Romanian SKS stock replacement legality in California

Chris Hill

Jan 2, 2001, 2:14:27 AM1/2/01
Is it legal to replace the wooden stock on a Romanian SKS with a synthetic
stock in California? The stock is a normal rifle stock, not a Monte Carlo or
Dragunov. I just purchased this rifle and would like to know my options. The
stock is very worn, and is not nice to look at. I want to replace it with a
camo painted stock from NoUglyGuns ( http://members.home.net/nouglyguns/ )
but I don't want to become a felon. I understand that the Romanian rifles
have C&R status which means there are stricter rules on what you can and
can't do to the rifle. Thanks.

You can learn about rec.guns at http://doubletap.cs.umd.edu/rec.guns

David St. Hubbins

Jan 3, 2001, 12:02:11 AM1/3/01

as far as i know as long as you keep the 10 round mag you can put any stock
on it you wish under california law

atf well you have to check

SteelPig

Jan 4, 2001, 10:00:48 PM1/4/01
If you puschased it in the year 2000 in the People Republik of Kalifornia
you are in violation of Kalifornia's Assault weapons ban.
Please check on this.
As you had the year 2000 to register this weapon in the state of Kaliforna.

David St. Hubbins

Jan 5, 2001, 7:45:27 AM1/5/01
if you are in california the only bas sks is one that has a detachable mag
in it (well now in y2k+1 a fixed mag over 10 rounds)

if you have the fixed 10 rounder you can put a folder on it under california
law

but federal laws may be different

Chris Hill

Jan 5, 2001, 7:44:27 AM1/5/01
The Romanian SKS (regular rifle stock, fixed 10 round mag) is not an assault
weapon. It is not the SKS rifle that was banned in California. I believe
that was the Chinese "Sporter" that accepts the detachable AK magazines. The
Romanian SKS I believe is the model 45 and they are still legal in CA. You
can buy them at any Turner's.

Bruce Brodnax

Jan 5, 2001, 7:20:41 PM1/5/01
In article <Hod56.356$Hj7....@typhoon.sonic.net>,
David St. Hubbins <dhub...@sonic.net> wrote:
#
#if you have the fixed 10 rounder you can put a folder on it under california
#law

This is incorrect: no pistol-grip stocks (defined by an "anti-" controlled
bureacracy as any grip that extends down past the top of the trigger guard) on
semi-auto centerfires. A monte carlo replacement stock is fine on an SKS w/
fixed mag, a folder is not.

Ciao,

B. Brodnax

Rob Jones

Jan 5, 2001, 7:19:35 PM1/5/01
Wrongo, SteelPig! A stock Romain / Russian SKS is NOT considered an
Assault Weapon by CA law. It possesses NONE of the offending
characteristics that would require its registration. That's not to
say that one couldn't modify it to become a registerable AW, but in
its stock configuration, it is not an AW.

Rob

On 4 Jan 2001 22:00:48 -0500, "SteelPig" <ro...@dingos.net> wrote:

Rob Jones
robj...@lightspeedsystems.com

David St. Hubbins

Jan 5, 2001, 11:09:20 PM1/5/01
read the law if it doesnt have a detachable mag you can go to town with it
bucko as long as it is over 30 inches oal

Bruce Brodnax

Jan 8, 2001, 9:57:04 PM1/8/01
In article <85w56.479$Hj7....@typhoon.sonic.net>,

David St. Hubbins <dhub...@sonic.net> wrote:
#read the law if it doesnt have a detachable mag you can go to town with it
#bucko as long as it is over 30 inches oal

I *did* read the law, bucko: I suggest you re-read it for content, & suspend
your disbelief at the stupidity of the legislators, so you can actually derive
the meaning instead of depending upon your own wishful thinking. Pay
particular attention to the new, idiotic definition of "pistol grip" stock,
and the stated difference in legal status between tube-fed rimfire & fixed-mag
centerfire rifles.

The only way the fixed-mag SKS is classed as "not an AW" is with a
standard, non-"pistol-gripped" stock. Those crappy plastic folding stocks all
have pistol grips, and the much better & quite wonderful Dragunov-style stocks
also fit the new CA "pistol grip" legal definition (as do thumbhole stocks.)

All told, the original poster is safer going w/ the plastic Monte Carlo stock
which will have the much-needed longer length of pull [instrux for shooting
with issue-stocked SKS should read "Holding rifle, stick elbow in ear. Now
fire..."] w/o causing him to run afoul of any of the inane CA firearms
ordinances until the next round of anti-rights legislation.

Ciao,

B. Brodnax

David St. Hubbins

Jan 9, 2001, 7:39:34 AM1/9/01
read the law on regagun.org

it says

Semiautomatic Centerfire Rifles

(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a
detachable magazine and any one of the following:

(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the
weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip. OR

---it isn't a #1 with a fixed mag

(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the
capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

---it isnt a #2 if the fixed mag only holds 10
OR

(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less
than 30 inches.
----it isnt #3 unless the stock folds

please explain how it is illegal to have a pistol grip on a fixed 10 round
mag sks please

you are wrong, not me, don't give the law more power than it has