cooling it down with a wet rag.

What do you think?

-- Tiago
(*) writing helps me to straighten out the thoughts. Now I am thinking
that I could, as soon as I arrive home from work, grab the 12mm wrench
and remove tank (first, side covers and seat...) and check on coil. On
my old bug, I couldn't touch coil with bare hands when it was acting
out, but even the new coil got quite hot and still worked fine...

dsc-ky

Jun 12, 2012, 10:05:25 AM6/12/12
My first thought was the coil, but in my experiene, our tractor would
simply quit when the bad coil got hot... not lose power. It just quit.
When it cooled back down, it would start and run again until it got
hot?

JustWait

Jun 12, 2012, 10:06:26 AM6/12/12
Well, I think you may be on the right track. I will note too that I
think this is absolutly the correct place for this type of thread, as
opposed to FB which for me and my "community" is more for quick plans,
chat, and status updates (very short ride reports). Just my opinion...

Tiago

Jun 12, 2012, 10:37:30 AM6/12/12
On Jun 12, 11:05 am, dsc-ky <Dudley.Corn...@eku.edu> wrote:

> My first thought was the coil, but in my experiene, our tractor would
> simply quit when the bad coil got hot... not lose power. It just quit.
> When it cooled back down, it would start and run again until it got
> hot?

When cold, it starts and run absolutely normal.
When hot, it starts and idle fine, but runs like crap.

I want to break the 100km/h barrier without having to rev wfo
downhill. I could do that just one month ago.

-- Tiago
-> small displacement engines are fun

HardWorkingDog

Jun 12, 2012, 10:50:47 AM6/12/12
In article
<ac44b6b3-7fc7-44a2...@eh4g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,
Do you think it could be a poorly sealing valve, or rings?

--
Charles
'99 YZ250

Tiago

Jun 12, 2012, 10:56:08 AM6/12/12
On Jun 12, 11:50 am, HardWorkingDog <har...@mush.man> wrote:

> Do you think it could be a poorly sealing valve, or rings?

It could. Aside leakdown test, any hint on how do I test them without
tearing the head apart?

-- Tiago

HardWorkingDog

Jun 12, 2012, 11:38:36 AM6/12/12
In article
<e405aa6e-e739-4c49...@e3g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
No, sorry, still mostly a 2 stroke guy. I'm sure a valve expert will
stop by soon.

--
Charles
'99 YZ250

Tim H

Jun 12, 2012, 12:21:16 PM6/12/12
Fuck that, pick a spot. I'm the last person to pimp FB, but for whatever reason that shithole timesucker site has rolled rmd back about 5 or 6 years, and that's a good enough reason for me to deal with it. This version is just this side of dead.

Tim H

Volker Bartheld

Jun 12, 2012, 12:27:50 PM6/12/12
Hi Tiago!

[My newsreader just crashed, so please apologize the short&impatient
version...]

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 06:32:00 -0700 (PDT), Tiago wrote:
> Should I post this on FB? ;)

Unless there is a bike repair party...

> I'm talking about my street bike, '02 Honda CG125 with 95k km ( almost
> When it's cold, it start first kick (or first couple seconds pushing
> When hot it starts even easier and sustains normal idle. I think I
> could start it by hand when hot.
> But when it gets really hot (after 15 minutes riding) it loses power.
> It feels like it's misfiring or getting fuel starved.

Valve freeplay is set correctly?
Compression rings, oils seals, valve guides intact?
Probably coal deposits on the valves?
Decompression mechanism/lever (if present) OK?
No hairline cracks in the cylinder head/along the spark plug threads?
Does it lose much oil? Coolant?
You are sure that the ignition coil and spark plug boot are fine?
Already checked the stator/magneto/lighting coil? *)
Kill switch/sidestand switch OK?
What about cable routing especially along parts that get hot?
You could also check if the problem changes when pulling the choke or
removing the air filter entirely. Sometimes a stuck/leaking choke mechanism
leads to strange effects...

If needed, take off the tank, fabricate a DIY replacement from a PET/PP
drinking bottle with nozzle and hose, attach this to the carb. Also helps
detect venting problems with tank and carb.

New spark plug and air filter will surely rule out a few candidates. **)

Good luck fixing your bike!

Volker

*) My KTM hat intermittent problems when warm/hot and I blamed the crappy
Dellorto carb for it. When it finally broke down in the middle of nowhere
(yes, that also possible in Germany!), it turned out to be the SEM-Stator
(dry version).

**) 4S plugs normally last for a long time and then fail immediately. If my
YZ426F or RMZ (or any other japanese bike) fail to start, it's 99.9% the
spark plug.

--
@: I N F O at B A R T H E L D dot N E T
3W: www.bartheld.net

Tiago

Jun 12, 2012, 12:43:19 PM6/12/12
On Jun 12, 1:27 pm, Volker Bartheld <dr_vers...@freenet.de> wrote:
> Hi Tiago!
>
> [My newsreader just crashed, so please apologize the short&impatient
> version...]

Hi Volker!

:)

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 06:32:00 -0700 (PDT), Tiago wrote:
> > Should I post this on FB? ;)
>
> Unless there is a bike repair party...

lol! sorry about the previous incident, it wasn't intentional.

> > I'm talking about my street bike, '02 Honda CG125 with 95k km ( almost
> > When it's cold, it start first kick (or first couple seconds pushing
> > When hot it starts even easier and sustains normal idle. I think I
> > could start it by hand when hot.
> > But when it gets really hot (after 15 minutes riding) it loses power.
> > It feels like it's misfiring or getting fuel starved.
>
> Valve freeplay is set correctly?

yes

> Compression rings, oils seals, valve guides intact?

I guess they are, a bit worn, but in one piece.

> Probably coal deposits on the valves?

I had that problem before, but if that was the cause, it wouldn't work
fine when cold.

> Decompression mechanism/lever (if present) OK?

not fitted, it's just an old school pushrod style 125cc four stroke
designed in the early 70s.

> No hairline cracks in the cylinder head/along the spark plug threads?

I checked that, no visible cracks

> Does it lose much oil? Coolant?

air cooled; doesn't lose a lot of oil, I add 200ml every 800km (two
weeks worth of commuting)

> You are sure that the ignition coil and spark plug boot are fine?

No, they are my prime suspect.

> Already checked the stator/magneto/lighting coil? *)

battery seems to be getting charge and headlights are directly
connected to lightning coil (dims when engine is idling)

> Kill switch/sidestand switch OK?

not fitted

> What about cable routing especially along parts that get hot?

I'm positive this is not the problem

> You could also check if the problem changes when pulling the choke or
> removing the air filter entirely. Sometimes a stuck/leaking choke mechanism
> leads to strange effects...

If I enable choke with warm engine, it dies immediately. I replaced
all carb rubber parts... I don't think it is carburetor.

> If needed, take off the tank, fabricate a DIY replacement from a PET/PP
> drinking bottle with nozzle and hose, attach this to the carb. Also helps
> detect venting problems with tank and carb.

I am leaning towards either mechanical or electrical, I don't really
think the problem is carburetor. If it was venting, it would get
"good" after opening the tank cap, I tried that and doesn't get any
better.

> New spark plug and air filter will surely rule out a few candidates. **)

Will try that later today... And report back the results.

> Good luck fixing your bike!

Thanks!

> Volker
>
> *) My KTM hat intermittent problems when warm/hot and I blamed the crappy
> Dellorto carb for it. When it finally broke down in the middle of nowhere
> (yes, that also possible in Germany!), it turned out to be the SEM-Stator
> (dry version).

ouch, too many "middle of nowhere" places here, some that I really
don't want to be stranded. CG's stator from 2000 on are the wet type.

> **) 4S plugs normally last for a long time and then fail immediately. If my
> YZ426F or RMZ (or any other japanese bike) fail to start, it's 99.9% the
> spark plug.

It's weird, there's something wrong with my bike. Hypothetical
question here... Suppose that there is a small earth connection made
of carbon, from the center electrode of the plug to the threaded part,
over the porcelain insulator. A small enough connection that usually
the spark jumps the gap, but some sparks take the earth path... It
feels like that, feels like someone had shut the engine down and then
re-started. What's odd is that when that is done intentionally holding
throttle wfo, there is a loud bang on the exhaust. No bangs here,
quiet or loud. Feels like it is sparking only every other cycle... If
today's parts doesn't fix, I'm removing the mousetrap from the wallet
and reach out for a high performance ignition kit (about 80usd): CDI,
ignition coil and all new wiring.

I just love to troubleshoot electricals... As one friend said to me
once: "the electrons are dumb, if you let them loose, they won't do
what they are supposed to".

:)

-- Tiago

JustWait

Jun 12, 2012, 1:01:08 PM6/12/12
Calm down guy... it's just opinions. I, and the folks I ride with have
found a great tool in FB and we use it for quick, direct communication
as well as story telling, sharing.. I have always thought of R.M.D as
more of a place to trade detailed ride reports and detailed technical
information, questions and answers. At the same time, as a "newbie" to
RMD I never really understood half of the inside joke type banter and
communication, at FB, I am an insider too;)

Mike S.

Jun 12, 2012, 2:48:57 PM6/12/12
Tiago asks"
Can you do an old school compression test? Screw the tester into the
spark plug hole, kick 5-10 times with the throttle WFO. Should be
over 125 on that thing. If low, add a squirt of oil to the cylinder through
the plug hole and do again. If pressure goes up, it's the rings. If not,
it's the valves.

The easy starting and only when hot makes me think it's either
compression that gets worse with heat or really rich mixture -
high float level maybe. Or the ethanol mixture got lower
for some reason, ethanol requires much richer mixture so
that if there's more dinosaur stuff in the fuel it will act
like the mixture got rich.

Electronics normally die when hot, as you've experienced.
They don't just get sick.

Two more wild guesses submitted for your perusal.

Go fast. Take chances.
Mike S.

genius

Jun 12, 2012, 5:57:39 PM6/12/12
I had a John Deere 69 4s riding mower that exhibited the exact same
problem. Chased it for months, turned out to be a hairline crack in
the spark plug. $3 fix.

Schmoe

Jun 12, 2012, 6:15:37 PM6/12/12
Is the oil breather clear?

Schmoe

Jun 12, 2012, 6:18:57 PM6/12/12
I could never be a member of a club that would have me for a member. -
Groucho

JustWait

Jun 12, 2012, 6:27:11 PM6/12/12
Another post made me think. Could there be a hairline crack in the
coil.. Back when I worked on cars we would soak the coil, wires, etc and
see if that shut it down or made it stutter.. Look for very slight
carbon lines around the electronics too...

HardWorkingDog

Jun 12, 2012, 7:06:32 PM6/12/12
In article <7af8d94b-d70f-448c...@googlegroups.com>,
Tim H <tntha...@msn.com> wrote:

> This version...

Ya lost me there. Ain't only but one rmd. Dead or alive.

(glub...glub...glub...the sound of me going down with the ship...)

--
Charles
'99 YZ250

Scrape

Jun 12, 2012, 8:24:11 PM6/12/12
HardWorkingDog <har...@mush.man> wrote in news:harvey-EE8C68.16063212062012
@news.individual.net:

> In article <7af8d94b-d70f-448c...@googlegroups.com>,
> Tim H <tntha...@msn.com> wrote:
>
>> This version...
>
> Ya lost me there. Ain't only but one rmd. Dead or alive.

Nah, let me post some pictures of what you're missing.... No, wait, can't
do that here. Okay, check out this cool ride video... Ooops. Have to
post a link to something you'll have to open another application to view.
And like that.

This is organized much better, but it's only a matter of time until someone
comes up with a forums format for FB.

This is all coming from someone fairly fed up with FB. I miss the old days
here. But I miss how my knees and back felt in high school too.

Scrape

Jun 12, 2012, 8:25:43 PM6/12/12
Volker Bartheld <dr_ve...@freenet.de> wrote in

> If needed, take off the tank, fabricate a DIY replacement from a
> PET/PP drinking bottle with nozzle and hose, attach this to the carb.
> Also helps detect venting problems with tank and carb.

This! Check the carb vent hoses too.

HardWorkingDog

Jun 12, 2012, 8:42:35 PM6/12/12
In article <XnsA070CF8C477A4s...@216.168.3.70>,
Scrape <noth...@domain.com> wrote:

> Nah, let me post some pictures of what you're missing...

Glad you're enjoying it, truly. But it's not rmd.

Right now I feel like John Goodman/Walter Sobchak sitting, alone, in
the cafe in The Big Lebowski after he's alienated everyone else in the
room and The Dude has walked out on him: "I'm stayin'. I'm finishing
my coffee. Enjoying my coffee."

--
Charles
'99 YZ250

Joe Rooney

Jun 13, 2012, 2:54:28 AM6/13/12
I had to go out and buy my own copy because the last dickhead at the Santa
Clara library didn't return it.

The Dude Abides.

And rides ?

Joe xt225

Tiago

Jun 13, 2012, 7:21:42 AM6/13/12
On Jun 12, 3:48 pm, "Mike S."
<nospamst...@virtecnospamenterprises.com> wrote:
> Tiago asks"
>
> On Jun 12, 11:50 am, HardWorkingDog <har...@mush.man> wrote:
>

> >> Do you think it could be a poorly sealing valve, or rings?
> >It could. Aside leakdown test, any hint on how do I test them without
> >tearing the head apart?
>
> Can you do an old school compression test?  Screw the tester into the
> spark plug hole, kick 5-10 times with the throttle WFO.  Should be
> over 125 on that thing.  If low, add a squirt of oil to the cylinder through
> the plug hole and do again.  If pressure goes up, it's the rings.  If not,
> it's the valves.

I have the compression tester equipment. Will try that.

Update:
Replaced plug and filter. There was a nice improvement, but engine
doesn't idle when hot anymore, seems like I have to adjust idle speed
and see if it is stable. I still suspect something is failing on the
electrical department...

> The easy starting and only when hot makes me think it's either
> compression that gets worse with heat or really rich mixture -
> high float level maybe.  Or the ethanol mixture got lower
> for some reason, ethanol requires much richer mixture so
> that if there's more dinosaur stuff in the fuel it will act
> like the mixture got rich.

The spark plug was very black, but we have 25% ethanol here (I'm not
aware of reduction on the mix, govt usually announces that with
advance).

Volker Bartheld

Jun 13, 2012, 7:45:05 AM6/13/12
Hi Tiago!

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 04:21:42 -0700 (PDT), Tiago wrote:
> The spark plug was very black, but we have 25% ethanol here (I'm not
> aware of reduction on the mix, govt usually announces that with
> advance).

I was told that Ethanol makes the engine run lean. A black plug wouldn't be
plausible in that respect. When did you pull the plug? After a while of
idling? Then you can only judge idle mixture. If you want to know more,
you should rev the crap out of it, pull clutch, push kill switch and then
check the plug.

Another thing comes to my mind: You are sure that you properly reinstalled
all O-rings in the carb and that no rubber parts are damaged? Does the carb
have some kind of needle/needle jet? My KTM (and probably other thumpers)
are famous for producing wear on the thin portion of the jet needle/needle
jet, which will richen up the idle mixture.

If my KTM fails to idle, this is the first thing I check. Also have a look
at the little tab on the float that connects to the float valve. Vibrations
can push this tab out of adjustment, resulting in a too high or too low
float level. Dellorto-KTMs will stall on steep descents (or while breaking
hard) in that case. Also this tab can develop nearly invisible hairline
cracks due to material fatique. I had that once (bike was running lean one
time then rich at another, very inconsistently) and when I checked and
tried to readjust float height, the tab just broke off - with almost no
force applied. D-OH. Offroad-weekend ruined.

Choke system may also be a candidate.

Are you sure that you mounted the right plug (resistor vs. no resistor
etc.)?

Good luck,

Volker

Tiago

Jun 13, 2012, 10:38:23 AM6/13/12
I am positive that carburetor is ok, it was ok before bike started
acting out. I had a resistor plug in there, the specs are for no
resistor, that's what I got there now.

This amount of ethanol (25%) ruins almost every plug reading chart
available on the web. Only when there is oil or it is very very black
you can consider it...

It is plausible to be float height issues, but on this carburetor (a
keihin), the float height isn't (easily) adjustable. I triple checked
to make sure the float isn't leaking (had that problem on other bike)
and it is not. You say the truth regarding wear on the needle, it is a
known problem on this bike model, since they phased out the Ecco
carburetor in the late 90s. This model bike since 2005 (iirc, don't
quote me on that!) has fuel injection and is flex-fuel, it can run
with 100% ethanol if you are eco friendly enough to spend more on
fuel.

When I rode other bikes, I had extreme prejudice against the CG125.
Now that I own one, I changed my view. It's pushrod engine is so
simple, yet so dependable is almost unbelievable. I got it in early
2009, with 55k kms and right away, rode 650km, stopping only once to
fuel and eat/drink, no more than a 30 minute stop. Bike had a slight
hesitation off throttle and was backfiring, but aside that, it was
perfect. When I arrived home, I went to tune it. It had the OEM
(installed from factory in 2002!!!) air filter; valve lash supposed to
be .08 both intake/exhaust were like .25 exhaust and .20 intake and
still bike started and ran almost ok; I replaced air filter, spark
plug and set valve lashes in spec and replaced all carburetor rubber
parts, bike felt like new. Now, 40k km later and another tune like
above, it is rideable, but not picking speed like before, it still
feel like it misfires.... Now with son to be on earth in less than a
month, I can't afford (time wise) to take car from wife to stop bike
for a couple days for a complete top end rebuild (cylinder, piston and
valves). Perhaps I should buy a CDI, coil and plug wire and cap (cheap
enough) just to be on the safe side. lucifer (m.i.l.) will be here,
with her car, for a couple weeks, that's the time I need.

> Good luck,

Thanks!

-- Tiago

HardWorkingDog

Jun 13, 2012, 11:26:57 AM6/13/12
In article
<7fc0a3fd-ad4f-4d7f...@m24g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
Tiago <diarioda...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now with son to be on earth in less than a
> month, I can't afford (time wise) to take car from wife to stop bike
> for a couple days for a complete top end rebuild (cylinder, piston and
> valves). Perhaps I should buy a CDI, coil and plug wire and cap (cheap
> enough) just to be on the safe side. lucifer (m.i.l.) will be here,
> with her car, for a couple weeks, that's the time I need.

Wow, good luck on the coming birth of your son!

Having to work on bike when lucifer is visiting--good reason to stay
out in your warkshop for hours at a time...

No reason not to do the easy cheap guesses first, you may get lucky.

--
Charles
'99 YZ250

The Real Bev

Jun 13, 2012, 10:13:11 PM6/13/12
Any chance the spark plug heat range is too hot?

--
Cheers, Bev

The Real Bev

Jun 13, 2012, 10:19:05 PM6/13/12

On 06/12/2012 05:24 PM, Scrape wrote:
> HardWorkingDog <har...@mush.man> wrote in news:harvey-EE8C68.16063212062012
> @news.individual.net:
>
>> In article <7af8d94b-d70f-448c...@googlegroups.com>,
>> Tim H <tntha...@msn.com> wrote:
>>
>>> This version...
>>
>> Ya lost me there. Ain't only but one rmd. Dead or alive.
>
> Nah, let me post some pictures of what you're missing.... No, wait, can't
> do that here. Okay, check out this cool ride video... Ooops. Have to
> post a link to something you'll have to open another application to view.
> And like that.

Big deal. I have flashblock so I have to do extra clicks anyway. You
mean people don't have their newsreader AND browser open at the same
time? Hey, this is the 21st Century. We got multi-tasking now!

> This is organized much better, but it's only a matter of time until someone
> comes up with a forums format for FB.

If it's like the other web "forums" <snort> it will still be painful.

> This is all coming from someone fairly fed up with FB. I miss the old days
> here. But I miss how my knees and back felt in high school too.

Shit, I miss how my back felt just five years ago! The rest of the body
parts seem to be in decent working order, except for the ones that are
actually broken. I miss BRITISH Cadbury chocolate. I miss my mom. I
miss riding.

--
Cheers, Bev

Scrape

Jun 14, 2012, 7:59:49 AM6/14/12
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in

>> Nah, let me post some pictures of what you're missing.... No, wait,
>> can't do that here. Okay, check out this cool ride video... Ooops.
>> Have to post a link to something you'll have to open another
>> application to view. And like that.
>
> Big deal. I have flashblock so I have to do extra clicks anyway. You
> mean people don't have their newsreader AND browser open at the same
> time? Hey, this is the 21st Century. We got multi-tasking now!

We also have cell phones that can unlock your front door, control your
home theater, check e-mail, watch videos that won't display on Usenet,
interface with your car stereo, etc. We got CONVERGENCE now!

>> This is organized much better, but it's only a matter of time until
>> someone comes up with a forums format for FB.
>
> If it's like the other web "forums" <snort> it will still be painful.

No doubt.

>> This is all coming from someone fairly fed up with FB. I miss the
>> old days here. But I miss how my knees and back felt in high school
>> too.
>
> Shit, I miss how my back felt just five years ago! The rest of the
> body parts seem to be in decent working order, except for the ones
> that are actually broken. I miss BRITISH Cadbury chocolate. I miss
> my mom. I miss riding.

Yep. And I miss when computing was text based and having to configure
your way out of IRQ conflicts with jumpers. We can post here and
reminisce (sp) all we like, but those days are filed away now.

dsc-ky

Jun 14, 2012, 9:08:42 AM6/14/12
On Jun 14, 7:59 am, Scrape <notha...@domain.com> wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley...@gmail.com> wrote innews:jrbhn6$or7$1...@dont-email.me:
I don't really miss any of the text based computer stuff, although I
did understand it. I don't really fit in the "visual" this, "visual"
that, multi-this/multi-that programming world. :) I did one
instruction at a time... and one instruction only... and I was fairly
good at it.

I also don't find the KTKtalk style forum to be a pain at all. In
fact, it's one of the better ones going and if RMD were like that, it
would be far better than FB or Usenet either one.

Tiago

Jun 14, 2012, 9:33:16 AM6/14/12
On Jun 14, 8:59 am, Scrape <notha...@domain.com> wrote:

> Yep.  And I miss when computing was text based and having to configure
> your way out of IRQ conflicts with jumpers.  We can post here and
> reminisce (sp) all we like, but those days are filed away now.

On my work desk, I have an old memory chip. 1MB (MEGA bytes!) It
belonged to my very first PC, an AMD DX4-100 with whooping 4MB ram and
300-something MB HD, which I thought I'd never fill, as my friend's PC-
XT had an HD with a fraction of that and he had tons of games and lots
of free space... That computer was the first thing that I, as a
teenager, bought with my own hard earned money. And it was expensive!
I clearly remember it was 1200BRL back then, that is 600USD now!
Speaking of which, a new computer (complete with monitor, etc) runs
for about that same price now. Aren't things supposed to change price
after 17 years?

I don't miss having multiple boot diskettes to configure the memory
for different softwares I used, like the original Sim City or
Blinker... Fiddling with QEMM... Then I tried OS2 Warp, only to make
the computer good only for playing solitaire... I don't miss those
times!

-- T
-> fb interface is bad, confusing and let you do mistakes. As a
software developer, I can't stand badly coded software that allow end
user to make terrible mistakes as fb allows. I'm there for one week
and already made a big one.

Tiago

Jun 14, 2012, 9:45:49 AM6/14/12
On Jun 13, 11:13 pm, The Real Bev <bashley...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any chance the spark plug heat range is too hot?

I always used the spark plug model indicated in the user manual,
sometimes resistive, sometimes not, I don't feel any difference...

Honda Shadow 750 have the same plug, just one step colder... (DP8EA9
on mine, DP7EA9 on the Shadow, which is, don't ask why, several times
more expensive)
-
-- Tiago

The Real Bev

Jun 14, 2012, 12:07:24 PM6/14/12
On 06/14/2012 06:45 AM, Tiago wrote:
> On Jun 13, 11:13 pm, The Real Bev <bashley...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Any chance the spark plug heat range is too hot?
>
> I always used the spark plug model indicated in the user manual,
> sometimes resistive, sometimes not, I don't feel any difference...

The 'resistive' is just to suppress radio interference. I think.

> Honda Shadow 750 have the same plug, just one step colder... (DP8EA9
> on mine, DP7EA9 on the Shadow, which is, don't ask why, several times
> more expensive)

Because they can!

--
Cheers, Bev

dsc-ky

Jun 14, 2012, 3:58:48 PM6/14/12
I found FB to be utterly useless for the first couple of month. It was
so foreigh and stange. Then one little discovery after another and now
it not so bad. The main thing I hated was I could not figure out how
to see what was "new" since my lat visit, nor could I find a "mark all
as read". Finally I figured out that there is a little icon that looks
like the world or a globe. It tells me how many new entries there are
in threads I'm active in. I can click on it and to to those threads.
It's still clunky, but without this one feature, I'd still hate FB.
The FB email is okay as the chat.

The Real Bev

Jun 14, 2012, 10:36:03 PM6/14/12
If you use firefox, download the 'social fixer' extension. It has a
'mark all read' feature that kind of works, as well as other nice
things. The guy called it Better Facebook originally, but FB objected
and he changed the name.

I really liked the way FB enlarged photos when you just did a mouseover.
it stopped doing that yesterday. Why do they keep tinkering with it
to make it WORSE?

--
Cheers, Bev

dsc-ky

Jun 14, 2012, 10:37:15 PM6/14/12
> Cheers, Bev- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, I rarely ever use FF, IE almost exclusively (unless I'm on a
MAC).

Scrape

Jun 15, 2012, 7:18:49 AM6/15/12
dsc-ky <Dudley....@eku.edu> wrote in

> I also don't find the KTKtalk style forum to be a pain at all. In
> fact, it's one of the better ones going and if RMD were like that, it
> would be far better than FB or Usenet either one.

KTMtalk, ThumperTalk and ADVrider are all easy to navigate/search/etc. I'd
be completely on board with something like that, so to speak.

Scrape

Jun 15, 2012, 7:23:03 AM6/15/12
Tiago <diarioda...@gmail.com> wrote in news:7301ca62-b545-4e24-
9e84-313...@t8g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:
I've got the first PC I ever owned stashed in a closet.

I enjoyed plaiying with QEMM and like that. They were puzzles that
needed solved. I only had to use OS2 once or twice which is about the
same number of times I had to try and figure out Banyan Vines without
the customer knowing I'd never seen it before.

FB exists to gather data, and I assume it does that fairly well as long
as the user inputs good data.

dsc-ky

Jun 15, 2012, 9:14:45 AM6/15/12
On Jun 15, 7:23 am, Scrape <notha...@domain.com> wrote:
> Tiago <diariodastril...@gmail.com> wrote in news:7301ca62-b545-4e24-
> 9e84-31354c8d7...@t8g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:
> as the user inputs good data.- Hide quoted text -

I sure hope FB doesn't discover that I like dirtbikes. I've been able
to keep it a secret all these years. It would be a shame if those
pesky waskles found out... :) They might send me offers to buy
knobbies when I prefer trials tires!

IdaSpode

Jun 15, 2012, 12:25:21 PM6/15/12
On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 06:18:49 -0500, Scrape <noth...@domain.com>
wrote:
recmotodirt.com, *.org & *.net domains are available.

More than once, I've offered to put up and host a PHP forum but have
never seen any interest. I have the web space and the software.

Right now I'm using SMF for the Spodefest forum, it's free and easy
enough to configure/manage.

www.spodefest.net/isf

I have not tried it, but it looks like SMF does have a photo gallery
addon which integrates with the forum.

DJ

Scrape

Jun 15, 2012, 6:40:08 PM6/15/12
IdaSpode <not@home_watching.tv> wrote in

>>> I also don't find the KTKtalk style forum to be a pain at all. In
>>> fact, it's one of the better ones going and if RMD were like that,
>>> it would be far better than FB or Usenet either one.
>>
>>KTMtalk, ThumperTalk and ADVrider are all easy to navigate/search/etc.
>> I'd be completely on board with something like that, so to speak.
>
> recmotodirt.com, *.org & *.net domains are available.
>
> More than once, I've offered to put up and host a PHP forum but have
> never seen any interest. I have the web space and the software.
>
> Right now I'm using SMF for the Spodefest forum, it's free and easy
> enough to configure/manage.
>
> www.spodefest.net/isf
>
> I have not tried it, but it looks like SMF does have a photo gallery
> addon which integrates with the forum.

I like that idea better than FB. What Facebook has going for it is that
most of the folks are already on there at some point during the
day/week. I doubt that the people that have an aversion to FB would
feel the same about a Website like you're talking about.

Does the PHP or SMF software allow embedding pics and/or video? Not
hosting it on your server, but displaying links from PhotoBucket,
YouTube, etc.?

I think if it could be organized taking some of the best ideas of ADV,
TT, KTMtalk, and like that, it could be a great idea. I don't want to
water down RMD by taking it in three directions, so I'd personally
support killing one off at least.

Hell, it could turn into the dirt only version of something like ADV,
with, you know, t-shirts, vendors, sponsors, and all...

Scrape

Jun 15, 2012, 6:41:55 PM6/15/12
dsc-ky <Dudley....@eku.edu> wrote in news:383db38c-ca34-4059-bc6b-
7c3332...@s9g2000vbg.googlegroups.com:

> I sure hope FB doesn't discover that I like dirtbikes. I've been able
> to keep it a secret all these years. It would be a shame if those
> pesky waskles found out... :) They might send me offers to buy
> knobbies when I prefer trials tires!

Yeah, but right now you're becoming a target of political campaigns,
medical sales pitches, insurance scams and even more cool shit.

The Real Bev

Jun 15, 2012, 9:38:11 PM6/15/12
Adblock plus. I keep telling you, but nobody listens!

--
Cheers, Bev
Far from home

dsc-ky

Jun 15, 2012, 10:36:30 PM6/15/12
On Jun 15, 6:40 pm, Scrape <notha...@domain.com> wrote:
> IdaSpode <not@home_watching.tv> wrote innews:g6nmt75n7090bg1ib...@4ax.com:
> with, you know, t-shirts, vendors, sponsors, and all...- Hide quoted text -

That would be fine with me. I'm not necessarily sold on FB as the next
frontier. :)
But there does need to be a next frontier.

Joe Rooney

Jun 16, 2012, 3:49:50 AM6/16/12
On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 06:33:16 -0700, Tiago <diarioda...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Jun 14, 8:59 am, Scrape <notha...@domain.com> wrote:
>
>> Yep. And I miss when computing was text based and having to configure
>> your way out of IRQ conflicts with jumpers. We can post here and
>> reminisce (sp) all we like, but those days are filed away now.

Snip the young punk stuff.

I still have my 130XE and Happy Drive.

The Dude Abides

And Rides xt225

Joe

Scrape

Jun 16, 2012, 8:23:11 AM6/16/12

> That would be fine with me. I'm not necessarily sold on FB as the next
> frontier. :)
> But there does need to be a next frontier.

I'd welcome something better in a heartbeat. Usenet isn't it for a handful
of reasons though.

Scrape

Jun 16, 2012, 8:23:43 AM6/16/12
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in news:jrgo24$307$3@dont-
email.me:
I'm using donottrack as per your recommendation.

Scrape

Jun 16, 2012, 8:24:34 AM6/16/12
"Joe Rooney" <ikero...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:op.wfzj1cw408nzfr@919th-
61853b8b5:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 06:33:16 -0700, Tiago <diarioda...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 14, 8:59 am, Scrape <notha...@domain.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Yep. And I miss when computing was text based and having to configure
>>> your way out of IRQ conflicts with jumpers. We can post here and
>>> reminisce (sp) all we like, but those days are filed away now.
>
> Snip the young punk stuff.
>
> I still have my 130XE and Happy Drive.
>
> The Dude Abides
>
> And Rides xt225
>
> Joe

I can't find the "LIKE" button....

The Real Bev

Jun 16, 2012, 11:36:35 AM6/16/12
It was for an awful long time, though.

Over the years, every once in a while somebody will post something like
"Jim's wife found my name in his email addressbook, and wanted to let me
know that he died last Tuesday..." Jim would have been a long-time
poster, and the guy who posted the announcement was just one of the
other newsgroup people, not an actual real-life friend, and everybody in
the newsgroup "knew" who Jim was. I don't think I'll see stuff like
that happening in Facebook.

The Real Bev

Jun 16, 2012, 11:37:36 AM6/16/12

On 06/16/2012 05:23 AM, Scrape wrote:
What about Adblock? The results of that are instantly visible --
actually they're INvisible!

Scrape

Jun 16, 2012, 9:12:54 PM6/16/12

>> I'd welcome something better in a heartbeat. Usenet isn't it for a
>> handful of reasons though.
>
> It was for an awful long time, though.

IRC had its place too. If this place still had the traffic, I'd be here
much more frequently. Just enjoy (most of) the conversation.

> Over the years, every once in a while somebody will post something
> like "Jim's wife found my name in his email addressbook, and wanted to
> let me know that he died last Tuesday..." Jim would have been a
> long-time poster, and the guy who posted the announcement was just one
> of the other newsgroup people, not an actual real-life friend, and
> everybody in the newsgroup "knew" who Jim was. I don't think I'll
> see stuff like that happening in Facebook.

I see that on ADV.

Scrape

Jun 16, 2012, 9:13:39 PM6/16/12
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in news:jri980$ke0$2@dont-
email.me:

>> I'm using donottrack as per your recommendation.
>
> What about Adblock? The results of that are instantly visible --
> actually they're INvisible!

Haven't done that for some perverse reason. I guess I like to see the ads
I'm ignoring.

The Real Bev

Jun 16, 2012, 10:12:09 PM6/16/12

On 06/16/2012 06:13 PM, Scrape wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I'm using donottrack as per your recommendation.
>>
>> What about Adblock? The results of that are instantly visible --
>> actually they're INvisible!
>
> Haven't done that for some perverse reason. I guess I like to see the ads
> I'm ignoring.

Punishment for undiscovereed (or unacknowledged) sins?

IdaSpode

Jun 17, 2012, 12:48:06 AM6/17/12
On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 20:13:39 -0500, Scrape <noth...@domain.com>
wrote:
Perfect!

DJ

Joe Rooney

Jun 17, 2012, 3:40:01 AM6/17/12
On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 08:36:35 -0700, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I made up a group on FB "My Dead Friends." I don't know what the nimrods
want to do with these dead folk, I've got two so far. Let me know if you
want to be moved there, maybe it will stop all the ads.

Joe xt225

Scrape

Jun 17, 2012, 7:02:42 AM6/17/12

>>> What about Adblock? The results of that are instantly visible --
>>> actually they're INvisible!
>>
>> Haven't done that for some perverse reason. I guess I like to see
>> the ads I'm ignoring.
>
> Punishment for undiscovereed (or unacknowledged) sins?

Just seems like purposefully ignoring something/someone is mo' better than
never seeing it in the first place. Or like that.

Scrape

Jun 17, 2012, 7:05:18 AM6/17/12
IdaSpode <not@home_watching.tv> wrote in
Makes the virtual ads more real and easier to hate. At this point, I'm
pretty certain I'm not going to vote to re-elect our Feckless Leader,
thanks to his ads.

The Real Bev

Jun 18, 2012, 12:39:57 PM6/18/12
I understand. You can't be virtuous unless you are tempted to do evil
and resist.

The Real Bev

Jun 18, 2012, 12:41:58 PM6/18/12
I don't see or hear ads, and no matter what they say they're not part of
the decision-making process. With one exception: When I saw an
especially offensive Revlon ad I refused to ever again buy Revlon
products.

JustWait

Jun 18, 2012, 1:18:55 PM6/18/12
I won't use Vonage because of the stupid song they play in their
commercials... :)

dsc-ky

Jun 18, 2012, 10:16:32 AM6/18/12
On Jun 16, 11:36 am, The Real Bev <bashley...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/16/2012 05:23 AM, Scrape wrote:
>
> > dsc-ky <Dudley.Corn...@eku.edu> wrote in
Remains to be seen? It could happen, but someone has to die first...
I'm not in a hurry to find out.

dsc

JayC

Jun 18, 2012, 4:11:56 PM6/18/12
> I really liked the way FB enlarged photos when you just did a mouseover.
>   it stopped doing that yesterday.  Why do they keep tinkering with it
> to make it WORSE?

Apparently they hired their developers away from Microsoft.

JayC

dsc-ky

Jun 18, 2012, 8:47:38 PM6/18/12
Microsoft apparently had them to spare. Someone told me there was an
army of developer/programmers working on W95 and not only a handful
working on the latest greatest stuff?