M1A Scope Mount, Remove, Hammer?

Jon Oblad

Dec 21, 2001, 11:22:29 AM12/21/01
I've got a 3rd(?) generation scope mount (two screws) for my
Springfield M1A, which I recently installed on my rifle. The
installation instructions directed me to screw the scope mount down,
strike the mount with a rubber mallet, tighten the screws again,
strike again, and continue till tight. This I did.

If I want to remove the mount then replace it later, do I need to
perform this hammering procedure again? Or can I simply screw the
mount back on by hand?

- Jon Oblad

Learn about rec.guns at http://doubletap.cs.umd.edu/rec.guns

Rec.guns readers and MPFO team up with two-rifle raffle for the cause.
Order your tickets on Fulton Armory M1 Garand / Carbine package now by
clicking on www.direct-action.org

Barbarian

Dec 30, 2001, 6:37:34 PM12/30/01
Jon Oblad wrote:
#
# I've got a 3rd(?) generation scope mount (two screws) for my
# Springfield M1A, which I recently installed on my rifle. The
# installation instructions directed me to screw the scope mount down,
# strike the mount with a rubber mallet, tighten the screws again,
# strike again, and continue till tight. This I did.
#
# If I want to remove the mount then replace it later, do I need to
# perform this hammering procedure again? Or can I simply screw the
# mount back on by hand?
#
# - Jon Oblad
#
# ----------------------------------------------------------------------
I take it this is NOT the Springfield Armory "Gen 3" mount, since the
instructions on mine don't say anything about using a mallet to seat the
mount. I would imagine the idea is to get the best possible fit between
the mating parts on the receiver and the mount: once you've done that
the first time, I can't see any reason for having to repeat the process.
If this mount provides a rail for Weaver-style rings, how about just
removing the rings and scope and leaving the base on the rifle?

Jon Oblad

Dec 30, 2001, 9:35:12 PM12/30/01
On 30 Dec 2001 18:37:34 -0500, Barbarian <barb...@ripco.com> wrote:

#Jon Oblad wrote:

[...]

#I take it this is NOT the Springfield Armory "Gen 3" mount, since the
#instructions on mine don't say anything about using a mallet to seat the
#mount.

This is the mount:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/shop/?page=shop/browse&category_id=24ac8dfcb65f4b2fcda86a647b7ae0ae

The manual (actually a 12 panel fold out pamphlet) that came with the
mount states under the section "Fitting Third Generation Scope Mount
To Your Rifle", in part,

"5.Position rubber mallet directly ahead of front screw and hit rubber
mallet once using a hammer (Fig. 16).

6.Position rubber mallet directly behind front screw and hit rubber
mallet once using a hammer (Fig. 17).

7.Retighten front screw using large screwdriver. _Repeat steps 4-6
until screw will not turn after being hit."

Interesting that yours doesn't mention this, if we're discussing the
same mount.

In any event, further perusal of the documentation shows this, "If you
have carefully followed these instructions, your new Third Generation
M1A Scope Mount can be removed and reinstalled simply by using the two
thumbscrews." I guess if they wanted me to hammer on it every time,
they would have said so. : )

- Jon Oblad

"Mass movements can rise and spread without belief in a God,
but never without belief in a devil."
- Eric Hoffer, _The True Believer_

Clint McKee

Dec 31, 2001, 7:05:51 AM12/31/01
Hi Barbarian, Jon & Group!

This _is_ the recommended procedure for *any* M14 scope mount, _especially_
soft aluminum mounts (SAI's mount is aluminum), to allow the soft AL metal
to "seat" as best as possible against the steel receiver.

Many times when people complain that their M14 mount won't stay tight, they
are told to locktite the screws. Good advice, always, but this will not stop
the "loosening" in many cases, since it's the mount itself that becomes
loose as it imbeds itself against the receiver wall, and thusly this
"loosens" the screws.

On re-mounting, once the mount has been adequately "seated" against the
receiver, no further "pounding" should be necessary.

Hope this helps.

For lot's more M14 info & stuff, and a steel M14 mount, take some time at
our well known M14 web site at the url below.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the very kind interest!
Clint
Now, with on line ordering!
http://www.fulton-armory.com
http://www.fultonarmory.com

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of
servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your
chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye
were our countrymen. -- Samuel Adams, speech at the
Philadelphia State House, August 1, 1776.

Barbarian <barb...@ripco.com> wrote

# #