roses sold by catalog

Christine Owens

Feb 9, 1995, 6:45:20 AM2/9/95
Try:

Jackson & Perkins, 50 Rose Lane, Medford, OR, 97501-0704,
800 292 4769 (orders), 800 872 7673, 800 242 0329

Wayside Gardens, 1 Garden Lane, Hodges, SC, 29695-0001, 800
845 1124 (orders), 800 799 7275, 800 457 9712

White Flower Farm, P.O. Box 50, Litchfield, CT, 06759-0050,
203 496 9600 (orders), 203 496 9624, 203 496 1418

Good luck.

Chris Owens

>Does anyone know a reputable catalog that lists roses for sale?
>I really love them, have plenty of sun for them and would love more.
>Thanks for the help. Mary

Kris Benarcik

Feb 9, 1995, 9:01:00 AM2/9/95
In article <mrwhit01.2...@mailbox.syr.edu>, mrwh...@mailbox.syr.edu
(Mary R. White) wrote:

> Does anyone know a reputable catalog that lists roses for sale?...

Mary-

Two catalogs that carry some delightful species roses (great fragrance and
disease resistance) as well as modern selections are:

Royal River Roses and Antique Rose Emporium
Forevergreen Farm Rt. 5, Box 143
70 New Gloucester Road Brenham, Texas 77833
North Yarmouth, ME 04097 1-800-441-0002

We've ordered from the Antique Rose Emporium and have been pleased...
>Kris Benarcik
The Scott Arboretum

C. Tim Featherston

Feb 9, 1995, 1:59:25 PM2/9/95
These may help. They are from the rose FAQ.

MAIL ORDER ROSE SUPPLIERS

NOTE: In order for roses to get into Canada from the U.S.,
the nursery has to get inspected and receive a phyto-sanitary
certificate from USDA. Nurseries usually charge around $25.00
for this. The Canadian nurseries also have to have a certificate
from Agriculture Canada to ship in the US. This also applies
to individuals who would like to send wood (cuttings, budwood)
over the border.

ABBY ROSE GARDENS

Address: Burnham
Buckinghamshire SL1 8NJ
ENGLAND
Phone: (0628)603000
Fax:
Catalog:
Service:
Plants:
Delivery:

ANTIQUE ROSE EMPORIUM

Address: Route 5, Box 143
Brenham, TX 77833
USA
Phone: 409-836-9051
800-441-0002 (free of charge)
Fax: 409-836-0928
Catalog: $5 for "80 pages of wonderful pictures with info about
zone, blooming period, size, etc."
(Note: ARE has been mildly criticized on the net for
too-pessimistic zone ratings (this is far better than
the opposite, however).
Service: good service response reported
Plants: own-root
provide primarily old-world roses, but some early HTs
only a limited selection of Austins available
(and those by different names, due to trademark issues:
"English Yellow" is really Graham Thomas
"Roberta" is really Heritage
"English Apricot" is really Lucetta
"English White" is really Claire Rose
"English Dawn" is really Dapple Dawn

Maturity: roses delivered are 1.5-2 yr. old own-root plants,
including the Austins.
"smaller than grafted plants (of course),
but definitely NOT inappropriately small."
reports of blackspot on some delivered plants --
"ARE's catalog emphasizes their dislike of chemical use.
They don't actually claim to be all-natural, but perhaps
this might be related to the blackspot problem (which I've
found occasionally too)."
Delivery: Will ship to Canada.
October and March-May: Roses are grown in containers, and
delivered that way. (Since they aren't grown separately
then transferred to the container, the roots are not cut off.)
December-February: Roses are bare-rooted and then shipped on
the same day ... most other places dig them from the field
all at once in the fall, then keep them in refrigerated
until they're sold. Presumably, the plants can live for
years in a dormant state, some buyers may prefer ARE's method.
"They will deliver bare-root plants to Zones 7-10.
They'll send them to Zone 6 or less upon request, but
will not guarantee their condition."

ARENA'S ROSE COMPANY

Address: 536 W. Cambridge Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85003
USA
Email: aren...@aol.com (Syl Arena)
(include your snailmail address, so that they can send the info;
you may experience some delay)
Phone: 602-266-2223
Fax: 602-226-4335
Catalog: now available. text only, but informative
They also have the book: David Austin's English Roses.
Service: Syl Arena is a very pleasant and helpful person.
"Forward-thinking enough to actually use email!"
"Our roses are also available at nearly 50 nurseries
on the west coast. Write or call anytime; email is best. -Syl Arena"
Plants: Grafted HT's, Floribundas, OGR's and Austin English roses.
"Good selection of OGRs, eleven English roses,
and an interesting collection of hybrid teas.
They say they are currently propagating 50
varieties of English roses to be available next year."
Maturity: Field-grown
Delivery: Bare-root bushes delivered from mid-December to early April.

CLAUSE JARDIN

Address: 26, avenue Pierrre Brossolette,
91228 Bretigny Cedex, FRANCE
Phone: (1) 60 84 97 20 [Paris number]
Fax:
Catalog:
Service:
Plants:
Maturity:
Delivery:

CORN HILL NURSERIES

Address: R.R. 5, Petitcodiac
New Brunswick E0A 2H0
CANADA
Phone: 506-756-3635
Fax: 506-756-1087
Catalog:
Service: (Note: The owner is the author of 'Hardy Roses', sold in
some bookstores and by many of the mail-order rose catalogs.)
Maturity: 2nd-year plants; look healthy and grow well.
Plants: "good selection of cold-hardy, own-root old roses
(mainly rugosa and kordesii hybrids). The roses are
not only genetically cold-hardy but grown in a cold climate."
"a bit smaller than ARE's, presumably because
the growing season is shorter. Grown pesticide-free!"
Delivery: Will ship to U.S.; shipments bare-root only ($10) since
the US won't allow soil sent from any other country.
Potted plants ($12) available within Canada.
Ships 10/15 - 11/15 and 4/15 - 5/15.

COUNTRY BLOOMERS NURSERY

Address: Route 2, Box 33B
Udall, KS 67146
Phone: 313-986-5518
Fax:
Catalog: List available.
Service: Mike Morton or Sharon Gordon
Plants: Own-root heritage roses and miniature roses
Delivery:

DAVID AUSTIN ROSES LIMITED

Address: Bowling Green Lane
Albrighton
Wolverhampton WV7 3HB
ENGLAND
Phone: (0902)373931
Fax: (0902)372142
Catalog:
Service:
Plants:
Delivery:

GEORGES DELBARD

Address: malincorne
03600 Commentry
Paris, FRANCE
Phone:
Fax:
Catalog:
Service:
Plants:
Delivery:

EDMUND'S ROSES

Address: 6235 SW Kahle Rd.
Wilsonville, OR, 97070
USA
Phone: 503-682-1476
Fax: 503-682-1275
Catalog: Free. Lots of color pictures.
"I have always recommended the Edmunds catalogue to
anyone looking for an honest representation of the
varieties offered. Up until now, their catalogues
have been quietly attractive and characterized by
restrained descriptions that did not fail to mention
shortcomings as well as good qualities. I was sorry
to see that the most recent list, which arrived in
the mail a couple of weeks ago, seems to have been
influenced by the tarted-up graphics and hyperbolic
prose of some of the competition."
Service: "Excellent." "Very helpful over the phone, and if you have a
problem with a rose, they invariably give you a credit for
it or try to replace it." "Nice folks to deal with."
Plants: Contemporary roses. Mostly modern, grafted roses.
Maturity:
Delivery: They will ship bareroot roses in either fall or spring.
(mid-november through mid-may). The plants are packed really
well.

HARDY ROSES FOR THE NORTH

Address: Box 2048
Grand Forks, BC
CANADA V0H 1H0
Phone: 604-442-8442
800-442-8122
Fax: 604-442-2766
800-442-3122
Catalog: Descriptive, with pictures.
Service: "Good customer service."
Plants: own-root.
"They have **all** the Agriculture Canada new Explorer series
and Parkland series of hardy roses. They have Austin (some
they cannot ship to the US) and a selection of rugosas.
They also do custom propagation."
Maturity: 1 year old
Delivery: Will ship to U.S.
Shipped in pots (at least within Canada).
"Good packaging (for me at least)."
"Delivery in three days (from Vancouver to Montreal)."

HEIRLOOM OLD GARDEN ROSES

Address: 24062 NE Riverside Drive
St. Paul, Oregon 97137-9715
USA
Phone: 503-538-1576
Fax:
Catalog: $5 (a beautiful catalog -- well worth it as a reference guide)
Service: One of two companies licensed as U.S. agents by Austin.
"courageous enough to invest marketing $$$ in
what was really sort of arisky project [Austin roses]"
apparently no satisfaction guarantee;
reports of many ignored complaints by phone and letter
Plants: most complete offering of Austin roses of U.S. suppliers.
own-root old roses and Austins
Maturity: plants are extremely small and young, but most often survive
(they say their plants are 6-9 mo old., which
is arguably too young, yet recipients guess
the roses they got were even younger than that.
Many references to "twigs without roots")
This problem may be due in part to availability issue
(below), and HOGR attempt to make them available sooner.
Delivery: Does NOT ship to Canada.
Availability of newly released Austins will lag
behind Canada because of U.S. quarantine period.
Many reports of broken canes.
Unasked-for switching of plants from what was ordered,
when ordered plant is unavailable.
However: will ship at any time of year (except when
it is too cold for the plants to survive shipment.)

HERITAGE ROSARIUM

Address: 211 Haviland Mill Road
Brookville, MD 20833
Phone: 301-774-2806
Fax:
Catalog: rose list available -- large selection
Service: Nicholas Weber
Plants: old roses, shrubs, climbers
own-root and budded

HERITAGE ROSE GARDENS

Address: 16831 Mitchell Creek Drive
Fort Bragg, CA 95437
Phone:
Fax:
Catalog: Available
Service: Joyce Demits or Virginia Hopper
Plants: own-root old roses; large selection
Delivery: order ASAP; stock goes quickly

HORTICO SPRINGS

Address: RR1
723 Robson Road
Waterdown, Ontario
CANADA LOR 2H0
Phone: 416-689-6984
Fax: 905-689-6566
Catalog: $2
Service: "reasonably good" "very gruff on the phone,
but generally good service otherwise"
One report that "there was an error in the shipment;
it took six months to get an acknowledgement to my letter
asking for a credit."
Plants: grafted roses, not own-root.
good source of unusual varieties; Austins and some OGRs.
"Their selection is wonderful, especially for Kordes roses."
Maturity: large, well-pruned, healthy plants
Delivery: Will ship to U.S.
A couple reports of "poor packing, frozen plants, and
broken canes," and one of "dehydrated, twiggy plants."
However, others have not reported similar problems.
"Expensive."
They cannot ship to the U.S. any roses that other growers
(i.e. Wayside and J&P) have "exclusives" on.

JACKSON & PERKINS

Address: 2518 South Pacific Highway
PO Box 1028
Medford, OR 97501
USA
Phone: 800-872-7673 (free of charge)
800-292-4769 (free of charge)
Fax: 800-242-0329 (free of charge)
Catalog: Free
Contains pictures, description of scent/size/etc.
Service: "excellent service"
"it-will-live/bloom" guarantee and
good response reported by those using it
Plants: grafted roses only, none are own-root
Dr. Huey used as rootstock.
primarily HTs, modern roses, but
has several Austins, and is adding more for 1995
Maturity: Excellent high-quality roses with thick canes.
J&P strives for "virus-free" stock.
Delivery: "J&P does not ship anything to Canada, except their catalog
for those willing to pay !"
Shipped bare-root at appropriate planting time for your zone.
Generally very good, but occasionally the benefit of larger
roots that is normally bestowed by bare-root delivery
is compromised if J&P packs too many plants in one box,
trimming away too much of the root stock in order to fit,
so you might keep individual orders small.
If rose is unavailable, you will be asked whether you'd
like it to be sent the following year, so no unwelcome
"surprise" deliveries of roses not ordered.

KORDES

Address: W. Kordes Sohne
25365 Klein Offenseth-Sparrieshoop
Phone: (04121) 4870-0
Fax:
Catalog:
Service: "largest rose nursery in the world."
Plants:
Maturity:
Delivery:

LOWE'S OWN-ROOT ROSES

Address: 6 Sheffield Road
Nashua, NH 03062
Phone: 603-888-2214
Fax:
Catalog: List available
Service: Mike Lowe
Plants: Largest Bourbon collection in the world;
also very large hybrid perpetual collection.
Custom propagation--long wait, but such
rare varieties are not available elsewhere
Delivery: Will ship to Canada.

MARTHA S. DAVIES ANTIQUE ROSES

Address: 1575 Palm Place
Bartow, FL 33830
Phone: 813-533-3073
Fax:
Catalog: List available
Service:
Plants: Own-root antique roses of excellent quality;
complete stock of Bermuda Mystery roses.
Delivery: Can't ship to California

MENDOCINO HEIRLOOM ROSES

Address: P.O. Box 670
Mendocino, CA 95460
Phone: 707-877-1888
Fax:
Catalog:
Service: Alice Flores
Plants:
Delivery:

PEPINIERES LOUIS LENS s.a.

Address: Rudy Velle
Redinnestraat 11
8460 Oudenburg, BELGIUM
Phone: 0 59 26 78 30
(international prefix) 32 59 26 78 30
Fax: (international prefix) 32 59 26 56 14
Catalog:
Service:
Plants: "carries an assortment of spinosissimas and hybrids"
Delivery:

PETER BEALES ROSES

Address: London Road
Attleborough
Norfolk NR17 1AY
ENGLAND
Phone: (0953)454707
Fax: (0953)456845
Catalog:
Service:
Plants:
Delivery:

PICKERING NURSERIES, INC.

Address: 670 Kingston Rd.
Pickering, Ontario
CANADA L1V 1A6
Phone: 905-839-2111
Fax: 905-839-4807
Catalog:
Service: "just ok" "I've always been very satisfied" "good service"
"They should be credited with having developed this
line of produce, OGR, before the current fad, and to
have kept many varieties available when there was not
much demand for those. They contributed to put back
the old roses in gardens."
Plants: budded, multiflora rootstock, virus-free
"one of the biggest selection of antique and
old gardens roses in North America."
Maturity: "I've lost only 2 of their roses out of 60
in the past five years, despite extreme weather"
"excellent quality plants; vigorous"
"Their roses are grown in a colder climate zone
than many plants in the US [which makes them hardy]."
Delivery: Will ship to U.S.
Packaging problems reported, with many damaged plants.
"I had one plant mislabelled, but this happens."

ROSENGAERTNEREI KALBUS

Address: 90518 Altdorf
Hagenhausen, GERMANY
Phone: +49 9187 5729
Fax: +49 9187 5729 (same line as voice and manually started)
Email: joec...@cip.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de
(this email is only good as long as he is studying;
include your snail-mail addres and he will forward
it to the Rosengaertnerei)
Catalog: 10 DEM without pictures, because the colours in print
are never really true, or a short list for free.
Service:
Plants: Offers more than 400 varieties, including Old garden roses,
English roses and modern Teas and Polyanthas.
Maturity: Grafted roses when delivered are about 2 years old
(not own-root plants)
Delivery: In October and November, roses are barerooted and
sent by German Bundespost

ROSERAIE AT BAYFIELDS

Delivery: Does NOT ship to Canada.

ROSES OF YESTERDAY AND TODAY

Address: 802 Browns Valley Road
Watsonville, California 95076-0398
USA
Phone: (408) 724-3537 or 2755
Fax: (408) 724-1408
Catalog: $2
Service: helpful and courteous; "excellent!"; "flawless"
"really nice people, and very knowledgeable."
Plants: Old Roses
(The plants for both this company and Wayside are
reported to be grown by the same grower: Montebello
Rose Company of McFarland, California. Wayside's
roses are grown on Manetti rootstock. RYT's are
grown on Dr. Huey rootstock.)
Maturity: big, well-grown plants; budded on Dr. Huey
"The best bare-root plants I have ever received."
Delivery: Will ship to Canada.
Several reports of receiving virused stock.
(one person reported that every plant she
ordered died within 5 years, of mosaic virus).
However, most are otherwise pleased with condition of plants,
Delivery occurs January through mid-May

ROYALL RIVER ROSES

Address: 70 New Gloucester Road
North Yarmouth, Maine 04907
USA
Phone:
Fax:
Catalog: text only
Service:
Plants: Old Roses
Specialize in hardy roses. "Their bare-root
roses took forever to sprout, but were growing
well by the end of summer."
Delivery: Bare-root.

THE ROSSERAIE AT BAYFIELDS

Address: P.O. Box R
Waldoboro, Maine 040572
USA
Phone: 207-832-6330
Fax: (same)
Catalog: Free 20+ page Reader's Digest-size noncolor publication;
describes each rose accurately.
Also, a $5 video is available showing over 90% of
their roses as they really look in the field, which
follows the order of roses in the catalog. Comes with a
$1 coupon to use as a credit on your order.
Service: "The service is great. You can call and talk to the owner
about the plants, ideas for a specific rose for a specific
location, etc." Company gives a credit to next order
if plant fails to grow.
Plants: Own-root roses.
Specialize in "practical roses for hard places"
"Good number of selections in each variety:
Griffith Buck (Iowa State University releases ...
hardier than Austins); Austin English; Miniatures; and
OGs (gallicas, damask, alba, centifolia, moss, bourbons, rugosa)"
Maturity: "all plants have done very well and survived North Dakota
winters"
Delivery: By UPS or 2nd day air if you request.
YOU specify the shipping date.
Plants are shipped bare-root.

SEQUOIA NURSERY

Address: 2519 East Noble Ave.
Visalia, CA 93277
USA
Phone: 209-732-0190 or 209-732-0309
Fax: NONE LISTED
Catalog: "Miniscule, funny little thing; eclectic list of
old, new, unusual, and miniature roses."
Service: "THE BEST!" "Courteous folks."
Will replace bad plants.
Plants: Mostly miniatures, also OGR's.
Also some modern roses (some McGredys, for instance)
including some HTs.
Maturity: "Big" roses shipped well-grown in 4" pots.
Delivery: Good shipping. Ships year 'round in 4" pots.

SPRING HILL

Address: 110 West Elm St.
Tipp City, OH 45371
USA
Phone: 800-582-8527 (free of charge)
Fax:
Catalog:
Service: superlative customer service w/satisfaction guarantee
Plants: "Usually grown by the Weaks Farm"
Maturity: very good plants
(some argument here: some claim their SH bushes are equivalent
to or even better/more mature than J&P;
but two indicated lesser quality stock evidenced by
taking longer to root, not flourishing as well, lower survival
rate)
Delivery: Good packing in re-usable bedding material.
"If rose unavailable, will be sent following year,"
(so no "surprise" deliveries of roses not ordered).

TAYLOR'S ROSES

Address: P.O. Box 11272
Chicksaw, AL 36671-0272
Phone: 205-456-7753
Fax:
Catalog:
Service: (Run by Pete and Kay Taylor, "GREAT people")
Plants: Miniatures.
Hybridizers of 'Fairhope' (current TOP show mini)
and 'Chelsea Belle', and the new 'Jumping Jack Flash.'
Maturity: recipients reportedly very pleased
Delivery:

TINY PETALS ROSE NURSERY

Address: 489 Minot Avenue
Chula Vista, CA 91910-4833
USA
Phone: 619-442-0385
Fax:
Catalog: has color photos
Service: (Note: Nursery was established by the late Dee Bennett,
continued by her daughter and son-in-law, who
are now divorcing. Future management still undecided.)
Plants: Miniatures
Maturity: "healthy plants"
Delivery: Shipped in 2" pots year-round.

VINTAGE GARDENS

Address: 3003 Pleasant Hill Rd.
Sebastopol, CA 95472
USA
Phone: 707-829-2035
707-829-5342
Fax:
Catalog: $4 (rose list is free)
"a beauty and a wonder". "worth having." "a work of art"
no photos, but beautiful line drawings and some watercolors.
extremely well-written and well-edited.
Service: excellent; "You'll like 'em! Gregg Lowery is a nice guy to deal with"
Plants: antique roses; many not offered in other places
Maturity: one-year old, own-root. (limited quantities
of two-year plants available for 1995 only)
"good quality roses"
Delivery: Will ship to Canada.
bare-root shipment in January/February;
"beautifully packaged"
"shipped with great care"

WAYSIDE GARDENS

Address: PO Box 1
1 Garden Lane
Hodges, SC 29695-0001
USA
Phone: 800-845-1124 (free of charge)
Fax: None Listed
Catalog: Free ("everthing is overstated; for example, their hardiness
ratings are 1-2 zones too optimistic.")
Service: One of two companies licensed as U.S. Agents by Austin.
"courageous enough to invest marketing $$$
in what was really sort of a risky project"
However: "leave much to be desired re quality and service"
"greatly overpriced to boot"
Plants: old world and Austins; mostly perennials;
also carry a number of the more conventional varieties of
hybrid teas and floribundas, which is what they started with
(also see supplier "Roses of Yesterday and Today")
"It is my understanding that they propagate the Meilland roses
in the US (Jardins de Bagatelle, Yves Piaget, etc.)"
(The plants for both this company and Wayside are
reported to be grown by the same grower: Montebello
Rose Company of McFarland, California. Wayside's
roses are grown on Manetti rootstock. RYT's are
grown on Dr. Huey rootstock.)
Maturity: "almost everything i've received from them has looked healthy
and done well."
Delivery: Availability of newly released Austins will lag
behind Canada because of U.S. quarantine period.

contributions by many additional posters, but especially:

karen baldwin
marion lee brandes, jr.
jeri collari
marie-helene dupuis
pulak dutta
everett jennings
rod lym
bob morin
lourain pennington
robin rosenberg
liz schwarzin copeland
lynn thomson
boyd zenner

end of Mail-order rose suppliers
rec.gardens.roses FAQ, part 5/5

Janine Dahms Walker

Feb 9, 1995, 8:38:29 PM2/9/95
Mary-lookin rec garden roses and there is a Frequently Asked Questions
(FAQ) section that lists most rose catalogues and comments on service.
It's updated monthly.
Janine