Still using rec.juggling?

ali...@yahoo.com

May 21, 2012, 11:22:46 AM5/21/12
I'll still look here for updates and such until nobody else is using it. Does anybody see this and agree?

Dave Barnes

May 21, 2012, 11:29:27 AM5/21/12
On 2012-05-21 15:22:46 +0000, ali...@yahoo.com said:

> I'll still look here for updates and such until nobody else is using
> it. Does anybody see this and agree?

I'll still be here. I'll be using some combination of Jugglehub and
newsreader. I think a good level of traffic is still possible (I
think it may surpass what we've been used to), but I do feel a bit
nervous at the moment, wondering how many people have decided it's too
difficult to access RJ. It really isn't, but eek, change!

Dave

Little Paul

May 21, 2012, 11:34:27 AM5/21/12
On 2012-05-21, ali...@yahoo.com <ali...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'll still look here for updates and such until nobody else is using it.

There are still plenty of ways to get to rec.juggling now that the IJDb is
nolonger around (eg google groups, jugglehub.com, jugglejunction.org or
even a good old news reader)

Based on the traffic so far since the shutdown, it's far too early to
declare rec.juggling dead.

I predict there will be a lull in activity as people realise that the IJDb
has actually shut down, but that will pick up again a little as people
explore the alternatives.

It may not reach the heady heights r.j attained a few years back, but there
is a lot of life left in the horse yet.

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com

Janion

May 21, 2012, 12:50:23 PM5/21/12
ali...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'll still look here for updates and such until nobody else is using it. Does anybody see this and agree?

I don't think r.j. will die just yet

Janion

May 21, 2012, 12:49:25 PM5/21/12
ali...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'll still look here for updates and such until nobody else is using it. Does anybody see this and agree?

pumpkineater23

May 21, 2012, 12:55:07 PM5/21/12
ali...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'll still look here for updates and such until nobody else is using it. Does anybody see this and agree?

I'd highly recommend http://www.jugglehub.com if you haven't looked into it
already.

Really nicely designed. Hopefully a new chapter for rec.juggling.

Pete

Juggling fool

May 21, 2012, 1:38:47 PM5/21/12
ali...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'll still look here for updates and such until nobody else is using it. Does anybody see this and agree?

Yes. www.jugglehub.com

Juggling fool

May 21, 2012, 1:41:46 PM5/21/12
ali...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'll still look here for updates and such until nobody else is using it. Does anybody see this and agree?

Juggling fool

May 21, 2012, 1:41:33 PM5/21/12
ali...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'll still look here for updates and such until nobody else is using it. Does anybody see this and agree?

Juggling fool

May 21, 2012, 1:42:50 PM5/21/12
ali...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'll still look here for updates and such until nobody else is using it. Does anybody see this and agree?

Juggling fool

May 21, 2012, 1:43:33 PM5/21/12
ali...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'll still look here for updates and such until nobody else is using it. Does anybody see this and agree?

Juggling fool

May 21, 2012, 1:43:34 PM5/21/12
ali...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'll still look here for updates and such until nobody else is using it. Does anybody see this and agree?

Juggling fool

May 21, 2012, 1:43:35 PM5/21/12
ali...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'll still look here for updates and such until nobody else is using it. Does anybody see this and agree?

JJ Conductor

May 21, 2012, 2:10:26 PM5/21/12
ali...@yahoo.com wrote:

> I'll still look here for updates and such until nobody else is using it.
Does anybody see this and agree?

I certainly think rec.juggling will be alive for a while. And I'm ready
to stand behind that guess. Over the last few weeks I'm sure I've put in
over 100 hours trying to get http://JuggleJunction.org functioning.

I haven't hyped it a bunch or asked for much feedback yet because,
frankly, I'm well aware that there are bugs and problems with the
JuggleJunction.org website. It is, however, mostly functional. Certainly
this post seems to prove that it is possible to make rec.juggling posts
using it.

This stuff gets a bit complicated. There is a reason the The Hub and
Juggle Junction both are not nice finished website yet. Please be patient
with us.

YES, I think rec.juggling should, and will, stay popular. I think it a
good resource for jugglers. I plan on putting hundreds of more hours into
this project. I wouldn't do that if I didn't think rec.juggling worth
supporting.

Stay tuned, try http://JuggleJunction.org out and please ... be
patient as we work on the next generation of juggling websites.

--Dave, Juggle Junction Conductor

Niall Kelly

May 21, 2012, 2:57:03 PM5/21/12
Juggling fool wrote:
> ali...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > I'll still look here for updates and such until nobody else is using it. Does anybody see this and agree?
> >

> Yes. www.jugglehub.com

It sometimes takes a minute or two for posts to go through, which has
obviously led to people thinking nothing was happening and clicking the post
reply button again, so sorry about that!

I've changed the way messages are posted so that they're submitted in a
background job, so you should now be redirected immediately to the main page
and in some cases you might have to wait a little bit until your message
appears.

Orinoco

May 21, 2012, 3:48:45 PM5/21/12
When I was considering doing a rec.juggling interface, one of the ideas I
had was to insert the message into the database instantly, then remove &
reinsert it when it turns up in the newsfeed. That way your users get the
instant feedback they crave & usenet continues on. Gets a bit complicated
when you have multiple replies posted before the feed catches up, but
doable if you can keep track of the references.

Orin - just checking out the other next gens

(I also toyed with setting up my newsreader to post with the .sig "Posted
via http://www.jugglingedge.com" but that would be childish)

Niall Kelly

May 21, 2012, 6:46:54 PM5/21/12
Yeah, at the moment as soon as the message is submitted to my provider I'm
storing a copy with its reference in my database, so I don't have to wait for
it to show up in the newsfeed, but sometimes getting this confirmation can
take a little while. Instead of this I guess I could store a hash of the
message instantly instead of waiting for confirmation that it was sent.

By the way, if anyone's noticed the bit of downtime the jugglehub has had, its
due to some server problems. I'm moving the site to a different server in the
next few days which will hopefully improve things.

Niall

Juggling fool

May 21, 2012, 6:59:57 PM5/21/12
Juggling fool wrote:
> ali...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > I'll still look here for updates and such until nobody else is using it. Does anybody see this and agree?
> >

> Yes. www.jugglehub.com

Wow, that's a lot of posts.

Tobias

May 22, 2012, 3:34:57 AM5/22/12
On 21.05.2012 21:48, Orinoco wrote:
> (I also toyed with setting up my newsreader to post with the .sig "Posted
> via http://www.jugglingedge.com" but that would be childish)

would it?

gantenbein

May 22, 2012, 3:52:55 AM5/22/12
ali...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'll still look here for updates and such until nobody else is using it. Does anybody see this and agree?

JuggleHub seems to work just fine for me.

Steffen

Aymeric Daval Markussen

May 22, 2012, 4:27:44 AM5/22/12
Juggling fool wrote:
> Juggling fool wrote:
> > ali...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > > I'll still look here for updates and such until nobody else is using it. Does anybody see this and agree?
> > >

> > Yes. www.jugglehub.com
> >

> Wow, that's a lot of posts.

I take it that you agree a lot then :)

Aymeric.

It's Him

May 22, 2012, 4:26:59 AM5/22/12
Little Paul wrote:
Whereas I predict that with so many of the regular contributors going
elsewhere on the internet we are looking at the slow death of rec.juggling.
IJDB provided a home for juggling (events, clubs, rec.juggling, records etc.
in a multi-national format) jugglingedge is the closest so far to providing
all that and it doesn't use rec.juggling! What's more the presentation of
messages is as flexible as newsnet (although I for one would like titles for
subjects) and has the potential to be infinitely adaptable. In my not very
humble opinion it will help kill r.j

Nigel

Little Paul

May 22, 2012, 4:35:46 AM5/22/12
On 2012-05-22, It's Him <ni...@itshim.co.uk.nospam.com> wrote:

> Whereas I predict that with so many of the regular contributors going
> elsewhere on the internet we are looking at the slow death of rec.juggling.

Most of the "regular contributors" I can think of are either still here
on rec.juggling - even if they're also on The Edge (some of them are on
Reddit or facebook too!). The two aren't mutually exclusive by a long
chalk.

According to my feed, there have been 24 articles posted since 5pm yesterday
which doesn't exactly look dead to me. OK so 6 or so of those posts were the
same, but even so.

> IJDB provided a home for juggling (events, clubs, rec.juggling, records etc.
> in a multi-national format) jugglingedge is the closest so far to providing
> all that and it doesn't use rec.juggling!

I think the biggest loss is that Colin put a huge amount of effort in during
the early days to boost the ijdb up the rankings so that if you searched for
"how to juggle" or "juggling" it was pretty high up the rankings.

The replacement sites may have much of the content and/or functionality, but
they don't quite have the visibility yet.

> In my not very humble opinion it will help kill r.j

I think r.j is still quite a way off death. Stop being such a doom monger
and say something cheery instead.

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com

pumpkineater23

May 22, 2012, 6:31:36 AM5/22/12

pumpkineater23

May 22, 2012, 7:14:33 AM5/22/12
One of the things I love about rec.j is that it's never really felt like it is
owned, run and, more importantly, directed by anyone or any particular group.
It doesn't lean any one way, feels genuinely open, as the Internet (and
juggling discussion) should do. Also, rec.j has been around for such a long
time, it seems worth continuing for just that reason, like restoring an old
building, or is that just me?

I don't think online juggling discussion is that active recently anywhere (not
that I know of anyway). I'm thinking, or at least hoping, you have been too
hasty with your prediction.

Pete

Mike Moore

May 22, 2012, 8:34:25 AM5/22/12
ali...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'll still look here for updates and such until nobody else is using it. Does anybody see this and agree?

Still here!

Mike

Jay Linn

May 22, 2012, 8:40:23 AM5/22/12
On Tue, 22 May 2012 13:34:25 +0100, Mike Moore
<miste...@hotmail.com.nospam.com> wrote:

> ali...@yahoo.com wrote:
>> I'll still look here for updates and such until nobody else is using
>> it. Does anybody see this and agree?

I'm still using a newsreader, as ever, so the passing of the IJDb meant a
complete lack of interruption to normal r.j service. Nothing to see here,
move along now.

It's very likely that the demise of the IJDb will put another dent in
r.j's traffic stats, but r.j had been here a long time when the little
upstart arrived, and is still here now the old man has croaked.

I'll be here for the foreseeable.

--
Jay Linn

Not going anywhere.

thegoheads

May 22, 2012, 2:23:35 PM5/22/12
ali...@yahoo.com wrote:

> I'll still look here for updates and such until nobody else is
using it. Does anybody see this and agree?

I don't post very much anymore, but I still check r.j everyday. I
have a good feeling that r.j will live on for a long time, and so
far jugglehub and jugglejunction seem to be great alternatives
to access r.j for those who primarily used the IJDb before.

Jugglejunction's r.j portal seems nearly identical to the IJDb
portal, so ill be using that. Thanks to everyone who worked
hard setting up jugglejunction, it looks great!

-Steve

jesse.a....@gmail.com

May 22, 2012, 8:51:39 PM5/22/12
I'm not going to try promoting trickdb.com on competing sites, so yes. (Potential competitors running r.j portals don't count. :)

JJ Conductor

May 23, 2012, 12:09:32 AM5/23/12
Orinoco wrote:

> When I was considering doing a rec.juggling interface, one of the ideas I
> had was to insert the message into the database instantly, then remove &
> reinsert it when it turns up in the newsfeed. That way your users get the
> instant feedback they crave & usenet continues on. Gets a bit complicated
> when you have multiple replies posted before the feed catches up, but
> doable if you can keep track of the references.
>
> Orin - just checking out the other next gens

Orin, When I first looked into creating JuggleJunction.org I did have that
same thought. I'm pretty sure we can do it. But as you said it may get
complicated and it didn't seem like a high priority. Plus I'm not sure
how critical it is to see your own post a minute or two sooner. I think
forums/newsgroups are sometimes the better for slowing down a bit. For
that matter, I still think the original longer "big talk" timer had a lot
of merit. (which may explain the timing of this reply) :)

> (I also toyed with setting up my newsreader to post with the .sig "Posted
> via http://www.jugglingedge.com" but that would be childish)

"Childish" is often a good thing. I laughed at the thought.

--Dave, JuggleJunction.org Conductor

Jon Peat

May 23, 2012, 4:03:41 AM5/23/12
ali...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'll still look here for updates and such until nobody else is using it. Does anybody see this and agree?

I still lurk. ;-)

Little Paul

May 23, 2012, 5:26:34 AM5/23/12
On 2012-05-23, JJ Conductor <fake....@example.com.nospam.com> wrote:
> Orinoco wrote:
>>
>> When I was considering doing a rec.juggling interface, one of the ideas I
>> had was to insert the message into the database instantly, then remove &
>> reinsert it when it turns up in the newsfeed. That way your users get the
>> instant feedback they crave & usenet continues on. Gets a bit complicated
>> when you have multiple replies posted before the feed catches up, but
>> doable if you can keep track of the references.
>>
>> Orin - just checking out the other next gens
>
> Orin, When I first looked into creating JuggleJunction.org I did have that
> same thought. I'm pretty sure we can do it.

Of course, the "right" way to reduce latency is to do it like this:

- set up a local nntpd (eg inn) and peer it with multiple providers (bonus
resiliance win!)
- it's local, so you can poll it as often as you like when pulling articles
in to the database. This cuts your reception latency a lot.
- posting articles to your local server which are then pulled in quickly
means they show up quickly.

Some nntpd's even allow you to trigger scripts when they receive an article
which could (for example) push it straight into your database at submission
time.

No mucking about with cached copies and a second set of references in a
database table, minimum latency for posts submitted through the web
interface.

Oh, and you get the ability to run a locally tuned copy of cleanfeed and
do some spam filtering! Win!

This was all stuff I wanted to do to IJDb but didn't have the time to sort
out.

JJ Conductor

May 23, 2012, 5:17:05 PM5/23/12
Little Paul wrote:

> Of course, the "right" way to reduce latency is to do it like this:

yep, I agree.

> This was all stuff I wanted to do to IJDb but didn't have the time to sort
> out.

Yep, I agree again. Juggle Junction's todo list is pretty large right
now. But if we ever catch up, it would be cool to do it the "right" way.

--Dave JuggleJunction.org Conductor

JJ Conductor

May 23, 2012, 5:28:43 PM5/23/12
thegoheads wrote:
> Jugglejunction's r.j portal seems nearly identical to the IJDb
> portal, so ill be using that. Thanks to everyone who worked
> hard setting up jugglejunction, it looks great!
>
> -Steve

Thanks!

And again thanks IJDb and PHP headliner crew. I do think it is a good
straightforward design. There are a few changes we'd like to make (for
example the one LP posted elsewhere in this thread), but I think the main
design points will probably remain.

That said, we'd love to hear of any ideas or problems. I'm wondering if
something can be done to make the interface more friendly for mobile
devices. It is a challenge to make HTML code that looks good on all
devices.

--Dave, JuggleJunction.org Conductor

Tim923

May 23, 2012, 9:56:29 PM5/23/12
<ali...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'll still look here for updates and such until >nobody else is using it.
> Does anybody see this >and agree?

I'm using the free news server news.eternal-september.org with Outlook
Express. September is good for text, but not binaries.

Orinoco

May 24, 2012, 1:49:31 PM5/24/12
jesse.a....@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm not going to try promoting trickdb.com on competing sites

You know you are more than welcome to do so right?

Orin

jesse.a....@gmail.com

May 24, 2012, 5:01:08 PM5/24/12
I didn't think you would object, really, but I personally wouldn't like doing so :) (I also don't think it would do me much good.)

thegoheads

May 24, 2012, 8:09:40 PM5/24/12
JJ Conductor wrote:
> I'm wondering if
> something can be done to make the interface more friendly for mobile
> devices.

Well, just to let you know, JJ.org and the r.j portal look and function
amazingly on my mobile device! And that is saying a lot, because few
things work exactly how I want them to on my phone. I tried a few
newsreader apps and google groups and whatnot, and I still found using the
IJDb portal via my phone's web browser highly preferable. I am so
genuinely happy that the IJDb portal basically just moved to JJ.org :)

Also, nice to hear from you again Dave! You sorta disappeared for a
while, haha. Really truly awesome of you to be spending countless hours
working to help out fellow jugglers!

-Steve

Dave Cheetham

May 27, 2012, 10:30:15 PM5/27/12
I'm the same, but with Thunderbird instead of Outlook.

Dave