WTB: Classic Lee Loader in .300 Win Mag

CZ527

Oct 17, 2008, 8:33:02 AM10/17/08
Subject line says it all: Want complete unit.

email: jja...@koyote.com

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
Win a Fulton Armory AR-15 'game gun' and defend liberty at the
same time - Donate to MPFO today! Details at http://myguns.net

Al Patrick

Oct 18, 2008, 7:32:14 AM10/18/08
CZ527 wrote:
# Subject line says it all: Want complete unit.
#
# email: jja...@koyote.com

I'm don't believe they even make the Classic Lee Loader in 300 Win Mag.

Check out http://tinyurl.com/6f56qr (leeprecision.com) and you won't see it listed.

If you want to load 300 Win Mag and do it on the cheap you might go this route:

1: Lee Reloader Single Stage Press Kit (MidwayUSA.com # 480380 for $24.49 This includes
the latest Modern Reloading manual by Richard Lee AND a very simple single stage press.

2: Lee RGB 2-Die Set 300 Winchester Magnum $13.49. Midway # 420763

3: Lee Improved Powder Measure Kit $6.59 - 15 dippers (on sale). Midway # 943305.

There, For about $45 + s&h, you have not one die, but a 2-die set, dippers for many
different loads, instructions on basic reloading, load data for many many calibers and
loads within those calibers, and a press to use the dies in!

I don't think that die set includes a shell holder so you may want to pick up a Lee Case
Length Gage and Shellholder for $3.99. Midway #695045. This probably won't add anything
to the shipping costs and not only gives you a shellholder but also the case length gage
which is probably not in the classic kits anyway.

I'm not saying I'd go this route, but it's a much better "kit" than you'd have with the
classic lee loader, if they made one in the caliber you want.

You notice I did NOT suggest a scale, but the desired kit would not have one either and
with the dipper you'll be within limits on the weight if you use the right dipper with the
right powder. The Lee loading manual will tell you the useful cc capacity of the case,
the cc volume of the various powders - and which dipper (you'll have 15) to use to get
that volume.

An alternate route to take, and there are many :-) , would be to get the Lee Hand Prss Kit
for $29.99. Midway #624416. and then get the manual separately for $13.99. Midway
#484416. With this you won't need "reloading bench" to secure the press to. You can load
in your car, on a park bench (not recommended), or just about anywhere you like.

NO. I don't work for MidwayUSA. Cabela's would have prices very similar to all the
above, as would R&R Arms, Natchez Shooters Supply, MidSouth and several others.

Hope this helps. Enjoy reloading. FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS! :-) ...and you'll enjoy your
reloading hobby for a long time.

Al

jadel

Oct 18, 2008, 7:32:09 AM10/18/08
On Oct 17, 8:33 am, CZ527 <jjac...@koyote.com> wrote:
# Subject line says it all:  Want complete unit.

Did Lee ever make the Lee Loader in .300 Win. Mag.?

Midway doesn't list one.

Why not get in touch with Lee?

J. Del Col (who still uses his Lee Loader in .375 Win.)

jadel

Oct 18, 2008, 7:32:10 AM10/18/08
On Oct 17, 8:33 am, CZ527 <jjac...@koyote.com> wrote:
# Subject line says it all:  Want complete unit.
#

I just checked the Lee Precision site.

They do not currently make a Lee Loader in .300 Win Mag.

J. Del Col

penultimate

Oct 18, 2008, 6:55:02 PM10/18/08
On Oct 18, 6:32 am, jadel <delco...@ab.edu> wrote:

Call up Lee and ask. The give good and knowledgeable customer service
and certainly will know if they have ever produced a Lee Loader in 300
Rem Mag --- which would be cause to watch for one on e-bay,
gunbroker.com, and auctionarms.com. Also, Lee has always been willing
to do "specials" for a very small set-up charge.

Jim

Oct 24, 2008, 7:43:46 AM10/24/08
I can tell you from personal experience, loading the very similar 308
Norma Mag with a Lee Loader, you will have allot of problems getting
your cartridges to feed and the bolt will be difficult to close by the
third loading, even if you load mild powder loads.

FjLee

Oct 24, 2008, 5:50:30 PM10/24/08
# Subject line says it all:  Want complete unit.
#
# email: jjac...@koyote.com

Well, I don't know if Lee still sells the Classic in.300 Win any
longer, but they certainly did at one time.

I bought a new one prior to my Wyoming moose hunt. Loaded some hot
loads using IMR4350 and 200 grain Nosler partition. I used a bottle
capper press rather than a hammer!! These loads were fired in a
Winchester 70. Functioned fine, and was responsible for the harvest
of a really nice Wyoming bull moose.

That Lee Loader is sitting here on my desk. So they do exist.

Seems like I never get rid of any reloading stuff, so someone would
hafta have a _REALLY_ good story to talk me outta mine!!

Lee in Denver

penultimate

Oct 24, 2008, 5:50:28 PM10/24/08
On Oct 24, 6:43 am, Jim <zivendine...@yahoo.com> wrote:
A LEE Reloader in 308 Norma Magnum?

I can tell you from personal experience, loading the 7mm Rem Magnum
with a Lee Loader using 1/2 grain below published maximum loads
(H4831), that I have had ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS GETTING THE CARTRIDGE
TO FEED or with bolt closings through six (6) reloadings. I can not
speak beyond six because I have not reloaded a seventh time as yet.

Chambers vary and there certainly is a degree of tolerance in dies.
Perhaps this variance is greater in an inexpensive Lee Loader than it
might be in one of the much more expensive conventional die sets. So
factors like these may I suppose account for variable reports. Or
perhaps those that complain are less attentive to something like
length trimming.

But the Lee Reloader die is after all a neck sizer. So certainly the
cartridge becomes fire-formed to a specific chamber and there is an
expectation that rounds will be chambered and fired in the same
rifle. Under these conditions, case and chamber cleanliness become a
bigger factor as do dimensional changes in the chamber that may come
from being very hot versus cold. Here I should note that at the range
with a hunting rifle, I maintain a fire pacing discipline that avoids
heating a barrel. But a tight fit to the particular chamber is the
argument for neck sizing only dies, including those that are much more
expensive, I certainly see no reason why neck sizing in a Lee Loader
is in any significant way different than neck sizing die in a press.

Once again, the point of neck sizing is that your rifle's chamber
sizes the cartridge body when it is fired and you end up with rounds
exactly sized to your rifle. If you length trim and do not have a
rifle chambered with an excessively short neck, any particular
difficulty chambering the round logically arises only because of
"problems" with the chamber. In an "ordinary" rifle, I expect Jim to
discover that his feeding problems arise in a cold rifle with rounds
previously fired when the chamber was well warmed, or vice versa.

But ultimately the root of Jim's problem may be the 308 Norma Magnum.
As cartridges go, this is a rare bird. I can not find evidence that
LEE ever made a RELOADER in 308 Norma Magnum and thus am not certain
that Jim ever had a Lee Reloader to use that was properly designed for
his cartridge. Note that I have not looked terribly hard and could
well be wrong here. In theory, and with great care, one might use a
LEE Reloader in 308 or 30-06 or other 308 round to resize necks on a
308 Norma Magnum cartridge. But with a LEE Reloader (as opposed to a
very carefully adjusted die in a press), this would indeed be a
delicate business likely to go wrong. And, if his LEE Reloader was a
"one-off" from LEE, then perhaps they didn't get things quite right.

sta...@prolynx.com

Oct 24, 2008, 5:50:25 PM10/24/08
On Oct 24, 7:43 am, Jim <zivendine...@yahoo.com> wrote:
# I can tell you from personal experience, loading the very similar 308
# Norma Mag with a Lee Loader, you will have allot of problems getting
# your cartridges to feed and the bolt will be difficult to close by the
# third loading, even if you load mild powder loads.
#
The original Lee Loader doesn't do anything more than neck-size.
This is OK for a lot of applications, but may not be for belted
magnums. Even full-length sizing may not be enough. There's a guy
that invented a collet die that sizes down to the belt area that takes
care of the 3-4 reload problem. See http://www.larrywillis.com/

One of my shooting acquaintances has one of these, solved his problems
with a BAR in a belted caliber.

The Lee Hand Press does work, I've used it for sizing a whole bunch of
7.62 machinegun brass successfully. It can sometimes be had in
combination with some other Lee stuff at a significant discount.
Watch those fliers! I've got a whole kit in a tool box for reloading
on the go. Digital scales have gotten cheap enough to include one in
the kit and it takes up way less space than the old mechanical
jobbies.

Stan

FjLee

Oct 25, 2008, 7:18:31 AM10/25/08

# A LEE Reloader in 308 Norma Magnum?
#
# > But ultimately the root of Jim's problem may be the 308 Norma Magnum.
# As cartridges go, this is a rare bird.  I can not find evidence that
# LEE ever made a RELOADER in 308 Norma Magnum

Yes, LEE marketed a LL in .308 Norma mag. I have here in front of me
the instruction sheet and "LEE Products" sheet from my LL in 30-06.
On this sheet it says that a LL is available in 70 sizes. That
includes shotgun and handgun cartridges.

It lists all 70, and included is the .308 Norma.

I boought this 30-06 LL new.......mmmmmmm.........probably late
1960's. I'm sure it was less than 10 bux back then.

I've always been happy with LL's.....having used 'em in 12 gauge, 16
gauge, 30-06, .357 mag, .243, 7mm mag, and .300 Win Mag.

I may soon be looking to buy another LL for my .410 shotgun. I need
to measure the chamber on this shotgun, cuz the LL came in 2 chamber
lengths for the .410.

I sure wish I had a LL in 32-40 Winchester!!

Lee in Denver

jadel

Oct 25, 2008, 3:32:39 PM10/25/08
On Oct 24, 5:50 pm, FjLee <carken...@juno.com> wrote:
# # Subject line says it all:  Want complete unit.
# #
# # email: jjac...@koyote.com
#
# Well, I don't know if Lee still sells the Classic in.300 Win any
# longer, but they certainly did at one time.
#
# I bought a new one prior to my Wyoming moose hunt.  Loaded some hot
# loads using IMR4350 and 200 grain Nosler partition.  I used a bottle
# capper press rather than a hammer!!  These loads were fired in a
# Winchester 70.  Functioned fine, and was responsible for the harvest
# of a really nice Wyoming bull moose.
#
# That Lee Loader is sitting here on my desk.  So they do exist.
#
# Seems like I never get rid of any reloading stuff, so someone would
# hafta have a  _REALLY_  good story to talk me outta mine!!
#

Or make you an offer you can't refuse. (sorry, couldn't resist.)

I've used my Lee Loader in .375 Win for many years. Never had any
problem getting the rounds to chamber. If I do my part, my Ruger #3
will shoot clover leaf patterns at 100 yds.

BTW, they don't make the Lee Loader in .375 Win anymore, either.

J. Del Col

katorian

Oct 26, 2008, 7:31:35 AM10/26/08
i was given a set of Lee dies for 300 win mag for x mas in 1980 ..sadly i
never used them as i have a 270 that does everything ..they DO exist and
MUST work

jtow...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2012, 4:42:11 AM7/7/12

Yes they did, I was bidding on one on Ebay. They made a lot of different cartridges. A lot of these are now very rare. Best way to find them is to go to Estate sales. A 300 win mag Lee Loader does exists.

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net