14 rings *on film* !!!

Jay Linn

Nov 2, 2001, 11:56:06 AM11/2/01
A moment ago my daughter was watching "Record Breakers" on TV. I
wasn't really paying much attention, but my ears pricked up when they
said something about an attempt on a juggling record, which they are
going to screen on next week's show. I believe they mentioned San
Francisco, and I glimpsed a shot of what could have been the atrium of
the Frisco Hyatt, with a bunch of rings in the air.

I'm sorry I wasn't paying attention, but it does sound like they
will be showing some sort of attempt on a rings record next Friday,
Record Breakers, BBC 1, around 4:30pm GMT. That would suggest Albert
Lucas [1], wouldn't it?

Hopefully, Record Breakers will only be there for the eye candy,
and the attempt will be inconclusive to the sophisticated eyes of us
rec.juggleniks, and then we can have another nice long slanging match
;-)

[1] To be honest, I'm so nonplussed by numbers juggling that I can't
really remember the name of the guy who has / hasn't / will / wont / can
/ can't flash 14 rings, who was the subject of a long argument here
recently. But I *think* it was Albert Lucas. No doubt you will correct
me, Fergie, unless your mouth is full of humble pie! (As if).

--
Jay Linn.

"I'm off for a quiet pint - followed by 15 noisy ones" - Gareth Chilcott

Michael Ferguson

Nov 10, 2001, 7:10:35 PM11/10/01
In article <9ruk85$c11$1...@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Jay Linn"

No, thank you, I won't be having any of that humble pie this time, Mr.
Linn, but would you like a scoop of ice cream on your slice?

It was indeed a tough pull for me, as I had to erect a high gain stacked
array tv antenna in a roaring gale, and then build a format converter
with a low noise pre-amp at the last minute, but in the end I did get a
weak signal from England and it looked to me like ... <drum roll>
Well, dang, he didn't do it! <sigh> AGAIN, he didn't do it! <sheesh>

Credit to Record Breakers though, as they did NOT show all 64 some
failed attempts. To their detriment however, they did promise the
"World's Greatest Juggler", but Anthony was nowhere to be seen.

So, our long nightmare continues.

But one of these days... surely ...
;-)

Anticipatingly yours,

--
Michael Ferguson (a.k.a. Fergie)

Jay Linn

Nov 12, 2001, 4:54:26 AM11/12/01
Michael Ferguson wrote in message
<3beeb571...@news.parrett.net>...

<snip>

>No, thank you, I won't be having any of that humble pie this time, Mr.
>Linn, but would you like a scoop of ice cream on your slice?

(never backward in coming forward). Mmm, please. Got any beers
as well?

>Credit to Record Breakers though, as they did NOT show all 64 some
>failed attempts.

Phew!

>To their detriment however, they did promise the
>"World's Greatest Juggler", but Anthony was nowhere to be seen.

A tiny inaccuracy - I believe I heard them say "one of the
world's greatest jugglers", thereby enabling r.j to begin a whole new
thread about whether Albert is a second rate juggler ;-)

Unkle Steve

Nov 12, 2001, 8:43:36 AM11/12/01
I'm just wondering....

Does anyone else find this "Worlds Greatest Juggler" nonsense to be
pretty insulting to all the people who could easily wipe the floor
with the defeated carcass of Albert Lucas? All i've ever seen the guy
do, in 5 years, is walk around the gym, hand out business cards, and
spend an hour or two to get some rings in the air. Walk around the
edge of that crowd of lemmings watching him and you can see a hundred
difrerent people making up a hundred cooler tricks.

When I think "Worlds Greatest Juggler", I think of Jay Gilligan, Sean
McKinney, whoever that guy was that was doing 3 clubs and ollieing
over people on his skateboard in Madison, Mark Nizer, those Chinese
guys catching giant ceramic jugs on their heads.....

There are a hell of a lot, and I mean A HELL OF A LOT of people doing
great things every day to advance juggling. All i've seen Albert do is
talk about how much he wants to advance it, but only in a direction
that will favor him (numbers, joggling, blah blah). Methinks he should
spend less time on his press kits, and more time learning some new
tricks, or even (god forbid) making some up.

What a waste.