Cheapest most reliable .45 compact pistol?

RCJesse

Aug 14, 2008, 11:22:31 PM8/14/08
I am looking for a subcompact or compact (not sure of the difference) .45
ACP mainly for conceal carry. I own a full size 1911 but I would like that
to stay at home or for the range.
I've heard of the Taurus P125 and the 24/7, but also heard about its long
trigger pull. preferably with double action/deckoking feature. I've also
heard good things about Bersas, any suggestions from those who own a pistol
with these features Im looking for would be greatly appreciate it.

Jesse

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
Win a Fulton Armory AR-15 "Game Gun" while supporting RKBA.
Details at http://www.myguns.net

Louis Boyd

Aug 15, 2008, 8:49:27 AM8/15/08
RCJesse wrote:
# I am looking for a subcompact or compact (not sure of the difference) .45
# ACP mainly for conceal carry. I own a full size 1911 but I would like that
# to stay at home or for the range.
# I've heard of the Taurus P125 and the 24/7, but also heard about its long
# trigger pull. preferably with double action/deckoking feature. I've also
# heard good things about Bersas, any suggestions from those who own a pistol
# with these features Im looking for would be greatly appreciate it.
#
Take a look at the AMT .45 Backup. It's not light but it's small and
reliable. Trigger pull is awful but who cares at 10 feet or less.

For a lightweight, small, and accurate 1911 with a good trigger there's
the Colt alloy Officers model, but it's not cheap.

sta...@prolynx.com

Aug 15, 2008, 8:49:26 AM8/15/08
On Aug 14, 9:22 pm, "RCJesse" <rcjess...@grandecom.net> wrote:
# I am looking for a subcompact or compact (not sure of the difference) .45
# ACP mainly for conceal carry. I own a full size 1911 but I would like that
# to stay at home or for the range.
# I've heard of the Taurus P125 and the 24/7, but also heard about its long
# trigger pull. preferably with double action/deckoking feature. I've also
# heard good things about Bersas, any suggestions from those who own a pistol
# with these features Im looking for would be greatly appreciate it.
#
# Jesse
#
Least expensive is probably one of the Glocks. Mini-1911s tend to be
several hundred more. Have a look at the model 30, they currently run
around $450 at the shows here. Then there's the GAPs, which tend to
be a little smaller, ammo can be harder to find. If this is going to
be a carry piece, you aren't going to be running cases of ammo through
it, may not be that big a consideration. If you go to .40, you can
get a carry piece not much larger than an older .380.

Stan

Elka BONG

Aug 15, 2008, 8:49:38 AM8/15/08
I am looking for a subcompact or compact (not sure of the difference) .45
# ACP mainly for conceal carry. I own a full size 1911 but I would like that
# to stay at home or for the range.
# I've heard of the Taurus P125 and the 24/7, but also heard about its long
# trigger pull. preferably with double action/deckoking feature. I've also
# heard good things about Bersas, any suggestions from those who own a
# pistol
# with these features Im looking for would be greatly appreciate it.

#From my own personal perspective, I've had such awful luck with Taurus
automatics that I'll never buy another. All 4 have made trips back to the
factory.
You don't say whether you're looking for a compact 1911 or not. Springfield
makes several models with 4" and shorter barrels under $500. I've heard good
things about some of the Phillipine .45's sold under several names in the
US. They're basic 1911's of various lengths in the under $400 range. The
Springfield xd produced in Eastern Europe is wildly popular with a very high
capacity. I'm not so sure I'd want a plastic .45 but it does save weight. 13
round mags of .45acp are awful heavy in their own right. Witness/Tanfogilo
are very nice autos. They make a compact .45 under $400. Their handguns
aren't widely known in the US but the quality is excellent and value for
money very high.
All just my 2 cents.

Elka BONG

chasw

Aug 15, 2008, 6:21:38 PM8/15/08
Jesse: If I were in your shoes, I'd look for an M1911 configured in the
"Officers ACP" style with an alloy frame. That style is a shortened grip,
holding only 6 rounds, and a 4-1/4 "Commander" length barrel. The short
gripframe gives you the concealability when carried IWB behind your strong
side hip. Meanwhile, the mid length barrel gives you near full power plus
reliability. Since the barrel sticks downward inside your waistband, it
doesn't compromise concealment. The M1911 design needs a certain amount of
length for the recoil spring to work properly. 4-1/4" is still reliable,
but the shorter 3 and 3-1/2 inch barrels of the very smallest M1911s have
reliability problems, or so its reported. Of course, you can go to a double
action or trigger cocking design like the mini Glock, but then you give up
the advantage of the single action trigger with its ultra fast reset. Check
the many M1911 makers, including the smaller ones, to find a quality pistol
that is light, small, reliable and accurate. Good luck - CW
__________________________

"RCJesse" <rcje...@grandecom.net> wrote in message

RB

Aug 15, 2008, 6:21:42 PM8/15/08
RCJesse wrote:
# I am looking for a subcompact or compact (not sure of the difference) .45
# ACP mainly for conceal carry. I own a full size 1911 but I would like that
# to stay at home or for the range.
# I've heard of the Taurus P125 and the 24/7, but also heard about its long
# trigger pull. preferably with double action/deckoking feature. I've also
# heard good things about Bersas, any suggestions from those who own a pistol
# with these features Im looking for would be greatly appreciate it.

A compact .45 ACP DA is not very common.
I'd say the best choice is probably the Springfield XD

But if you can settle for an SA 1911, Cabelas had a High Standard and a
Springfield 3" 1911 for mid-$439 and $539, respectively. You can
probably beat that.

Zombywoof

Aug 15, 2008, 6:21:47 PM8/15/08
On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 03:22:31 +0000 (UTC), "RCJesse"
<rcje...@grandecom.net> wrote:

#I am looking for a subcompact or compact (not sure of the difference) .45
#ACP mainly for conceal carry. I own a full size 1911 but I would like that
#to stay at home or for the range.
#I've heard of the Taurus P125 and the 24/7, but also heard about its long
#trigger pull. preferably with double action/deckoking feature. I've also
#heard good things about Bersas, any suggestions from those who own a pistol
#with these features Im looking for would be greatly appreciate it.
#
#Jesse
#
Stick with the 1911 features set you already own & know in a smaller
Officer or Commander configuration.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=106917955 for $425
ain't a bad deal compared to a 24/7.
Moderation is for monks."

Tiger

Aug 15, 2008, 6:21:48 PM8/15/08
RCJesse wrote:
# I am looking for a subcompact or compact (not sure of the difference) .45
# ACP mainly for conceal carry. I own a full size 1911 but I would like that
# to stay at home or for the range.
# I've heard of the Taurus P125 and the 24/7, but also heard about its long
# trigger pull. preferably with double action/deckoking feature. I've also
# heard good things about Bersas, any suggestions from those who own a pistol
# with these features Im looking for would be greatly appreciate it.
#
# Jesse
#
#
Try Kahr Arms. Their pistols seem to Fit you needs. http://www.kahr.com

Clark Magnuson

Aug 15, 2008, 6:21:46 PM8/15/08
I bought a 19 ounce Republic arms Patriot 45 acp pistol and worked up to
460 Rowland loads and beyond in May of 2000.

That pistol was designed by Nehemia Sirkis.

That design is now made by Cobra Arms.
http://66.165.102.6/cobra/index.html

I don't think you will find a smaller, lighter, or cheaper 45acp.

Some reviews:
http://www.mouseguns.com/ratguns/ratguns.htm

They look like they are going for $340 now.
I paid $180 to AIM in 2000.

Shotgun

Aug 15, 2008, 6:21:50 PM8/15/08
In article <g82spn$43n$1...@grapevine.wam.umd.edu>, rcje...@grandecom.net
says...
#
#I am looking for a subcompact or compact (not sure of the difference) .45
#ACP mainly for conceal carry. I own a full size 1911 but I would like that
#to stay at home or for the range.
#I've heard of the Taurus P125 and the 24/7, but also heard about its long
#trigger pull. preferably with double action/deckoking feature. I've also
#heard good things about Bersas, any suggestions from those who own a pistol
#with these features Im looking for would be greatly appreciate it.
#
#Jesse
#
#

I bought a Llama micro .45 ACP years ago and set it aside because after 4 or 5
rounds it wouldn't load into the chamber. Gunsmith tried polishing, etc but
nothing worked. Maybe a year ago I replaced the magazine with an after market
version. The spring was much stiffer than the original and now it shoots
reliably and has never failed. It has the 19a11 feachers of single action and
grip safety.It also has a 10 round stack magazine and I now use it as my carry
weapon after an experience of facing a nut job who tried to rob me in the
Wal-Mart parking while I was only carrying a 9mm. He broke and ran when he saw
the firearm but in that situation you need any advantage you can get.
I remember hearing a recording made of an old time Texas ranger recorded by
the WPA. He was asked what kind of handgun he carried and answered, a Colt
.45. Asked why he carried a .45 he answered because they didn't make a .46.

Trapper

Diogenes

Aug 16, 2008, 6:43:23 AM8/16/08
<rcje...@grandecom.net> wrote:

#I am looking for a subcompact or compact (not sure of the difference) .45
#ACP mainly for conceal carry. I own a full size 1911 but I would like that
#to stay at home or for the range.
#I've heard of the Taurus P125 and the 24/7, but also heard about its long
#trigger pull. preferably with double action/deckoking feature. I've also
#heard good things about Bersas, any suggestions from those who own a pistol
#with these features Im looking for would be greatly appreciate it.

If you look around you might get lucky and find a good used Star PD.
I've carried mine on a daily basis for over twenty-five years in
preference to any other gun I own (and that covers more than a few).
It is a single-action .45 like the 1911 with an alloy frame and is
somewhat smaller than a Colt Commander. I've found it to be
comfortable to shoot, very accurate, and stone reliable with any ammo
I can get into the magazine. Dunno how many rounds I've run through
it, but the count is definitely in the thousands.

I picked up a second PD brand new at a gunshow for $300 about ten
years ago for when my primary one wears out. The new one is still in
the box and my Ole Reliable is still banging away.
----
Diogenes (cdh...@hotmail.com)

The wars are long, the peace is frail
The madmen come again . . . .

nick hull

Aug 16, 2008, 6:43:40 AM8/16/08
In article <g84vhi$2md$1...@grapevine.wam.umd.edu>,
"chasw" <cha...@comcast.net> wrote:

# Jesse: If I were in your shoes, I'd look for an M1911 configured in the
# "Officers ACP" style with an alloy frame. That style is a shortened grip,
# holding only 6 rounds, and a 4-1/4 "Commander" length barrel.

I've carried a regular LW Commander and it conceals well under a shirt
and the light weight carried well. It was cheap when I bought it 40
years ago ;)

Joseph Iacobucci

Aug 16, 2008, 4:43:41 PM8/16/08
Does anyone know the "height" of the Officers Model in inches?
Everyone seems to list the barrel length or overall length.

I haven't been able to locate the height online, just that it holds six
rounds instead of 7. I find the length of a full-sized 1911 is not the
problem, its the height of the grip.

--
Joseph Iacobucci
Email: gtg...@mail.gatecch.edu

Louis Boyd

Aug 17, 2008, 9:02:36 AM8/17/08
Joseph Iacobucci wrote:
# Does anyone know the "height" of the Officers Model in inches?
# Everyone seems to list the barrel length or overall length.
#
# I haven't been able to locate the height online, just that it holds six
# rounds instead of 7. I find the length of a full-sized 1911 is not the
# problem, its the height of the grip.
#

The distance from the lowest point on the installed factory magazine
perpendicular to the top of the slide on my alloy 45ACP Colt OM is
4.86". That doesn't include the rear sight.

S. R. Sheffield

Aug 17, 2008, 9:02:46 AM8/17/08
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 10:43:23 +0000 (UTC), Diogenes
<cdh...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Kimber compact ultra elite

or

kimber CDP

JDH

Aug 17, 2008, 9:02:48 AM8/17/08
Joseph Iacobucci wrote:
# Does anyone know the "height" of the Officers Model in inches?
# Everyone seems to list the barrel length or overall length.
#
# I haven't been able to locate the height online, just that it holds six
# rounds instead of 7. I find the length of a full-sized 1911 is not the
# problem, its the height of the grip.
#
Kimber Ultra Carry measures 5" from the top of the slide to the bottom
of the frame.

JDH

Aug 17, 2008, 9:02:47 AM8/17/08
RCJesse wrote:
# I am looking for a subcompact or compact (not sure of the difference) .45
# ACP mainly for conceal carry. I own a full size 1911 but I would like that
# to stay at home or for the range.
# I've heard of the Taurus P125 and the 24/7, but also heard about its long
# trigger pull. preferably with double action/deckoking feature. I've also
# heard good things about Bersas, any suggestions from those who own a pistol
# with these features Im looking for would be greatly appreciate it.
#
# Jesse
#
#
#
Rock Island Armory Compact 1911

http://www.impactguns.com/store/4806015514169.html

MR

Aug 17, 2008, 8:50:48 PM8/17/08
On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 18:21:46 -0400, Clark Magnuson
<c.mag...@comcast.net> wrote:

# I bought a 19 ounce Republic arms Patriot 45 acp pistol and worked up to
# 460 Rowland loads and beyond in May of 2000.
#
# That pistol was designed by Nehemia Sirkis.
#
# That design is now made by Cobra Arms.
# http://66.165.102.6/cobra/index.html
#
#
# I don't think you will find a smaller, lighter, or cheaper 45acp.
#
# Some reviews:
# http://www.mouseguns.com/ratguns/ratguns.htm
#
# They look like they are going for $340 now.
# I paid $180 to AIM in 2000.

I'll second that. Bought one when they were Republic-Patriot and still
carry it.
Great gun and has never missed a beat. I remember when you were working
up those loads. You must have had a sore hand after lighting off a few of
those hot ones.
MR

Sheldon

Aug 18, 2008, 6:32:55 AM8/18/08

"RCJesse" <rcje...@grandecom.net> wrote in message
#I am looking for a subcompact or compact (not sure of the difference) .45
# ACP mainly for conceal carry. I own a full size 1911 but I would like that
# to stay at home or for the range.
# I've heard of the Taurus P125 and the 24/7, but also heard about its long
# trigger pull. preferably with double action/deckoking feature. I've also
# heard good things about Bersas, any suggestions from those who own a
# pistol

# with these features Im looking for would be greatly appreciate it.
#
# Jesse
#
#
Whatever you get don't rule out a double action only gun. Generally you
want a concealed carry piece to be cocked and locked, and double action
gives you that extra margin of safety. A little time at the range and you
get used to it.