Bowling Ball Juggling Record

dia...@worldnet.att.net

Jul 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/26/96

Does anyone know if anyone has juggled three bowling balls (minimum
individual weight of 15lb 12oz) for more than 47 catches? If so,
please let me know by whom and how I might contact him/her. This is
for an upcoming TV show broadcast and your collective help will be
much appreciated.

Steve Salberg.
.sig says it's nice to be home from where the Buffalo roam...

dia...@worldnet.att.net

Jul 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/26/96

Oy vey! I'm following up my own post...

On Fri, 26 Jul 1996 06:45:39 GMT, I wrote:

>Does anyone know if anyone has juggled three bowling balls (minimum
>individual weight of 15lb 12oz) for more than 47 catches? If so,
>please let me know by whom and how I might contact him/her. This is
>for an upcoming TV show broadcast and your collective help will be
>much appreciated.

And I forgot to ask if there's anyone in the Detroit area who has any
experience counting catches who would like to help me on this TV
broadcast? Please email me so I can give you details.

Steve (again) S.

Francis Favorini

Jul 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/26/96

In article <31f868ef....@netnews.worldnet.att.net>,
dia...@worldnet.att.net says...

>Does anyone know if anyone has juggled three bowling balls (minimum
>individual weight of 15lb 12oz) for more than 47 catches?

Well, last year in Vegas there was a big guy doing 16-pound shot puts (or
is that shots?) for a while (I seem to remember more than 70 catches).
Don't recall the name or exact details. I believe he was a shot putter.
Does anyone have more info? Also, Bob Nickerson used to do bowling balls,
perhaps he would be a good person to contact. I'm pretty sure I've seen a
guy at a Ren Faire do more that 50 catches with 16-pound bowling balls, but
that was years ago. Bob Whitcomb has juggled 3 10-punders for 100 catches.
Searching the JIS revealed Rick Wilson and Terry Jones posted about
juggling bowling balls. Of course there's always Ray Smith in San
Francisco.

-Fran

Posted and mailed.

VivecaGard

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

In article <4tb5m9$o...@news.ycc.yale.edu>, francis....@yale.edu
(Francis Favorini) writes:

>Of course there's always Ray Smith in San
>Francisco.

Ray Jason?

sky

Jul 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/29/96

In article <4tb5m9$o...@news.ycc.yale.edu>, francis....@yale.edu says...

>In article <31f868ef....@netnews.worldnet.att.net>,
>dia...@worldnet.att.net says...
>>Does anyone know if anyone has juggled three bowling balls (minimum
>>individual weight of 15lb 12oz) for more than 47 catches?
>
>Of course there's always Ray Smith in San Francisco.

If you mean Donia Ray Smith, the black juggler, my understanding is, from a
reputable source, that he was tragically struck in the head by a bowling ball
while performing [this is not a joke, people!] and is in a permanent
semi-vegetative state.

Can anyone verify this?

Sky

Francis Favorini

Jul 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/29/96

In article <4thegi$s...@news-old.tiac.net>, sk...@tiac.net says...

>If you mean Donia Ray Smith, the black juggler,

Yes. (I think it's Donnia) He performed under the name Ray the Heavyweight
Juggler. There is a nice article by Orrel Lanter in JW on the JIS at:
http://www.juggling.org/bin/mfs/JIS/jw/86/4/heavy.html

>my understanding is, from a reputable source, that he was tragically
>struck in the head by a bowling ball while performing [this is not a joke,
>people!] and is in a permanent semi-vegetative state.

I have heard this also, but not for sure. Perhaps Robert Nelson, who
taught him how to juggle might know.

-Fran

mike...@erinet.com

Jul 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/29/96

>>>Does anyone know if anyone has juggled three bowling balls (minimum
>>>individual weight of 15lb 12oz) for more than 47 catches?
>>
>>Of course there's always Ray Smith in San Francisco.
>>
>If you mean Donia Ray Smith, the black juggler, my understanding is, from a
>reputable source, that he was tragically struck in the head by a bowling ball
>while performing [this is not a joke, people!] and is in a permanent
>semi-vegetative state.

>Can anyone verify this?

>Sky

A couple of years ago, I started asking lots of questions about bowling ball
jugglers because of my interest in the potential exercise. I heard time and
time again about the Donia Ray Smith accident but I never heard about the
semi-vegetative state. Some people did tell me that they believed his
accident still affected him in some way.....but no one seemed to know the
specifics. I did, also, hear that the accident occured while he was doing
5 bowling balls......something that he was very solid with and did quite
often. For a while I believed doing 5 bowling balls would be a good
goal, but have since changed my mind and confine myself to
endurance work with 3 - 6 lb. balls.....and I do some joggling work
with them. It seems to give me the exercise I desire and is much safer!

I hear I may be on the 1996 IJA convention video falling over a hurdle
while juggling my three bowling balls (quit laughing).

Peace,

Mike Hout

dia...@planet.net

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

I've been offline for about 2 weeks now and am just catching up
(after switching my ISP again)

On 26 Jul 1996 19:18:33 GMT, francis....@yale.edu (Francis
Favorini) wrote:

ME:

>>Does anyone know if anyone has juggled three bowling balls (minimum
>>individual weight of 15lb 12oz) for more than 47 catches?

FRAN:

>Well, last year in Vegas there was a big guy doing 16-pound shot puts (or
>is that shots?) for a while (I seem to remember more than 70 catches).
>Don't recall the name or exact details. I believe he was a shot putter.

[snip]

>Bob Whitcomb has juggled 3 10-punders for 100 catches.

Funny how we all sometimes think alike. This is quite a testament to
how well this record was set up. The two people scheduled for this
record attempt are Bob Whitcomb (the present unofficial record holder)
and John Sullivan (the big shot-put guy). Very prescient of you Fran.

Jerry Carson has volunteered to be my assistant (thanks Jerry). Y'all
in the UK can look forward to seeing this on RECORD BREAKERS sometime
later this year. Also, depending on time restraints, editing
requirements, and the producer's nausea level, you will probably see
me throwing a few strikes with the bowling balls too!

Steve S.
.sig is *very* dizzy after Steve's address changes!

My new address is my old address: dia...@planet.net
AT&T Worldnet is the devil spawn... beware!

bounc...@gmail.com

May 6, 2018, 8:02:44 PM5/6/18
On Friday, July 26, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, dia...@worldnet.att.net wrote:
> Does anyone know if anyone has juggled three bowling balls (minimum
> individual weight of 15lb 12oz) for more than 47 catches? If so,
> please let me know by whom and how I might contact him/her. This is
> for an upcoming TV show broadcast and your collective help will be
> much appreciated.
>
> Steve Salberg.
> .sig says it's nice to be home from where the Buffalo roam...

Hey Steve,
Reading the info posted brought back some interesting memories. I know some of the people mentioned: Robert Nelson & Bob Nickerson and heard of the others. In fact Bob Nickerson is in the Documentary done about me years later. I actually let Bob try my Bowling Balls in 1980, after he saw me Juggle them in the show.
I met Ray the Heavyweight Juggler back in the Eighties we hung out together and shared stories there in the streets of San Fran about the very subject, Juggling Bowling balls. I heard about the accident, where he was hurt bad and could not perform anymore. The reason that story struck me so strong at the time was I had been juggling Bowling balls since 1977 and performed all over America with my act. In 1980 in Fargo, the TV Show "Games People Play came to the IJA convention and filmed all kinds of Juggling acts, mine included: where I juggled 60 Throws from the right hand count only with 11 LB balls, but the story grew to 16 lb balls over time. I even had the pleasure of Juggling Bowling Balls on Stilts.
You can find the footage and check it out, it was a hoot to do such a show back then. Years later a short documentary was done called The Real Twist and is on youtube. Watch both parts and at the end of the second one, I make 75 throws and catch them!