N Scale Turntable

Jeff

Nov 17, 2003, 11:33:26 PM11/17/03
Hey there, I've been searching for a decent N scale turntable that doesn't
cost an extrordinary amount. (Under $150.00) yet isn't a piece of crap.
Any suggestions?

Christopher A. Lee

Nov 18, 2003, 8:12:59 AM11/18/03
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 22:33:26 -0600, "Jeff" <jefr...@charter.net>
wrote:

>Hey there, I've been searching for a decent N scale turntable that doesn't
>cost an extrordinary amount. (Under $150.00) yet isn't a piece of crap.
>Any suggestions?

Peco?

As purchased it's manual but there have been several articles on
motorising it.

Dave Fossett

Nov 18, 2003, 9:06:49 AM11/18/03
"Jeff" <jefr...@charter.net> wrote:

The Kato motorized turntable always gets good reviews, and while not cheap,
is supposed to be worth the investment. I believe it is actually made by
Fleischmann.

--
Dave Fossett
Saitama, Japan

Jim Bernier

Nov 18, 2003, 9:13:32 AM11/18/03
Jeff,

There are several option here:

In the Walthers catalog are several European turntables - somewhat pricy
though. More reasonable in cost are these:

* Atlas - about 100", but is 'above' ground(can be had with a motorizing
kit)
* Peco - 80' turntable(will just hold a Kato 2-8-2)
* L A Model Products(Peco turntable assembled/motorized) - BLW has this
on thier web site
* CMR - 90-135'' kit(expensive) - motorizing/indexing available.

The Atlas works great, is self indexing, and matches up with thier own
roundhouse. The Peco is the 'sleeper' - it looks good, and is quite
inexpensive. The Walthers/Heljan turntable is a real piece of junk -
you will need to rebuild it to get it to run with any reliability. I
have not seen the L A Model Products, but the BLW review sounds good.
I have seen the CMR kits assembled - look great, but not sure how much
work is needed to assemble the units. Here are some web sites:

http://www.cmrtrain.com/turntable.html
http://www.blwnscale.com/L.A.%20Model%20Products.htm

Hope this helps with your selection!

Jim Bernier

Ken Bessler

Nov 18, 2003, 10:01:49 AM11/18/03

"Jeff" <jefr...@charter.net> wrote in message

> Hey there, I've been searching for a decent N scale turntable that doesn't
> cost an extrordinary amount. (Under $150.00) yet isn't a piece of crap.
> Any suggestions?

Hey jef check this out - A Walthers turntable for looks with
an Atlas turntable underneath for drive & indexing:

http://kg0wx.users.50megs.com/turntable.html

Hop that helps,

Ken Bessler
Design Services Company

Steve Caple

Nov 18, 2003, 2:29:26 PM11/18/03
Ken Bessler wrote:
> an Atlas turntable underneath for drive & indexing:

So long as you don't mind that Geneva motion hiccup every
15 or 11 degrees.

--
Steve Caple

Christopher A. Lee

Nov 18, 2003, 7:25:54 PM11/18/03
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 08:13:32 -0600, Jim Bernier
<jrbe...@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>Jeff,
>
> There are several option here:
>
>In the Walthers catalog are several European turntables - somewhat pricy
>though. More reasonable in cost are these:
>
>* Atlas - about 100", but is 'above' ground(can be had with a motorizing
>kit)
>* Peco - 80' turntable(will just hold a Kato 2-8-2)
>* L A Model Products(Peco turntable assembled/motorized) - BLW has this
>on thier web site
>* CMR - 90-135'' kit(expensive) - motorizing/indexing available.

Do you actually need the turntable indexing?

If you use one of the adjustable motor/gear combinations eg Micro
Mark's you could use a regular throttle and the good old US standard
eyeball.

I once saw a P4 (4mm exact scale) layout using prototypes from the
1830s and 1840s (Mike Sharman's Bogsworth Junction, in England), and
he used the same throttle for the trains and turntable, switching
between the two.

I don't know how much practice it took, but he lined the tracks up OK
each time. If he overshot slightly he just backed up to get it right.

Jeff

Nov 19, 2003, 1:36:48 AM11/19/03
I'm not too terribly worried about indexing. Would be nice, but not really
necessary. Thanks for the info though, gave me quite a few leads.

Jeff

Tim Gill

Nov 21, 2003, 2:30:57 AM11/21/03
Good idea. Now I can put that atlas thing to work (got it as a gift some
time ago)

TG

"Ken Bessler" <kg0wxIH...@yahoo.com> wrote in message