juggling community dying

alia...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2014, 9:38:04 AM4/10/14
Yeah, I'm just putting that up there as the title to spark a response.
What do you think?

Jamie White

Apr 10, 2014, 10:10:20 AM4/10/14
On Thursday, April 10, 2014 9:38:04 AM UTC-4, alia...@gmail.com wrote:
> Yeah, I'm just putting that up there as the title to spark a response.
>
> What do you think?

I totally agree. I was involved in the community from 2006 - 2010 and when I came back last year, it felt very empty...

thegoheads

Apr 10, 2014, 10:33:45 AM4/10/14
alia...@gmail.com wrote:
> Yeah, I'm just putting that up there as the title to spark a response.
> What do you think?

It's not dead, it just moved to facebook ;)

I suspect the number of jugglers worldwide is on a steady rise. Perhaps it
felt more of a
"community" when it was smaller?

Trog Woolley

Apr 14, 2014, 5:36:22 PM4/14/14
While stranded on the hard shoulder of the information super highway alia...@gmail.com typed:
> Yeah, I'm just putting that up there as the title to spark a response.
> What do you think?

Yep totally agree. Not only is this group dying, newsnet is general is
dying. I think most of the old posters have moved to FB or twitter.
There are exceptions, of course. One of the old timer computing groups
I read is still very active.

I think juggling itself is dying, especially around where I live. When I
started 15+ years ago, it wasn't unusual to have 30 or 40 people in the
room. When I last juggled, two years ago, there were 4 or 5 from a pool
of 9. I stopped when the club moved way over the other side of the city
and I don't even know if it is still going. I've tried to kick something
off locally but it is impossible to find a venue which a small group of
ugglers can afford to hire, and for me to subsidise until the club kicks
off. With summer around the corner, I can go and practice in the park
which might drum up some intererst, although I doubt it.

The only juggling local to me runs 17:00-19:00 which is no good with a
full time job. Hey Ho!

--
Trog Woolley | (A Croweater stuck in Pommie Land)

Little Paul

Apr 23, 2014, 9:30:12 AM4/23/14
On 2014-04-10, alia...@gmail.com <alia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I'm just putting that up there as the title to spark a response.
> What do you think?

Today is my first day back in work since the BJC, and I think I can happily
report that the juggling community in the UK is quite a long way from death.

rec.juggling is near dead, but jugglers are still communicating via the
internet. Youtube/facebook/twitter are all full of jugglers sharing new
ideas and talking enthusiastically about juggling.

A lot of it is at the "OMG! look at this video!" level (which is fine) but
there's still a lot of textural discussion happening.

Personally, I've made a very comfortable home for myself at
http://jugglingedge.com which has a comparatively small, but steadily growing
userbase[1]. The signal to noise ratio is outstanding though, and the recent
interest in juggling trivia/history has been a lot of fun.

There's been some nice verbose convention reviews, and lively discussion
about the future shape of the BJC on there recently. I've also got a lot of
help about balancing golf clubs on my face from there in recent months as
well.

-Paul
[1] See http://jugglingedge.com/greeneggs.php
--
http://paulseward.com

david

May 1, 2014, 8:23:31 AM5/1/14

dmard...@gmail.com

May 5, 2014, 9:46:17 AM5/5/14
On Thursday, April 10, 2014 10:38:04 PM UTC+9, alia...@gmail.com wrote:
> Yeah, I'm just putting that up there as the title to spark a response.
>
> What do you think?

I used to post to rec.juggling around early/mid 2000. Now I just lurk and read, but it does appear that fewer people post here compared with 5-10 years back.

jmal...@gmail.com

May 7, 2014, 1:47:31 AM5/7/14

artif...@gmail.com

May 8, 2014, 11:01:20 AM5/8/14
The juggling subreddit is certainly what I frequent the most, followed by jugglingedge.com.

Alla Gordon

May 13, 2014, 10:02:50 PM5/13/14
(I'm the OP) I didn't even look at jugglingedge, I assumed it just was based on rec.juggling. by the juggling community dying, I think I meant both quality videos and presence on rec.juggling, rather than the whole community in general. I think that comment about it feeling more like a community when it's smaller is interesting.

Little Paul

May 14, 2014, 9:10:11 AM5/14/14
On 2014-05-14, Alla Gordon <allav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> (I'm the OP) I didn't even look at jugglingedge, I assumed it just
> was based on rec.juggling. by the juggling community dying, I think I
> meant both quality videos and presence on rec.juggling, rather than
> the whole community in general.

Quality videos are still happening, although where to look for them is
nolonger as obvious as it once was. Some of the juggling videos I've
seen on vimeo over the last year or so are awesome - in both quality
of juggling and quality of videography.

How have I found those videos? They ge posted on jugglingedge.com
from time to time.

> I think that comment about it feeling more like a community when it's
> smaller is interesting.

A vilage where everyone knows everyone elses name feels much more
like a community than a big city does.

That's just human nature

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com

Andrew

May 16, 2014, 11:58:37 AM5/16/14
On Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:10:11 AM UTC-5, Little Paul wrote:
> How have I found those videos? They get posted on jugglingedge.com
> from time to time.

The IJA's "Juggler's Scoop" is also a good source for discovering quality videos.
http://ezine.juggle.org/author/nrwakefieldgmail-com/

Todd17

Jun 22, 2014, 5:40:11 PM6/22/14
On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 06:38:04 -0700 (PDT), alia...@gmail.com wrote:

>Yeah, I'm just putting that up there as the title to spark a response.
>What do you think?

For a long time when other newsgroups were dying, rec.juggling,
sci.math, and sci.physics were always busy. It's not like the late
1990s anymore. When those go, it will be sad.

samuele...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2014, 3:21:03 PM11/5/14
Hi to all, the new social network is killing half of the web.
I totally agree about that.

I'm the admin of giocoleria.org (the biggest juggling website in italy with over 30.000 members - we are born in october 2003), and me and also the other admin (Geppo) have see that the jugglers are moveing in facebook/twitter.

If you are interested, we have almost done the translation of our website in english.

We have:
- News
- Forums
- Photo Gallery
- Video Gallery
- Calendar Events
- Juggling Maps
- Weblinks
- Tutorial

And 2 years ago we have start a new project: the first Juggling Social Network for jugglers.

I'd like if you join in our community for help us to understand what we can do better in giocoleria.org

I'm sorry for my poor english...

You can Join in our community by this link:
http://www.giocoleria.org/en/