Antipoden/foot juggling

diabolomika

Oct 3, 2007, 8:33:49 AM10/3/07
I am looking for some info on antipoden- surprisingly i found nothing in
regards to antipoden on this
board. I also found hardly anything on google. So if you know a book on
the technique and a how to sew
an antipoden cloth- let me know. I have done some antipoden juggling in my
circus school, but that's a
while ago...so i need more info

jani

Oct 3, 2007, 9:02:29 AM10/3/07
diabolomika wrote:
> I am looking for some info on antipoden- surprisingly i found nothing in
> regards to antipoden on this
> board. I also found hardly anything on google.

Try searching for "antipodism".

jani
--
- Jani's Photo of the Day -
An attempt to shoot and publish

The Void

Oct 3, 2007, 9:18:53 AM10/3/07
jani wrote:
> diabolomika wrote:
> > I am looking for some info on antipoden- surprisingly i found nothing in
> > regards to antipoden on this
> > board. I also found hardly anything on google.
>
> Try searching for "antipodism".

And/or "antipodist".

The Void
You could have just asked her nicely, Jani.

Arron S

Oct 3, 2007, 1:05:59 PM10/3/07
diabolomika wrote:

> I am looking for some info on antipoden- surprisingly i found nothing in
> regards to antipoden on this
> board.

I'm not sure if it is that suprising, as it is very unusuall to see anyone
at a juggling convention doing old skool foot juggling (I don't think I
have ever seen anyone practicing it at a convention). So on the whole the
type of people who post on rec.juggling (largly hobbyists) just don't do
it. Which is a shame as I think it is pretty rad.

I would learn it myself but my flexability is so poor that it would be
much harder for me and look rubbish even if I could do stuff.

> So if you know a book on
> the technique and a how to sew
> an antipoden cloth- let me know. I have done some antipoden juggling in my
> circus school, but that's a
> while ago...so i need more info

Well the cloth on the whole seems to have weighted edges to it (or appears
that way on video) so you could sew in curtian chain to the material.

Just some guesses.

Do you have a chair? Know where to get one or how to make one? They look
fairly simple but I was just wondering if there is anything you should
know about correct spine position so as to avoid being a bit messed up
when you get old(er)?

If you find anything cool please post it here!

Thanks

Arron

arron at arronsparks dot com

Little Paul

Oct 3, 2007, 2:50:13 PM10/3/07
On 2007-10-03, Arron S <will_...@hotmail.com.nospam.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure if it is that surprising, as it is very unusual to see anyone

> at a juggling convention doing old skool foot juggling (I don't think I
> have ever seen anyone practising it at a convention). So on the whole the

> type of people who post on rec.juggling (largly hobbyists) just don't do
> it. Which is a shame as I think it is pretty rad.

<AOL>
Me too
</AOL>

> I would learn it myself but my flexibility is so poor that it would be

> much harder for me and look rubbish even if I could do stuff.

I think it would be worth playing with even if it does look rubbish.
I keep meaning to have a go myself but don't really know where to start

I'm hoping this thread will throw up some ideas

> Well the cloth on the whole seems to have weighted edges to it (or appears

> that way on video) so you could sew in curtain chain to the material.

That sounds about right based on cloth circles I've made for hand
spinning. It makes sense that you would do the same thing but with
a larger diameter cloth.

> Do you have a chair? Know where to get one or how to make one? They look
> fairly simple but I was just wondering if there is anything you should
> know about correct spine position so as to avoid being a bit messed up
> when you get old(er)?

I've seen video, mainly of archive material, where they don't use
a chair, but rather a triangular cushion attached to a cloth mat.

I've seen similar things for sale in various hippy shops over the years
but never bought one. I like to keep my house tie-dye free.

I've also seen performers who support themselves with their arms
but I wouldn't want to learn like that. Seems like a recipe for
fatigue/back pain to me.

I have seen very little in the way of footage of the learning process
and what little I have seen was of Chinese kids with sodding great
pots/jars - they had a cage over them, presumably to stop them
hurting themselves when they drop the pot.

I guess that's not needed for a cloth, but it might be a useful
idea for when you move on to other objects. I'd at least have
spotters.

Arron, do you have any access to anyone at circus space who might have
some insight into this stuff? I'd love to hear more about this sort
of thing, and possibly have a go myself - although I'm sure my attempts
would look much worse than Arrons...

> If you find anything cool please post it here!

Ooh! Yes please!

-Paul

Arron S

Oct 3, 2007, 5:21:19 PM10/3/07

> I have seen very little in the way of footage of the learning process
> and what little I have seen was of Chinese kids with sodding great
> pots/jars - they had a cage over them, presumably to stop them
> hurting themselves when they drop the pot.

Not heard of a chage but it sounds a bit to safe for Chinese methods ;)

> I guess that's not needed for a cloth, but it might be a useful
> idea for when you move on to other objects. I'd at least have
> spotters.

I recon spotters is the way to go. Saves you getting up all the time!

> Arron, do you have any access to anyone at circus space who might have
> some insight into this stuff? I'd love to hear more about this sort
> of thing, and possibly have a go myself - although I'm sure my attempts
> would look much worse than Arrons...

Well I have spoken briefly to Charile Holland (who may well be reading
this) and keep meaning to set up a meeting with him to find out more. He
knows lots of.... well stuff! and loves his rizley wich has to be relvant
to foot juggling!

There is also a juggler at Circus Space (Tim Lenkiewicz) who went to
Portugal and did teach it a little bit. He got the kids to start with
basket balls and just spotted a tube when they got to that.

He also talked about 2 different types of 'chairs'. One where your whole
body is raised and the end pointing towards the ground stops you sliding
out. The second is a bend where your top part is horizontal and your lower
back and legs are at an incline.

There are a few great acts coming out of circus schools, particularly Kiev
Circus School. And I saw an amazing act in the show Soap at the Chamaleon
varierty theatre in Berlin over the summer. So there is new good stuff out
there. Just not in the juggling comunity.

> > If you find anything cool please post it here!

I will talk to Charile!

> Ooh! Yes please!
>
> -Paul

Arron

Luke Burrage

Oct 4, 2007, 4:13:46 PM10/4/07
diabolomika wrote:

> I am looking for some info on antipoden- surprisingly i found nothing in
> regards to antipoden on this
> board. I also found hardly anything on google. So if you know a book on
> the technique and a how to sew
> an antipoden cloth- let me know. I have done some antipoden juggling in my
> circus school, but that's a
> while ago...so i need more info

There was an article in Kaskade last year that was a good introduction to
the skill. It was written by someone who has taught it a lot to a basic
level.

Pop over to the website and you'll probably find which issue.
www.kaskade.de

I've tried it a few times myself over the years but I got sick of dropping
things on my head.

Luke

fool...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2007, 10:54:44 AM10/23/07
On Oct 3, 2:33 pm, diabolom...@yahoo.co.uk.nospam.com (diabolomika)
wrote:

both my wife and I are antipodists. Currently working in Switzerland
with Circus Monti <http://www.circus-monti.ch>. She spins carpets; I
do not. We both studied in China.

You need a few layers of cloth. You can weight the edges with cotton
clothes line (as in China...at least for practice) or curtain weights
sewn along the edge. Circles are apparently more difficult to spin
than squares. There is no magic size that works -- just hours and
hours of practice. If you're more interested in the effect rather than
pure skill, you could sew a ring (5-10cm -- more or less depending on
what's comfortable and whether the carpets are fo hand or foot) in the
center bottom of your carpet. I just saw Afrika!Afrika! and they did
nothing to hide the rings on the underside (which were even a
different color from the carpets!) but the crowd still went wild when
all 4 limbs had carpets spinning. The ring could be hard plastic or a
rope sewn in.

let me know if you need more info, We also foot juggle jars, table,
cylinders and have done some risley/icarian (but not to the point of a
finished performable number). You can check out our videos on
youtube.com/fooltime

good luck!

Carlo Gentile

The Void

Oct 23, 2007, 12:23:03 PM10/23/07
fool...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I am looking for some info on antipoden- surprisingly i found nothing in
> > regards to antipoden on this
> > board. I also found hardly anything on google. So if you know a book on
> > the technique and a how to sew
> > an antipoden cloth- let me know. I have done some antipoden juggling in my
> > circus school, but that's a
> > while ago...so i need more info
>
> both my wife and I are antipodists. Currently working in Switzerland
> with Circus Monti <http://www.circus-monti.ch>. She spins carpets; I
> do not. We both studied in China.
>
> You need a few layers of cloth. You can weight the edges with cotton
> clothes line (as in China...at least for practice) or curtain weights
> sewn along the edge. Circles are apparently more difficult to spin
> than squares. There is no magic size that works -- just hours and
> hours of practice. If you're more interested in the effect rather than
> pure skill, you could sew a ring (5-10cm -- more or less depending on
> what's comfortable and whether the carpets are fo hand or foot) in the
> center bottom of your carpet. I just saw Afrika!Afrika! and they did
> nothing to hide the rings on the underside (which were even a
> different color from the carpets!) but the crowd still went wild when
> all 4 limbs had carpets spinning. The ring could be hard plastic or a
> rope sewn in.
>
> let me know if you need more info, We also foot juggle jars, table,
> cylinders and have done some risley/icarian (but not to the point of a
> finished performable number). You can check out our videos on
> youtube.com/fooltime

Thanks for the info. I enjoyed the chef act video on your site. You might
like these, if you haven't
already seen them:
http://www.juggling.tv/vaults/search_result.php?
search_id=antipodist&search_typ=search_videos&x=0&y=0

Cheers,
The Void
Unspun

ella.p

Aug 26, 2008, 6:54:33 AM8/26/08

I am a foot juggler my foot juggling is a unique typ
go to http://uk.youtube.com/user/candypopie to view my vids and you can
ask me for more info if i do the footjuggling you r taking about

ManiacDrew

Aug 26, 2008, 12:23:57 PM8/26/08
fool...@gmail.com wrote:

> both my wife and I are antipodists.
>
> good luck!
>
> Carlo Gentile

OH wow! Are you related to this "Gentile":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMl29tGWKi8

I wasn't feeling the beginning cloth part,
but I'm extremely impressed with the pot!

MD

ManiacDrew

Aug 26, 2008, 12:31:22 PM8/26/08

Those wacky antipodists!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll-wSlU-Kwo

MD

ijuggle42

Aug 26, 2008, 1:49:06 PM8/26/08
ManiacDrew wrote:

> Those wacky antipodists!
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll-wSlU-Kwo
>
> MD

That was bad ass..

Bob Neuman

Aug 27, 2008, 9:13:26 AM8/27/08
Now that's entertainment.
Bob N.

ella.p

Aug 28, 2008, 11:07:48 AM8/28/08
diabolomika wrote:

> I am looking for some info on antipoden- surprisingly i found nothing in
> regards to antipoden on this
> board. I also found hardly anything on google. So if you know a book on
> the technique and a how to sew
> an antipoden cloth- let me know. I have done some antipoden juggling in my
> circus school, but that's a
> while ago...so i need more info

go 2 http://uk.youtube.com/user/candypopie

tsodik...@mail.ru

Dec 12, 2014, 10:21:04 AM12/12/14
среда, 3 октября 2007 г., 22:33:49 UTC+10 пользователь diabolomika написал:
Hi we are the Tsodikova twins, antipode jugglers with carpets,
if you still looking for the carpets contact us.
Check out our page.
https://www.facebook.com/CrystalLadiesOfficial?fref=ts