What is the largest plastic scale model aircraft kit ever made?

Brad Lawton

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
A friend and I were discussing an unbuilt kit I own of Revell's 1/48 scale
B-1 bomber, released in the mid 1980's and since discontinued. It's huge of
course, and my acquaintance swears up and down that it's the largest scale
plastic aircraft model kit ever manufactured. I seem to remember that
Monogram released a B-52 in 1/48 that must have been larger but I can't be
sure. Of course, RC kits get much bigger than this but we wondering only
about the plastic 'display only' kits.

Does anyone have any info on this subject? Would really be a kick to find
out about it. Thanks!

ALKMSK

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
Brad:

The Monogram and ERTL B-52's are in 1/72 scale.
I Believe your friend is right about the B-1 being the biggest ever released.

BTW The B-1 and the B-58 were just re-released a short time ago.

Al Koenig/Owner & Modeler

Village Hobbies
2011 Genesee Street Utica, NY 13501
Ph:315-733-0611 Fax:315-738-9478 E-mail:VilHo...@aol.com
"Experienced hobbiest offering exceptional service and quality merchandise."

Steve Collins

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99

I'm not certain, but I believe the Monogram B-36 was bigger than the
B-52s, but then so were a lot of other bands.

Steve

Me

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
I recall something
about a 1:72 scale B747....

Brad Lawton <rug...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Kurt E. Hollenbach

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
The B-1 probably took that title away from Monogram's fine 1/72 B-36,
which in it's original box proudly boasted that it was the largest model
ever produced. I have seen the B-1s in the stores and the Box may well be
the largest ever. I am sorely tempted to get one of those models. A B-1
is pretty large, if you have ever seen one in person. I have seen them at
airshows, they are plenty big. I had a friend who built a 1/72 B-1, and
that was a fairly good sized model, even in 1/72. and I know it's been
said but the Monogram B-52 is 1/72.

As an aside, there was an article in FSM like 7 or 8 years ago about a guy
who scratch built a 1/32 b-52. I may still have the magazine .. but can we
say HUGE? :)

Maybe there have been some Huge Vacuform kits, I can't think of any off
hand.

Brad Lawton (rug...@hotmail.com) wrote:
: A friend and I were discussing an unbuilt kit I own of Revell's 1/48 scale

: B-1 bomber, released in the mid 1980's and since discontinued. It's huge of
: course, and my acquaintance swears up and down that it's the largest scale
: plastic aircraft model kit ever manufactured. I seem to remember that
: Monogram released a B-52 in 1/48 that must have been larger but I can't be
: sure. Of course, RC kits get much bigger than this but we wondering only
: about the plastic 'display only' kits.

: Does anyone have any info on this subject? Would really be a kick to find
: out about it. Thanks!

Regards,
Kurt E. "Kurtains" Hollenbach

"One Adam-12 See the man. A 211 has just occured, Bowling alley, Duke and
Pickett Street. Victim reports a 7-10 split on a Flush pocket hit. One
Adam-12 handle code 3 - over"

LeadSled58

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
>I recall something
>about a 1:72 scale B747..

No it was definately the 1/72nd C-5A!!!

Tom

Jeff C

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99

It was both. They are both available from Hannants.
The C-5 (ID Models) and 747 (Transport Wings) have to be contenders
for the largest model, unless you count fibreglass hull RC ship kits...
--
Jeff C
Rama Lama Howdee Dodat

Me

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
Which model 747 ? -100 ?
Where and how much do they cost ?

I WANT ONE.......

--
Mark Spring GX Networks B.V.
email: ma...@nl.gxn.net Televisieweg 2

Jeff C <mun...@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message

Karaya

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
As usual there is not a clear-cut answer to this. Assuming that you're
talking about injection molded plastic models the 1/72 C-5 is out.
Staying with injection molding the winner is the Monogram 1/72 B-36 AND
the Revell 1/48 B-1B.

It depends on what dimension you want to look at;
the B-36 measures 38.3" wingspan by 27.8" length
the B-1B measures 34.17" wingspan by 36.75" length or 37.55" length if
they got it wrong and used a B-1A to measure :)

So the B-36 has the longest single dimension of either of these kits
and would probably be called the winner.

--
Jeff
IPMS something or other

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Maiesm72

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
>>I recall something
>>about a 1:72 scale B747..
>
>No it was definately the 1/72nd C-5A!!!

Well, the I.D.Models Lockheed C-5 is certainly the largest single aircraft
model evr, but there is a bigger completed model.

Historic Wings produces a Boeing 747 with fittings for the Shuttle Carrier
variant. Once the Monogram or Revell Shuttle is fitted this becomes the
largest, if only in sheer bulk.

I know, it's not quite on the exact subject, but sometimes it's fun to inject a
little expansion into the conversion.

Cheers,

Tom

Jeff C

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
Me wrote:

> Which model 747 ? -100 ?
> Where and how much do they cost ?
>
> I WANT ONE.......

Take a look: http://www.aim72.co.uk/
the 747 is found at: http://www.aim72.co.uk/TW-list.htm

Casey Armstrong

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
Aw, Geez!
I got this 1/72 injected C-5 Galaxy, from flyperson. It really is a Monster,
but the articulated retracts didn't work. Had to roll it out of the garage
on X-Acto knives. The shipping from Chicago would put it out of sight for
most of us!
Thanx' Flyperson! HTH
Casey
Rama Lama Dingh Dongh²
Temple of the Dense Piney Woods
Lord of the Dense
Kirche Katy

Stephen B Brown

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
In article <QX7D3.939$814....@typhoon01.swbell.net>,

Brad Lawton <rug...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>A friend and I were discussing an unbuilt kit I own of Revell's 1/48 scale
>B-1 bomber, released in the mid 1980's and since discontinued. It's huge of
>course, and my acquaintance swears up and down that it's the largest scale
>plastic aircraft model kit ever manufactured. I seem to remember that
>Monogram released a B-52 in 1/48 that must have been larger but I can't be
>sure. Of course, RC kits get much bigger than this but we wondering only
>about the plastic 'display only' kits.

The Polish firm GPM has published a B-52D in 1:33 scale, but it's not
a plastic model...

--
Steve Brown, N8HFI bro...@ee.eng.ohio-state.edu
http://eewww.eng.ohio-state.edu/~browns

Bustoff RC

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
1/8 DR. I, Se. 5A & Camel by HASEGAWA?

Maiesm72

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
>1/8 DR. I, Se. 5A & Camel by HASEGAWA?

How much of those kits were actually plastic?

If anyone has one can they comment?

Tom

CYBER BORG

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
I seem to remember seeing in a flyer
that I had gotten a couple of years ago
about one of those big " Flying Boats "
I think it might have been referring to
that german monster sized BV-338
which was in 1/48 scale , but I think
that it was a vaccuform kit. IIRC.
Will someone confirm this for me and
is it still current.....????

" RESISTANCE is FUTILE - your life as it has been is OVER from this
time forward --- YOU WILL SERVICE US..."

******* " YOU MAY SPEAK..." *******

WIT & WISDOM by -- *Locutus-of-BORG* from -- "THE BEST of BOTH
WORLDS"
________ " PART ONE " ____________

Albatrosdv

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
The largest injection-molded plastic airplane model kit is still the Monogram
B-36.

Tom Cleaver

José Costa

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
If by largest you mean the longer, then the XB-70 Valkyrie from AMT/ERTL in
1/72 is bigger than the B-36. Is realy 185ft. longer while the B-36 is
162ft.

José Costa

Karaya <jsh...@ptialaska.net> wrote in message

IanDTurner

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
What about the Me262 Hannants had available a year or two ago? 1/8th wasn't it?

Ian

Bev Clark/Steve Gallacci

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
How about the 1/200 Yamato?

Charles Metz

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
to IanDTurner
IanDTurner wrote:

> What about the Me262 Hannants had available a year or two ago?
> 1/8th wasn't it?

1/18, actually.

Charles Metz

Maiesm72

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
Steve

Guess that it would be a hell of a big scale model aircraft with a really huge
set of wings and a tail added :-)

Tom

William Banaszak

Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
Brad Lawton wrote:

> A friend and I were discussing an unbuilt kit I own of Revell's 1/48 scale
> B-1 bomber, released in the mid 1980's and since discontinued. It's huge of
> course, and my acquaintance swears up and down that it's the largest scale
> plastic aircraft model kit ever manufactured. I seem to remember that
> Monogram released a B-52 in 1/48 that must have been larger but I can't be
> sure. Of course, RC kits get much bigger than this but we wondering only
> about the plastic 'display only' kits.
>
> Does anyone have any info on this subject? Would really be a kick to find
> out about it. Thanks!

I'd bet that vacuform C-5 that Paul Boyer built would be the biggest.
Of course the landing gear didn't retract. :-)

Bill Banaszak

DMeriman

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
X-33?

David D. Merriman, Jr.

r/c submarines, 'the only way to fly!'

"Barns! Cargrave!... Come back here!!!"

OXMORON1

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
Bill Banaszak noted..

>I'd bet that vacuform C-5 that Paul Boyer built would be the biggest.
>Of course the landing gear didn't retract. :-)

But, that wasn't available worldwide in the 1960-70 era, nor was it injection
molded.
A good manufacturer would provide detailed drawings if you asked :-)

Oxmoron1

Karaya

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
I wasn't talking length proper. I was talking the greates single
dimension (length or span) and the 30.8333" length of the XB-70 is
still short of the 38.3" span of the B-36.

Maiesm72

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
You guys are going to have to stop it or somebody's gonna have to hurt y'all
:-)

Tom

Frank May

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
I read somewhere that back in the late 60s-early 70s,a Jap. mfr.
produced a 1/48 scale injected plastic kit of the B747.It was a travel
agency display type,but word was that it was an injected kit.OTH,hanging
in the lobby of our local airport,we have a Canadian Mist DH Beaver that
is around 1/6-1/8 scale.Comes in kit form (sort of) & consists of vac &
inj plastic parts.Kind of an upscale of their old 1/24 version.Wonder if
it counts?

fl...@airplane.har

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
Two of them that I know of;
1. A Renwal or Hawk model, approxomately 1/200 scale (around 4') of
the Graf Zeppelin and;
2. A 1/72 scale model of the Lockheed C-5 Galaxy.

\ /
\ /
\ ___ /
</|||\>
( \-/ )
'----------===========\___/===========----------'
II H II
Innovative Flight -- H.A.R. MonoJet

Maiesm72

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
>1. A Renwal or Hawk model, approxomately 1/200 scale (around 4') of
>the Graf Zeppelin and;
>2. A 1/72 scale model of the Lockheed C-5 Galaxy.

The C-5 has been mentioned over and over, but you are the first to bring up the
Graf Zeppelin kit.

Anybody have both to compare bulk? :-)

Nice work.

Tom

D2Kos

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99

I had the Testors/Hawk Graf Zeppelin. It was long, but it was just two vacuum
formed halves. I never did try to build it, though. The big black box just
kept getting in the way in the closet.

Kos

Mark Schynert

Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
In article <19990914174604...@ng-fa1.aol.com>, d2...@aol.com
(D2Kos) wrote:

What about the 1/72 Macon on display at the Santa Clara Nats? Indisputably
an aircraft, although I don't know how much of it was plastic, but are we
all really that tied to the 'plastic' issue any more? To me, static models
built to a precise scale are the fascination, not whether the bulk of the
material comes from a particular set of petroleum derivatives.

Mark Schynert

--
Rama Lama Rana Catesbiana, Temple of the Little Vegetables
³I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken.²

Ajsandusky

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
I have the zepplin, thing hugh. Mine sits in storage. Maybe get to it someday,
need a bigger house.

Joseph David Farrell

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
You are all amatuers - the 1/100th scale Boeing 747 injection molded
Nitto/Entex/Doyusha kit is the largest injection molded mass market
kit ever made.

However, Transport Wings of Great Britain makes a 1/72 partly vac/low
press injection 747 - this kit is most likely the largest model ever
produced. No one ever thinks outside the grey painted box! I have
never seen a 1\72nd scale C5 . . but it would be just about the same
size as a 747 . . .

Joe Farrell

AAMRESIN

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
>The largest injection-molded plastic airplane model kit is still the Monogram
>B-36.
>
>Tom Cleaver

Tom,

While not an injection molded kit, in fact not even a kit, Louis Pruneau's
1/48 (!) scale B-52 has to be the biggest plastic model a/c I have ever seen!
This thing was HUGE! About 4' wingspan, IIRC. Saw it at a model show in 1990
at St. Louis.

Art Anderson

OXMORON1

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
Art replied to previous stuff with...

> While not an injection molded kit, in fact not even a kit, Louis
>Pruneau's
>1/48 (!) scale B-52 has to be the biggest plastic model a/c I have ever seen!
>
>This thing was HUGE! About 4' wingspan, IIRC. Saw it at a model show in
>1990
>at St. Louis.

Wasn't Louis' B-52 diorama in 1/32 scale?
I saw it at the Tulsa Show soon after he first let it go public. No matter what
scale it was huge.
What is Louis doing now? Does he still have his company?

Oxmoron1

BSchiltz

Sep 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/20/99
Have you built one 747?

Ajsandusky

Sep 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/20/99
24TH SCALE MUSTANG. JU-87 STUKA

Herbert Ackermans

Sep 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/22/99

Jeff C <mun...@NOSPAM.invalid> schreef in berichtnieuws
37DD2BD6...@NOSPAM.invalid...
> Me wrote:
> >
> > Which model 747 ? -100 ?
> > Where and how much do they cost ?
> >
> > I WANT ONE.......
> >

> Take a look: http://www.aim72.co.uk/
> the 747 is found at: http://www.aim72.co.uk/TW-list.htm

I distinctly remember a 1/32 B-17. Honest. Or was it even 1/24?

This is not a joke, I do remember reading about a gigantic B-17 kit...

Herbert Ackermans

Sep 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/22/99
The Executor used in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

Over 3 meters long.

Karaya <jsh...@ptialaska.net> schreef in berichtnieuws

7rjerl$p8$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...
> As usual there is not a clear-cut answer to this. Assuming that you're
> talking about injection molded plastic models the 1/72 C-5 is out.
> Staying with injection molding the winner is the Monogram 1/72 B-36 AND
> the Revell 1/48 B-1B.
>
> It depends on what dimension you want to look at;
> the B-36 measures 38.3" wingspan by 27.8" length
> the B-1B measures 34.17" wingspan by 36.75" length or 37.55" length if
> they got it wrong and used a B-1A to measure :)
>
> So the B-36 has the longest single dimension of either of these kits
> and would probably be called the winner.

Al Superczynski

Sep 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/22/99
On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 21:48:59 +0200, "Herbert Ackermans"
<her...@herbert.demon.nl> wrote:

>The Executor used in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.
>
>Over 3 meters long.

I hardly think that would qualify as an "aircraft".....

Al Superczynski, MFE
IPMS/USA #3795, continuous since 1968
Check out my want and disposal lists at "Al's Place":
http://www.up-link.net/~modeleral
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to,
and the critics will flame you every time."

Thomas E. Myers

Sep 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/22/99
I saw an old issue of Fine Scale Modeler that had an article on a guy who
built a 1/32 scale B-52.

Big...real big.

Jim Whitley

Sep 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/22/99
In article <QT3pN1y=oDVVpsF2lg...@4ax.com>, Al Superczynski
<mode...@up-link.net> wrote:

...or a kit, for that matter.

--
Jim Whitley
IPMS-USA 24737

OXMORON1

Sep 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/22/99
Thomas Myers wrote....

>I saw an old issue of Fine Scale Modeler that had an article on a guy who
>built a 1/32 scale B-52.

Twasn't a kit. That was Louis Pruneau's scratchbuilt B-52 in 1.32nd scale.
It is/was big, but then again Louis is known for big models/dioramas.

Oxmoron1

Bev Clark/Steve Gallacci

Sep 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/22/99
Some of you are straying form the original question, that of what was the
largest Injection Plastic Kit produced. There have been all kinds of huge
vac and fibreglass kits, like for RC, and even larger scratch-build
models, but they don't count. The question is that of a conventional
injection-molded KIT, nothing else. The largest airplane kit seems to be
the 1/72 B-36 (wingspan) with the 1/48 B-1 only a little shorter(length).
The 1/200 Yamato seems to be even longer as a ship model.

For those of you who do want to stray, there have been huge RC
fibreglass planes, like in 1/4, and even larger RC boats. And finally,
full scale display models of aircraft have been manufactured, they are
models made of fibreglass, so do they count too in the less specific race?

Art Murray

Sep 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/22/99

Even if it did qualify as an "aircraft" and a "kit", it still
might not win the accolade. The Battlestar Galatica at the
Orlando IPMS/US Nats was as long, if not longer.

Art

Ken Duffey

Sep 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/23/99
"Thomas E. Myers" wrote:

> I saw an old issue of Fine Scale Modeler that had an article on a guy who
> built a 1/32 scale B-52.
>

> Big...real big.

Has anybody mentioned the 1:1 scale plastic models that are used by the RAF
for recruiting purposes ???

They have a Tornado, Jaguar and Hawk in camo & markings. Difficult to
differentiate between them and the real thing - except for the gloss camo and
lack of panel lines. They have fully equipped cockpits and weapons loads and
are to be found at airshows and town centres during the summer.

I know they are not strictly 'kits' - but they do assemble and are 'plastic'
.

Oh - and no, you can't buy one !

Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast
Flankers - http://www.lindenhillimports.com/flankers.htm
S-37 Model - http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/5634/
Genuine E-mailers - remove the x after uk

N329DF

Sep 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/23/99
>Has anybody mentioned the 1:1 scale plastic models that are used by the RAF
>for recruiting purposes ???

I built a 1:1 scale model of the Dragonfly prototype, except I did a little kit
bashing in the process, like Glassaire mains and a BD-5 nosegear. It has 22 ft
wingspan and wieghs 865lbs, cruises at 125mph.

Matt Gunsch,
A&P, IA,Private Pilot
EAA Warbirds of America,
North American Trainer Assoc.
Cactus Squadron Flight Team,
Flying the North American T-6 Texan
Dragonfly Tri-Gear
Piper Colt project underway
GWRRA
NRA

Jeff C

Sep 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/23/99
Ken Duffey wrote:

> Has anybody mentioned the 1:1 scale plastic models that are used by the RAF
> for recruiting purposes ???

Are these made by the same folks who made the plastic Spitfires for use
as polesitters outside the gates of RAF stations?
(which are yet more candidates)
--
Jeff C
Rama Lama Howdee Dodat
Keeper of the sacred Siamese
Wet Coast temple
Canada
Replace "Munged 'at'NOSPAM.invalid" with "jecooper'at'Direct.CA" to
reply.

Jeff C

Sep 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/23/99
Herbert Ackermans wrote:

> I distinctly remember a 1/32 B-17. Honest. Or was it even 1/24?
>
> This is not a joke, I do remember reading about a gigantic B-17 kit...

That's ID again, but I suspect it's smaller than the Galaxy. Try
Hannant's. ID did a range of WW II bombers in 1/32. They're not for
the first-time vacuform builder, though...

William Banaszak

Sep 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/23/99
Ken Duffey wrote:

> "Thomas E. Myers" wrote:
>
> > I saw an old issue of Fine Scale Modeler that had an article on a guy who
> > built a 1/32 scale B-52.
> >
> > Big...real big.
>
> Has anybody mentioned the 1:1 scale plastic models that are used by the RAF
> for recruiting purposes ???
>
> They have a Tornado, Jaguar and Hawk in camo & markings. Difficult to
> differentiate between them and the real thing - except for the gloss camo and
> lack of panel lines. They have fully equipped cockpits and weapons loads and
> are to be found at airshows and town centres during the summer.
>
> I know they are not strictly 'kits' - but they do assemble and are 'plastic'
> .
>
> Oh - and no, you can't buy one !

> Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast
> Flankers - http://www.lindenhillimports.com/flankers.htm
> S-37 Model - http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/5634/
> Genuine E-mailers - remove the x after uk
And I recall Roy Braebrook referring to a plastic model of the proposed
Farcically Large Airfix, (FLA) at an air show in England.

Bill Banaszak

D2Kos

Sep 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/23/99
>For those of you who do want to stray, there have been huge RC
>fibreglass planes, like in 1/4, and even larger RC boats. And finally,
>full scale display models of aircraft have been manufactured, they are
>models made of fibreglass, so do they count too in the less specific race?

Let's not forget the "scale" Titanic model that was built for the film. It was
something better than 80% of the actual ship.

Kos

Maiesm72

Sep 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/23/99
Kits, guys, kits.

While R/C models certainly are in the running, display models and models made
for films, etc. are not kits.

Tom

Albatrosdv

Sep 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/23/99

>While R/C models certainly are in the running, display models and models made
>for films, etc. are not kits.

Those Spitfires they made in England to replace all the gate guardians
certainly were "kits." Came in pieces and got assembled, didn't they? :-)

Tom Cleaver
Tom Cleaver
Rama Lama Aye Ara Riter
Keeper of the Sacred Modeling Texts
Temple of the Land of Fruits & Nuts
Internet Modeler
http://www.internetmodeler.com
Visit The Aeronut - see the P-40C & F3F
http://members.aol.com/aerialnut/index.html

Kent Kinal

Sep 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/23/99
Hey,
We"ve got a 1-1 Plastic P-40 gate Guard (well it ain't at the gate, but
you know what I mean) at "Happy" Hanscom AF patch. Though we do have a real
F-86 H which is kinda neat.

Kent
Albatrosdv wrote in message
<19990923193546...@ng-ck1.aol.com>...

Stephen

Sep 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/23/99
In article <938029322.1662....@news.demon.nl>, "Herbert

Ackermans" <her...@herbert.demon.nl> wrote:

> I distinctly remember a 1/32 B-17. Honest. Or was it even 1/24?
>
> This is not a joke, I do remember reading about a gigantic B-17 kit...

I know someone scratch built one of these in 1/35th scale, MIS photographed
it at a model show. It was on a huge dio base surrounded by jeeps and trucks
of various sorts, and lots of ground crew figures too.
-Steve (one of many...)

--
Stephen Pearson rpea...@argonet.co.uk
Back from Universty for a few months... Kent, England

Burkhard Domke

Sep 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/27/99
...has to be that C-5A in 1/72 with the retractable landing gear.

just back from a three-week vacation

Burkhard
Rama Lama Hoop da la Wee
Hauptstadt Tempel
Berlin, Germany

DonaldC476

Sep 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/28/99
I seem to remember a line of Wide Body airliners - at least 747 and DC10 -done
in a large scale, I think it was from Entex (I remember a white box with a
target on it). They were in mid 70's United livery, and the kits themselves
probably date o the mid 70's. Anyone remember what brand or scale these were?
Although they were very large, I don't remember them being particularly well
detailed (certainly not as they coud have been, given the large scale).

I have a feeling they sold poorly; They were too big to be practical (you
couldn't have very many of them on a shelf)...

Don Cardoza
Oakland, NJ
Donal...@aol.com

Al Superczynski

Sep 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/28/99
On 28 Sep 1999 01:39:28 GMT, donal...@aol.com (DonaldC476) wrote:

>I seem to remember a line of Wide Body airliners - at least 747 and DC10 -done
>in a large scale, I think it was from Entex (I remember a white box with a
>target on it). They were in mid 70's United livery, and the kits themselves
>probably date o the mid 70's. Anyone remember what brand or scale these were?
>Although they were very large, I don't remember them being particularly well
>detailed (certainly not as they coud have been, given the large scale).

Those were 1/100 scale Nitto kits, reboxed & sold by Entex. The L-1011
Tristar was the only other widebody Nitto did but there were quite a few
other jetliners in the series: 707-320, 727-200, 737-200, DC-8-62, DC-9-40,
and Concorde, plus a DC-3/C-47.

Doyusha now owns the old Nitto tooling and has re-released all of these
kits. They also sell a 1/100 767-200 but I'm not sure if that was released
before Nitto went under or is an original Doyusha mold.

The 727 and 737 have some outline problems but I think the rest of
them, especially the 707, are very nice. They're all well-detailed for the
scale.

Terry Wiltshire

Sep 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/28/99
Dear All

If were talking about the sort of plastic aeroplane kits you find in model
shops as opposed to on a pole outside the RAF Museum how about the Airfix
1/24 Harrier. It certainly came in a very big box!

Terry

Ajsandusky

Sep 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/28/99
I think the Airfix Stuka is bigger