New Balls

Lathrisk

Oct 18, 2011, 11:26:56 AM10/18/11

I have had a browse through the forum but looking for some fresh opinions.

I have been juggling Mr Babache Silicon coated balls for sometime but
they're getting a little saggy.

I think the decision is currently between 110g Skoshballs (cheap), 62mm
MMX (medium) or 67mm Sil-X (expensive!).

At present I am learning 7 ball cascade and I'm hoping some new balls will
freshen up the process.

Any advice?

Thanks,

-Jared

Poor-

Oct 18, 2011, 1:01:29 PM10/18/11
Lathrisk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have had a browse through the forum but looking for some fresh opinions.
>
> I have been juggling Mr Babache Silicon coated balls for sometime but
> they're getting a little saggy.
>
> I think the decision is currently between 110g Skoshballs (cheap), 62mm
> MMX (medium) or 67mm Sil-X (expensive!).
>
> At present I am learning 7 ball cascade and I'm hoping some new balls will
> freshen up the process.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Jared

All I can tell you is that Sil-X balls roll. You will have to chase them
a lot. I have the Sil-X Implosions so I'm not sure if they have the same
shell as the regular version, but with the Implosions dirt will stick to
the shell which is annoying if you practice outside.

Thomas Lins

Oct 18, 2011, 1:10:04 PM10/18/11
Lathrisk wrote:

> I think the decision is currently between 110g Skoshballs (cheap), 62mm
> MMX (medium) or 67mm Sil-X (expensive!).

What are skoshballs ? I can't find any link on the internet.

dpawson

Oct 18, 2011, 1:36:38 PM10/18/11
Poor- wrote:

> All I can tell you is that Sil-X balls roll. You will have to chase them
> a lot. I have the Sil-X Implosions so I'm not sure if they have the same
> shell as the regular version, but with the Implosions dirt will stick to
> the shell which is annoying if you practice outside.

Yup. I own a set of Implosions as well. I won't say I don't like them, but
they really aren't what they initially seem. I think they are presented as
some sort of technological improvement on a russian ball, and they really
bear little to no resemblance to a russian ball in practice. In a typical
russian ball, the fill weighs at least 10 times the shell, leading to that
'plop'. I haven't drained a Sil-X to do the comparable measurement, but I
would feel pretty confident the shell is probably heavier than the liquid
fill. So it really doesn't feel very russian at all; more like a stage
ball. The rolling is another side effect of this. They definitely roll
more than any russian would. This also factors in when you get collisions
in your pattern. Two russian balls collide, they tend to shrug off each
other and it often isn't fatal. If I hit one Sil-X with another, game
over. They bounce off each other forcefully, and my pattern is almost
surely a goner.

I also own a set of MMX balls, and I'd say that because of the Sil-X
feedback above, it almost seems pointless to answer the question as asked.
An MMX and a Sil-X feel so different that I couldn't realistic tell you
which one you should buy. You'd have to try both and see.

E Rock

Oct 18, 2011, 1:45:09 PM10/18/11
I have 5 67mm Sil-x balls and I hate them. I can juggle my play pit
Russian for over 10 minutes, but have a ton of trouble hitting 100
catches with the sil-x. If you plan on getting sil-x I wouldn't buy
more than 3 of them as they do not juggle well enough for numbers.
Having liquid in a ball does not help juggling, that is why there is
only one ball that is designed this way.

And about new balls: Play pit Russians are the best ball I have
juggled by far. I was hesitant to go for homemade balls, but I love
them and now have two sets of 8 of them. They are a little larger, but
I think collecting it easier as the balls kinda slip past each other
when they collide in the air; The pattern does not explode when you
have a collision.

-Eric's two cents

Thomas Lins

Oct 18, 2011, 2:34:39 PM10/18/11
E Rock wrote:

> If you plan on getting sil-x I wouldn't buy
> more than 3 of them as they do not juggle well enough for numbers.

That's definitely not fair. That you don't like them is ok, but i think
your statement is excessive. I have no special appreciation for those
balls, but can juggle 7 of them for over a minute, something i can't do
with every juggling balls, and i know other jugglers that can do quite
well with them.

Kristian

Oct 18, 2011, 3:40:49 PM10/18/11
Stay tuned, a new ball is soon to be launched.

Kristian

dpawson

Oct 18, 2011, 4:24:43 PM10/18/11
I think his other comment is accurate, for better or worse. I think they
can be less forgiving for numbers, because when you get a collision of any
sort it is extremely difficult to recover. But depending on your outlook,
that isn't necessarily bad. In the end what I've concluded is that I try
to use them for 5 or less. I still get shorter runs of 5 with them than I
do my russians, but I think they are "keeping me honest" and making me
clean up my pattern. In a 5 ball endurance contest (which I'll lose 100%
of the time anyway ;-), I'll use my russians, but when training and
practicing I use Sil-X. With 6 or more I still use russians, but I also
use 2.5 inch balls instead of 3 inch balls. In theory it would probably be
good for me in the long run to stick with the Sil-X for 6 or 7, but it
just makes me so hopeless in the present that it isn't even fun to try heh

biztheclown

Oct 18, 2011, 4:58:54 PM10/18/11
I agree that sil-x balls should not be looked at as a replacement for
Russians, as they are very different.

They should, however, be viewed as an excellent replacement and
improvement over STAGE balls. They look great in the air and are very
visually pleasing. The liquid inside is enough to change the action to a
very slight russian effect, and does reduce the roll. That said, they are
pretty unforgiving to collisions. I regard them as great balls for
performing, and for cleaning up already solid patterns. I do not use them
for learning new numbers, for the reasons stated above.

They are really great balls though. Worth the dough.

Lathrisk

Oct 18, 2011, 6:21:53 PM10/18/11
Thanks for all the feedback! I think at the moment I need to do two things
- try and get my hands on both a set of russians and Sil-X to try before I
buy and in the mean time get some cheap and cheerful temps or a nice set
of customs from Gballz or the likes.

Thanks again for the input!

Lathrisk

Oct 18, 2011, 6:23:32 PM10/18/11
Thomas Lins wrote:

> Lathrisk wrote:
>
> > I think the decision is currently between 110g Skoshballs (cheap), 62mm
> > MMX (medium) or 67mm Sil-X (expensive!).
>
> What are skoshballs ? I can't find any link on the internet.

Hi, the this is a link to the ones I currently own -
http://www.oddballs.co.uk/mr-babache-silicone-coated-beanbags-130g-p-3012.html

(Can I post links like that on this forum?)

Lathrisk

Oct 18, 2011, 6:25:13 PM10/18/11
I like your records on your profile!

What do you mean new ball launched soon? Do you sell/make?

Jared

Thomas Lins

Oct 18, 2011, 7:08:39 PM10/18/11
Lathrisk wrote:

> Thomas Lins wrote:

> > Lathrisk wrote:
> >
> > > I think the decision is currently between 110g Skoshballs (cheap), 62mm
> > > MMX (medium) or 67mm Sil-X (expensive!).
> >
> > What are skoshballs ? I can't find any link on the internet.
> >
> > 3012.html
>

> Hi, the this is a link to the ones I currently own -
> http://www.oddballs.co.uk/mr-babache-silicone-coated-beanbags-130g-p-
> (Can I post links like that on this forum?)

Oh, that would be a synonym for beanbag, right ?

Thank you for the link !

Adam Rowney

Oct 18, 2011, 7:24:10 PM10/18/11
Lathrisk wrote:

> Thomas Lins wrote:
> >
> > Lathrisk wrote:
> >
> > > I think the decision is currently between 110g Skoshballs (cheap), 62mm
> > > MMX (medium) or 67mm Sil-X (expensive!).
> >
> > What are skoshballs ? I can't find any link on the internet.
> >

> Hi, the this is a link to the ones I currently own -

http://www.oddballs.co.uk/mr-babache-silicone-coated-beanbags-130g-p-3012.html

> (Can I post links like that on this forum?)

Sure you can post links like that :)

And that is the juggling ball I use. Admittedly, after 2 years, mine are
knackered, but still usable. Ideally, between 1month and 1 year old, they
were perfect, and I intend to buy a new set sometime. I find stageballs
just are too much hassle when they collide, and are difficult to do
multiplexing, so I don't intend to change.

Adam Rowney

Oct 18, 2011, 7:34:15 PM10/18/11
Lathrisk wrote:

> I like your records on your profile!

Because he is one of the best technical jugglers in the world :) He has
such a strong and high pattern, and his 7 ball cascade is so high!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giOsNhQL3Mo

E Rock

Oct 18, 2011, 8:27:41 PM10/18/11
On Oct 18, 1:34 pm, ilma...@hotmail.com.nospam.com (Thomas Lins)
wrote:
Fair enough.

David Cherepov

Oct 18, 2011, 9:37:29 PM10/18/11
Sportcos and Gballz beanbags are the best in durability and feel, among
with some others like Flying Clipper. These are pretty expensive, though
not as expensive as Sil-xs(which are good too

C*C*K

Oct 19, 2011, 9:47:40 AM10/19/11
Lathrisk wrote:

> I think the decision is currently between 110g Skoshballs (cheap), 62mm
> MMX (medium) or 67mm Sil-X (expensive!).
>
> At present I am learning 7 ball cascade and I'm hoping some new balls will
> freshen up the process.
>
> Any advice?

I wouldn´t recommend 67 mm SIL-X for establishing 7 Balls ( only if you are
kind of good with 7 , lets say 150+ Catches , they make sence ).
I would´t either recommend 62 mm MMX , they are to small , which ends in
non-accuracy ( they are only good , for the first start with 7 , to learn
the flash).
Why don´t you stay to your Mister Babache Soft Silicone ?
You are used to them , so why not going for 7 and take them with you ?
I juggled them 2006/2007 and they worked well for 7.

Personaly I prefer "Homemade Russians" 78mm / 90g for 7. But it´s kind of
hard to flash them in the beginning , cause they are big.

I would recommend good Homemade Russians ( minimum 67 mm / 90 g ) , with a
coarse sand filling when you want to change from your Beanbags to Balls,
but
be aware that you mabye need 2 month of training with them to get the clue.

I have never found a commercial ball which could win a fight against my
Homemade Russians.

Good Luck, Christoph.

Poor-

Oct 19, 2011, 1:09:21 PM10/19/11
Lathrisk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have had a browse through the forum but looking for some fresh opinions.
>
> I have been juggling Mr Babache Silicon coated balls for sometime but
> they're getting a little saggy.
>
> I think the decision is currently between 110g Skoshballs (cheap), 62mm
> MMX (medium) or 67mm Sil-X (expensive!).
>
> At present I am learning 7 ball cascade and I'm hoping some new balls will
> freshen up the process.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Jared

Maybe you should try the SRX balls. They are made by the same company
that makes the Sil-X balls. They are real Russians that are filled with
sand. Like the Sil-X, they come in the 67mm and 78mm sizes. If someone
would like to share their experience with them that would be great because
I thinking of buying a set of the 67mm ones for learning the 7 ball
cascade.

Juggling fool

Oct 19, 2011, 1:33:34 PM10/19/11
Lathrisk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have had a browse through the forum but looking for some fresh opinions.
>
> I have been juggling Mr Babache Silicon coated balls for sometime but
> they're getting a little saggy.
>
> I think the decision is currently between 110g Skoshballs (cheap), 62mm
> MMX (medium) or 67mm Sil-X (expensive!).
>
> At present I am learning 7 ball cascade and I'm hoping some new balls will
> freshen up the process.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Jared

http://www.jugglingdb.com/news/thread.php?author=Juggling+fool&offset=40&id=250090&group=1
In case you missed this (and the even older thread it links to)

C*C*K

Oct 19, 2011, 2:05:36 PM10/19/11
Poor- wrote:

> Maybe you should try the SRX balls. They are made by the same company
> that makes the Sil-X balls. They are real Russians that are filled with
> sand. Like the Sil-X, they come in the 67mm and 78mm sizes. If someone
> would like to share their experience with them that would be great because
> I thinking of buying a set of the 67mm ones for learning the 7 ball
> cascade.

The SRX in 67 mm is not a real Russian Ball. It is a MMX shell half filled
with very thin sand ( in my opinion to thin - so they wobble a little ).
Real Russian Balls have a very light plastic shell ( maximum 20 grams
heavy ).
Whatever, I have some SRX in 67 mm and I like them and they can be
recommended
for learning 7, but I a prefer homemade russians which don´t wobble when
they
are filled correctly.
Good Luck, Christoph.

Kristian

Oct 22, 2011, 8:33:41 PM10/22/11

Uri Yurman

Nov 3, 2011, 5:20:53 PM11/3/11
After a couple of years off, I just got back to producing juggling
beanbags, which I subjectively recommend.

I make them from double layered cotton using a rounded octahedron (8
triangular panels) pattern.

Uri Yurman

manojuggling

Jan 7, 2018, 4:59:42 PM1/7/18
It's cheaper to get Russian juggling balls from here:
https://manojuggling.com/