cat pee in banana plant

Sambo

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

Hey all,

I have a large potted banana plant in my living room which recently the
kitty has mistaken for a litter box. Icome home every once and a while
and the top soil is all over everywhere and theres a little pee pee in one
spot. My question is, what can I do to prevent this?? Please help...I
don't want my plant to be killed.....thanks!!

Wood, Victor

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

In <sacharof-020...@annex5-29.accessone.com> sach...@accessone.com writes:

How about puting the pot in a plastic bag and sealing it around the plants stem
so th emoggy cant get in? Or I suppose you could kick the cat out before you
go out ;-)

Victor

regards
Victor Wood. SMS +49 171 311 66 61
ROSAT Near realtime software operations (SWOPS)

Home page http://www.muc.de/~victor
For satellite images look at ftp://ftp.rb.op.dlr.de

"No on seems to realise how trivial this find is. These are not people
you are going to invite home for a drink. NASA's microscopic worms are
so primitive that they make our earthworms look like Einstein."

Oxford philosopher Bill Newton-Smith on the discovery of fossiliesed
bacteria on Mars.

Libby J. Goldstein

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97
to sach...@accessone.com

I keep the kitties out of large potted plants by covering the soil with
either large hunks of bark mulch or big rocks. I buy both by the sack at
the garden center. Other people apparently use them as decor in the
garden.

Libby

Ribes60

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

Kill the cat!!

Sambo

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

Thanks for the tips y'all. I put some big rocks in the pot and watered
thoroughly to get the pee out of the soil. I also moved the plant a
little bit to trick the kitty...hope it works.

Sambo

Mary Ann Cushman

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

My kitten did something similar in my lavender last winter, then my older kitty copied her. It did'nt
stop until I took the plant out, washed the pot, and replaced the soil. Baaad kitties!!!!!:-{

James Yorton

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

In rec.gardens "Libby J. Goldstein" <li...@igc.apc.org> writes:
: I keep the kitties out of large potted plants by covering the soil with
: either large hunks of bark mulch or big rocks. I buy both by the sack at
: the garden center. Other people apparently use them as decor in the
: garden.
:
: Libby
:
:

You could place several Barrel Cactus (> 4" diameter) in pots
around the base of the Banana plant. The cat should get the hint.

Jim Yorton j...@xnet.com
Zone 5, Palatine, IL USA http://www.xnet.com/~jjy
Tropical Plant Page: http://www.xnet.com/~jjy/plants

Chriss Flagg

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

Placing any sharp cacti around the plant will discourage the cat from
using it. I used 4" pots of plants and I alternated them with the big
rocks looked interesting for awhile. But the cats got the message I
just moved the cacti from plant to plant as they gave up on one and
moved to another. Now they leave all house plants alone. This year I
might try it in my garden out front that has been well fertilized by the
neighbor cats. Also I can now bring in a new house plant and they won't
even get too close without looking for the sharp thorns.
Chriss

A. Hutchinson

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

Sambo wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I have a large potted banana plant in my living room which recently the
> kitty has mistaken for a litter box. Icome home every once and a while
> and the top soil is all over everywhere and theres a little pee pee in one
> spot. My question is, what can I do to prevent this?? Please help...I
> don't want my plant to be killed.....thanks!!

A few possibilities: Try a product called "Bitter Apple" or Bitter Lime-
spray the plant (harmless, I believe) and pot before going out.

Or some folks I know recommend putting aluminum foil around the top of
the pot or putting gravel or some uncomfortable thing like that on top .

Amber Hutchinson

Rick Cook

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

"Wood, Victor" wrote:
> Please help...I
>> don't want my plant to be killed.....thanks!!
>

>How about puting the pot in a plastic bag and sealing it around the plants
>stem
>so th emoggy cant get in? Or I suppose you could kick the cat out before
>you
>go out ;-)

Not a good idea since it cuts down on the soil's ability to breathe.

One of the most common, and effective, solutions is pine cones. Cover the
top of the pot with pine cones and kitty won't find it at all attractive.
OTOH it looks kinda good as a soil cover.
(And if the stubborn little so-and-so insists on knocking the pine cones
off, put a paper collar around the rim of the pot and put two layers of
pine cones on there.)

--RC

R.C.Call

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

I have solved this problem in the past by putting rocks in the pot.
Cats won't bother digging in the rocks, it doesn't look bad, and it
doesn't harm the plant.

--
Chris

R.C.Call, Lucent Technologies Bell Labs Innovations, 908 946-1133
rcc...@lucent.com
(or: rcc...@bell-labs.com, rcc...@babel.ho.lucent.com)

Mary Ann Cushman

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97
to ah...@cas.albany.edu

Hi-
Could you post where one might find bitter apple or bitter lime spray? Does it smell OK to people?-
sounds like it would. Thanks.
Mer

Chriss Flagg

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

Most pet stores carry Bitter Apple. I found it in the Dog Training
section of Petsmart.
Chriss

Jan Miller

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

On Sun, 2 Feb 1997, Sambo wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I have a large potted banana plant in my living room which recently the
> kitty has mistaken for a litter box. Icome home every once and a while
> and the top soil is all over everywhere and theres a little pee pee in one

> spot. My question is, what can I do to prevent this?? Please help...I

> don't want my plant to be killed.....thanks!!

You could try Pine wood chips. My cats were doing the same
thing. Our city has a Christmas tree chipping program. Several years
ago I picked up some wood chips when I dropped off my tree. I spread a
layer on the plants that were attracting the cats. The cats stopped and
have not started again dispite the fact that I repotted that plant and
there are no longer wood chips on the top. Its worth a try.

Thompson Family

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

My kitty, Cheddarbeast, was using a large ficus fig pot for a litter box.
My solution to the "potted plant for a litter box" problem is to place
large, smooth pebbles on the surface of the soil. This gives Cheddarbeast
nothing to scratch up, thus discouraging the litter box behavior. It
looks nice and doesn't bother the plant. Try it, it may work for you

Thompson Family

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

Thompson Family

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

Thompson Family

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

CPScheiner

Feb 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/8/97

My wife and I share our hillside with a herd of deer. We wanted a both a
decorative and vegetable garden; but no fence, no silly things hanging
from the trees, and no lion dung fertilizer. The result of our gardening
success is a video on veggie gardening in deer country and a handbook that
contains the most comprehensive listing of deer resistant plants available
anywhere in the United States. If you would like some free information,
please send your snail mail address to my e-mail address. I'll include
three of my family's "secret" recipis for your trouble.

Happy deer free gardening. Craig Scheiner
Craig Scheiner

Joonsma

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

PEE PEE PROBLEMS???

Try putting a drop of vinegar on your cat's tongue. Then mist your plants
with diluted vinegar. I've never tried this, but it should work. Read it
in a Cat Book.

Good Luck,

Joonie

Patty C

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

I attended a seminiar on bananas and one of the instructors said that an
old custom in the tropics was for people to pee on bananas. It's a good
fertilizer for them. However, if you're talking about a potted plant in
your house, forget this note.

MGFarm

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

You can find Bitter Apple at your local pet store. This spray has many
uses and does not have a bad smell to people.

na...@sketchgrowl.com

Oct 13, 2019, 4:38:17 PM10/13/19
On Sunday, 2 February 1997 09:00:00 UTC+1, Sambo wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have a large potted banana plant in my living room which recently the
> kitty has mistaken for a litter box. Icome home every once and a while
> and the top soil is all over everywhere and theres a little pee pee in one
> spot. My question is, what can I do to prevent this?? Please help...I
> don't want my plant to be killed.....thanks!!

I'm sorry for bumping this old thread, but I really feel like I have some advice to offer you - and you seemed to really need it at the time.....

One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.

My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked. He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at.

It wasn't until I found "Cat Spraying No More" that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior.

Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore :)

Here's a link the their site if you're interested in checking it out: nomorecatpee.com

I hope you guys don't mind me sharing this. Cheers!