devilstick history

zedric

Aug 26, 2003, 1:36:25 PM8/26/03
Hi
I'm from France, so sorry if my english seems peculiar....
I am extremely interrested in any information about when and
how...etc, did the devilstick appear.
I have started "researches" on devilstick.net, but I thought maybe
here some jugglers would give me advices, sites, and maybe answers !
Right now, I find extremely strange the fact that "devil" in the word
"devilstick" doesn't mean Devil, but "to turn in the air" from the
ancient greek... It sounds strange to me, because in france we call
devilstick "bâton du diable", that means stick of the Devil...!
Thank you and let me know !
Et vive la jonglerie ! Et les échanges internationaux !

Adria M Moskowitz

Aug 26, 2003, 5:21:20 PM8/26/03
I suggest you read this paper by Chris Ivey. Then look at some of the
sources that he uses in his bibliography.

-Adria

http://muweb.millersville.edu/~columbus/papers/ivey-c.html

zedric

Aug 27, 2003, 6:32:51 AM8/27/03
Thank you Adria, I will read this paper carefully !
I've already read most of the internet sources (juggling.org)...
And one day I'll buy "4000 years of juggling" by K. H. Ziethen...
Unfortunately, it doesn't exist in french ! (sob) only in german and
english...
And I'll keep on searching for informations about devilstick !

Henning Wiescher

Sep 3, 2003, 8:12:54 PM9/3/03
> And I'll keep on searching for informations about devilstick !

after checking out strange devilstick.net and very good devilstick.org don't
miss to check out www.devilstick.de

You'll find some history in Todd Strongs excellent devilstick book.

Henning.

lukas.e.r...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2015, 12:32:58 PM4/2/15