Jetting is cool!

Mike Baxter

Mar 23, 2009, 10:27:35 PM3/23/09
I changed the 2000 GasGas EC300 back to the #8 slide and test rode
the bike in the street afterwards. I don't care who you are, that
bike makes some of the sweetest power ever produced. The power is
still slightly better than the 2005 EC300 I ride, but the '05 has
better forks. I have spent some time and money getting the '05 to
have power like the older bike, and I'm close, but still not there.

Anyway, I was practicing my 2nd gear wheelies from near a dead stop in
front of my house and setting the front wheel down where I wanted it.
Sometime on the manhole cover and sometimes on the top or backside of
the speed bump. That bike is still awesome.

Mike Baxter

WoodsChick

Mar 23, 2009, 11:20:08 PM3/23/09

LOL! Eric put the #8 slide and that new needle in his 300, too, and
tested it out at Stonyford this weekend. He was *quite* happy with the
results. Then he put it in the 250 and we headed back up the hill
(camped at Little Stony) and he loved it there, too. Good job on the
info, Baxter! Thanks for the pizza, too <G>

He wanted to test out my new PivotPegz on my KTM 450 so we switched
and I got to ride the EC250. Now for those of you that were lucky
enough to be witness to my superb EC250 riding skills in the Pine Nuts
(or, uh, Little Water Trail in Idaho, for that matter...) this may
come as quite a surprise, but I *LOVED* that 250! I finally got Eric
to say yeah we can lower the WP forks and shock that came on the 300
and put it on the 250. I rode snowy trails, huge downhills, even huger
uphills, tight switch-backy singletrack, baby head rocks, you name it
(well, ok...no deep sandwashes, but whatever...) and that thing was
fookin' awesome! I think the key to success was climbing aboard after
getting off my 450. It felt nimble and light and flickable and had a
turning radius somewhat less than a Mack truck. It also didn't feel
like I was trying to rein in a herd of wild horses when coming into a
corner. Eric's got that thing set up pretty sweet and it was an
absolute joy to ride. I thought about it all the way home, and when I
went to bed last night. It was exciting. I'm a 2-stroke girl at heart,
and I think Eric just lost himself a 250 <G>

Oh yeah...PivotPegz. I'm doomed. Now every bike I ride is going to
need a set of these pegs from heaven. They are a godsend for someone
like me who has an ankle that doesn't really bend. Worth every penny
and then some. I hope they make them for a GasGas EC250...

> Mike Baxter

Tami-

tntha...@msn.com

Mar 24, 2009, 1:10:08 AM3/24/09
On Mar 23, 7:27 pm, Mike Baxter <mgb...@comcast.net> wrote:

<Beavis and Butthead voice ON>
heh heh, heh heh!!!
Cool!
<Beavis and Butthead voice OFF>

Tim H
Looking forward to a GREAT loaner ride...again

tntha...@msn.com

Mar 24, 2009, 1:26:11 AM3/24/09
On Mar 23, 8:20 pm, WoodsChick <TamiRow...@msn.com> wrote:
> On Mar 23, 7:27 pm, Mike Baxter <mgb...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
> LOL! Eric put the #8 slide and that new needle in his 300, too, and
> tested it out at Stonyford this weekend.

Is that still the CCK needle with the #8 slide?
Just out of curiosity, what clip do you run the CCK in with a #7
slide? I ask because I have a CEK in mine, same as the CCK but 2 full
clip positions leaner.

> He was *quite* happy with the
> results. Then he put it in the 250 and we headed back up the hill
> (camped at Little Stony) and he loved it there, too. Good job on the
> info, Baxter! Thanks for the pizza, too <G>

Sounds like Scott is in for a sweet loaner ride too... like anyone
would expect any less of Eric's bikes.

> He wanted to test out my new PivotPegz on my KTM 450 so we switched
> and I got to ride the EC250. Now for those of you that were lucky
> enough to be witness to my superb EC250 riding skills in the Pine Nuts
> (or, uh, Little Water Trail in Idaho, for that matter...) this may
> come as quite a surprise, but I *LOVED* that 250!

Um, that's not what it sounded like when you came off of Little Water,
but I HAVE heard you make that claim before, so, OK. If you insist.

>I finally got Eric
> to say yeah we can lower the WP forks and shock that came on the 300
> and put it on the 250. I rode snowy trails, huge downhills, even huger
> uphills, tight switch-backy singletrack, baby head rocks, you name it
> (well, ok...no deep sandwashes, but whatever...) and that thing was
> fookin' awesome! I think the key to success was climbing aboard after
> getting off my 450. It felt nimble and light and flickable and had a
> turning radius somewhat less than a Mack truck. It also didn't feel
> like I was trying to rein in a herd of wild horses when coming into a
> corner. Eric's got that thing set up pretty sweet and it was an
> absolute joy to ride. I thought about it all the way home, and when I
> went to bed last night. It was exciting. I'm a 2-stroke girl at heart,
> and I think Eric just lost himself a 250 <G>

And in the future, I'll have to bring my suspension for Eric's bike
and Scott can ride Baxter's 300...or we can strap about 50 pounds of
ballast onto Scott so he can move my suspension.
Why don't you just grow 7 or 8 inches and leave the suspension alone,
Shorty? There should be some great deals on Human Growth Hormones with
their primary atheletic markets being cracked down on.

> Oh yeah...PivotPegz. I'm doomed. Now every bike I ride is going to
> need a set of these pegs from heaven. They are a godsend for someone
> like me who has an ankle that doesn't really bend. Worth every penny
> and then some.

Bitchin'! Glad to hear they worked for you.

> I hope they make them for a GasGas EC250...

Check on the GGOwners Club, footpegs from late model Honda CR's,
KTM's, and Yamaha's are reported to fit if they don't have a GasGas
listing.

Tim H

fenw...@xtra.co.nz

Mar 24, 2009, 2:15:33 AM3/24/09
I fixed any real or imagined problems with my EC2006 300 by upgrading
to a husky WR 250.

I thought that the GG was a great bike -the greatest thing since
sliced bread out of the box. But the Husky is several degrees more
better.
Better suspension, better power -for the conditions I ride in-better
torque upstairs-more fun to ride. But it does have a harder edge to
it. For an old fart like me I need to ride it harder where the GG was
quite forgiving and easy to ride. Not a bad thing and I admit the new
bike option is not for everyone-but I recomend it
Red bikes go faster anyway

Test ride

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXKj3HRtVng

Latest ride with a new helmet cam (POV Vio 1.5)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ITlWIY5eZY

cheers

tntha...@msn.com

Mar 24, 2009, 11:07:29 AM3/24/09
On Mar 23, 11:15 pm, fenwi...@xtra.co.nz wrote:
> I fixed any real or imagined problems with my EC2006 300 by upgrading
> to a husky WR 250.

I wasn't aware that any "problems" were being discussed. Actually,
Mike was just talking about one of the really nice things about the
GasGas 300, it's ability to be tuned for just about whatever type of
power you want. He's setting up for me to borrow (what a great friend,
eh?), and we're going to an fairly open riding area, so I asked him to
tune it for more hit in the power. Here at home in the tight, nasty,
rooty, rocky, slippery woods, I run mine very smooth with virtually no
hit. Just a matter of a couple of jets (and a slide maybe) being
changed.
This is NOT the forum to try bashing Gassers (not that you were too
hard on them or anything). Unless it's in one of JayC's threads.

> I thought that the GG was a great bike -the greatest thing since
> sliced bread out of the box. But the Husky is several degrees more
> better.
> Better suspension,

Better than my Ohlins? I doubt it. I do hear very good things about
the Huskies, though.

> better power -for the conditions I ride in-better
> torque upstairs-more fun to ride.

I don't think you ever got your GasGas set up correctly.

> But it does have a harder edge to
> it. For an old fart like me I need to ride it harder where the GG was
> quite forgiving and easy to ride.

Again, setup issues. You can set up a Gasser to be a couch, or to ride
like a factory supercross bike. It's all in the setup.

> Not a bad thing and I admit the new
> bike option is not for everyone-but I recomend it

New scooters are ALWAYS very cool.

> Red bikes go faster anyway

If you say so.
That must be why so many championships are being won lately on red
bikes.

Tim H

Wudsracer

Mar 24, 2009, 11:31:05 AM3/24/09

>On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 20:20:08 -0700 (PDT), WoodsChick <TamiR...@msn.com> wrote:
>
>Oh yeah...PivotPegz. I'm doomed. Now every bike I ride is going to
>need a set of these pegs from heaven. They are a godsend for someone
>like me who has an ankle that doesn't really bend. Worth every penny
>and then some. I hope they make them for a GasGas EC250...

Tami,
I loved your ride report. Thanks for sharing. Thank Eric for
sharing his bike. I think that is great!
Reggie is not tall (5'8" or so), but was doing okay with tall bikes
until he hurt his hip. Now, he has problems resulting from his
injuries, and is saving to have his suspension on his "99 EC250
modified and lowered. (It's a "sister bike" to my '99 Sweet Baby",
that john now rides. It came over in the same shipping constrainer in
'98.) We are going to have Drew Smith ( www.wer-products.net ) do the
same job on it that he did on Sweet Baby, with the addition of
lowering it 1 3/4".

Yamaha footpegs ( '99-?) fit the GasGas off-road bike, exactly.

One of these days, you ought to come down and ride with me. Bring
Mike and Tracey Baxter with you.
The TrainRobbers Trail is "rough love" heaven, and the Breezy Hills
Trail is "sweet soil and traction" heaven. White Rock, Brock Creek,
Talimena, and Bear Creek are as wild and rugged as you will want to
ride. Give me some advance warning, and I'll show them all to you.

Good Riding!

Jim
Jim Cook
Tree Dodger Rock Finder
Team LAGNAF
2006 Gas Gas DE300

john

Mar 24, 2009, 2:05:19 PM3/24/09
Jim
do you need me to ship sweetbaby to you for comparison/settings ect...
john
"I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers
this morning what the rest of us said last night."
~ Greek proverb.

"Wudsracer" <turtl...@smackover.swampnet> wrote in message

jayc

Mar 24, 2009, 4:25:46 PM3/24/09
> This is NOT the forum to try bashing Gassers (not that you were too
> hard on them or anything). Unless it's in one of JayC's threads.

Fuck them euro-trash things, although now that I stopped listening to
everybody and dropped down 20 main sizes, mine will rip your arms off
when it comes on the pipe (at least as much as a 125 can).

OTOH, since all y'all GG guys tend to swap out carb parts all the
time, I need a PWK #7 slide. Send one over. Either that or I'll have
to hit my drool-loving #5 with a file. I just hate the little off-
idle fart.

JayC

Mike Baxter

Mar 24, 2009, 6:18:52 PM3/24/09
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 13:25:46 -0700 (PDT), jayc <j...@sysmatrix.net>
wrote:

I don't swap the jetting too often, but I did tame the bike for your
last ride and left it there for those that don't ride too often. The
bike is now back to the jetting I use when I ride it. In this case
it's a 42 pilot, #8 slide with the original LTR needle in the middle
clip position. The main is whatever size it has been for a while now.
Probably a 172. If I get come across an extra #7 slide, I'll send it
your way. Otherwise, break out the file.

Mike Baxter

Wudsracer

Mar 24, 2009, 10:42:14 PM3/24/09

>On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 18:05:19 GMT, "john" <johnr...@remove---dashes--gmale.con> wrote:

>Jim
>do you need me to ship sweetbaby to you for comparison/settings ect...
>john
> "I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers
> this morning what the rest of us said last night."
> ~ Greek proverb.

Thank you, john, but I spoke with Drew Smith a couple of weeks ago.
(I fussed at him, just a bit, because he answered the phone, instead
of that fine looking female in the web site photo. <VBG> He was
just as friendly as he always has been. )
Drew still remembers what he did to Sweet Baby, so we won't need to
separate you two anytime soon.

fenw...@xtra.co.nz

Mar 25, 2009, 1:26:58 AM3/25/09
Mike must be a great guy to lend you his bike

Don't think jetting was an issue-out of the box it seemed to be ok. I
did a bit of work on the suspension with the help of the dealer and
had no real issues. Without changing much at all it would put along
like a trials bike but with a flip of the wrist transformed itself
into something that could take on most conditions. I enjoyed riding it
a lot.

In standard trim the Husky is a lot more of handful and we have played
with the jetting to make it a little more sedate. I'd have to say that
I think the Sachs package is superior to the Ohlins one-the bike holds
its line better across the whoops-I don't think my impression relates
to a setup issue.

cheers

tntha...@msn.com

Mar 25, 2009, 2:19:15 AM3/25/09
On Mar 24, 10:26 pm, fenwi...@xtra.co.nz wrote:
> Mike must be a great guy to lend you his bike

Indeed he is.
Tami (WoodsChick) and Eric are great folks too, for lending one to my
16 year old son.
Wow, when you write that down it sounds crazy.
See you guys next week!

> Don't think jetting was an issue-out of the box it seemed to be ok.

The GasGas is amazingly tunable with needle changes, often with a
pilot change to go along with it, but it can tune the bike from ultra
mellow to gnarly with a hit in the midrange. None of the settings are
wrong or bad (well, obviously a lot of them are, but you can make it
run really well throughout that range of responses), it's just a
tuning and setup preference. You can spend a lot of time playing with
brass. Fortunately, we have a good internet support group at GasGas
Riders Club ( http://www.gasgasrider.org/ ).

> I did a bit of work on the suspension with the help of the dealer and
> had no real issues. Without changing much at all it would put along
> like a trials bike but with a flip of the wrist transformed itself
> into something that could take on most conditions.

"Most conditions"? "MOST"?? Jeebus, man, what sort of things do you
ask a bike to do that a GasGas couldn't take on? Aside from not
floating, I can't think of anything my 300 can't take on.

> I enjoyed riding it a lot.

I believe you.

> In standard trim the Husky is a lot more of handful and we have played
> with the jetting to make it a little more sedate. I'd have to say that
> I think the Sachs package is superior to the Ohlins

The guys with Sachs on the new Gassers are all pretty happy too. But,
"superior to the Ohlins...", I dunno man...

> one-the bike holds its line better across the whoops-

My Ohlins equipped GasGas goes through whoops like it's on rails. So
does Mike's "old" loaner/backup bike, and it has 'Zokes on the front.
His valving is really good.

> I don't think my impression relates to a setup issue.

With modern bikes and components, it's ALWAYS a setup issue. If it
doesn't work, you just haven't found the right combination from among
the infinite possibilities.

> cheers

Back at ya. Enjoy that Husky.

Tim H

john

Mar 25, 2009, 7:43:27 AM3/25/09
"Wudsracer"

probably save me alot of greif because i'd just hook up
with some hussy for a few hours and sweet baby
wouldn't want anything to do with me until i the rash
clears up and the doctors says ok . (got to watch friends
who sell bikes and offer 1st ride free 510 hussybergs)
spring time is coming and i plan to enjoy the next
couple weeks hanging out with family...
john
--
The Senate is investigating deceptive sweepstakes practices.
These companies target the elderly and make them think

The most popular of these scams is called Social Security.

jayc

Mar 25, 2009, 10:04:34 AM3/25/09
> Mike must be a great guy to lend you his bike

Oh yea. The real test is whether or not he'll lend it to me again. I
did, after all, toss it off a cliff the last time :).

I feel shame.

JayC

Mike Baxter

Mar 25, 2009, 2:15:12 PM3/25/09
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 22:26:58 -0700 (PDT), fenw...@xtra.co.nz wrote:

>Mike must be a great guy to lend you his bike
>
>Don't think jetting was an issue-out of the box it seemed to be ok. I
>did a bit of work on the suspension with the help of the dealer and
>had no real issues. Without changing much at all it would put along
>like a trials bike but with a flip of the wrist transformed itself
>into something that could take on most conditions. I enjoyed riding it
>a lot.
>
>In standard trim the Husky is a lot more of handful and we have played
>with the jetting to make it a little more sedate. I'd have to say that
>I think the Sachs package is superior to the Ohlins one-the bike holds
>its line better across the whoops-I don't think my impression relates
>to a setup issue.
>
>cheers

I find your comments very interesting. There is not one GasGas rider
I know using stock jetting. My 2000 EC jetting was pretty crappy from
the factory. The '05 EC300 was better, but still needed some work. I
have not ridden a Husky or GasGas with the Sachs suspension, so I
can't comment on it other than many others on the GasGas forums have
praised the Sachs suspension and a few have complained. All I can say
about my Ohlins equipped GasGas is that I will never settle for less
when it comes to suspension. It's fantastic for my type of riding.

The last Husky I really rode was a 610 and I called it, "The Bus". The
Bus liked to go strait. It was rock solid and went where it was
pointed, but turns required judicial amounts of rear brake because is
turned like a bus otherwise. I look forward to trying out a late
model Husky when I get a chance.

Mike Baxter

Mike Baxter

Mar 25, 2009, 2:19:42 PM3/25/09
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 07:04:34 -0700 (PDT), jayc <j...@sysmatrix.net>
wrote:

>> Mike must be a great guy to lend you his bike

1. I am a great guy.
2. You can ride it again
3. That was a hill, not a cliff and it was hilarious!

I know no shame!

Mike Baxter

WoodsChick

Mar 25, 2009, 6:44:37 PM3/25/09
On Mar 24, 8:31 am, Wudsracer <turtleh...@smackover.swampnet> wrote:

> >On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 20:20:08 -0700 (PDT), WoodsChick <TamiRow...@msn.com> wrote:
>
> >Oh yeah...PivotPegz. I'm doomed. Now every bike I ride is going to
> >need a set of these pegs from heaven. They are a godsend for someone
> >like me who has an ankle that doesn't really bend. Worth every penny
> >and then some. I hope they make them for a GasGas EC250...

> Tami,
>   I loved your ride report.  Thanks for sharing.

My pleasure!

> Thank Eric for
> sharing his bike.

Oh, I thanked him plenty! He's regretting it already. If he can't get
his 300 to work like he wants it to (like a trail bike instead of a
lightswitchy MX'er) he's going to keep the 250 and I'll get the 300. I
think he's trying to kill me.

> I think that is great!
>   Reggie is not tall (5'8" or so), but was doing okay with tall bikes
> until he hurt his hip.  Now, he has problems resulting from his
> injuries, and is saving to have his suspension on his "99 EC250
> modified and lowered. (It's a "sister bike" to my '99 Sweet Baby",
> that john now rides. It came over in the same shipping constrainer in

> '98.)  We are going to have Drew Smith (www.wer-products.net) do the

> same job on it that he did on Sweet Baby, with the addition of
> lowering it 1 3/4".

We'll probably just do it ourselves if we can get some spacers for the
Ohlins shock.
By the way, any idea what springs came stock in WP forks on the `03
DE300? I think it's a DE...all I know is the flywheel is tiny compared
to the one on the 250... We need some softer ones. The guy Eric bought
it from was huge and had traded his stock springs for stiffer ones.

>   Yamaha footpegs ( '99-?) fit the GasGas off-road bike, exactly.

Yup, I knew that, thanks. I had some killer IMS Pro pegs on my 250F,
but Eric snagged them for his WR, then he put them on his ECO250.

>   One of these days, you ought to come down and ride with me.  Bring
> Mike and Tracey Baxter with you.

One of these days...

>   The TrainRobbers Trail is "rough love" heaven,

"Rough love"...you know that's the way I like it <G>

> and the Breezy Hills
> Trail is "sweet soil and traction" heaven.  White Rock, Brock Creek,
> Talimena, and Bear Creek are as wild and rugged as you will want to
> ride.   Give me some advance warning, and I'll show them all to you.

Thanks, Jim! I hope I make it that far east one of these days. Hell, I
haven't even been to Colorado yet...

> Good Riding!

Thanks! Same to you but more of it. I'm pretty excited to be back on
real dirtbikes again, even if my ankle doesn't work so good anymore. I
went down hard last Sunday on the 450 and lived to tell the tale so I
guess I'm good to go now <G>

> Jim

Tami-

WoodsChick

Mar 25, 2009, 7:50:45 PM3/25/09
On Mar 23, 10:26 pm, tntharr...@msn.com wrote:
> On Mar 23, 8:20 pm, WoodsChick <TamiRow...@msn.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 23, 7:27 pm, Mike Baxter <mgb...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > LOL! Eric put the #8 slide and that new needle in his 300, too, and
> > tested it out at Stonyford this weekend.
>
> Is that still the CCK needle with the #8 slide?

It was a CCL needle with the #8 slide with the clip on 3.

> Just out of curiosity, what clip do you run the CCK in with a #7
> slide?

He's never run the CCK with a #7 slide. He was running the LTR needle
in there with the #8 slide. He had some sort of crazy combo going on,
a #38 pilot with a #155 main, but it ran great. It was some sort of
rich needle...a DDJ? It came with the carburetor Eric got from Sudco.
Eric said the bike never ran so good...up to 3000' anyway, and it
sucked the gas.

> I ask because I have a CEK in mine, same as the CCK but 2 full
> clip positions leaner.
>
> > He was *quite* happy with the
> > results. Then he put it in the 250 and we headed back up the hill
> > (camped at Little Stony) and he loved it there, too. Good job on the
> > info, Baxter! Thanks for the pizza, too <G>
>
> Sounds like Scott is in for a sweet loaner ride too... like anyone
> would expect any less of Eric's bikes.

Yeah...dammit. I really think Scott would be happier on my 450. Or
maybe even the 125. He'd really like the WR426. How about an LC4 640e?
It only weighs about 320# plus gas. And I *know* he'd really enjoy the
Pampera <G> Anything but the 250.

<G>

> > He wanted to test out my new PivotPegz on my KTM 450 so we switched
> > and I got to ride the EC250. Now for those of you that were lucky
> > enough to be witness to my superb EC250 riding skills in the Pine Nuts
> > (or, uh, Little Water Trail in Idaho, for that matter...) this may
> > come as quite a surprise, but I *LOVED* that 250!
>
> Um, that's not what it sounded like when you came off of Little Water,
> but I HAVE heard you make that claim before, so, OK. If you insist.

I had my head up my ass on Little Water. Wasn't that the tail end of
the 90-mile day? I used up whatever I had left getting out of that
damned canyon with no clutch after I broke the clutch slave. Eric got
to do the easy part, tha bastard...coasting down Little Water on the
Pampera with no clutch would have been cake.
No, take it from me...that 250 is a sweet ride! The knock on them for
me has always been that they're heavy. Well, after riding the 450 on
trails all the time, the 250 feels downright svelte.

> >I finally got Eric
> > to say yeah we can lower the WP forks and shock that came on the 300
> > and put it on the 250. I rode snowy trails, huge downhills, even huger
> > uphills, tight switch-backy singletrack, baby head rocks, you name it
> > (well, ok...no deep sandwashes, but whatever...) and that thing was
> > fookin' awesome! I think the key to success was climbing aboard after
> > getting off my 450. It felt nimble and light and flickable and had a
> > turning radius somewhat less than a Mack truck. It also didn't feel
> > like I was trying to rein in a herd of wild horses when coming into a
> > corner. Eric's got that thing set up pretty sweet and it was an
> > absolute joy to ride. I thought about it all the way home, and when I
> > went to bed last night. It was exciting. I'm a 2-stroke girl at heart,
> > and I think Eric just lost himself a 250 <G>
>
> And in the future, I'll have to bring my suspension for Eric's bike
> and Scott can ride Baxter's 300...or we can strap about 50 pounds of
> ballast onto Scott so he can move my suspension.

I can always put a big-ass rock in his backpack <G>

> Why don't you just grow 7 or 8 inches and leave the suspension alone,
> Shorty?

Crap, wish I'd thought of that sooner...

> There should be some great deals on Human Growth Hormones with
> their primary atheletic markets being cracked down on.

If I thought it would work I'd be 5'10" by now.

> > Oh yeah...PivotPegz. I'm doomed. Now every bike I ride is going to
> > need a set of these pegs from heaven. They are a godsend for someone
> > like me who has an ankle that doesn't really bend. Worth every penny
> > and then some.
>
> Bitchin'! Glad to hear they worked for you.

Oh man, the first thing I thought after taking the reins of the 250
(besides "Damn, I think I got a nosebleed...") was "Crap, my ankle
won't move...I miss my pegs..."

> > I hope they make them for a GasGas EC250...
>
> Check on the GGOwners Club, footpegs from late model Honda CR's,
> KTM's, and Yamaha's are reported to fit if they don't have a GasGas
> listing.

Yeah, Eric swiped the IMS pegs off my 250F and ran them on his 426
before he put them on his GG so I know Yamaha pegs fit. I was just
tryin' to be funny.

> Tim H

Tami-

john

Mar 25, 2009, 8:30:15 PM3/25/09
hmmm a 300 would make a nice bike for my wife...
she's at least 1/2" longer legged than you after all
john
my bike tires are like the owner, slightly balding & out of balance

"WoodsChick" <TamiR...@msn.com> wrote in message

dfh...@optonline.net

Mar 25, 2009, 11:44:04 PM3/25/09

> Thanks, Jim! I hope I make it that far east one of these days. Hell, I
> haven't even been to Colorado yet...
> Tami-

Well, what? You're not coming to Southwick with us?

fenw...@xtra.co.nz

Mar 26, 2009, 1:39:35 AM3/26/09
On Mar 25, 7:19 pm, tntharr...@msn.com wrote:
> On Mar 24, 10:26 pm, fenwi...@xtra.co.nz wrote:

I have opened a bit of a can of worms here ......!

> "Most conditions"? "MOST"?? Jeebus, man, what sort of things do you
> ask a bike to do that a GasGas couldn't take on? Aside from not
> floating, I can't think of anything my 300 can't take on.

Haven't tried floating yet but I have had the odd close encounter.
I need something middle of the road because most of the places i ride
the conditions are quite variable -from open sandy tracks to tight
single track in the same breath. Clay based trails -nice and fast in
the dry and when slightly damp but quite challenging when it is hosing
down with rain.

Add to the mix that I am a mechanical idiot and you might get the
picture. Unless I get some competent help I am not going to play too
much

You're right about the modern bikes comment - I can vaguely recall
someone saying that to me 20 or 30 years ago........or maybe even
longer as people moved from the old Euro Brands to the better
engineered and more reliable Japanese bikes. That we are debating
(sort of) the merits of two Euro bikes of a class that is no longer
manufactured in Japan is a telling point in itself.

I was being a bit of a smartarse with my initial comments-the truth
is that these are both great bikes. I just happen to think in my
experience that the Husky is a better package after comparing the two.
In a lot of ways this is never going to be an argument that i can win
or lose...like what is your favourite beer?

cheers

.

fenw...@xtra.co.nz

Mar 26, 2009, 1:50:19 AM3/26/09
I know how he feels

The son of an old riding mate borrowed my new (2 or 3 ride old) Husky
while I rode another mates WR450 a recently.
I am sure he tested it to it's limit and either fell off or made a few
incursions into the trees as there were a few adornments and bits of
broken plastic that I hadn't noticed previously noticed when I cleaned
it.

This has a silver lining though-I know exactly how to treat his new
sponsored KTM when I get my hands on it. Only problem is that he lives
in Perth Western Australia and I live a long way away

john

Mar 26, 2009, 10:28:12 AM3/26/09
><fenw...@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

>On Mar 25, 7:19 pm, tntharr...@msn.com wrote:
>I have opened a bit of a can of worms here ......!
>>
>> "Most conditions"? "MOST"?? Jeebus, man, what >sort of things do you
>> ask a bike to do that a GasGas couldn't take on? >Aside from not
>> floating, I can't think of anything my 300 can't take on.
>
>Haven't tried floating yet but I have had the odd close encounter.
>I need something middle of the road because most of the places i ride
>the conditions are quite variable -from open sandy tracks to tight
>single track in the same breath. Clay based trails -nice and fast in
>the dry and when slightly damp but quite challenging when it is hosing
>down with rain.
>
>Add to the mix that I am a mechanical idiot and you might get the
>picture. Unless I get some competent help I am not going to play too
>much
>
>You're right about the modern bikes comment - I can vaguely recall
>someone saying that to me 20 or 30 years ago........or maybe even
l>onger as people moved from the old Euro Brands to the better

>engineered and more reliable Japanese bikes. That we are debating
>(sort of) the merits of two Euro bikes of a class that is no longer
>manufactured in Japan is a telling point in itself.
>
>I was being a bit of a smartarse with my initial comments-the truth
>is that these are both great bikes. I just happen to think in my
>experience that the Husky is a better package after comparing the two.
>In a lot of ways this is never going to be an argument that i can win
>or lose...like what is your favourite beer?

>cheers

oh that's obvious the beer in my hand is my favorite, usually my
wife brings me a guiness or a hieniken, but i'm not that picky
<except that skunk beer fosters, grin>
john
GasGasEC274ish

fenw...@xtra.co.nz

Mar 28, 2009, 12:37:23 AM3/28/09
Not many people I know play with the jetting much, though a fair bit
of suspension tuning goes on.

In terms of supply-as we are a small market-most of our bikes come
setup with the Australian compliant emission gear (generally all this
gets removed and the stock racing pipe gets stuck on) Given that most
of if not all riding is done an heights less then 1000 metres above
sea level the stock jetting is usually ok and only the real guns play
with it to get that extra performance.

Mike Baxter

Mar 28, 2009, 3:05:30 AM3/28/09
Well then you have been missing out and it's inexpensive with the
exception of slides. The last slide I purchased was $60 USD at my
local and now out of business (for the 2nd time) Honda dealership. My
bike can be tuned from mild to mean with slide and needle change. If
I ride sand or desert areas I can change to a more agressive power or
go linear for tighter trails. It takes about 5 minutes to change and
can be done on the trail with a screw driver and a 6mm socket. There
is alot of hidden performance in some bikes and GasGas seems to be one
of them.

Don't even get me started about suspension. It's the first place I
would spend my money in order to make a bike the best it can be for
me. I opted for the Ohlins fork option and have been very pleased and
after updating the stock low speed base valves to the optional high/lo
speed base valves and springs I can't do anything but praise Ohlins.
My shock is bone stock, but the revalved Ohlins on my 2000 GasGas may
be better.

Mike Baxter

Wudsracer

Mar 30, 2009, 11:41:31 AM3/30/09

>On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 21:37:23 -0700 (PDT), fenw...@xtra.co.nz wrote:

>Not many people I know play with the jetting much, though a fair bit
>of suspension tuning goes on.
>
>In terms of supply-as we are a small market-most of our bikes come
>setup with the Australian compliant emission gear (generally all this
>gets removed and the stock racing pipe gets stuck on) Given that most
>of if not all riding is done an heights less then 1000 metres above
>sea level the stock jetting is usually ok and only the real guns play
>with it to get that extra performance.

You all were not using that exhaust insert supplied with new GasGas
bikes and quads, were you? It's almost impossible to get good power
using that thing in the pipe. A FMF spark arrester will do it's job
quite nicely, instead of the insert. (I have several of the inserts,
just in case anyone wants one.)

Although stock jetting will work, by re-jetting, one can greatly
improve the quality of the power, and also personalize the power
delivery to suit the rider's preferences.

dfh...@optonline.net

Apr 4, 2009, 12:20:11 PM4/4/09
Since we have a jetting thread relating to 300cc GasGas
pleasurecycles, I won't start another one.

I still have not mounted that Messico pipe that MurMan hooked me up
with. I think I'll slap that on for the Stimilon race. Will the pipe
require jetting changes vs. the stock FMF Gnarly pipe?

Damn, my bike sure needs some TLC.

Dean
2001 GGxc300

Wudsracer

Apr 5, 2009, 2:28:38 AM4/5/09

**************************************

***********************************

It shouldn't require different jetting to function, but you might reap
extra benefits from the pipe by altering the jetting to compliment
it's characteristics. (Compared to the Gnarly, it's softer on the
bottom, with a strong midrange "rush", and should rev way high; all
very smoothly.)

Good Riding & Wrenching!

Jim

Mike Baxter

Apr 5, 2009, 9:41:09 PM4/5/09
On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 09:20:11 -0700 (PDT), dfh...@optonline.net wrote:

I seriously doubt you will need to change the jetting, but the Messico
should give you more top-end with a smooth power curve. Try a CCK
needle for a smooth power. Add more low-end grunt with a #8 slide.

Good Luck,

Mike Baxter