Rustoleum wrinkling on 2nd coat!?

Jeffrey Lefstin

Dec 25, 2000, 9:46:49 PM12/25/00
Having heard all the "Don't paint your Saturn V with Krylon" warnings:

I sprayed on a coat of "Painter's Touch" gloss white. Went on fine over
Krlyon primer, looked great, I think "Hey, Rustoleum's good stuff."

24 hours later, I sand out some dust spots and spray another coat on...

... and I get a bunch of wrinkles! Not everywhere - mostly the really
hard to sand places.

The can says recoat within 1 hour or after 24... the only thing I can
think of is that the recoat window is a little longer then they claim.
Especially where the paint is thick. Can I avoid this problem by waiting
more than 24 hours?

The only other thing that touched the rocket was a tack cloth, but I
wiped the rocket pretty thoroughly with the cloth before the 1st coat &
the 1st coat went on fine.

Oh well.. back to the sanding board... and probably to Krlyon "recoat
anytime" for my next project. Any thoughts appreciated.

Mike Burch

Dec 25, 2000, 10:41:17 PM12/25/00
> Hi Jeffrey,

Rustoleum can be a real pain in the ass! As for my experience's I would let
it sit a week in between coats. I have trashed up several really nice
paint jobs by applying the second coat too early. This paint has to totally
dry out before the second app. If you don't really need that specific
color stick to krylon. You can get a really nice finish after about 6 to 8
coats. Krylon has been much more user friendly for me.

Good luck.

Mike Burch
Berkley, Michigan.

Greg Cisko

Dec 26, 2000, 11:06:02 AM12/26/00
"Jeffrey Lefstin" <efst...@speakeasy.org> wrote in message

> Having heard all the "Don't paint your Saturn V with Krylon" warnings:
>
> I sprayed on a coat of "Painter's Touch" gloss white. Went on fine over
> Krlyon primer, looked great, I think "Hey, Rustoleum's good stuff."
>
> 24 hours later, I sand out some dust spots and spray another coat on...
>
> ... and I get a bunch of wrinkles! Not everywhere - mostly the really
> hard to sand places.

Yep... It is a feature.

> The can says recoat within 1 hour or after 24... the only thing I can

I think it should have said that you should recoat after 1-3 hours
or 4-5 days. If you don't do it within 3 hours, it must *COMPLETELY*
dry.

> think of is that the recoat window is a little longer then they claim.
> Especially where the paint is thick. Can I avoid this problem by waiting
> more than 24 hours?

Yes. The problem is the paint was only sort of really dried.

--

gci...@hotmail.com

Greg Cisko

Dec 26, 2000, 11:06:57 AM12/26/00
Rustoleum isn't the only paint with this problem. Just about any other
paint I have tried on my rockets will do this.

--

gci...@hotmail.com

"Mike Burch" <libert...@home.com> wrote in message

BULLPUPP

Dec 26, 2000, 11:34:38 AM12/26/00
I normally use Krylon and have never had a problem. After finishing my 6"
Mercury Redstone I received some Rustoleum painters choice for free..........so
I thought I would give it a try. The white went on nicely. Now I masked it off
the next day and sprayed the black. WHAT A MESS! Wrinkles all over but mostly
in the fillet area. I finished this rocket the day before I left for LDRS to
use as a display for my new kit. When I get more time I will sand it down and
try again. Oh well.........live and learn.

Bill Rossi
\\\///
(O)(O)
--oOO----(__)--------------
: I WILL WORK FOR :
: ROCKET MOTORS :
:-------------------oOO-----:
|__| |__|
|~| |~|
ooO Ooo http://members.aol.com/BULLPUPP/index.html

ibe...@my-deja.com

Dec 26, 2000, 12:33:55 PM12/26/00
In article <efstinlay-82FEE...@news.speakeasy.net>,

I don't care for 'Rustoleum' because it's so heavy, and I've
experienced results similar to the one you mentioned. Krylon is great
stuff and is available in a wider selection of colors. However, I
prefer 'Plasti-kote' Ultra Enamel. It's a sort of epoxy paint and
behaves like Krylon, but once it's dried you can't hardly remove it
with anything but a hammer. I used to buy it at Checker Auto Parts but
Pep Boys sells it now.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Kevin Trojanowski

Dec 26, 2000, 7:14:22 PM12/26/00
I've never used Rustoleum on rockets, so I cannot comment on it in that
application.

The paint I've had good luck with is the Ace brand, available at the
local Ace hardware store. It comes in a reasonable variety of colors
and is a LOT less expensive than Krylon, etc. I've had good luck with
2nd and 3rd coats on it, too.

-Kevin

Gordon McGrew

Dec 27, 2000, 7:58:46 AM12/27/00

At the risk of enhancing my reputation as a contrarian, I will say that I like
Rustoleum (the regular kind - haven't used Painter's Touch.) I did have a
problem with wrinkling one time but I think I have the hang of using it now. My
secret is to not wait a long time between coats. I got this idea from someone
in this forum.

Start with a fully cured primer coat. The first paint coat is very light
leaving a very blotchy appearance. After five minutes of drying (70F, light
wind) I apply a second, slightly heavier coat concentrating on the thin areas.
After five or ten minutes a third, more thorough coat is applied. Finally,
after another five to ten minutes I apply a heavy coat making sure all surfaces
are left glossy wet. Then the piece goes into the shed where hopefully
temperatures will exceed 80 or 90F over the next 24 hours. The piece can then
be handled gently but I think it takes several days or even a week or two for a
complete cure. This has produced the best finishes that I have achieved so far.

The early light coats seem to prevent the final coat from sagging or running.
On Wed, 27 Dec 2000 00:14:22 GMT, Kevin Trojanowski <tr...@nospam.home.com>

Neil Tarasoff

Dec 27, 2000, 10:29:50 AM12/27/00
Kevin,

Oh common, Tai Fu comments on stuff he has never tried or used.
Go for it! 8-)

Neil Tarasoff

Leonard Fehskens

Dec 27, 2000, 3:40:35 PM12/27/00
On Wed, 27 Dec 2000 00:14:22 GMT, Kevin Trojanowski at tr...@nospam.home.com
wrote

>I've never used Rustoleum on rockets, so I cannot comment on it in that
>application.

I've used it extensively and have had great results. But I do my recoats
within the 1 hour window. Otherwise I wait a week (weekend to weekend).

len.

Andy Waddell

Dec 27, 2000, 4:37:23 PM12/27/00
I've always avoided Rustoleum after using it a few years ago for a
half-dozen cans or so for two reasons, unless I can't get Krylon in a
similar color:

1) The Rustoleum seems to be very prone to plugging the nozzle midway
through the can no matter how much shaking you do before and during. Kind of
a PITA to be halfway through a rocket and have to go out and get another can
of the same thing because the first one plugged up. (Obviously twice as
expensive that way, too).
2) It takes a LOT longer to dry. With Krylon I can handle the rocket in a
few hours, with Rustoleum the next day, minimum. Of course both should be
left for at least a week for good curing, but the Krylon's much faster to
keep working with, IMHO.

I've always had great luck with Krylon; Len's had good luck with Rustoleum.
'Spose it's all a matter of personal taste, but I definitely lean toward the
Krylon.

--
Andrew D. Waddell
PML Online Support Rep
"Leonard Fehskens" <len.fe...@compaq.com> wrote in message

Kevin Trojanowski

Dec 27, 2000, 7:05:10 PM12/27/00
Well, there's this Neil Tarasoff guy who tells me that this Bob Kaplow
guy has heard from some Andy Shecter guy that John Cato says that Jerry
Irvine says that Bob Fortune told him about Gene Constanza talking about
some guy who goes by the name of Leonard Fehskens says that Rustoleum
works just fine...

-Kevin "Neil TOLD me to do it!" Trojanowski

Chris Taylor Jr.

Dec 27, 2000, 8:24:05 PM12/27/00
With Rustoleum read the can to get more accurate but I think you must apply
a second either in less than X time OR youmust wait to AFTER x time (which i
think is 48 or 72 hours if you miss the X time after first coat)

Chris
http://www.nerys.com/

Chris Taylor Jr.

Dec 27, 2000, 8:25:31 PM12/27/00
But if you apply the second coat within say 1-2 hours you will be fine too.
BUT once you pass that early time YOU MUST wait until it is fully dry

Otherwise it is most wonderful paint. Very nice coating and hard to run
Nice finishes. ALthough it if you put it on too thick is may not run but it
will take anywhere from forever to never to full dry it always seems to be a
little soft for a LOOOOOONG time

Chris
http://www.nerys.com/

"Mike Burch" <libert...@home.com> wrote in message

Crussell51

Dec 27, 2000, 10:35:24 PM12/27/00
Great...I, and a hundred others...don't make the TOP TEN (10)...SIGH...>Well,
Next thing you know, we'll be doing the Macarena...
Paint happens..
Chas, NAR 9790

Steven Piette

Dec 27, 2000, 11:03:01 PM12/27/00
Andy Waddell wrote:

> I've always avoided Rustoleum after using it a few years ago for a
> half-dozen cans or so for two reasons, unless I can't get Krylon in a
> similar color:

I just want to add that the Rustoleum Metalics paint seems to be quite
different from the rest of the Rustoleum branded paints. It drys quite
quickly, wet sands well, and can be overcoated as soon as it's dry.
Make sure to shake the can well or the flakes will come out all at once
and you flock your rocket...

--
Steve Piette Applied Computer Technology
st...@simon.chi.il.US. 7N852 Phar Lap Drive

Andy Waddell

Dec 28, 2000, 7:56:14 AM12/28/00
Steve, I've noticed that with any metallic, regardless of brand. They seem
to dry VERY quickly, like 10-15 minutes.

--
Andrew D. Waddell
PML Online Support Rep

"Steven Piette" <st...@simon.chi.il.us> wrote in message

Kurt Kesler

Dec 28, 2000, 10:43:29 AM12/28/00
In article <20001227223524...@ng-fn1.aol.com>,
cruss...@aol.com says...

Maybe we should start a club...

--
Kurt Kesler

Neil Tarasoff

Dec 28, 2000, 11:19:50 AM12/28/00
Hey Charles,

You left out Tai Fu. 8-)

Neil (I have NOT used Rustoleum) Tarasoff

Gene Costanza

Jan 1, 2001, 1:02:23 AM1/1/01
Man! I'm flattered, but no Binford, Kesler, Garrow or Simpson! Go figure...

BTW, it's C-O-S-T-A-N-Z-A. :-)>
Like that damn GEORGE, dammit!

I use Painter's Touch whenever I actually PAINT a rocket. (Mark Simpson told me
NEVER to paint a rocket before its first pass.) GOTSTA, GOTSTA, GOTSTA, do a
hair dryer or (low setting) heat gun between coats, though. Makes all the diff.
in the world. Killer coats...
METRA BOD
TRA #07107
NAR #74503

Brian Jarvis

Jan 1, 2001, 5:46:59 AM1/1/01
What is the benefit of using the hair dryer? How does it make the
"killer coat"?

--the walrus

Kevin Trojanowski

Jan 1, 2001, 10:22:33 AM1/1/01
FWIW, you can pick up an inexpensive heat gun at Hobby Town -- I got one
for $19.99 the other day. Does a GREAT job on its low setting on 3M
window seal kits...

Gonna use that puppy to help kick off epoxy when I fiberglass tubes.
Used a hair dryer last time and it helped reduce the drying time a bit.

-Kevin

Gene Costanza

Jan 1, 2001, 4:09:40 PM1/1/01
It accelerates the paint curing process. I said 'hair dryer' because a
heat gun, while the better 'tool', generates scads of heat and requires
a lighter touch and assurance you don't locally overheat a spot (it
could delaminate the airframe).

Here's a synopsis (assuming a ready-to-paint airframe):

-Light primer coat

-Heat and 'dry' paint throughout EVENLY (NOTE:paint is NOT dry when the
exposed part seems to be; the lower paint strata are still curing and
need a little bit of time to cure. The ROT I use is that when the
airframe seems to have returned to room temperature (by touch), I move
on.

-LIGHT!!! sanding with 320 or higher sandpaper. Although I don't
necessarily recommend it, I've laid three light coats of primer and two
coats of color on a rocket without sanding and it looked pretty
spankin'. In my guesstimate, sanding between coats may lend to more
longevity. But it can be done otherwise.

-Repeat as many (or few) primer coats with a subsequent 'curing' cycle
of even heat.

-After last coat of primer allow to sit at room temp. for several hours,
then lightly sand with fine sandpaper, wipe with a tack cloth (a clean
cotton T you ain't usin' no mo' follows the tack cloth nice, too) and
spray on a light color coat.

-Do alternating color coats/heat curing cycles until you like how it
looks or you're sick of doing it.

--
TRA #07017 L2
NAR #74503 L2

Mark Simpson

Jan 2, 2001, 7:09:40 PM1/2/01
Gene,
It's nice to know that you listened to my painting (or lack thereof) advice. Now,
to really surprise you, I do paint...occasionally, and I PREFER Rustoleum to Krylon
every time. No contest. Rustoleum hides better, runs less, give higher gloss with
less work and dries to a harder shell. What else could you ask from a rattle can?
;-)

Mark Simpson
NAR 71503 Level II

BTW, I just finished covering my in-process Bruiser EXP "Woody" in wood-grained
contact paper. It looks great.

Mark Simpson

Lewis Garrow

Jan 2, 2001, 8:50:21 PM1/2/01
I love the Rustoleum paints, but not the cheapo version. The only thing I
like better are automotive lacquers - but they are more expensive and more
toxic.
now how do you paint the contact paper.......8^D

Steven Piette

Jan 3, 2001, 12:44:02 AM1/3/01

Since you follow Mark's painting system, when do you apply the kitty litter?

L.C.

Jan 3, 2001, 6:52:43 AM1/3/01
IIRC, Rustoleum has a warning to apply a second coat within
(20 minutes, 2 hours?) or not within about 48 hours. Wrinkling
is the price for nonconformance. It's a pain.

-Larry C.

Bruce Kirchner

Jan 3, 2001, 9:28:47 AM1/3/01
Steve Piette wrote:

>Since you follow Mark's painting system, when do you apply the kitty litter?<

Actually, that's one of my techniques, Steve. Interesting texture.
--

Bruce Kirchner
TRA L2 #5888 NAR #69850

Steven Piette

Jan 3, 2001, 9:46:57 AM1/3/01
Bruce Kirchner wrote:

> Steve Piette wrote:
>
> >Since you follow Mark's painting system, when do you apply the kitty litter?<
>
> Actually, that's one of my techniques, Steve. Interesting texture.

How quickly the memory goes. I couldn't quite remember if it was you or Mark.
So you say Mark doesn't actually drop his paint jobs in a box of kitty litter
<(:-)

markws...@my-deja.com

Jan 3, 2001, 12:19:50 PM1/3/01
You'd have to be REAL masochist to ever want to paint contact paper.
Besides, how on earth would I get such realistic wood-like appearances
on my rockets using paint? Don't answer, it was a rhetorical question.
:-)
I am considering doing a 5.5" diameter rocket using wood veneer in
place of fiberglass and contact paper. Imagine a high performance wood-
grained Phoenix.......... I can see it now.....

Mark Simpson
NAR 71503 Level II

In article <92u0m5$8a7$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>,

markws...@my-deja.com

Jan 3, 2001, 12:23:30 PM1/3/01
Steve,
That would be Bruce. Mine just look like they've been dragged through
the litter box because I hate filling, sanding and painting. <bg>

Mark Simpson
NAR 71503 Level II

In article <3A533B61...@simon.chi.il.us>,

Lewis Garrow

Jan 3, 2001, 8:03:50 PM1/3/01
filling? sanding? Damn! now I know why my finishes look like that!

Steven Piette

Jan 5, 2001, 3:04:59 PM1/5/01
markws...@my-deja.com wrote:

> Steve,
> That would be Bruce. Mine just look like they've been dragged through
> the litter box because I hate filling, sanding and painting. <bg>

Sorry Mark,

I forgot for a moment in my quest to develop something approaching wit.

Your rockets, all look like the inside of my kitchen cabinets.

Steve "starting to really get cabin fever" Piette

Mark Simpson

Jan 5, 2001, 10:16:14 PM1/5/01
Did you see my pix on ABMR? I posted a picture of my Bruiser EXP "Woody" in
progress. After I get sick of wood-grained paper, I'm switching to
marble-esque contact paper and using the two part fake marble paint for the
nosecones. They'll be my ROCK-et series. ;-)

Mark Simpson
NAR 71503 Level II

Steven Piette

Jan 6, 2001, 12:31:48 AM1/6/01
to Mark Simpson
Mark Simpson wrote:

> Did you see my pix on ABMR? I posted a picture of my Bruiser EXP "Woody" in
> progress. After I get sick of wood-grained paper, I'm switching to
> marble-esque contact paper and using the two part fake marble paint for the
> nosecones. They'll be my ROCK-et series. ;-)

That should be fun but you really need to find some of the most annoying
trailer trash contact paper available and use it once. You'll never loose
it and no one will ever forget it. After a while the team 1 guys will pay
you to leave it at home.

Mark Simpson

Jan 6, 2001, 3:24:34 PM1/6/01
Steven,
Maybe the Team 1 guys would chip in and buy me a bigger motor, hoping that the
rocket got lost. ;-)

Mark Simpson
NAR 71503 Level II

Bruce Kirchner

Jan 9, 2001, 3:10:07 PM1/9/01

Mark Simpson wrote:

>Maybe the Team 1 guys would chip in and buy me a bigger motor, hoping that the
rocket got lost<

Don't know 'bout that but you may be able to pick up some trailer trash contact
paper real cheap. The Sears Hardware in Farmington Hills be goin' out of
bizzness and be liquidatin' everthin'.

--
Bruce Kirchner
TRA L2 #5888

Mark Simpson

Jan 9, 2001, 9:42:13 PM1/9/01
Hey Bruce,
Pick me up a hundred or so rolls. ;-)

Mark Simpson
NAR 71503 Level II

hamza...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2015, 12:26:24 AM1/7/15
Elixir Cosmeceuticals
is an exclusive series of creams with proven efficacy against age-related changes in the skin and other common skin problems. Elixir its efficient products and clinic treatments work against

WRINKLES | uneven skin tone | SENSITIVE SKIN | DRY SKIN | ACNE / GRAVUREN HUD | SOLPÅVIRKET HUD | PIGMENT CHANGES | RED AND ANNOYED HUD

Our skin is aging as a result of hereditary factors and external influences. With proper treatment can solpåvirket skin repaired and regain its youthful luster. Cream series Elixir uses only ingredients with proven efficacy. The range of creams provide a unique opportunity to put together a hudprogram specially adapted your own skin. Clinical research has shown that vitamin A, glycolic acid (fruit acids) and antioxidants improves age-related changes in the skin. Cream series Elixir contains all of these ingredients in concentrated form.
See more at:-> http://cosmedica.no/elixir-cosmeceuticals-informasjon-om-elixir-cosmeceuticals.html
http://cosmedica.no/

chazc...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2015, 1:20:40 PM6/12/15
The can says to apply 2nd coat either right after the first or wait 48 for paint to cure completely.

toucho...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2015, 2:30:46 PM9/26/15
I know this is old but figured I would share for others looking this up. I have been painting professionally for over 10 years. The main problem is in using a rattle can. Many brands will get the wrinkle problem. In a rattle can, there is much more solvent to reduce the paint. If the solvents from the previous layer haven't completely released, the next coat will melt the coat below it. Also, oil/alkyd can take up to 30 days to fully cure. I prefer uerathane whenever possible. It is best to do all coats within an hour of each other, or if you do wait 24+ hours, do a couple light coats first and then do your final wet coat. The best way to get good results though is to ditch the rattle can and use an hvlp spray gun. You can get a setup at Harbor Freight for very inexpensive. You will save on paint for all future projects as well, as rattle cans are more expensive for the actual amount of paint you get in them. Hope this helps someone.

toucho...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2015, 2:30:47 PM9/26/15

skym...@gmail.com

May 19, 2016, 10:26:16 PM5/19/16
I have found Rustolem to be a good paint,BUT it doesn't dry quickly and if you put it on kinda thick YOU got to wait until you cannot SMELL any solvents coming from it,about double the time for both paint and primer.
So put it all on at one time or several small coats,and leave it alone,IF you going with a clear coat,do ALL the sanding when in primer,not in color or clear
I spray a test piece at the same time ,and wait until it's not tackie sometime twice as long as recommended.
and smell for solvents,if you smell them leave it alone for a while longer,because it isn't dry yet,
I spray guitars and screw one of those up and learn to let it dry.
Krylon and all the others will wrinkle too.So no thick coats,
My best application is 2 light coats of color and wait at least a hour then 3/4 of a wet coat,most of the time it will dry glossed out,a full heavy wet coat and it most likely krinkle,
I do use a fan to help dry the paint and DO wear a mask when spraying (read warnings on can) brain seizures,headaches ect.
BEST of LUCK !
SKY

michael...@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2016, 12:44:55 PM7/28/16
On Wednesday, December 27, 2000 at 7:58:46 AM UTC-5, Gordon McGrew wrote:
> At the risk of enhancing my reputation as a contrarian, I will say that I like
> Rustoleum (the regular kind - haven't used Painter's Touch.) I did have a
> problem with wrinkling one time but I think I have the hang of using it now. My
> secret is to not wait a long time between coats. I got this idea from someone
> in this forum.
>
> Start with a fully cured primer coat. The first paint coat is very light
> leaving a very blotchy appearance. After five minutes of drying (70F, light
> wind) I apply a second, slightly heavier coat concentrating on the thin areas.
> After five or ten minutes a third, more thorough coat is applied. Finally,
> after another five to ten minutes I apply a heavy coat making sure all surfaces
> are left glossy wet. Then the piece goes into the shed where hopefully
> temperatures will exceed 80 or 90F over the next 24 hours. The piece can then
> be handled gently but I think it takes several days or even a week or two for a
> complete cure. This has produced the best finishes that I have achieved so far.
>
> The early light coats seem to prevent the final coat from sagging or running.
> On Wed, 27 Dec 2000 00:14:22 GMT, Kevin Trojanowski <tr...@nospam.home.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I've never used Rustoleum on rockets, so I cannot comment on it in that
> >application.
> >
> >The paint I've had good luck with is the Ace brand, available at the
> >local Ace hardware store. It comes in a reasonable variety of colors
> >and is a LOT less expensive than Krylon, etc. I've had good luck with
> >2nd and 3rd coats on it, too.
> >
> >-Kevin
> >
> >Jeffrey Lefstin wrote:
> >>
> >> Having heard all the "Don't paint your Saturn V with Krylon" warnings:
> >>
> >> I sprayed on a coat of "Painter's Touch" gloss white. Went on fine over
> >> Krlyon primer, looked great, I think "Hey, Rustoleum's good stuff."
> >>
> >> 24 hours later, I sand out some dust spots and spray another coat on...
> >>
> >> ... and I get a bunch of wrinkles! Not everywhere - mostly the really
> >> hard to sand places.
> >>
> >> The can says recoat within 1 hour or after 24... the only thing I can
> >> think of is that the recoat window is a little longer then they claim.
> >> Especially where the paint is thick. Can I avoid this problem by waiting
> >> more than 24 hours?
> >>
> >> The only other thing that touched the rocket was a tack cloth, but I
> >> wiped the rocket pretty thoroughly with the cloth before the 1st coat &
> >> the 1st coat went on fine.
> >>
> >> Oh well.. back to the sanding board... and probably to Krlyon "recoat
> >> anytime" for my next project. Any thoughts appreciated.

You got it right... I do it the same way comes out like a car with none to little orange peal...

dog...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2018, 11:01:19 AM8/17/18
On Monday, December 25, 2000 at 8:46:49 PM UTC-6, Jeffrey Lefstin wrote:
> Having heard all the "Don't paint your Saturn V with Krylon" warnings:
>
> I sprayed on a coat of "Painter's Touch" gloss white. Went on fine over
> Krlyon primer, looked great, I think "Hey, Rustoleum's good stuff."
>
> 24 hours later, I sand out some dust spots and spray another coat on...
>
> ... and I get a bunch of wrinkles! Not everywhere - mostly the really
> hard to sand places.
>
> The can says recoat within 1 hour or after 24... the only thing I can
> think of is that the recoat window is a little longer then they claim.
> Especially where the paint is thick. Can I avoid this problem by waiting
> more than 24 hours?
>
> The only other thing that touched the rocket was a tack cloth, but I
> wiped the rocket pretty thoroughly with the cloth before the 1st coat &
> the 1st coat went on fine.
>
> Oh well.. back to the sanding board... and probably to Krlyon "recoat
> anytime" for my next project. Any thoughts appreciated.

Rustoleum. is junk. You have to let it dry for at least 48 hours before re-coating and if you sand it another 24 after sanding. Krylon works much better.

matt...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2018, 5:53:27 PM8/29/18
I have used Painters Touch, mostly because I like their high build sandable primer. But yea, it takes at the minimum, 24 hours to dry to the point of being able to do anything with it after your final coat... I had to leave it for almost a week indoors just to so it would not be slightly tacky. Had great results with it as long as you don't go to thick on a single coat and you recoat within an hour. I could recoat within 10 min without too much issue. Just dont touch the damn thing

yragh...@gmail.com

Sep 21, 2018, 2:07:46 PM9/21/18
Is it ok to wait 48 hour when appling
2nd coat.do I need to sand anything or can I just clean it with varsol
Message has been deleted

timco...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2019, 9:56:41 PM4/10/19

timco...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2019, 9:57:47 PM4/10/19

bloomk...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2019, 2:18:51 AM7/24/19
regarding the nozzle plugging up halfway..i get longer life by clearing it with a few bursts on a can of clear inbetween sessions. i also remove all nozzles on purchase and use a single one on all colours until it dies on me.. then move on. never had to buy new nozzles

msya...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2019, 1:47:00 AM7/26/19
In my experience, spray paint wrinkles no matter what brand, if you don't shake it long enough to mix the paint and you need to spray thin coats. Basically, follow the directions on the can.
Message has been deleted

deanen...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2020, 9:44:44 AM1/7/20
On Monday, December 25, 2000 at 9:46:49 PM UTC-5, Jeffrey Lefstin wrote:
> Having heard all the "Don't paint your Saturn V with Krylon" warnings:
>
> I sprayed on a coat of "Painter's Touch" gloss white. Went on fine over
> Krlyon primer, looked great, I think "Hey, Rustoleum's good stuff."
>
> 24 hours later, I sand out some dust spots and spray another coat on...
>
> ... and I get a bunch of wrinkles! Not everywhere - mostly the really
> hard to sand places.
>
> The can says recoat within 1 hour or after 24... the only thing I can
> think of is that the recoat window is a little longer then they claim.
> Especially where the paint is thick. Can I avoid this problem by waiting
> more than 24 hours?
>
> The only other thing that touched the rocket was a tack cloth, but I
> wiped the rocket pretty thoroughly with the cloth before the 1st coat &
> the 1st coat went on fine.
>
> Oh well.. back to the sanding board... and probably to Krlyon "recoat
> anytime" for my next project. Any thoughts appreciated.

The spray can of RUST-OLEUM PAINTER'S Touch clearly states, on the back of the can: "APPLY SECOND COAT WITHIN 1 HOUR OR AFTER 48 HOURS" - not 24 hours, as you had indicated! I, too, had the same problem w/paint blistering out on me ... Definitely NOT a pretty picture! -Dean Enterline, from Chambersburg, PA 17202.

chw...@aol.com

Apr 22, 2020, 5:25:08 PM4/22/20
Every 2nd coat makes it wrinkle with rust ileum never have that problem with krylon. I'll never buy rustoleum again. It's a fucking pain in the ass.

matt...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2020, 5:41:18 PM4/22/20
On Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 3:25:08 PM UTC-6, chw...@aol.com wrote:
> Every 2nd coat makes it wrinkle with rust ileum never have that problem with krylon. I'll never buy rustoleum again. It's a fucking pain in the ass.

I use rustoleum and you have to be extremely patient with it… you MUST let it dry for at least a day, if not 2 before trying again.

OR

Your coats must be within 15 min of each other…

But if you are sanding, you absolutely have to wait at least 2 days…. I wait a week… then I sand… and reapply the coat

The patience pays off, as the coating is very very glossy.

Ouisie

Apr 23, 2020, 8:29:06 PM4/23/20
Airbrushing might be what's needed...with a "Future" or similar acrylic
floor finish top coat.

Dana Thorne

Feb 15, 2022, 12:24:14 PM2/15/22
On Thursday, 23 April 2020 at 20:29:06 UTC-4, Ouisie wrote:
> Airbrushing might be what's needed...with a "Future" or similar acrylic
> floor finish top coat

Just got off the phone with the Rust oleum tech support. Im trying to paint a motorcycle tank but the paint keeps krinkleing and has to be sanded off eaven after sitting for a week. Was told the " recoat within the hour or after 48 hours " Was under laboratory conditions and I should be recoating no longer than 4 minuits apart or after 14 days with a fan blowing on the tank Would have been nice to know befor I wasted 2 spray cans and sanded down the tank 4 times. Will be avoiding RUST OLEUM in the future and I dont know anybody who paints in a labratory.