Olympic biathlon rifles

dickr2

Feb 14, 2010, 4:21:42 PM2/14/10
I'm pleased to see TV coverage of the biathlon, but I'm
curious about these rifles. Obviously custom made for
individual shooters, but all the rifles seem to have
the same action where a new cartridge is reloaded
with a stroke of the trigger finger.

I did a Google search but couldn't find any good
information.

Anyone know more about these rifles, action, caliber?

Just curious,
Dick

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
Win an M1 Garand from Fulton Armory while helping the Cause!
Details of the MPFO rifle raffle are at http://myguns.org/

dj_nme

Feb 14, 2010, 7:33:36 PM2/14/10
#
# I did a Google search but couldn't find any good
# information.
#
# Anyone know more about these rifles, action, caliber?
#
# Just curious,
# Dick

From your description, the rifles would have to be semi-automatic (one
shot per trigger pull).
According to Wikipedia, the rifles used in the Biatholon event are bolt
action: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biathlon#Shooting_details>
Maybe what you're seeing is a straight-pull bolt action in .22LR which
has a spring-return on the bolt: it might seem like a semi-auto but what
you're really seeing is trigger being squeezed and the bolt handle
flicked back in a very well practiced manoeuvre.
Here's a close-up of such an action from an NZ shooting blog:
<http://www.smallbore.co.nz/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/1489/filename/F27C.JPG>

Gerald "Brick" Brickwood

Feb 14, 2010, 7:33:34 PM2/14/10

"dickr2" <dic...@frontier.com> wrote in message

They are a caliber .22 LR straight pull bolt action. European American
Armory (EAA) Corp. used to import Izhmash rifles, pistols and shotguns.
Among them were several versions of the Biathlon rifle including a basic
"beginners model" that would make an interesting piece for general field
work.

I suggest you modify your search to "Izhmash Biathlon Rifles" or "Anschutz
Biathlon Rifles". I'd bet dollars to donuts you find some useful
information.

dickr2

Feb 14, 2010, 7:33:37 PM2/14/10
Gregg Schoenberger wrote:
# http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.php5?menu=99&sprache=1
#
# --
Thanks Gregg!

Doug White

Feb 14, 2010, 7:33:43 PM2/14/10
dickr2 <dic...@frontier.com> wrote in news:hl9ph6$du3$1...@news.albasani.net:

# I'm pleased to see TV coverage of the biathlon, but I'm
# curious about these rifles. Obviously custom made for
# individual shooters, but all the rifles seem to have
# the same action where a new cartridge is reloaded
# with a stroke of the trigger finger.
#
# I did a Google search but couldn't find any good
# information.
#
# Anyone know more about these rifles, action, caliber?

Anschutz makes them, and I think there are some Russian ones around as
well. They use a straight pull bolt action, in .22 long rifle.

Doug White

Alex Cunningham

Feb 14, 2010, 7:33:45 PM2/14/10

#"dickr2" <dic...@frontier.com> wrote:
# I'm pleased to see TV coverage of the biathlon, but I'm
# curious about these rifles. Obviously custom made for
# individual shooters, but all the rifles seem to have
# the same action where a new cartridge is reloaded
# with a stroke of the trigger finger.
#
# I did a Google search but couldn't find any good
# information.
#

# Anyone know more about these rifles, action, caliber?
#
# Just curious,
# Dick
#

They are bolt action and .22 calibre.

--
Cheers!
Alex.C

Frank

Feb 14, 2010, 7:33:42 PM2/14/10
On 2/14/2010 4:21 PM, dickr2 wrote:
# I'm pleased to see TV coverage of the biathlon, but I'm
# curious about these rifles. Obviously custom made for
# individual shooters, but all the rifles seem to have
# the same action where a new cartridge is reloaded
# with a stroke of the trigger finger.
#
# I did a Google search but couldn't find any good
# information.
#
# Anyone know more about these rifles, action, caliber?
#
# Just curious,
# Dick
#
Don't know why you could not google it up. This is my first hit:

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/2/14/1310348/biathlon-rifle-winter-olympics-2010-vancouver

.22 bolt action would be easy to reload with one finger.

I, too, was pleased to see.
Frank

John Kepler

Feb 14, 2010, 11:00:47 PM2/14/10
On Feb 14, 4:21�pm, dickr2 <dic...@frontier.com> wrote:
# I'm pleased to see TV coverage of the biathlon, but I'm
# curious about these rifles. Obviously custom made for
# individual shooters, but all the rifles seem to have
# the same action where a new cartridge is reloaded
# with a stroke of the trigger finger.
#
# I did a Google search but couldn't find any good
# information.
#
# Anyone know more about these rifles, action, caliber?
#
# Just curious,
# Dick

It's either an Anschutz or Izmash Biathlon. They are your basic
competition smallbore bolt-guns with a straight-pull adapter.

John

Feb 14, 2010, 11:00:48 PM2/14/10
On Feb 14, 2:21�pm, dickr2 <dic...@frontier.com> wrote:

Let me google that for you...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=biathalon+rifle

Steve W.

Feb 15, 2010, 7:10:13 AM2/15/10
dickr2 wrote:
# I'm pleased to see TV coverage of the biathlon, but I'm
# curious about these rifles. Obviously custom made for
# individual shooters, but all the rifles seem to have
# the same action where a new cartridge is reloaded
# with a stroke of the trigger finger.
#
# I did a Google search but couldn't find any good
# information.
#
# Anyone know more about these rifles, action, caliber?
#
# Just curious,
# Dick
#

.22 caliber
Bolt action
For real use there are only two makers that even count.
Izhmash and Anschutz, The Izzy is a LOT cheaper and accuracy after a bit
of work is just as good. The only scary part is the price.

The bolt is rather unique. It is a toggle bolt similar to a Luger. Just
mounted sideways and manual activated. The bolt itself is straight line
with the toggle holding just enough pressure to keep it closed. You pull
the trigger which releases the bolt latch. Then use your finger to rock
the toggle open/closed.

--
Steve W.

John Kepler

Feb 15, 2010, 8:16:56 AM2/15/10
Obviously custom made for
# individual shooters,

Not really. The overwhelming bulk of them are Anschutz Mod. 1827's.
You can buy one if you'd like from places like Champion Shooter's
Supply in New Albany, Ohio.....and if you aren't familiar with
competition shooting, be prepared for some MAJOR sticker-shock! An
1827, or any competative ISSF Smallbore rifle costs as much as a good
used Buick

#
# Anyone know more about these rifles, action, caliber?

Most all International-Level Biathlon rifles regardless of
manufacturer use some permutation of a Fortner action, and are by
rule, Smallbore rifles (that's .22 RF for the uninformed). Once upon
a time, there was a "Big Bore" Biathlon, but it didn't survive WW II
where a lot of it was being done "for real". You can "get by" with a
variety of modified Smallbore Competition rifles, and Izhmash/Baikal
makes a decent "entry-level" rifle for around $1000 sans sights.

FWIW, historically, Biathlon is the most "drugged" sport in ANY
Olympic event. In the "old days", it was alcohol.....more recently,
fast-acting Beta-blockers to reduce the heart-rate at the shooting
stages.

bod43

Feb 16, 2010, 7:31:11 AM2/16/10
On 15 Feb, 13:16, John Kepler <jekep...@amplex.net> wrote:
# �Obviously custom made for
# # individual shooters,
#
# Not really. �The overwhelming bulk of them are Anschutz Mod. 1827's.
# You can buy one if you'd like from places like Champion Shooter's
# Supply in New Albany, Ohio.....and if you aren't familiar with
# competition shooting, be prepared for some MAJOR sticker-shock! �An
# 1827, or any competative ISSF Smallbore rifle costs as much as a good
# used Buick
#
# #

# # Anyone know more about these rifles, action, caliber?

Nice *slow* video of the Izhmash action - in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVjA63IxC80

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2008/06/24/they-start-em-young-in-norway/
http://www.rpgfirearms.com.au/IZHMASH%20.22.htm

TimR

Feb 16, 2010, 9:10:48 AM2/16/10
There is also an Izhmash "biathlon" pellet rifle. I think it's the
IZH-61.

It's obviously not competition quality, but years ago I saw it used on
late night cable (in some language I couldn't identify). They had
skiis with rollers and had an indoor course laid out through the TV
studio. They used some reduced size version of those biathlon falling
disk targets.

I bought one, they were about $100. It's spring powered, needs to be
cocked each shot with a side lever, but it's very low power and
cocking is easy. The magazine holds five pellets and advances
itself. The trigger is excellent, the sights horrible. Surprisingly
accurate at the 25 feet in my basement.

James

Feb 16, 2010, 8:57:16 PM2/16/10

ralleyrat

Feb 17, 2010, 6:25:27 AM2/17/10
On Feb 14, 4:21�pm, dickr2 <dic...@frontier.com> wrote:
# I'm pleased to see TV coverage of the biathlon, but I'm
# curious about these rifles. Obviously custom made for
# individual shooters, but all the rifles seem to have
# the same action where a new cartridge is reloaded
# with a stroke of the trigger finger.
#
# I did a Google search but couldn't find any good
# information.
#

# Anyone know more about these rifles, action, caliber?
#
# Just curious,
# Dick
#
Had a chance to examime one at the range once.
(Owned by a *B*A*B*E* you wouldn't believe! - Biathletes have to be
in top shape)
It's a straight pull bolt action, to save time I guess, (that clock
counts in hundreths of a second.)
Otherwise, it's a prone optimized, light weight target gun.

Sheldon

Feb 17, 2010, 6:25:47 AM2/17/10

"dickr2" <dic...@frontier.com> wrote in message
# I'm pleased to see TV coverage of the biathlon, but I'm
# curious about these rifles. Obviously custom made for
# individual shooters, but all the rifles seem to have
# the same action where a new cartridge is reloaded
# with a stroke of the trigger finger.
#
# I did a Google search but couldn't find any good
# information.
#
# Anyone know more about these rifles, action, caliber?
#
# Just curious,
# Dick
#
Quick answer:

The rifles are made by Anschutz. .22 cal with a very interesting bolt
action. The rifles use a 5 shot magazine and the cartridges are extracted
and loaded using a pull/push action on the bolt. Anyone can buy the rifles,
just do a search for dealers. Anschutz also makes more conventional target
rifles that are extremely accurate right out of the box. I saw one at the
range the other day and the shooter was hitting dime size groups at about
100 yards. BTW, Anschutz has about 95% of the olympic market, so they
garner a lot of medals.

Peter Konrad

Feb 17, 2010, 4:29:59 PM2/17/10
On 15 Feb., 14:16, John Kepler <jekep...@amplex.net> wrote:

# (that's .22 RF for the uninformed).

Yuh what now?

Do you mean .22 *W*RF?

Bob Holtzman

Feb 17, 2010, 8:50:42 PM2/17/10
On 2010-02-17, Peter Konrad <PK...@gmx.net> wrote:

# On 15 Feb., 14:16, John Kepler <jekep...@amplex.net> wrote:
#
# # (that's .22 RF for the uninformed).
#
# Yuh what now?
#
# Do you mean .22 *W*RF?

No he doesn't!

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

Bob Holtzman

Feb 17, 2010, 8:50:44 PM2/17/10
On 2010-02-17, Sheldon <she...@sopris.net> wrote:
# I saw one at the
# range the other day and the shooter was hitting dime size groups at about
# 100 yards.

Off the bench or prone w/ tight sling?

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

Martin H. Eastburn

Feb 18, 2010, 7:18:34 AM2/18/10
My bull barrel match rifle I got and used as a Jr. NRA shooter
on a team sponsored by the USA Army and USA Border Patrol.
Anschutz Jr. match. Sr. match was a big eye sight to see.

I still have it and shoot it - still on the dime if in a holder.
I don't have steady hands or body anymore for quality target.
Martin

sta...@prolynx.com

Feb 18, 2010, 7:18:47 AM2/18/10
On Feb 15, 6:16�am, John Kepler <jekep...@amplex.net> wrote:
# �Obviously custom made for
# # individual shooters,
#
# Not really. �The overwhelming bulk of them are Anschutz Mod. 1827's.
# You can buy one if you'd like from places like Champion Shooter's
# Supply in New Albany, Ohio.....and if you aren't familiar with
# competition shooting, be prepared for some MAJOR sticker-shock! �An
# 1827, or any competative ISSF Smallbore rifle costs as much as a good
# used Buick
#
#>snippage

Just wait until you get into the ammo it takes to be competitive. Top-
grade Eley stuff ain't cheap, either! I knew a guy who loved small-
bore but got into high-power because it was cheaper. At least he
could reload the brass. When I was doing bullseye, the top Eley stuff
was $100 a brick, not a case, a brick, and that's been quite a few
years back. Promo .22s were about $6-7/brick at the time.

Stan

Bert Hyman

Feb 18, 2010, 4:44:30 PM2/18/10
In news:hl9ph6$du3$1...@news.albasani.net dickr2 <dic...@frontier.com> wrote:

# I'm pleased to see TV coverage of the biathlon,

In case you missed the earlier events, there's (apparently) complete
coverage of the events at

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/live-full-replays.html

Click the "Full Event Replays" tab for past events.

Leave the selector on "All Sports"; if you select "Biathlon", it will say
there are no videos available.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN be...@iphouse.com

Tony W

Feb 19, 2010, 7:31:19 AM2/19/10
sta...@prolynx.com wrote:

#> Just wait until you get into the ammo it takes to be competitive. Top-
#> grade Eley stuff ain't cheap, either!

I'm surprised the .17 Mach II didn't catch on for Biathlon competition.
The .22RF is an ancient design and it's amazing they can get that kind
of accuracy out of it.

Tony

Peter Konrad

Feb 19, 2010, 12:33:04 PM2/19/10
On 19 Feb., 13:31, Tony W <technoj...@yahoo.com> wrote:
# sta...@prolynx.com wrote:
#
# #> Just wait until you get into the ammo it takes to be competitive. �Top-
# #> grade Eley stuff �ain't cheap, either!
#
# I'm surprised the .17 Mach II didn't catch on for Biathlon competition.
# � The .22RF is an ancient design and it's amazing they can get that kind
# of accuracy out of it.

Is it really that much about accuracy? They shoot at a distance of 50
meters, targets are 4.5 and 11.5 centimeters in diameter (prone/
standing). It doesn't matter where they hit them as long as they do
hit them. Without the skiing part that wouldn't appear very difficult.

I thought the real trick was to be sufficiently fit, so your heart
rate drops quickly enough at the range while skiing decent times in
between shooting stages.

Bert Hyman

Feb 19, 2010, 12:33:09 PM2/19/10
In news:hlm0an$rsk$1...@news.albasani.net Tony W <techn...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

# sta...@prolynx.com wrote:
#
# #> Just wait until you get into the ammo it takes to be competitive.
# Top- #> grade Eley stuff ain't cheap, either!
#
# I'm surprised the .17 Mach II didn't catch on for Biathlon
# competition.

The international rules don't allow it, and established sports organizations
are really reluctant to change.

http://www.biathlonworld3.de/media/download/Handbook_annex_to_e_and_c_rules.pdf

Ammo is specified as .22LR, solid lead or similar "soft" material,
muzzle velocity 380 m/s or less.

# The .22RF is an ancient design and it's amazing they can get that
# kind of accuracy out of it.

I think it's because it's been around for so long and has been used for
so many purposes by so many people. I know that I've gone through my
fair share of the stuff :-)

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN be...@iphouse.com

Mopar Doctor

Feb 19, 2010, 12:33:10 PM2/19/10
I found Eley Tenex for $180 a 500 shot brick on the net.

John Kepler

Feb 19, 2010, 6:03:58 PM2/19/10
# I'm surprised the .17 Mach II didn't catch on for Biathlon competition.
# � The .22RF is an ancient design and it's amazing they can get that kind
# of accuracy out of it.

Don't know much about Smallbore shooting, now do'ya? Competition
Smallbore targets use a seperate aiming black for each shot, WITH a
back-target! Otherwise, you can't score'um! In Indoor, the "X" is a
single dot on the target, and the match winner is ALWAYS determined by
"X" count! There isn't much that is more accurate than a .22!

Dude....you may need to get out a little more often!

John

Walter Martindale

Feb 20, 2010, 7:23:40 AM2/20/10
On Feb 20, 12:03�pm, John Kepler <jekep...@amplex.net> wrote:

AND that's shooting off elbows with a sling and aperture sights. Not
a bench rest to be seen.
Walter

Wayne

Feb 20, 2010, 3:51:36 PM2/20/10

"Mopar Doctor" <mopar...@att.net> wrote in message
#I found Eley Tenex for $180 a 500 shot brick on the net.
#
A word of caution for those outside CA. Thanks to our dingbat legislature
and our dingbat governor, CA residents will not be able to buy ammo by mail
order, as of Feb 1, 2011. We will be paying full retail at local sporting
goods store, giving our fingerprints, paying for the associated legal paper
trail, and paying for the store to make special orders for
out-of-the-ordinary ammo purchases. <or maybe we will be making frequent
trips to Vegas or Reno >

Be vigilant, or the same insanity will come to your state.

Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley

Feb 20, 2010, 3:51:38 PM2/20/10
On Feb 14, 2:21�pm, dickr2 <dic...@frontier.com> wrote:
# Anyone know more about these rifles, action, caliber?

There is a company that specializes in biathlon rifles. The have both
new and used ones for sale, and they do gunsmithing on them. See

http://www.altiusguns.com

Bob Holtzman

Feb 21, 2010, 6:56:00 AM2/21/10
On 2010-02-19, John Kepler <jeke...@amplex.net> wrote:
# # I'm surprised the .17 Mach II didn't catch on for Biathlon competition.
# #   The .22RF is an ancient design and it's amazing they can get that kind
# # of accuracy out of it.
#
# Don't know much about Smallbore shooting, now do'ya? Competition
# Smallbore targets use a seperate aiming black for each shot, WITH a
# back-target! Otherwise, you can't score'um! In Indoor, the "X" is a
# single dot on the target, and the match winner is ALWAYS determined by
# "X" count! There isn't much that is more accurate than a .22!
#
# Dude....you may need to get out a little more often!

Small quibble here. A separate bull for each shot is only for indoor
(gallery) 50 ft shooting and ISSF (international) 50 meter shooting on
the few ranges equipped with the old style electric target boxes. NRA
outdoor shooting at 50 yds is on a target with 4 record bulls and 1
sighter bull, 5 shots for record to a bull and unlimited sighters. At 100
yds the target has 2 record bulls and one sighter bull, 10 shots for
record to a bull with unlimited sighters.

There are *lots* of cartridges *way* more accurate than the best match
grade .22 rf. With a good custom .22 rf rifle and a good lot of ammo
mated to the gun, a 100 yd group of .50 or less is a "wallet group".
Quite a few factory varmint rifles will do that well out of the box with
no tuning. Benchrest rifles, usually in 6mm PPC will be capable of
..100-.150 at 100 yds.

I speak from 52 years of smallbore prone and position competition and 6
or 7 years of centerfire benchrest competition.

One more thing. A backing target is only to check for cross fires. It
has nothing to do with scoring.

Dude....he's not the only one that needs to get out a little more :)

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley

Feb 21, 2010, 2:12:15 PM2/21/10
On Feb 21, 4:56�am, Bob Holtzman <hol...@cox.net> wrote:
# Small quibble here. A separate bull for each shot is only for indoor
# (gallery) 50 ft shooting and ISSF (international) 50 meter shooting on
# the few ranges equipped with the old style electric target boxes. NRA
# outdoor shooting at 50 yds is on a target with 4 record bulls and 1
# sighter bull, 5 shots for record to a bull and unlimited sighters. At 100
# yds the target has 2 record bulls and one sighter bull, 10 shots for
# record to a bull with unlimited sighters.

Here is a picture of the target assembly from the Olympic Biathlon. As
you can see, there are 5 distinct mechanized bulls.

http://www.thewhistlernews.com/sports/biathlon/2009-Whistler-eon-Ruhrgas-IBU-World-Cup-Biathlon/whistler-IBU-Biathlon-17.JPG

The Biathlon is not conducted under NRA *or* ISSF rules - it is
governed by the IBU. In 1948, the Union Internationale de Pentathlon
Moderne et Biathlon (UIPMB) was founded, to standardise the rules for
biathlon and modern pentathlon. In 1993, the biathlon branch of the
UIPMB created the International Biathlon Union (IBU), which officially
separated from the UIPMB in 1998.

TonyW

Feb 21, 2010, 7:08:09 PM2/21/10
On 2/21/2010 3:56 AM, Bob Holtzman wrote:

#> There are *lots* of cartridges *way* more accurate than the best match
#> grade .22 rf. With a good custom .22 rf rifle and a good lot of ammo
#> mated to the gun, a 100 yd group of .50 or less is a "wallet group".
#> Quite a few factory varmint rifles will do that well out of the box with
#> no tuning. Benchrest rifles, usually in 6mm PPC will be capable of
#> ..100-.150 at 100 yds.

I wasn't just talking about biathlon cometition but I did mention it. I
think the .22rf time should be passing for competition shooting. The
.22rf is 1850's technology and there are no other rounds that still use
that odd healed bullet system. That was the first thing to go on the
.22 WRM.

I thin it's time for current bench rest technology to be introduced into
Olympic competition. To really see who is the best shot, the variable
of the ammo needs to be reduced to a minimum... I'd like to see
something like a lengthened .32 auto necked down to .224. This could be
loaded to around the same velocity and brass could be relaoded for
practice rounds.

#> Dude....he's not the only one that needs to get out a little more :)

I usually ignore a*hole remarks like this... I find that arguing with
an idiot is a waste of time but a technical discussion even if it comes
to nothing is worth the effort.

Tony

Bob Holtzman

Feb 21, 2010, 7:08:07 PM2/21/10
On 2010-02-21, Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley <cowar...@yahoo.com> wrote:
#
# Here is a picture of the target assembly from the Olympic Biathlon. As
# you can see, there are 5 distinct mechanized bulls.
#
# http://www.thewhistlernews.com/sports/biathlon/2009-Whistler-eon-Ruhrgas
# -IBU-World-Cup-Biathlon/whistler-IBU-Biathlon-17.JPG
#
# The Biathlon is not conducted under NRA *or* ISSF rules - it is
# governed by the IBU. In 1948, the Union Internationale de Pentathlon
# Moderne et Biathlon (UIPMB) was founded, to standardise the rules for
# biathlon and modern pentathlon. In 1993, the biathlon branch of the
# UIPMB created the International Biathlon Union (IBU), which officially
# separated from the UIPMB in 1998.

I know the thread was about biathlon rifles but it sounded like he was
referring to s/b targets in general. Notice, he said smallbore
competition, not biathlon. Probably splitting hairs but all I know is
what I read.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

Doug White

Feb 22, 2010, 8:59:21 AM2/22/10

Good luck. We're lucky they still shoot cartridge firearms at all.
Because of range (distance) requirements, safety concerns & legal
restrictions in many countries, all Olympic centerfire competition in
pistol and rifle has already been killed over the years. The biathlon
_was_ fired with centerfire rifles for a time before they converted to
..22's.

There is a slow push to convert everything to air guns so folks in
countries with strict laws can compete. There are already biathlon air
rifles available. It's probably only a matter of time. As it is, the
British pistol team has to practice in Switzerland because they aren't
even allowed to have .22 semi-auto pistols.

Doug White

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
Win an M1 Garand from Fulton Armory while helping the Cause!

LAST CALL for your MPFO raffle tickets at http://myguns.org/

TimR

Feb 22, 2010, 11:06:59 AM2/22/10
On Feb 22, 8:59�am, Doug White <gwh...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
# Good luck. �We're lucky they still shoot cartridge firearms at all. �
# Because of range (distance) requirements, safety concerns & legal
# restrictions in many countries, all Olympic centerfire competition in
# pistol and rifle has already been killed over the years. �The biathlon
# _was_ fired with centerfire rifles for a time before they converted to
# ..22's. �
#

Seems like they used to do center fire running deer or running boar?

Sounds like fun, but you'd need some really big ranges.

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
Win an M1 Garand from Fulton Armory while helping the Cause!

Dillon Pyron

Feb 23, 2010, 7:43:41 AM2/23/10
Since these beta blockers (specifically propranolol) are "designed" to
reduce the BP and steady the pulse, they give you the two advantages
of a slow, smooth, gentle pulse. The negative is that you also can't
get your pulse up fast enough during aerobic activity. Lots of ERs
use these as acute treatment for extremely elevated BP. Like
systolics over about 190. Those guys are hard to x-ray because
they're usually also hyperventilated and sometimes a little "twitchy".
"Take in a deep breath, let it out. Another deep breath in and hold
it"

Mk VII

Feb 23, 2010, 9:04:44 AM2/23/10
I think they've now agreed to run it with laser simulator guns, so
even rimfire biathlon may be on the way out.

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
Win an M1 Garand from Fulton Armory while helping the Cause!

Sheldon

Walter Martindale

Feb 24, 2010, 6:44:07 AM2/24/10
On Feb 24, 1:43�am, Dillon Pyron <dmpy...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

Yes, but beta blockers are banned substances by the World Anti Doping
Agency...
A biathlete pees any residue from beta blockers and bingo, they're
out, lose their medal(s) and face a competition ban. I don't know if
it's a 2 or 4 year ban or a life ban from competition, but it's
definitely not part of an elite biathlete's regimen.
Walter

John Kepler

Feb 25, 2010, 12:24:02 PM2/25/10
# Yes, but beta blockers are banned substances by the World Anti Doping
# Agency...
# A biathlete pees any residue from beta blockers and bingo, they're
# out, lose their medal(s) and face a competition ban. �I don't know if
# it's a 2 or 4 year ban or a life ban from competition, but it's
# definitely not part of an elite biathlete's regimen.
# Walter
Yepper......NO ONE cheats in the Olympics....Uh-uh, nope, nada, never,
can't do it, never happens, no way, no how, oom-possible! Right? I
mean...it says you can't right on the label? I mean no competitor
country would/could POSSIBLY find a way to slip in a drug that WADA
can't detect...it just can't happen....right? Naw! Shucks! No one
would cheat in the Olympics! And there is NO steroid abuse in MLB or
the NFL, and the WWE is REAL!

"Better things for better living through chemistry!"...and I've got
some low-mileage bridges I'd like to sell you at a really good price!

Stuart Wheaton

Feb 26, 2010, 7:13:33 PM2/26/10
John Kepler wrote:
# # Yes, but beta blockers are banned substances by the World Anti Doping
# # Agency...
# # A biathlete pees any residue from beta blockers and bingo, they're
# # out, lose their medal(s) and face a competition ban. I don't know if
# # it's a 2 or 4 year ban or a life ban from competition, but it's
# # definitely not part of an elite biathlete's regimen.
# # Walter
# Yepper......NO ONE cheats in the Olympics....Uh-uh, nope, nada, never,
# can't do it, never happens, no way, no how, oom-possible! Right? I
# mean...it says you can't right on the label? I mean no competitor
# country would/could POSSIBLY find a way to slip in a drug that WADA
# can't detect...it just can't happen....right? Naw! Shucks! No one
# would cheat in the Olympics! And there is NO steroid abuse in MLB or
# the NFL, and the WWE is REAL!

Last I heard, there have been no doping positives this winter games.
There was one woman who had a residual amount of something that is
banned in competition but not in training, the quantity was deemed
residual, and she was given a warning...
I believe they do retain the specimens for a few years and do test them
again later as tests are developed for new drugs.
.

Steve W.

Feb 27, 2010, 6:54:22 AM2/27/10

So far it has been clean.
As for the WWE, well yes the actual "wrestling" is scripted and the
story is told. BUT you do have to be in good shape to be able to handle
the constant pounding and be able to sell the moves.

--
Steve W.

Wayne

Feb 27, 2010, 4:19:25 PM2/27/10

Tinkering with drugs for slowing heart rate can interfere with the
competition. For example, amiodarone is great for slowing down the heart
rate. However, it also limits the upper pulse rate. Thus, a shooter with
drug enhanced slow heart rate might not have the aerobic capability to be
competitive in the cross country part of the competition.