Sterling Arms Model 400 MK II .380?

John Husvar

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
Does anyone know anything about this small semiauto pistol?

A friend who has no net access recently got one, but nothing came with
the gun. It functions well enough except for a tendency to misfeed,
possibly because the empty magazine slide lock doesn't always seem to
drop completely into place when a reloaded mag is reinserted into the
well.

Are there any sources of documentation for it? (Owner's Manual, parts
list, field stripping and cleaning instructions)

I can't figure out how to field strip the thing for him and thought RTFM
might just be a good idea. (if I can find one.)

I found the former manufacturer's web site, but little else and they no
longer make the pistol.

Thanks,
John

Please find out about rec.guns at http://doubletap.cs.umd.edu/rec.guns
*** Rec.guns supports MPFO's Millennial Rifle Raffle - donate today! ***

Vince Y., NRA Life, NC

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99

#
#A friend who has no net access recently got one, but nothing came with
#the gun. It functions well enough except for a tendency to misfeed,

LOL

#
#I can't figure out how to field strip the thing for him
#

If he shoots it enough, it will probably fall apart on it's own.

Sorry to be so cynical. Guns of that general type are usually more
trouble than they'e worth.

It is, however, a good gun to save for a "buy-back" program. Take
the money you get for it and buy something decent.

Gandalf

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
On 1 Oct 1999 22:43:14 -0400, in rec.guns you wrote:

Unfortunately, Sterling arm went out of business years ago. The Sterling 400
Mark II was considered to be a decent gun in it's day, made as a lower cost
competition to more expensive 380 ACP guns such as the Walther PPK/S. If I
remember correctly, it was all stainless steel, and DA/SA design. It was a
considerable jump up from the cheap Saturday night specials of the time. It
sounds as though the gun has a weak spring that lowers the slide stop. I can't
remember enough of how the gun looks to make any recommendation on how to fix
it. One thing that might help would be if you tried a different magazine; it's
possible the one in the gun is causing the slide stop to stay engaged, when it
shouldn't. Finding a magazine is going to be difficult, unfortunately. If there
are large gun shows in your area, that's the place to look. You could also get a
copy of The Gun List and/or Shotgun News, and call some of the big companies,
like Tom Forrest, that stock many magazines. They might have some in stock, but
not listed in their ads. Hmmm.... OK, I decided to do a little research. In an
older Shotgun News, I found an ad for Forrest, Inc. (used to be Tom Forrest)
that shows the Sterling 400 380 ACP magazine in stock. Their telephone number
is: 619 561-5800 Good luck

Grsjax

Oct 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/3/99
#Does anyone know anything about this small semiauto pistol?
#
#

It is basically a knockoff of a Colt Pony. A pretty good gun for the price.
Lots of snobs will tell you it is a piece of s**t but don't belive it.
Sterling made some very good guns.

John Husvar

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
Thanks for your replies.

Apparently this little pistol has its supporters and detractors like any
other.

One fellow recommended I wait until it falls apart on its own with
regard to field stripping and cleaning it. :)

Welllllll--until it does-- I'm still looking for information about the
gun. I'll call Forrest later today and see if he can help.

Thanks again for the responses.

John

fri...@my-deja.com

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
In article <7t3rg2$pno$1...@xring.cs.umd.edu>,
John Husvar <jhu...@apk.net> wrote:

# I can't figure out how to field strip the thing for him and thought

I've got a mod 402 MKII in my hand here, I don't know if it takes-down
like a MKI or not (never having seen one), but here goes...

After clearing the weapon, hold in your left hand, looking at the
ejection port there should be a slotted screw on the *frame* below the
bottom right corner of the port, take a screwdriver and push in and turn
clockwise 90*. Retract the slide all the way to the rear and lift the
back of the slide up slightly and then forward off of the frame. Reverse
to reassemble.

Hope this helps

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wesson Smith

Oct 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/19/99
Gun Parts at www.gunpartscorp.com Catalog #21 p.727 shows parts list and
blow-up of same. This gun was not known for reliable functioning.

baiz...@gmail.com

Dec 1, 2019, 5:21:56 AM12/1/19
I have a Sterling model 400 and want to get different grips. Does anyone know if there
are other make or model firearms which would use the same grips?