9mm norinco tokarev

matthew kirkpatrick

Dec 28, 2000, 11:02:20 PM12/28/00
I just bought a 9x19 Norinco Tokarev and I have been doing some research on
it. I am interested in learning how old it is as well as any other
pertinant information regarding older Tokarev's. It has the safety catch
as well as the plastic wrap around grip's with the thumb rest, which as i
understand means that it was one of the imports. On the slide it has Model
213 9x19 mm KSI PAS CA made in china then the serial numbers. I've looked
through some books as well as the internet but i couldn't find anything
about the different models that the chinese made that could shed any light
on how old it was. Any insight would be helpful.

matthew kirkpatrick

You can learn about rec.guns at http://doubletap.cs.umd.edu/rec.guns

Clark Magnuson

Dec 29, 2000, 5:28:56 PM12/29/00
I have the 1884 book "A Collector's Guide to Tokarev Pistols" by John
Remling.
The Chinese section mostly ends at type "54" from 1954 to 1963.
I think the flood of Norinco pistols in Shotgun News 5 years ago didn't
make it into the book.

I have noticed that if one removes a pin, that a spacer will fall out of
the 213. A regular Tokarev magazine will then fit. The ejection port is
still small for 7.62x25mm. Nothing a Dremel tool couldn't fix ...

PC

Dec 30, 2000, 10:16:22 AM12/30/00
Your Tokarev is a purely commercial piece imported by Keng's in CA. The
safety you mention was never on the original TT or Type 51/ 54 pistol. The
safety, 9mm caliber, and wrap around grips were to enhance the pistol's
marketability in the USA. Your pistol was most likely imported during the
80s and was made by Norinco (North China Industries, the export arm of the
PRC State Arsenal system).

J. Freeman

Dec 31, 2000, 11:14:26 AM12/31/00
The Norinco model 213 9mm pistol was imported by several companies. I have 2
of them one was imported by Sportarms Miami,FL and the other by B-west
Tucson,AZ
The 213 uses a spacer in the magazine well held in by a pin and a special
magazine referred to a the "narrow" type 9mm mag. The narrow type mags came
in 2 configurations one with a plastic finger rest floor plate and one with
just a plain metal floor plate.
This is in contrast to the Norinco Tokarev type 54 and Norinco model TU-90
9mm pistols imported that used a spacer in the rear of the standard
7.62x25mm magazine and a smaller follower so it would feed 9mm ammo. This
type mag is referred to as the "wide" type 9mm mag. The only difference
between the 54/ TU-90 was the importer/model # stampings on the slide and
the wrap around grips of the TU-90.
All the model 213,type 54,and TU-90 9mm parts are interchangeable except the
mags.
Navy Arms imported some 7.62x25mm TU-90's in boxed kits that had a extra
recoil spring and 38 Super barrel. There was also a 7.62x25mm and 9mm
barrel/mags TU-90 combo kits also.
Sportarms also imported the model 213-A which was a model 213 pistol with a
new grip frame that used 14 shot double stack 9mm mags.

Clark Magnuson

Jan 4, 2001, 5:56:00 PM1/4/01
Do you collect Tokarevs?
I got 6 of them of various flavors, as a result of being interested in CZ52s.
I now believe that Tokarevs are a safer action than CZ52s.
The only weakness I have found in Tokarevs [ignoring the safety ] is the
trigger bar shaking loose.
Clark

David St. Hubbins

Jan 4, 2001, 10:11:22 PM1/4/01

is it just me or does a tokarev look like someone designed it by having a
picture of a 1911

its funny how they use that little clip to hold the slide stop in

as for being better than cz52 maybe in 9mm but not the hot 7.62x25

i've seen 4 types of tokarevs

norinco 213 9mm with metal block in grip to use skinny mags (currently own)
norinco 9mm with metal block inside of magazine
chinese with fat grip i think it holds 14 rounds
tt-33 russia 7.62x25 (best looking) had different slide serations like a
ginsu knife

J. Freeman

Jan 5, 2001, 10:52:12 PM1/5/01
There were 4 types of Norinco 9mm Tokarev pistols imported.
Type 54 it had a spacer in the standard 7.62x25mm mag to feed 9mm. The mags
for it are called the "wide" type.
Model 213 it had a spacer in the mag well and used the "narrow" type mags
that were made only for this model.
Model 213A it has wide frame that uses a 14 shot mags.
TU-90 which was imported by Navy Arms and is the as the Type 54 except for
the markings and it's plastic one piece wrap around grip.
There were also 2 other models of Norinco 9mm pistols imported that were
not Tokarev or based on the Tokarev. The model 77-B that you pull the
front of the trigger guard to move the slide back and chamber a round. The
88-SP that is a double action Browning Hi-Power copy.

Richard Davis

Jan 6, 2001, 10:18:14 AM1/6/01
Another Norinco-Tokarev variant:

There were Type 54-1's also that were dual-caliber guns. They were standard
Type 54's in 7.62mmx25, and came with a matching (factory numbered to match
the serial number) 9mm replacement barrel. The slide was marked 54-1 on the
side. Early ones came with a separate 9mm-only magazine that had an internal
stand off block to compensate for 9mm's shorter overall length. The later
54-1's were shipped with 7.62mmx25 magazines only after experience bore out
that the 7.62mmx25 magazines would feed 9mm reliably with a minor ejector
modification.

I had about 4-6 of the 54-1's come through my shop about 10 years ago, and
all but one worked well. One stubbornly refused to fire ammunition about 80%
of the time. I compared the firing pin to a W.W.II Soviet-made TT-33 and
found the problem immediately - the Chinese had shortened the firing pins in
an effort to make them 'safer'. Installing firing pins of the correct length
fixed this and made them very reliable. They all had rough machining inside,
though.

After a little experimenting, I found that all the TT-33 or Type 54's I ran
across would easily switch over to 9mm with a simple barrel change. Navy
Arms had the barrels up until a few years ago, they might still have them.

J. Freeman wrote in message <9364pc$oqp$1...@xring.cs.umd.edu>...
#There were 4 types of Norinco 9mm Tokarev pistols imported.
#Type 54 ...>for it are called the "wide" type.
#Model 213 ...>Model 213A it has wide frame that uses a 14 shot mags.
#TU-90 ...
#There were also 2 other models of Norinco 9mm pistols ...

chicago...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2019, 4:08:09 PM1/19/19
Where can I get 2 magazine for this 9mm... can email me at chicago...@gmail.com. thanks