Substitute for lettuce

ronald

Apr 23, 2005, 4:46:15 PM4/23/05
Hi all,
I am looking for a substitute for lettuce to use in salads, as I can't
digest lettuce very good anymore. I have tried corn salad and couldn't
get it to grow or produce very much. Endive is too bitter.

Does anyone know of a good salad plant that produces well and has a
mild taste?
Thank you
Ronald

GA Pinhead

Apr 23, 2005, 5:04:49 PM4/23/05
Spinach? Beet Greens? I like them.

John!

Katra

Apr 23, 2005, 4:52:18 PM4/23/05
"ronald" <ron...@juno.com> wrote:

A very common substitute is fresh spinach leaves.
Chard will also work.

Hope this helps? :-)
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell及ou
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

lgb

Apr 24, 2005, 12:54:38 PM4/24/05
ron...@juno.com says...

> Does anyone know of a good salad plant that produces well and has a
> mild taste?

Spinach? Orach? mild Mustard greens?

Try some of the Oriental greens as well.

I like a little arugula to spice it up, but you may find it too strong.

John Savage

Apr 28, 2005, 3:37:09 PM4/28/05

As others suggested, young spinach or silverbeet leaves would be a good
substitute. Maybe shredded cabbage, e.g., the small sugarloaf, or any
variety harvested young. Young dandelion leaves, nasturtium leaves, celery
leaves. Mustard or cress seedlings, or any sprouts: bean, pea, etc., though
I have heard that some of these (viz., alfalfa) should be stirfried and not
eaten raw otherwise much of its nutrient content is unavailable to our
digestive system. (Similar thing applies to tomatoes--the fruit, I mean.)

Trevor Woods

Apr 30, 2005, 10:43:19 AM4/30/05

ronald <ron...@juno.com> wrote in message

Maybe you could try growing Rocket. It may not be mild enough though. It has
a taste that reminds me of cashew nuts. I find I can grow it all year, and
its become my most reliable green leafy salad vegetable.

lgb

Apr 30, 2005, 12:22:18 PM4/30/05
In article <4273995e$1...@news.eftel.com>, tre...@omninet.net.au says...

> Maybe you could try growing Rocket.

Rocket is another name for arugula.

Frogleg

Apr 30, 2005, 4:11:39 PM4/30/05
On 23 Apr 2005 13:46:15 -0700, "ronald" <ron...@juno.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>I am looking for a substitute for lettuce to use in salads, as I can't
>digest lettuce very good anymore.

If the problem is digestive, I would guess any similar green leafy veg
would have a similar effect. You could sample spinach and perhaps some
of those 'mixed baby greens' available in supermarkets to test, before
going to the trouble of growing them. There are many types of salad
other than "tossed green."

omi

May 1, 2005, 2:51:15 AM5/1/05
ronald <ron...@juno.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I am looking for a substitute for lettuce to use in salads, as I can't
> digest lettuce very good anymore. I have tried corn salad and couldn't
> get it to grow or produce very much. Endive is too bitter.
>
> Does anyone know of a good salad plant that produces well and has a
> mild taste?

Malabar spinach might be a good choice if you garden in a warm climate.

Olin

Loki

May 1, 2005, 4:07:01 AM5/1/05

I use rocket a lot (rucola).
--
Cheers,

ronald

May 4, 2005, 8:35:10 PM5/4/05
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I have found something to try from Johnnyseeds.com, a "lettucy type"
Chinese cabbage. And also try the beet and chard leaves as I already
grow them but didn't realize they could be used as a salad.
Thanks
Ronald.

harrie...@reachforchange.org

May 29, 2017, 9:36:54 AM5/29/17
Try dandelion leaves too

May 30, 2017, 6:01:31 AM5/30/17
On 05/29/2017 06:36 AM, harrie...@reachforchange.org wrote:
> Try dandelion leaves too

Purslane (tastes like water cress) or radish sprouts perhaps?

George Shirley

May 30, 2017, 7:16:32 AM5/30/17
We use kale instead of lettuce a good bit of the time, makes good
sandwiches and salads.